Bottom 10? Edit: 6th worst, trending down, season over

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
and yet Calgary is 30th in the league in scoring.

That doesn't matter in this conversation. In fact that just probably shows how superior Calgary's D are to Edmontons if anything. And they're still .500+ on the season so I'm not sure what you're trying to say .

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
That doesn't matter in this conversation. In fact that just probably shows how superior Calgary's D are to Edmontons if anything. And they're still .500+ on the season so I'm not sure what you're trying to say .
Calgary's D is and was always better than the Oilers
my point being, it's not like their awesome offensive-minded defensemen are aiding the forwards to score more goals

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I think it's time to accept we are going to have to "retool" which hopefully doesn't last as long as the "rebuild".

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Calgary's D is and was always better than the Oilers
my point being, it's not like their awesome offensive-minded defensemen are aiding the forwards to score more goals
They have 3 guys that would lead our dmen in points. I think the problem is their lack of high end forward talent (Sam Bennett still has 0 points lmao) and their garbage bottom 6.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The ones saying Hamonic isn't worth 1st+2 2nds are the same ones who said Hamilton sucks after a couple of months of being traded for a 1st+2nd.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
he still leads the defense in ES scoring but keep making things up :laugh:

they aren't going to take out a guy who leads the defense in ES points
This is due to Russell spending a lot of time on a unit paired with our topline. Any dolt including Gryba and a goalpost might accumulate pts that way. The 2nd line had been seeing more of Larsson-Klefbom because the 2nd line needs more help.

In anycase Russell has 2EV pts and we're early in the season. The data point in that limited sample is not meaningful yet.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think the two Alberta teams have the worst bottom six's in the league.
No excuse for it either being right in WC. Other NHL clubs, almost all of them find good later pick depth players right under our nose, from the prairies, and the two member teams from the Area flunk the local test. I think both clubs devalue bottomsix and just give them away as well.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
No excuse for it either being right in WC. Other NHL clubs, almost all of them find good later pick depth players right under our nose, from the prairies, and the two member teams from the Area flunk the local test. I think both clubs devalue bottomsix and just give them away as well.
Pouliot and Pitlick would be pretty nice right now. Same with Oesterle on D.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Easy bet. Are you prepared to lose another bet to me?

Considering you've already lost your avatar to me once something far more vile would be appropriate here.

Lol... ya you talk a big line. You took that bet when the Oilers were already down 4-2. What a brave f***er you are. :) Why didn't you take the bet when I offered it when the game was still tied 2-2? I manned up and took the bet anyway after you were too chicken shit to take it when the game was tied.

Sure I'll take your bet again. The bet I "lost" to you was for a month and I went above and beyond losing my avatar until they win 5 in a row... (could be a while). :)

I stand by the FACT that Russell is better than Hamonic. Hamonic is overrated and a plug both defensively and offensively.

Looking at his numbers over the last 3 years, he's a detriment to his team when he's on the ice and that continues this season.

The bet I stated was that Russell beats Hamonic in +/- and pts this year. If Hamonic beats him in both... it's a win for Hamonic. If Hamonic beats him in even one of those categories it's still a win for Hamonic as I'm big enough to go for an outright win instead of half-assing it and worrying about games played, icetime, injuries, PP time, corsi and any other bullshit.

Straight up bet... Russell beats him in both those categories. 1 month avatar on the line.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I will also take the bet. And honestly, it doesn't matter if Hamonic isn't putting up points. Thats not his job, Why the hell would Calgary go out and acquire another Offensive D-man for their top 4? Hamonic is much more comparable to Larsson than Russell, and if you can't see that then your delusional. Larsson has 2 points and is a -3 by the way, so by your logic he is worse than Calgary's top 4.

Bet accepted... same terms as in two posts above.

Ya it's great when a dman doesn't put up pts and is in minus. Hamonic is the king of dmen by those measures. :)

Unfortunately those attributes will be what wins me the bet so at least you'll take solace in Hamonic being a "better" dman in your mind anyway.

Last edited:

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
The ones saying Hamonic isn't worth 1st+2 2nds are the same ones who said Hamilton sucks after a couple of months of being traded for a 1st+2nd.

Hamonic's true value isn't as High as Calgary paid. Some of what they gave was the premium to keep him away from Edmonton. Same with Hamilton. Working so far...Edmontons thin blue line is costing the Oilers points.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hamilton is a much much better player than Hamonic though. Hamilton was a top pairing guy who was about to really cement himself when traded. He was traded for pennies.

Hamonic was traded for a good haul after a rough year and was never at any point as good as Hamilton.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Are people. Saying we should have given up Yamamoto and 2 seconds for hamonic?

Or hall plus assets in the prior year?

Look forward to revisiting to see if Yamamoto is worth more than a rapidly declining hamonic.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So 9 points through 13 games, on pace for a 57 point season. That would be the worst season in our teams history. Stop and think about that for a second. Then stop and think about whether you all still think I'm wrong that we are going to finish bottom-10. I was somewhat joking with the "bottom-5" comment, but the reality is that its a very real possibility right now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If they're taking a step backwards then it's better to know sooner than later. If it's not going to be a situation that turns this season, then its better to have the best possible pick in the 2018 draft and continue to build around the younger group we have, hopefully adding another core piece. A new GM can offload Chia's mistakes as time goes on.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So 9 points through 13 games, on pace for a 57 point season. That would be the worst season in our teams history. Stop and think about that for a second. Then stop and think about whether you all still think I'm wrong that we are going to finish bottom-10. I was somewhat joking with the "bottom-5" comment, but the reality is that its a very real possibility right now.
1. Calgary (WIN). Last season: 4-0-0
2. Vancouver (LOSS) Last season: 4-0-1 (1 point)
3. Winnipeg (LOSS) Last season: 3-0-0 (2 points)
4. Ottawa (LOSS) Last season: 0-2-0
5. Carolina (LOSS) Last season: 1-1-0
6. Chicago (WIN) Last season: 2-1-0
7. Philadelphia (LOSS) Last season: 1-1-0
8. Pittsburgh (OT LOSS) Last season: 0-1-1
9. Dallas (WIN) Last season: 2-1-0
10. Washington (LOSS) Last season: 1-1-0
11. Pittsburgh (LOSS) Last season: 0-1-1
12. New Jersey (WIN) Last season: 2-0-0
13. Detroit (LOSS) Last season: 2-0-0 (2 points)

So as it stands, we've missed out on 5 points we had last season. It's not good, but it's probably not as bad as you're making it out to be. We need to stop dropping games vs the East, but we need to put up similar numbers vs our division as we did last season and we'll start to even out.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Another difference from last year however is that our competition is doing much better. Canucks, Avs, Flames, Kings, and now Knights. Sharks are not much worse either. Anaheim is doing fine considering their injuries.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Avs are about to enter the tank. They just traded their #1C. Vegas will fall soon--likely when they start playing divisional games. Same with the Canucks. We just need to beat those teams like we did last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad