Bottom 10? Edit: 6th worst, trending down, season over

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
Pretty much this, yes.

Larsson is better than any dman on the Flames. He is easily an elite top pairing dman. It's no coincidence Klefbom always seems to have the poorer plus/minus even when playing the majority of time with Larsson.

Klefbom is a work in progress and I've never been as high on him as most here.

I would definitely take Russell over Hamonic. I see nothing to make me believe that Hamonic is better... not his defense... not his offense.. not his ability to stay healthy... not even his contract.

Hamonic gets paraded around as this near top pairing awesome dman when his play has long since declined from anywhere near that level.

Take of the Oiler-colored glasses bud. If you think Larsson is better than any of the Flamer’s top 3, your about as good as Charelli at judging talent. There’s an argument that Larson’s on par with Brodie, but Giordano and Hamilton are far and away better D-men. Both offensively and defensively.

And Russell over Hamonic ... my sides.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pretty much this, yes.

Larsson is better than any dman on the Flames. He is easily an elite top pairing dman. It's no coincidence Klefbom always seems to have the poorer plus/minus even when playing the majority of time with Larsson.

Klefbom is a work in progress and I've never been as high on him as most here.

I would definitely take Russell over Hamonic. I see nothing to make me believe that Hamonic is better... not his defense... not his offense.. not his ability to stay healthy... not even his contract.

Hamonic gets paraded around as this near top pairing awesome dman when his play has long since declined from anywhere near that level.
Man you've really jumped the shark. What a homer post. Who could with a straight face say that Larsson is better than any Flames D and that Russel is better than Hamonic. c'mon, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Russel wouldn't even make the Flames lineup today.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Man you've really jumped the shark. What a homer post. Who could with a straight face say that Larsson is better than any Flames D and that Russel is better than Hamonic. c'mon, that's absolutely ridiculous.

His post was a great post.you are so negative.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

Lol... what makes Hamonic better than Russell?

Is it his minus 2 rating on a team that is plus or his 2 pts... half of what Russell has and Russell is +1 on a negative team?

I guess the sparkling year Hamonic had last year tips the scale in his favour.

Minuses are the way we rate dmen now I guess. The more the better. The Yak scale of visual defensive awareness. :)

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Here's a bet all you Hamonic/Flames lovers up above won't take.

I bet Russell outscores Hamonic AND has a better +/- than him as well this season.

1 month avatar bet... put up or shut up.

Should be an easy bet to take since you all think Hamonic is so much better.

Edit... woops, my mistake, Calgary is a minus team now again... I just assumed with 4 dynamic, fantastic, exceptional top pairing dmen they would have to have a positive goal differential. Guess not.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What ridiculous posts. Because somebody realizes that Calgary has better D than the Oilers and that Hamonic is obviously better than Russell they are labeled Flames lovers. How about just objective?

I don't know any source or citation or fan other than you that would be saying Russell is better. In case you haven't noticed Russell is old, slower, really struggling and shows shot block nearly all the time now and so that hilite reels regularly show him flat on his belly on the ice as a GA is scored. He's only getting worse. his best is behind him

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
What ridiculous posts. Because somebody realizes that Calgary has better D than the Oilers and that Hamonic is obviously better than Russell they are labeled Flames lovers. How about just objective?

I don't know any source or citation or fan other than you that would be saying Russell is better. In case you haven't noticed Russell is old, slower, really struggling and shows shot block nearly all the time now and so that hilite reels regularly show him flat on his belly on the ice as a GA is scored. He's only getting worse. his best is behind him

So take the bet then if it's so blatantly obvious. I knew you wouldn't back your garbage when it came down to actually making a bet. Flames fan from Calgary Puck in disguise scared to put his money where his mouth is. :)

Oct 15, 2008
So take the bet then if it's so blatantly obvious. I knew you wouldn't back your garbage when it came down to actually making a bet. Flames fan from Calgary Puck in disguise scared to put his money where his mouth is. :)
He seems to be full of contradictions. Its quite sad actually.

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014

I bet Russell outscores Hamonic AND has a better +/- than him as well this season.

Edit... woops, my mistake, Calgary is a minus team now again... I just assumed with 4 dynamic, fantastic, exceptional top pairing dmen they would have to have a positive goal differential. Guess not.

I’ll take that bet, however Hamonic is a stay at home defenseman and if Russell isn’t scoring he’s pretty much useless out there. Also, Hamonic gets 9% of the PP time Russell gets so obviously Russell’s going to get more points. So I’ll bet that Hamonic will have a better +/- and a better ESCF% by the end of the year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Easy bet. Are you prepared to lose another bet to me?

Considering you've already lost your avatar to me once something far more vile would be appropriate here.

Reactions: OilCountry93

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I’ll take that bet, however Hamonic is a stay at home defenseman and if Russell isn’t scoring he’s pretty much useless out there. Also, Hamonic gets 9% of the PP time Russell gets so obviously Russell’s going to get more points. So I’ll bet that Hamonic will have a better +/- and a better ESCF% by the end of the year.

Any PP time Russell has now he’ll lose once Sekera gets back.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You don't have an Avatar to lose..

"Flames fan" hahaha, no, not hardly.

Hey, I've been a fan of Russell before but I do think he's past it, he's telegraphing his shot blocks to a great degree, and he's also telegraphing when he tries to slide to block a pass across. The Philly game for instance being a more blatant example of this. I do think opponents have a pretty good book on Russell and can exploit him.

I won't take the bet because the metrics you cited would not properly differentiate the D. As noted one seeing time on the PP is just going to get incidental pts on that basis alone. +/- is a team based metric and usage stat.

CNeufeld

Feb 5, 2009

Flames fan here for the salty tears... I'll take your bet.

C

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
I will also take the bet. And honestly, it doesn't matter if Hamonic isn't putting up points. Thats not his job, Why the hell would Calgary go out and acquire another Offensive D-man for their top 4? Hamonic is much more comparable to Larsson than Russell, and if you can't see that then your delusional. Larsson has 2 points and is a -3 by the way, so by your logic he is worse than Calgary's top 4.

Reactions: OilCountry93

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
Even when Sekera gets back, only a fool would think Larsson/Klefbom/Sekera/Nurse/Russell/Benning are better than Giordano/Hamilton/Brodie/Hamonic/Stone/Bartkowski. The whole league knows that D is Edmonton’s biggest weakness and Chia did absolutely nothing to improve it in the off season. You’re the biggest homer on earth if you wouldn’t trade our 6 for theirs. Their D is better but our forwards and goalie are better. And we have the best player in the game. If Chiarelli would actually addressed the D, no doubt in my mind we’d be ahead of them right now.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Even when Sekera gets back, only a fool would think Larsson/Klefbom/Sekera/Nurse/Russell/Benning are better than Giordano/Hamilton/Brodie/Hamonic/Stone/Bartkowski. The whole league knows that D is Edmonton’s biggest weakness and Chia did absolutely nothing to improve it in the off season. You’re the biggest homer on earth if you wouldn’t trade our 6 for theirs. Their D is better but our forwards and goalie are better. And we have the best player in the game. If Chiarelli would actually addressed the D, no doubt in my mind we’d be ahead of them right now.
he has

defense before Chia:

Nikitin-Ference
Klefbom-Schultz
Marincin-Fayne

2 NHLers....2

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Are there actually people who think Russell is better than Hamonic? He's already been relegated to the bottom pairing 11 games into his big new contract. I bet he's healthy scratched before the season ends.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
lol, not a chance...for who?

he's not better than Hamonic but Russell does lead the defense in scoring
Once Sekera gets back I bet Gryba will be drawing in some nights for Russell. Guy has been brutal and the only reason he leads the defense in scoring is because he was gifted gravy minutes on the PP and Klefbom can't hit the side of a barn. McLellan is finally getting fed up with his garbage play and is barely giving him more minutes than Auvitu.

Dumping Russell next summer should be priority #2 after getting rid of Lucic.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Once Sekera gets back I bet Gryba will be drawing in some nights for Russell. Guy has been brutal and the only reason he leads the defense in scoring is because he was gifted gravy minutes on the PP and Klefbom can't hit the side of a barn. McLellan is finally getting fed up with his garbage play and is barely giving him more minutes than Auvitu.

Dumping Russell next summer should be priority #2 after getting rid of Lucic.
he still leads the defense in ES scoring but keep making things up :laugh:

they aren't going to take out a guy who leads the defense in ES points

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
he still leads the defense in ES scoring but keep making things up :laugh:

they aren't going to take out a guy who leads the defense in ES points
4 points in 11 games is hardly irreplaceable lmao. It does say a lot about our D as a whole.

Man I'd love to see a dman who could actually move the puck on this team. Being able to hit McDavid on the fly would result in like 50+ points a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad