NCAA: Bowl Season 2022-23: The Annual Test of Wills, as in “Will I Watch This?”

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It’s Bowl season! That means copious amounts of unabashedly corporate meaningless college football will infest ESPN over the coming weeks under the guise of rewarding programs for their efforts this season and getting to play either weekday afternoons in neutral sites, if not up against NFL games. Some games may even have fans on the stands. Some students and program supporters will try to convince themselves they haven’t moved on to basketball.

It all starts Friday morning at 11:30am ET when Miami of Ohio plays UAB in the Bahamas Bowl.

#25 UTSA and #24 Troy both are 11-2 teams who won their conferences, and for that they will be forced to play in the Cure Bowl in Orlando at 3:30ET on Friday. I guess for some of these teams, it’ll be nicer to be home for the holidays and they can get their Florida recruiting in.

Cincinnati and Louisville begin the slate on Saturday as they get their game in before the NFL starts, are in Boston for the Fenway Bowl at 11am.

The big one for the weekend, has Florida making the trip all the way out to Las Vegas against none other than the Beavs! #14 Oregon State will be the highest ranked team we see this weekend, looking to get their 10th win. 2:30 on ESPN.

ABC will have two games, the LA Bowl with Washington State and Fresno State, and the New Mexico Bowl with SMU and BYU.

After Dark will be the Frisco Bowl between North Texas and Boise State, in case you need something after Bills/Dolphins.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA

I realize this was announced 5 months ago, but it's so dumb. The Rose Bowl has no meaning anymore. Also, the CFP is dumb and unnecessary. College football used to be special, but now it's trying to be the NFL and has lost a lot more than it's gained. I realize no one here is going to understand or agree with what I'm saying.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell

I realize this was announced 5 months ago, but it's so dumb. The Rose Bowl has no meaning anymore. Also, the CFP is dumb and unnecessary. College football used to be special, but now it's trying to be the NFL and has lost a lot more than it's gained. I realize no one here is going to understand or agree with what I'm saying.
No, I totally understand, but it is probably my age speaking. (not knowing how old you are) I never thought I'd miss the good old days of wondering which bowls would invite which teams, how it would shake out in the National title picture blah blah blah. But yes, I now yearn for those days.

Reactions: Btlegend082

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bowl games lose some lustre as more and more top rated players skip the game to prevent injuries from occuring like they did to Jake Butt and Jaylon smith. Which is a smart move for the players.

Matt Corral was close to having a serious leg injury in his Bowl game last season.

Is Hall going to start for BYU or has he decided to forego the game and concentrate on the draft?

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I was looking at the list of bowl games and was wondering where the Outback Bowl was. I'm so used to specific sponsers doing the bowl games that I thought one of the biggest New Years Day games was actually missing.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I always liked the bowls as fun random games to watch/bet during the holidays but jhc there's at least 10-15 too many (and has been for at least a decade). I think I saw a 5-7 team in one this year.

Wondering if the expanding playoff format (which I hate. Think 4 teams is fine and max should be 8) eliminates a few and some of the "better" post-Christmas ones become playoff games.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

Ironically enough expanding the playoffs will make the Rose Bowl relevant again. I regret smaller bowl games not being relevant anymore it is what it is at this point. NIL and the immediate transfer rule are what ruined CFB.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
As a fan of a team whose best case scenario is usually a middling bowl at best (Pitt) I do enjoy the bowls, and the weird sponsorships, and odd locations. I probably won't watch many of them, but it's nice to be able to turn on the tv and find some football on, so I say the more the merrier

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
i am literally going to order some cheez-its now

i havent had breakfast yet and that's always bad news with me

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
i am literally going to order some cheez-its now

i havent had breakfast yet and that's always bad news with me

If you want to try something different, add them to a peanut butter sandwich and give that a go

I found it to be terrible, and my wife asked me what I was thinking, but who knows, maybe I put them on there wrong side down

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
If you want to try something different, add them to a peanut butter sandwich and give that a go

I found it to be terrible, and my wife asked me what I was thinking, but who knows, maybe I put them on there wrong side down
try putting bacon and bananas on a peanut butter sandwich

for real it's f***ing great

Reactions: GKJ
Sep 19, 2008
Normally wouldn't watch such lower-tier demeaning bowls like this but hey it's afternoon football and there's nothing else to watch lol

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This game is also a good example of why only players in the top 20 of the draft should be opting out of these bowl games. Some of the Troy defenders here are really playing great football like it's a huge showcase game, because it is. How many people usually watch these teams? Surely some of these kids are getting on NFL radars here.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Who did Oregon St. piss off that as the #14 team in the country they're relegated to the Las Vegas bowl a week before Christmas?
The PAC-12 bowls don’t have a picking order so it’s a free for all and the bowls decide which teams fans are more likely to come out that way. Also usually means UCLA and Washington State are more likely to get sent to El Paso because they have less fans.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Didn't realize UTSA's QB (also a very good QB) signed up to be a 7th year senior next year. Woof.
How do you get to be a 7-year senior?

Who did Oregon St. piss off that as the #14 team in the country they're relegated to the Las Vegas bowl a week before Christmas?

The PAC-12 bowls don’t have a picking order so it’s a free for all and the bowls decide which teams fans are more likely to come out that way. Also usually means UCLA and Washington State are more likely to get sent to El Paso because they have less fans.

If you get a good payout, probably cool to get to be home during the holidays.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Dylan Raiola 5* QB announced he isn’t committed to Ohio State today. If it goes the way it should, Nebraska is getting a REALLY good one. He’s an insanely talented player.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What are they doing in the FCS playoffs?

1671304223238.png

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Way to go Beavs!! 10-win season for Oregon State after a 30-3 win over Florida.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad