Bottom 10? Edit: 6th worst, trending down, season over

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
People enjoy a losing team much more than a winning team. How else can they feel superior?
Yeah it feels great that the team sucks ass. Just amazing. Better than sex. Woohoo.

Yeah I don't understand how people think that last year WASN'T a fluke. We had essentially no injuries, and had NUMEROUS players have career years. If you expect Talbot to contend for the vezina, and have maroon score 25+, then great, I guess, but I certainly don't.
While I don't think last year's team was a fluke, a lot of things still went right last year that the GM didn't calculate for. Team health, strength of schedule, opponents falling off... It's just maddening that so little was done in the off-season when the team should be looking to contend for a cup this year.

To be brutally honest though, a semi-surprising "down" year like the Ducks had in 2011-2012 could be a blessing in disguise. Consider who the Ducks were able to draft that summer (Lindholm).

This stuff does happen to other teams. Teams that are viewed as contenders suddenly and unexpectedly have a poor season, allowing them to essentially draft the missing piece to their puzzle.
Considering the Oilers track record of drafting and developing... No, I wouldn't say it's a blessing.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
More should of been done in the offseason, but if people expected Chia to change over half the roster after a 100+ point season, I don't know what to say...

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
No man, it's SUPER on point, you get to call last season a fluke and you get to the "I told you so, team is garbage, blah blah blah" stuff. Again you're WAY TOO excited for these struggles, you might want to examine that.

No there were many people that were concerned when Hall was traded and Lucic brought in. There were concerns knowing were missing sekera for a lengthy period this year. There are those who understood that everything went right for the oilers last year and they barely made playoffs. But ive watched you post for about 4 years now and your good at trying to turn it around on people

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
More should of been done in the offseason, but if people expected Chia to change over half the roster after a 100+ point season, I don't know what to say...
Replace Eberle, find a stopgap D.

That's all he had to do.

Or better yet, don't trade Eberle at all and find a stopgap D.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
So it is pretty obvious, as it should have been in the off-season, that the idea of this team being a "contender" for the division or (lol) the cup is a joke. But just how far off the mark do we think this team will be?

Lots of you probably think that things will turn around and we somehow miraculously make the playoffs. I have the complete opposite thinking: I think we finish bottom ten in the league.

- Drai won't have the same season as last year, unless we pin him to mcdavid, which turns us into a one line team
- Talbot won't have another vezina type season, which we are already seeing
- We have ZERO secondary scoring, none, nada, zilch
- Defence is too young

Thoughts? What do expect now that we have gotten our first look at the team?

sigh :shakehead

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
That's really stupid, the Oilers CLINCHED Their playoff spot WITH more then 5 games left, don't re-invent the past.

You like caps don't you? Almost reminds me of a toddler trying to get their point across.

Anyhow. They Clinched Mar 28th. But were only 5 losses from not clinching. Your acting as if the Oilers were 35 points up on the next team they weren't Had LA, SJ, ANA been healthy there may have been no dance.

But keep on working the capslock key or do you just shift it?

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
You like caps don't you? Almost reminds me of a toddler trying to get their point across.

Anyhow. They Clinched Mar 28th. But were only 5 losses from not clinching. Your acting as if the Oilers were 35 points up on the next team they weren't Had LA, SJ, ANA been healthy there may have been no dance.

Do you think a successful season would be finishing with 120+ points? Or 150?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
A successful season for this team would be reaching the third round.

Does this look like a playoff team right now to you?

To be fair, of the teams that actually made the playoffs last year, few have looked good so far this year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No it doesn't, but no team on a losing streak looks like a playoff team.
But it's not even just that they're losing. They're getting worse game by game and getting punked by completely beatable teams. If the Oilers lost a close game in which they worked hard that would be one thing but for the past three games they've looked like a lottery team.
To be fair, of the teams that actually made the playoffs last year, few have looked good so far this year.
Yes well, most of those teams haven't missed the playoffs for a decade prior. You know the Pens and the like are going to be fine.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Do you think a successful season would be finishing with 120+ points? Or 150?

I think a successful season is one where the team faced adversity ( Key players missing long stretches) Players playing to their norms and making playoffs.

And successful Offseason following it would be shoring up the deficiencies from the previous season not banking on a bunch of unknowns

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

I have more respect for Jimmi's opinion than yours so I wouldn't be too quick to insult him. He makes very valid points. Yours however...

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yes well, most of those teams haven't missed the playoffs for a decade prior. You know the Pens and the like are going to be fine.
That's why I honestly don't think the team having a "down" year and being able to draft a really good finishing piece to their roster is the end of the world.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That's why I honestly don't think the team having a "down" year and being able to draft a really good finishing piece to their roster is the end of the world.
At some point the Oilers are going to have to learn to get good pieces from other sources because their development is garbage. And until they fix that, it won't matter who we draft.

Just imagine Yamamoto becoming a half-decent player then trading him for Ryan Strome.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I have more respect for Jimmi's opinion than yours so I wouldn't be too quick to insult him. He makes very valid points. Yours however...

What you meant to say is you share his opinion therefore anything i say against your opinion is invalid.

How about you and jimmi take a bet.

If Oilers aren't in a playoff position by Nov 30 You will not post until the first game of next season?
If Oilers are within 2 points of a playoff position by Nov 30th You will not post until Trade deadline day?
If Oilers are in the playoffs by Nov 30 I will delete my account

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
At some point the Oilers are going to have to learn to get good pieces from other sources because their development is garbage. And until they fix that, it won't matter who we draft.

Just imagine Yamamoto becoming a half-decent player then trading him for Ryan Strome.

Development has been better so far under Chiarelli.

If this season is a failure, I'd try and grab a good defenseman in the draft and trade Puljujarvi for a legit Top 6 forward with control.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad