NCAA: Bowl Season 2022-23: The Annual Test of Wills, as in “Will I Watch This?”

Sep 19, 2008
I'm at the bar drinking beer and the rice game on. How they get a bowl at 5-7 yet army can't at 6-6 🤔

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Dylan Raiola 5* QB announced he isn’t committed to Ohio State today. If it goes the way it should, Nebraska is getting a REALLY good one. He’s an insanely talented player.
why tf is a 5* QB going to f***ing nebraska?

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011

Keep 'em coming!!!

Apparently you guys are being a really big pain in our ass for 5* Safety Derek Williams out of Louisiana.

I need someone to offer Hartline a OC job or something. The WR recruiting Ohio State has is incredible. They just snagged a 5* out of Miami for 2024 and probably will get another 5* out of Miami in the next couple of weeks for 2024

Elvis P

I got 9 lives, cat's eyes
Dec 10, 2007
Black Sabbath
I want to create a system where the top 2% get all the $ and the 98% get totally screwed. Oh wait, we already have it and it's called NIL.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The players ain't getting screwed and that's all I care about. I had a friend who was a five star guy. He played a non-QB position where a five star guy would get paid HUGE. Not everything in school went exactly as it was supposed to even though he did everything he was supposed to, and he tore his ACL in an NFL camp. This guy's parents didn't have money and he didn't take any under the table. This guy was pretty much a saint. He made a measly NFL signing bonus as an undrafted player. The signing bonus was about what any regular person would make working for a month. He only got that because he went to a school five star players go to, and in the NFL that connection gets you a look. In today's landscape he would have gotten a huge check on signing day.

I had another friend who had just two offers from FBS schools, took one and it paid off well in the end but while he was in college his family was so broke I can't completely put into words exactly how broke they were. I'm talking asking loan sharks for money level broke. The level of player he was (All American level), I'm pretty sure similar level players get paid 6 figures but even 20,000 dollars would have saved this kid's family a world of trouble.

This is so far overdue, like, I don't want to say what I think about people who don't see the big picture here. You don't understand what some of these families were doing while their kid was in school or what the kids were having to do. Some people only see it from the college fan level, sanctity of the game level because they don't have experience with the other side of the story.

Also Dabo is full of shit does he expect us to think he got DJ out to South Carolina all the way out from LA for free? Lol.

Last edited:

Elvis P

I got 9 lives, cat's eyes
Dec 10, 2007
Black Sabbath
... This is so far overdue, like, I don't want to say what I think about people who don't see the big picture here. ...
Agreed. You just don't get it. Your friends could and would have been receiving a nice, generous salary under a fair, equitable system, but you just don't see the big picture.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Agreed. You just don't get it. Your friends could and would have been receiving a nice, generous salary under a fair, equitable system, but you just don't see the big picture.
Under the fair and equitable system that was supposedly there pre-NIL my friend made 0 dollars for being an All-American and his dad had to go around asking people for money to send to his son. The guys who recruited him took other jobs while he was in school but they didn’t have a transfer portal, he couldn’t leave. There are some things I’m being vague about because I’m not going to name drop or post identifying info. I see the big picture which is that a player should be looking out for themselves only and the system should be engineered to that end. Nobody is getting hurt by NIL and the transfer portal. Now you can just pack up and leave if you don’t like it. At least someone will pay for you to afford to be able to move.

If you’ll recall I was also responding to what Dabo said, which is just peak hypocrite.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I want to create a system where the top 2% get all the $ and the 98% get totally screwed. Oh wait, we already have it and it's called NIL.
What? Most schools that are doing NIL correctly, essentially have a base salary for all scholarship players on rosters. You are obviously going to have guys making more in the Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Bijan Robinson's of the world.

Under the fair and equitable system that was supposedly there pre-NIL my friend made 0 dollars for being an All-American and his dad had to go around asking people for money to send to his son. The guys who recruited him took other jobs while he was in school but they didn’t have a transfer portal, he couldn’t leave. There are some things I’m being vague about because I’m not going to name drop or post identifying info. I see the big picture which is that a player should be looking out for themselves only and the system should be engineered to that end. Nobody is getting hurt by NIL and the transfer portal. Now you can just pack up and leave if you don’t like it. At least someone will pay for you to afford to be able to move.

If you’ll recall I was also responding to what Dabo said, which is just peak hypocrite.
The Dabo take is really funny considering he paid some of those QB's/DLs to go there.

What's going on in the NIL world is no different than what was happening pre-nil. Look at the recruiting rankings when people supposedly "weren't getting paid" to when they are.

If anything it evens it out, because you have Oregon/Miami and some random schools making it really hard for the best teams/schools signing players.

See Deion last year and this year with a DB out of Florida.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
East Carolina and Coastal Carolina battling in the Birmingham Bowl, which is in Alabama. And some people made the trip.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Oregon scores with 19 seconds left. PAT hits the upright and goes in. 28-27

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well, the Holiday Bowl lives up to his former reputation.

Sep 19, 2008
I said I'd watch more bowl games this year, then watched a few minutes of the first bowl this season before giving up. Barely seen any since but just saw on news reports that Arkansas beat Kansas 55-53 in 3OT. In a bowl season that has largely been blowouts this is one of the rare close games this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad