Bottom 10? Edit: 6th worst, trending down, season over

wretched34

Dec 16, 2013
Lethbridge
Oilers are now only ahead or Arizona. 30th of 31 teams

I think you forgot an entire conference when looking at league standings....
However, Montreal and Vancouver are playing each other right now, and both sit one point behind Edmonton, meaning they will fall another spot in the standings before nights end, moving them into 27th. They will then be 2 points out of 29th, so it is still very possible to finish bottom 3.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
However, Montreal and Vancouver are playing each other right now, and both sit one point behind Edmonton, meaning they will fall another spot in the standings before nights end, moving them into 27th. They will then be 2 points out of 29th, so it is still very possible to finish bottom 3.

Sorry, true. I forgot Buffalo. Oilers are only ahead of 2 teams for winning %

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The line to apologize for my "over reaction" starts to the left. I accept cards, small gifts, and general public apologies :)

It's ridiculously pathetic that I turned out to be right. We all know my "general attitude" is very pessimistic, and I tend to skew to the darker side when it comes to my prognosis. The fact that they might actually be WORST than what I thought they would be is hopelessly sad. If Chia and Tmac and his band of idiots are back next year, I'm not even sure I'll watch games next year. I've never been more pissed off to be right.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The line to apologize for my "over reaction" starts to the left. I accept cards, small gifts, and general public apologies

It's ridiculously pathetic that I turned out to be right. We all know my "general attitude" is very pessimistic, and I tend to skew to the darker side when it comes to my prognosis. The fact that they might actually be WORST than what I thought they would be is hopelessly sad. If Chia and Tmac and his band of idiots are back next year, I'm not even sure I'll watch games next year. I've never been more pissed off to be right.
Even as the year started to spiral I thought the Oilers could bounce back. But they never did. There were a few stretches that they played well before going back to old habits. To me the game that defines the season is the very second one against the Canucks. The Oilers just (easily) dispensed of the Flames and were riding into Vancouver thinking they could just easily roll over Vancouver. They were wrong. So wrong. The Canucks skated circles around them and made them look foolish. It was a perfect display of the arrogance this organization acquired not only after last year's success, but combined with the media constantly pumping their tires, it was a perfect storm.

It baffles me that the Oilers continue to display the same arrogance game after game, year after year. It was only last year that they decided to take hockey seriously and often pounded opponents that they should actually beat. This year... Well, just look at the two Buffalo games.

If the Oilers were just missing the playoffs I'd be okay with just hitting the reset button and trying again. But no, not this. Not getting constantly embarrassed at home. Not having a legendarily bad PK in their own barn. Not game after game of this shitshow. Not being bottom 5 in the league. People need to be fired, and a lot of them at that. It starts at the top. Chiarelli needs to be canned. As well as essentially everyone in the front office and on the bench. That includes Bob Nicholson. What an abject failure he's been. The team is actually WORSE off than under Chiarelli's predecessor. How is that possible? We have too many bloated contracts on middling players, next to no assets, and very few players in the pipeline that are of blue chip quality.

Something needs to change with this team, both on and off the ice. This is not acceptable.

Reactions: Jamin

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yup. Literally every single person in the front office should be fired. I have exactly ZERO faith that this will occur. I don't even think they will fire Chia, which is almost laughably absurd, but will likely end up being reality.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Heres another one of those end of the season threads that are goingto make some people laugh.

It actually makes me cry

I made because of the statement I made in the 2nd post, MANY of you are far to Excited of the proclaimation that the other shoe has dropped, that last year was a fluke, that the team is really just garbage. Many of you are delighting in the struggles to a very uncomfortable extent.

Hi again. Did you ever accept my bet?

Oilers = :facepalm:

Or it could as easily be early season struggles. These things aren't straight lines like we like to imagine they are.

So you're in camp, last year was a fluke then?

very much so

Lol we won't be bottom 10

#1 corsi for and #30 PDO right now.

Lots of reasons to be pissed but this team won't be bottom 10 when the dust settles.

Probably Bottom 5

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
took a look back in this thread to see when I completely gave up on the team.
I was worried on Nov 6, and completely gave up and cursed the team November 17.
so basically like any other oiler season in the last 10.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible

s'okay. If there's one thing I'm not worried about it's Edmonton's ability to fail.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Not much positive to pull out of this **** show. Waited decades for a decent team, trading stars, the best in to nhl for spare parts. No salary cap so everyone that was any good went to other teams, then what we thought was rock bottom and drafted "THE" top prospect. I would love to say something good here.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The line to apologize for my "over reaction" starts to the left. I accept cards, small gifts, and general public apologies :)

You were right and I was wrong. I can't believe how far this team and a number of its key players have fallen this season. When it's worse than you thought, you know that we are ****ed.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I'm at the point where I no longer mind losses. Gimme some Dahlin/Boqvist so Chiarelli doesn't make some braindead move to trade RNH/Draisaitl/Puljujarvi for a defenseman worth half their value.

Reactions: ujju2

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I want the Oilers to take a d-man no matter how they finish so they can stop searching for a potential top scoring d-man. If they finish with the 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th overall, like I think they will, then please take one of Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard or Smith. That is all. o_O

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The Oilers are a mere 8 points from being DFL and it will be fewer if they don't win their next game.

At this rate does it matter if we're last, 2nd or 3rd last? The only difference is that we get a better shot at Dahlin if we are closer to the bottom. I want to see some growth for Puljujarvi and for McDavid to win another Art Ross, beyond that I don't gaf what happens the rest of the season as it's a lost cause and has been for a long, long time.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
At this rate does it matter if we're last, 2nd or 3rd last? The only difference is that we get a better shot at Dahlin if we are closer to the bottom. I want to see some growth for Puljujarvi and for McDavid to win another Art Ross, beyond that I don't gaf what happens the rest of the season as it's a lost cause and has been for a long, long time.
That depends on if finishing lower increases the chances of sweeping changes.

If it doesn't then it really says a lot about the front office.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
That depends on if finishing lower increases the chances of sweeping changes.

If it doesn't then it really says a lot about the front office.

Yeah, I want to finish as low as possible to try and "force" the hand of Katz into firing EVERYbody. I don't think Chia is going to get fired at this point, but maybe going 5-15 the rest of the way will make Katz wake the F up and see what a joke Chia is.

I don't care about the draft, and I'm tired of cheering for lottery wins. If we draft high, then great I guess, as it will certainly help, but until we have competent management, all the draft picks in the world don't mean a damn thing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah, I want to finish as low as possible to try and "force" the hand of Katz into firing EVERYbody. I don't think Chia is going to get fired at this point, but maybe going 5-15 the rest of the way will make Katz wake the F up and see what a joke Chia is.

I don't care about the draft, and I'm tired of cheering for lottery wins. If we draft high, then great I guess, as it will certainly help, but until we have competent management, all the draft picks in the world don't mean a damn thing.

For all of the complaining about Puljujarvi's slow development on this board, the difference between 1st and 4th OA can be huge. Had we picked 2nd OA in that draft we would've landed Laine. 6th instead of 7th in Nurse's year we could've had Monahan, etc. I want as high of a pick as possible, it will help the team whether we have the same or a new GM. You can't preach moral victories to a team that was seen as many as a contender and instead is in the running for 1st OA. The more losses the better chance of at least a new coaching staff.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
The organization is going to look realllllllllll f***ing amateur if they don't completely clean house of mgmt and the coaching staff. This shit is so unacceptable at this point that there shouldn't even be second guessing by Katz but who knows the clown has allowed MacT and Lowe to still have ties with this organization was a red flag the moment it happened.

Reactions: ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad