Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving named new GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
“Really smart guy,” an NHL player agent who has done business with Treliving said. “He’s a ball-buster and not afraid to tell you to you know what. No issue if he’s the guy the Leafs hire.”

If the Leafs get to a point where one of Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner or William Nylander is to be traded, no one we’ve talked to thinks Treliving wouldn’t be able to make it happen for Toronto.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Coming into a really tough spot but have to hope he picks the right coach and makes a few key moves to get us over the top.

Although this was from 2014 so his opinion could have changed but this is what he said about how he views the game.

"I think the style of play, people talk about big and whatever word you want to use, I think you need to have heavy teams now," he said. "I think you have to play a heavy game. That's not just a personal preference. Turn on the TV tonight and watch the games."

"There are steps along the way. We've got to take a lot of steps but in order to be there at the end, to build a championship, you do have to have a blueprint and you look at the games that are being played now. It's hard hockey. It's heavy hockey. It's a man's game. It's a big boy's game out there right now. In order to have success, I fully believe you have to have a team that can play in those games."

Last edited:

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I think there's something to be said for the fact that Treliving is neither an inexperienced "rising star" nor a grey beard treading on past glory. He was a once touted AGM who has gone through the growing pains of doing the job at the NHL level, so hopefully he's learned a trick or two and is able to build something special here.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
So in the world of speed dating, they ”settled” I guess you’d say?

(I do respect BT and maybe he turns out ok in TO) but seems like ShanShan was handcuffed and looked for someone with immediate experience and ability to get up to speed tomorrow morning. It was a short list all along. May not be the long term solution. I hope for BT it works, he seems to be a good guy.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
What a lucky break, the first name they were publicly linked to also magically happened to be the perfect candidate

his dad also happens to be good buddies with Ed Rogers and Larry Tanenbaum, it's actually an incredible coincidence that the perfect person for the role is a longtime family friend of prominent MLSE board members

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Coming into a really tough spot but have to hope he picks the right coach and makes a few key moves to get us over the top.

Posted this in another thread but this is what he said about how he views the game.

"I think the style of play, people talk about big and whatever word you want to use, I think you need to have heavy teams now," he said. "I think you have to play a heavy game. That's not just a personal preference. Turn on the TV tonight and watch the games."

"There are steps along the way. We've got to take a lot of steps but in order to be there at the end, to build a championship, you do have to have a blueprint and you look at the games that are being played now. It's hard hockey. It's heavy hockey. It's a man's game. It's a big boy's game out there right now. In order to have success, I fully believe you have to have a team that can play in those games."
Since people are gonna take this as him just wanting goons I'd like to remind everyone that this guy offered Gaudreau 10 million over 8 years or whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad