Bottom 10? Edit: 6th worst, trending down, season over

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
Oilers have a decent shot at the playoffs. Last year, as others have said, the Oilers had really no injuries, Talbot was amazing and lots of personal best seasons. It's not going to go as smooth but this team can compete for a playoff spot for sure.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Development has been better so far under Chiarelli.

If this season is a failure, I'd try and grab a good defenseman in the draft and trade Puljujarvi for a legit Top 6 forward with control.
If it's better I'm not really seeing it when our "sure thing" #4 pick last year is struggling to even score at the AHL level. The same one you think we can trade for help...

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If it's better I'm not really seeing it when our "sure thing" #4 pick last year is struggling to even score at the AHL level. The same one you think we can trade for help...

Just package all the toolsy no-toolbox blue chippers in one trade and see what you can get.

Nurse + Puljujarvi... ;)

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
What you meant to say is you share his opinion therefore anything i say against your opinion is invalid.

How about you and jimmi take a bet.

If Oilers aren't in a playoff position by Nov 30 You will not post until the first game of next season?
If Oilers are within 2 points of a playoff position by Nov 30th You will not post until Trade deadline day?
If Oilers are in the playoffs by Nov 30 I will delete my account

Or how about I exercise my ignore button? That works too. :shakehead

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
What you meant to say is you share his opinion therefore anything i say against your opinion is invalid.

How about you and jimmi take a bet.

If Oilers aren't in a playoff position by Nov 30 You will not post until the first game of next season?
If Oilers are within 2 points of a playoff position by Nov 30th You will not post until Trade deadline day?
If Oilers are in the playoffs by Nov 30 I will delete my account
How about, you find something else to do other then gleefully trolling the HFOilers board because the team is having a lousy start.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My wife doesn't watch all the games but someone that has an intermittent viewing of the team had this to say'

"What happened to a lot of the players" She pointed out so many players now starting are not familiar to her.

But gone is Eberle, Pouliot, Hendricks, Pitlick, Desharnais, Lander (Sekera, injury)

Then who is really new? Jokkinen, who has been a complete bag of nothing, and Ryan Strome. That should sound like a punchline, to the gut, of Oilers fans.
There is no conceivable way anybody could even remotely believe this team is better or even equal to what it was last year.

Most GM's would realize a time to consolidate gains is the offseason of the year in which the club first had success. Parlay that excitement, and the optimal time in which to attract new players to something truly special. It seems every other team in the division is improved. Some substantially. We're trotting out LESS of a lineup. What kind of reply is that? This is good nuff for Edmonton fans?

Fans should be angry that Jokkinen and Strome, alone, were the additions to this club while several players are gone.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
How about, you find something else to do other then gleefully trolling the HFOilers board because the team is having a lousy start.

Now Im trolling. Man nothing like not having the same opinion as someone you get labelled a troll.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
And now who made that "Season's over" thread again?
I made because of the statement I made in the 2nd post, MANY of you are far to Excited of the proclaimation that the other shoe has dropped, that last year was a fluke, that the team is really just garbage. Many of you are delighting in the struggles to a very uncomfortable extent.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bottom 10 fans? That I could get behind based on threads like these.

This is largely the same team from last season minus Eberle (who had his worst season of his career) and Pouliot.

We are missing Sekera in a big way right now and the team is out of sorts, every team has a bad stretch, ours just so happens to be right out of the gate this season.

Reactions: Dorian2

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I made because of the statement I made in the 2nd post, MANY of you are far to Excited of the proclaimation that the other shoe has dropped, that last year was a fluke, that the team is really just garbage. Many of you are delighting in the struggles to a very uncomfortable extent.

Naw just have a different perspective on how the Oilers are doing and are built.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Were Hendricks and Pouliot our first PK team last season? Might explain why our PK is dead last (besides the obvious goaltending)

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

This is largely the same team from last season minus Eberle (who had his worst season of his career) and Pouliot.

We are missing Sekera in a big way right now and the team is out of sorts, every team has a bad stretch, ours just so happens to be right out of the gate this season.
The problem is the GM didn't fill the holes that were made by injury/trade. It'd be one thing if he did, but...

Who around here looks happy to you? Does anyone enjoy losing? I really, really doubt it.

I'd much, much rather be winning and wrong than losing and right. That game last night was a travesty and it wasn't the only one so far this season. I'd love nothing more than to show up my Flame fan friends and point to how amazing our team is supposed to be but I can't freaking do that. Yes the Oilers beat the Flames but the Oilers have been a dumpster fire ever since and the Flames have already manhandled two of the teams we lost to.

The upcoming road trip could spell doom for the Oilers season if they don't right the ship soon.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
The problem is the GM didn't fill the holes that were made by injury/trade. It'd be one thing if he did, but...

Who around here looks happy to you? Does anyone enjoy losing? I really, really doubt it.

I'd much, much rather be winning and wrong than losing and right. That game last night was a travesty and it wasn't the only one so far this season. I'd love nothing more than to show up my Flame fan friends and point to how amazing our team is supposed to be but I can't freaking do that. Yes the Oilers beat the Flames but the Oilers have been a dumpster fire ever since and the Flames have already manhandled two of the teams we lost to.

The upcoming road trip could spell doom for the Oilers season if they don't right the ship soon.

There it is, you are just pissed you can't rip into your "friends" and gloat like a 13 year old.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The object in pro sports is to improve your club from year to year. The requisite need for a budding contender is to fill out the lineup after a successful year and attract players that are more likely to consider being in your lineup after a successful run. This is a rare opportunity that teams get after a successful season. It leaves a feeling of huge potential. Free agents tend to get attracted to such potential. Chia completely missed this opportunity this offseason signing Jokkinen (yawn) and trading for Strome. Theres several players that played last year that are not here this year. Instead we're force feeding guys like Khaira, Cagg, Pak, Benning, even Yama into the lineup. We're expecting several players to punch over their weight. We're expecting anybody on this club to look like a legit topsix right winger.

Other clubs in the division, in the conference have improved, some considerably. The Oilers lineup trotted out for game 1 was quite clearly worse than last season, not even considering the absence of Sekera.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
There it is, you are just pissed you can't rip into your "friends" and gloat like a 13 year old.
I'm pissed because this team is crap and nothing was done to patch the rather obvious holes the team has. I could see the defense struggling from a mile away and yet the GM's solution was to re-sign a #7 and bring in a #8. Oh, and the Russell contract but I've said my piece on that.

This team's goal should be to compete for the Cup this year and unless this ship rights itself soon they won't even get the chance.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Honestly this team dealt with zero injuries and seemed to be on a magic carpet ride last season. Maybe they were a fluke and this is the real team...

Make no mistake, T-Mac is fired if they miss the playoffs and possibly Chia too.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Anybody catch the Bobby Ryan "After Hours" One thing really stood out.

"The team approached the entire training camp focusing intently on resuming exactly where we left off last season. Playing the exact same way that led us to be in double OT seventh game against the defending SC champs."

Anybody note a drastic difference to how prepared this Oilers club looks. That seemingly were paying more attention to clippings on how great they were rather than rolling up sleeves to get back there? Does any Oiler look really sharp, focused, prepared out there?

Kassian has been our best forward even with his brain cramp warts. When you can say that about our offensive lineup its concerning. We have a lot of guys whose approach was to feel their way into the season.

The After Hours segments of Bobby Ryan and Ryan Nugent Hopkins were diametrically different. With Ryan there was a desperation to show the hockey world where they are, to continue to prevail. With Nuge it was aw shucks and we'll get there sometime.

It was revealing, but somewhat disappointing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad