Post-Game Talk: Bouchare score in Montreale

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Maybe not, but it’s amazing how many guys recover to play the day after the regular season is done.

I don’t trust a league that can’t even enforce its own rules on a day to day basis or CBA to be able to parse out what’s LTIR f***ery or not. The NHL is too incompetent to beleive they are keeping win-at-all-costs teams in line.

In fact, I heard a radio hit from a former player who said he was asked to go on LTIR from the team and did so at the request of the team. Shit like that does happen.
What I mean is even if you don't like TB and Vegas putting Stone and Kuch on the IR, both guys wound up there because they required actual surgeries. In Stones case it was two back surgeries in the same year. One could easily argue they didn't need to stay on it for as long as they did, and could have come back before playoffs, but that doesn't change the fact that they legitimately needed to be placed on it to begin with.

Kane nursing a sore groin isn't the same thing. If doctors said he's f***ed something up and will need surgery regardless, then you can start considering it.

But suggesting they just throw Nurse on IR for the rest of the year to "recover" is ludicrous.

Edit: Nevermind the fact that you'd have to have a couple of trades already lined up waiting to be signed sealed and delivered before you could even do it anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: MessierII

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What I mean is even if you don't like TB and Vegas putting Stone and Kuch on the IR, both guys wound up there because they required actual surgeries. In Stones case it was two back surgeries in the same year. One could easily argue they didn't need to stay on it for as long as they did, and could have come back before playoffs, but that doesn't change the fact that they legitimately needed to be placed on it to begin with.

Kane nursing a sore groin isn't the same thing. If doctors said he's f***ed something up and will need surgery regardless, then you can start considering it.

But suggesting they just throw Nurse on IR for the rest of the year to "recover" is ludicrous.

Sure they aren’t being completely egregious about it. They need some semblance of a story to make it fly. But even as you said, delaying them coming back after recovery i would classify as LTIR f***ery. And sometimes too these plans could be years in the making, with surgeries timed and recovery timelines used to coincide with the start of the playoffs. I find it a bit odd that every player that sucks and has a crappy contract that they aren’t living up to on the Leafs to gets sent to “Robidas Island”. That’s quite the injury “luck” with almost all their failed players from a 6.25M Matt Murray to a 4.15M Klingberg getting sent off.

And then there’s this. Landeskog is skating with the team at practice starting 3 days ago. And yet he’s still a “long ways off”. The surgery is already done, and now the Avs just wait out his recovery time until the playoffs start? It’s suspicious to say the least.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

Edit: Nevermind the fact that you'd have to have a couple of trades already lined up waiting to be signed sealed and delivered before you could even do it anyways.

Surgeries have nothing to do with it, Doctors can sign off for any medical reason and they do. If theres a surgery that they can exaggerate recovery for, all the better. No one cares.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Surgeries have nothing to do with it, Doctors can sign off for any medical reason and they do. If theres a surgery that they can exaggerate recovery for, all the better. No one cares.
I don't believe in either the Vegas or TB instances that doctors were just signing off on whatever, or planning it years prior. They were legitimate cases of serious injuries that required real time off. The extent of that time off is 100% up for debate though, and fairly so. I'm not saying I agree with it. I don't however, think in any of the recent cases people like to grumble about, that teams just decided to remove their best players from their roster for a season for minor reasons. I think Edmonton would be incredibly stupid to remove someone like Nurse or Kane for the rest of the year unless they required significant attention. It's not some "aha gotcha! Now we have an extra 9 mil" plan. It completely bonkers.

If people disagree that's fine and we can leave it there.

Reactions: RegDunlop

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
If all one did was listen to last nights I think you may have come way thinking that Montreal dominated the 5 vs 5 play. All Louie could talk about was how Montreal was winning all the battles and limiting the Oilers chances. They made some great defensive plays for sure and got excellent goaltending, but this game could easily have been 5-1. The Oilers top two lines just chewed them up at 5 vs 5.

I must say that I was impressed with Montembeault. He looked very calm in net. The Habs are trying to sell Allen as a solution to other team's goaltending but right now he is probably their #3. With a year left at just under $4M they may have to retain a lot just to give him away for a late round pick.
As I've stated in other posts - I like Louie but am seeing what others are talking about.

First game I've ever noticed how bad. I honestly listened intently to him and he did not say one encouraging comment for Edmonton until late in second period.

Agree wholeheartedly with your assessment.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
If you have an electric vehicle with bidirectional charging you could connect it to your home and use it as a power source.

California is pushing for it to be standard on every electric vehicle because they have blackouts due to heat waves. It actually helps the grid get back online sooner.

*I don't have an electric vehicle but the tech is very promising.
And then you're stuck at home

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

The problem here is that Stone needed surgery for a while, but they targeted and chose that time to maximize their LTIR for a run. They planned to exploit the cap and then they exploited the cap. Tampa, meanwhile, sat on Kucherov for weeks or even months, pretending they couldn't clear him. He was a superstar from shift #1.

You're right that Oilers can't just have a player go "ouch" and abuse this. They'd need the barest justification and for LTIR cushions to be in the right place. Unfortunately, Colorado seems primed to try this with Landeskog.

Reactions: TB12

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't believe in either the Vegas or TB instances that doctors were just signing off on whatever, or planning it years prior. They were legitimate cases of serious injuries that required real time off. The extent of that time off is 100% up for debate though, and fairly so. I'm not saying I agree with it. I don't however, think in any of the recent cases people like to grumble about, that teams just decided to remove their best players from their roster for a season for minor reasons. I think Edmonton would be incredibly stupid to remove someone like Nurse or Kane for the rest of the year unless they required significant attention. It's not some "aha gotcha! Now we have an extra 9 mil" plan. It completely bonkers.

I’ll admit there’s a lot of wishful thinking in my Nurse plan. I don’t mean it as a concrete plan that I think has a realistic chance of happening. Those other teams had better back stories to sell their LTIR f***ery to the league. But IF the opportunity ever arises we should take full advantage of it, like I suspect other teams have in the past. We saw with Eichel how team doctors can have varying opions, and it’s not an exact science to say this is exactly how an injury should be dealt with and exactly how long it will take. There can be differences in interpretation in the medical field that opens up oppurtunities to put those plans into action:

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

Also I must say that these are top end players. And top end athletes do not want to miss games. If we're talking a couple games timeline to gain financial / player advantage for their team, I'm sure they'll agree. But for the most part I doubt it.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
That's not really a contradiction to what I noted.

The things that make a high character hockey player more likely to bare down and win aren't necessarily the same things that make a high character person be a good person.

Eakins is an idiot but he had a relatively salient point in this regard - "we're not looking for future son-in-law's here."
It's a romantic fairy tale that Montreal is different.

Reactions: TB12

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

Kane missed a game due to injury earlier and has been supposedly playing hurt and looking mediocre. Would this team stand a better chance in the playoffs if they just shut him down for the season and brought in an additional 7M winger and ran them both in the playoffs? Obviously yes. Could they get a doctor to convince the league? Yes. Should they? Also yes

Kane had a major surgery last season surely he could use the extra time off as much as we could use an actual top 6 winger. Some GMs are WAY less scrupulous about this than others, and they win cups.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Our last 21 games = Win 8 in a row. Lose 3 in a row. Win 10 in a row.

This f***ing team man :laugh:

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I listened to a Habs podcast for fun called Locked on Canadiens. The guy said the Oilers probably deserved to win this game, but he said it was tight until the Oilers got to run around and do whatever they liked without getting called. Hooks, holds, etc. Said Oilers were doing it all game.

Sounds like the opposite of what was said here lol

• Haha
Reactions: TB12 and 5 14 6 1

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
It was nice for those Habs fans in the stands to yell Boooooooooooooosh when we were in the power play in overtime.
Our power play was sputtering all game and McDavid touched the puck, Evan was wide open and the fans yelled Boooooosh and voila Boooooosh-bomb!

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
So even with the Rancid Woody start, where the Oilers gave up like 23 goals off of the rush in 13 games, they rink 6th overall in rush chance scoring chances against. Under Knob, I would say they are tops in the league or 2nd.

1705297589705.png

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I kind of worry about that game. First game back after road trip and setting team record..... Usually means a night off. But maybe it's a good thing it's against Toronto.. boys shouldt not have any problems getting up for this game
Me2
Leafs have been losing so they might come out flying
Would like to keep the winning going
Packers won, beat Cowboys
Oilers beat Habs, now beat Leafs
Great start to week

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Sure they aren’t being completely egregious about it. They need some semblance of a story to make it fly. But even as you said, delaying them coming back after recovery i would classify as LTIR f***ery. And sometimes too these plans could be years in the making, with surgeries timed and recovery timelines used to coincide with the start of the playoffs. I find it a bit odd that every player that sucks and has a crappy contract that they aren’t living up to on the Leafs to gets sent to “Robidas Island”. That’s quite the injury “luck” with almost all their failed players from a 6.25M Matt Murray to a 4.15M Klingberg getting sent off.

And then there’s this. Landeskog is skating with the team at practice starting 3 days ago. And yet he’s still a “long ways off”. The surgery is already done, and now the Avs just wait out his recovery time until the playoffs start? It’s suspicious to say the least.
Landeskog's situation is going to be interesting. If he comes back in the playoffs and is anywhere close to his old self that would be a massive boost for the Avs. But it is still a long shot. His surgery is very rare for elite athletes and the main goal is just basic life functions. On the flipside if he is back next year but is no where near his old self his contract is problematic. With Landeskog on the roster the Avs would have less than $3M in cap with only 16 players signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad