Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving named new GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
I'm curious. What hasn't he done yet? That's making you unimpressed.
It’s not only what he hasn’t done but what he has done:
Ryan Reaves for 3 years
Klingberg 4.5m for a crappy defensive player on a team that needs to improve defensively.

What he hasn’t done:
With so many players leaving he failed to keep at least one of Schenn, Acciari or Oreilly.

I appreciate your patience and optimism but as someone mentioned this is a desperate hire and the moves are reflecting that

Does our team look better today than it did 2 days ago?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Ryan Reaves for 3 years
Klingberg 4.5m for a crappy defensive player on a team that needs to improve defensively.

What he hasn’t done:
With so many players leaving he failed to keep at least one of Schenn, Acciari or Oreilly.

I appreciate your patience and optimism but as someone mentioned this is a desperate hire and the moves are reflecting that

I hear you.

Top priorities for me coming in to the offseason were.
Auston and Willy contracts (Lets see)
Resign Accairi and Schenn (Maybe O'Reilly)
Build a stronger blue line
Murray contract
Draft.... It is only a sleeper pick if you pick that player at an appropriate slot
Samsonov
Fill out the roster with the best players you can

So far fail ALL over the map!

In fact not exagrating by saying Klingberg might be the worst regular defensive player available, and not at all what this group with a soft reputation needed as their big first move.

Reactions: leafers

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I will say tho, Lou left him some pretty heavy grenades as parting gifts as well. The Marleau contract and Zaitsev contracts that Dubas had to move started the trend of mismanaging assets. We were right up against the cap with 3 major RFA’s to sign.
The key here was RFAs. The fools in sports media were losing their heads "they cant let Nylander sit a year! ". THAT started this entire bad contract streak. The should have traded him, period.

Tavares was a UFA, a former #1 pick and years in the league., These three were not and they had little leverage. It was the worst of Dubas decisions without question bloating those.contracts. No way an RFA should get paid $10 or $11M when they didnt even win a round. Still only have one round which they didnt even deserve lol.

The team is flawed and it isnt going to be fixed obviously.

Last edited:

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Ryan Reaves for 3 years

What he hasn’t done:

You sure defence was the issue for a team that couldn’t score more than 2 goals a game in the Florida series?

Let’s bring Dubas back so he can throw huge money and term at a average injury riddled goalie and average dman.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
So far BT hasn’t done anything to really make an impactful change. We’ll see what he manages, but to me what we needed was a culture reset, thus requires shaking up the core four with a trade, a message that it’s about the team above these 4 guys. At the very least I would have liked to see Keefe gone, but we’ll see I guess. Last year I watched the odd regular season game and playoffs (were normally i would watch all games). If this core looks the same I think even regular season I’m not sure I’ll watch. But to MLSE the core 4 bring in tons of merchandise or other types of sales and marketing opportunities, so it’s likely we’ll continue our culture of money is greater than winning.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I'm curious. What hasn't he done yet? That's making you unimpressed.
Will I'm curious too. Would you rather have Kampf and Reaves for a total of approx $4M or O'Reilly at almost the same price?

Also, drafted a 3rd line prospect in the 1st round, let the window close on Marner and Matthews before their NMC set in without deals in place (obvious now), signed another Tyson Barrie type player (exactly what they don't need).

How am I doing for starters?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Will I'm curious too. Would you rather have Kampf and Reaves for a total of approx $4M or O'Reilly at almost the same price?

Also, drafted a 3rd line prospect in the 1st round, let the window close on Marner and Matthews before their NMC set in without deals in place (obvious now), signed another Tyson Barrie type player (exactly what they don't need).

How am I doing for starters?
You’re assuming O’Reilly wanted to sign here, which I very much doubt. Klingberg is a no brainer on a one year deal. Can’t evaluate a draft pick a week after he’s picked. You’re doing great, keep it up

Reactions: myleafs

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I actually forgot Dumba was available. Kinda surprising I’ve heard nothing about him.

Definitely unlikely but Rielly, Dumba, Klingberg, McCabe, Brodie, and Liljegren certainly would be a different look. Way more puck moving ability

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
"Maybe you should wait and see what he does"

Why? He already did the biggest thing to the roster, he is running it back. And instead of running it back traditionally with skilled players he is bringing in over the hill vets and goons who can't play. We'll be slower and worse this season with nothing to look forward to come post season.

Reactions: thewave

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Treliving has done a very good job in free agency thus far. He's filled two of the Leafs biggest needs by bringing in a legit top six winger with grit/pest like qualities in Bertuzzi and a top four defencemen with strong offensive acumen in Klingberg. Adding Reaves isn't too shabby either.
Get a legit goaltender and maybe another depth scorer and we'll be golden in my opinion

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Despite this move today, I don’t see how we’re a better team. Our D isn’t Cup serious, he has some work to do.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
starting to gain some faith in Brad.... I like what he has done so far, still pissed we lost Acciari, but maybe he did not want to stay with the leafs? who knows, exciting off season for sure!, love having Bertuzzi in the blue and white, even if its only a season it will be awesome to watch him play for the leafs!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad