Bottom 10? Edit: 6th worst, trending down, season over

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oh okay, secondary assists don't count suddenly? I'll alert the media.

But hey Eberle would be our 2nd leading scorer right now. I'm hard on Strome because it was a braindead trade for nothing. RNH is what he is at this point. I'm not even upset with him anymore.

I honestly don't really care all that much for what they get paid because the GM is one who deals out contracts and RNH would've been stupid to turn his down, same with Eberle/Lucic. At least they can score 20 a year.

Strome will be lucky to score 15 this year. We traded a 50+ point player for a 30 point player. This was an absolute joke of a trade.

Explain to me how Jordan Eberle is on pace for fewer points with John Tavares.

How does this even happen? Like seriously. What is going on with this player?

If Strome was in the top six from day 1 he would have likely the same point total. That's not the issue.

The issue is we chose three bums over one capable stud on the 2nd line and we are paying the price for it now.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You can't be mad at a player for only showing up for 1/3 games when RNH has made a career of it here and you hold him to zero accountability for it and look the other way when Lucic does it too.

Showing up for 1/3 games is acceptable on the Oilers. This team has plainly allowed it for years here. For $6 million/year no less.
So showing up for 1/7 games is somehow better because Strome gets paid less?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You can't be mad at a player for only showing up for 1/3 games when RNH has made a career of it here and you hold him to zero accountability for it and look the other way when Lucic does it too.

Showing up for 1/3 games is acceptable on the Oilers. This team has plainly allowed it for years here. For $6 million/year no less.
Holy shit dude.

You move goal posts all the time and when I explain why a player is bad you go "well this player is bad too so the player you hate is better".

You hate Nuge. We get it. You love a bad player in Strome. We get it. You are an annoying broken record whose arguments come down to. "I hate this guy so anything is better"

Nuge has been better his entire career than Strome too but I bet you think he is somehow way better cause something something capspace or "Strome would be as good if played like Nuge even though there is zero evidence of that outside of 2 points in 3 games playing in the top 6 with 2 players who I think are complete wastes of space"

Thats actually the best part. You say if Strome plays in the top 6,he will put up good numbers. You point to 2 points in 3 games. Yet the players he is playing with in the top 6 you think are complete wastes of space and are the worst players ever.

You contradict yourself constantly all just because you hate the player.

Seriously, did he hit on your gf or something? Did he kick your dog?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Oh great. 3 games of quality goaltending. That negates the 4 stinkers they put up right? Do we only actually need a shot at winning 35 games this year? Or is it maybe possible that our goaltending tandem is capable of putting up more than an .891 SV%? In the 3 games our goaltending hasn't sucked, we have a winning record.

Yes, our offense needs to start converting more, but that doesn't mean our goaltending gets a free pass for single handedly losing us games

The goaltending was an issue but if your offense is at the bottom of the pile that's a legitimate concern. You're telling me we couldn't score on Hellybuck? On Markstrom? On Elliott? On Ward? How is a team with Stanley Cup aspirations behind ARIZONA in offense?

Explain to me how Jordan Eberle is on pace for fewer points with John Tavares.

How does this even happen? Like seriously. What is going on with this player?

If Strome was in the top six from day 1 he would have likely the same point total. That's not the issue.
You know "on pace" means absolutely nothing, right? Do you think Kucherov is going to end up with 70 goals?

And no, he wouldn't. If he needs good players to make him look good he's no better than Yakupov.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Holy **** dude.

You move goal posts all the time and when I explain why a player is bad you go "well this player is bad too so the player you hate is better".

You hate Nuge. We get it. You love a bad player in Strome. We get it. You are an annoying broken record whose arguments come down to. "I hate this guy so anything is better"

Nuge has been better his entire career than Strome too but I bet you think he is somehow way better cause something something capspace or "Strome would be as good if played like Nuge even though there is zero evidence of that outside of 2 points in 3 games playing in the top 6 with 2 players who I think are complete wastes of space"

Thats actually the best part. You say if Strome plays in the top 6,he will put up good numbers. You point to 2 points in 3 games. Yet the players he is playing with in the top 6 you think are complete wastes of space and are the worst players ever.

You contradict yourself constantly all just because you hate the player.

Seriously, did he hit on your gf or something? Did he kick your dog?

I don't hate RNH. I want him to do well.

I am applying the same criticism to RNH and Lucic that you guys are willing to look off of but willing to blame the likes of Strome and Pakarinen for.

If you are going to rip on players for not showing up 1/3 games ... well guess what?

That list starts with no.93 and no.27 who manage to get a hand wave constantly here.

No. More. I'm done with it. We bet hard on these players, this is not acceptable. They should be getting roasted. Pick it up and give McDavid a 2nd line he can bank on or your ass is going to be toasty on this board, you get paid enough, you have the ability so f*** off if you're not going to bring it, RNH and Lucic.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't hate RNH. I want him to do well.

I am applying the same criticism to RNH and Lucic that you guys are willing to look off of but willing to blame the likes of Strome and Pakarinen for.

If you are going to rip on players for not showing up 1/3 games ... well guess what?

That list starts with no.93 and no.27 who manage to get a hand wave constantly here.

No. More. I'm done with it. We bet hard on these players, this is not acceptable. They should be getting roasted.
Where in the world are they getting a hand wave, and you do hate Nuge.

He plays a good 4 games you say it doesn't count cause he sucked last year. Strome plays a good 2 games and you say he is a better player than Eberle but him having a bad year doesn't count.

You are a complete hypocrite and even when a player had a good game you find a way to put all the blame on them. You do it with Nuge all season yet when your butt buddy Strome f***s up huge you give him a pass cause Nuge was bad last year.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Still beating that hate drum I see Soundwave.
I would have thought your arms would be getting tired by now. :boredom:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Where in the world are they getting a hand wave, and you do hate Nuge.

He plays a good 4 games you say it doesn't count cause he sucked last year. Strome plays a good 2 games and you say he is a better player than Eberle but him having a bad year doesn't count. Even more devastating because with Leon hurt since game 3 we desperately needed a couple of good games from RNH. Did we get them? Nope. Is that a surprise? Nope.

You are a complete hypocrite and even when a player had a good game you find a way to put all the blame on them. You do it with Nuge all season yet when your butt buddy Strome ****s up huge you give him a pass cause Nuge was bad last year.

What "4 good games"? He's played 2 good games this year. Period.

This is baby gloves again, exaggerating what this player is bringing to the table.

He's a no.1 overall for crying out loud. Expect more than 35 points. This is garbage and you hand wave it away. At what point can we complain? When he's on pace for 25 points? How low does the bar have to be set?

You have a no.1 overall that's on pace for 35 points who's supposed to be your 2nd line offensive center and yet it's some "mystery" as to why this team can't score when the McDavid line gets more attention. There's no mystery here, you can sleep in Scooby Doo.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What "4 good games"? He's played 2 good games this year. Period.

This is baby gloves again, exaggerating what this player is bringing to the table.

He's a no.1 overall for crying out loud. Expect more than 35 points. This is garbage and you hand wave it away.
35 points? He has only been that low in a lockout season and when he missed almost 30 games do to injury. You love hyperbole when saying how bad a player is and use it the other way with how good guys like Strome is.

Nuge has had 1 bad game this season. Strome has had 2 good games the rest were mediocre to bad.

Draft position means literally f***ing nothing outside of the draft year

"Ryan Strome is a 5th overall pick I expect much more than 30 points its a joke"

Nuge has greatly improved his faceoffs, has helped offensively and his defensive game looks fine.

But you ignore that cause he isn't point per game and ripping up the league.

But Strome is fine even though he sucks cause when makes less money.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
35 points? He has only been that low in a lockout season and when he missed almost 30 games do to injury. You love hyperbole when saying how bad a player is and use it the other way with how good guys like Strome is.

Nuge has had 1 bad game this season. Strome has had 2 good games the rest were mediocre to bad.

Draft position means literally ****ing nothing outside of the draft year

"Ryan Strome is a 5th overall pick I expect much more than 30 points its a joke"

Nuge has greatly improved his faceoffs, has helped offensively and his defensive game looks fine.

But you ignore that cause he isn't point per game and ripping up the league.

But Strome is fine even though he sucks cause when makes less money.

They both are vanilla players. They both can go, I don't want them here, they are taking up space.

Gimme someone who has some desire to be great or can at least do one thing well as opposed to 15 things average.

We could not afford to trade Taylor Hall. We did not have the offence to make up for his loss. Trusting Eberle/RNH/Lucic is like leaving your baby with the alcoholic neighbor and then being suprised things have gone wrong.

We trusted these three to be the answer here even though there were plenty of warning signs they were not able to handle that role.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They both are vanilla players. They both can go, I don't want them here, they are taking up space.

Gimme someone who has some desire to be great or can at least do one thing well as opposed to 15 things average.
So you want to move Nuge for Galchenyuk a guy who has less desire than Nuge?

You are all over the place, constantly move goal posts and change facts just to make a non existent point. I'm done with you.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So you want to move Nuge for Galchenyuk a guy who has less desire than Nuge?

You are all over the place, constantly move goal posts and change facts just to make a non existent point. I'm done with you.

For RNH we are realistically not going to get anything great, I'm willing to gamble on a guy with a high end shot release seeing as how our team is missing that and a guy who was on pace for 60 points just last year.

We're not going to trade RNH for the player we wished RNH was. This is the NHL. Not the Make-A-Wish foundation. RNH has destroyed much of his trade value, if he continues to have a poor season we will eventually get nothing for him but a cap dump, much like Eberle, who was kind enough to also tank his trade value for us.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Its the right choice man. You made a valiant effort. Some folks just want to wallow.

He doesn't want to touch the Taylor Hall bit because he knows it's true.

You cannot make that trade unless you are *sure* you have the players in place to replace his ability as a line driver for secondary offence.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
There should be no surprise the Oil struggle to score. Really beyond McDavid and Drai, there is no quality proven offensive player who has ACTUAL skill and speed. The game is fast too fast now to be avg speed. Maroon, a career 3rd 4th liner who had a bit of an aberration year last year is one of our highest scoring wingers??? Looch, is not a natural talent and is slow as sh^&. Nuge has become an at best mediocre player. Really go down the lineup, you'll see the fwds are very sub par. really not sure how the experts who predicted the oil to win the cup did not see this. were lucky last year with no injuries and tbot playing out of his mind good.... and STILL to me did not look like a 103 point team. very lucky last year.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
And we downgraded from Eberle to a complete invalid in Strome.
Eberle is useless in goal scoring.

Strome last 20 NHL games: 3 goals, 4 assists, -7
Eberle last 20 NHL games: 5 assists, -11

If Strome is an invalid... Eberle is on life support. Eberle just got a brand new box of white canes custom made by Bauer to help him look for a goal. :)

Eberle is going for the Yakpuov special in having a bigger minus than points scored. Strome at least has a point for each minus (low bar I know... but seems Eberle can't even match that).

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He doesn't want to touch the Taylor Hall bit because he knows it's true.

You cannot make that trade unless you are *sure* you have the players in place to replace his ability as a line driver for secondary offence.
And then your defense sucks and you get outscored almost every single game. It's not difficult to figure out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There should be no surprise the Oil struggle to score. Really beyond McDavid and Drai, there is no quality proven offensive player who has ACTUAL skill and speed. The game is fast too fast now to be avg speed. Maroon, a career 3rd 4th liner who had a bit of an aberration year last year is one of our highest scoring wingers??? Looch, is not a natural talent and is slow as sh^&. Nuge has become an at best mediocre player. Really go down the lineup, you'll see the fwds are very sub par. really not sure how the experts who predicted the oil to win the cup did not see this. were lucky last year with no injuries and tbot playing out of his mind good.... and STILL to me did not look like a 103 point team. very lucky last year.

We had that player beyond McDavid/Drai. His name is Taylor Hall.

Eberle/RNH/Lucic are frauds, we got suckered into betting on them and they are laughing all the way to the bank.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And then your defense sucks and you get outscored almost every single game. It's not difficult to figure out.

Then you upgrade it over time, by adding pieces like Hamonic as they come.

You don't bet the franchise on the likes of Eberle and RNH. These player's can't carry Hall's jock strap. Big mistake.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Eberel is useless in goal scoring.

Strome last 20 NHL games: 3 goals, 4 assists, -7
Eberle last 20 NHL games: 5 assists, -11

If Strome is an invalid... Eberle is on life support. Eberle just got a brand new box of white canes to help him look for a goal. :)

Eberle is going for the Yakpuov special in having a bigger minus than goals scored. Strome at least has a point for each minus (low bar I know... but seems Eberle can't even match that).
Why do only the last 20 games matter? Why not use the season as a whole?

Last season: Eberle: 95 games, 20 goals, 32 assists, 52 points.
Strome: 69 games, 13 goals, 17 assists, 30 points.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Then you upgrade it over time, by adding pieces like Hamonic as they come.

You don't bet the franchise on the likes of Eberle and RNH. These player's can't carry Hall's jock strap. Big mistake.
Hamonic is not a 1D or 2D. You'd still have the same issues when Klefbom is drowning with Russell or someone similar at this side.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hamonic is not a 1D or 2D. You'd still have the same issues when Klefbom is drowning with Russell or someone similar at this side.

I don't think Larsson is that great to be honest either. He's better than Hamonic but not by that much.

Hall is waaaaaaaaay better than Lucic, RNH, or Eberle. He's really actually probably as good as two of them combined, this year as good as three of them combined.

You cannot be surprised that you can't score past one line when you trade away your best option for said secondary offence. We were able to get by last year because of an unbelievable season from McDavid + Drai and unusually high production from sources like Letestu and Maroon. But that is not a stable equation for success.

We did not have the luxury of trading this player. There was nothing wrong with building a little more deliberately either, we would have been much better last year even with just Hall + Russell + healthy Klefbom + 82 games of healthy McDavid. I think we may have made the playoffs with that group, but long term we'd be far better off.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't think Larsson is that great to be honest either. He's better than Hamonic but not by that much.

Hall is waaaaaaaaay better than Lucic, RNH, or Eberle. He's really actually probably as good as two of them combined, this year as good as three of them combined.

You cannot be surprised that you can't score past one line when you trade away your best option for said secondary offence.
You're... serious with this? Without Larsson we would not have made the playoffs, let alone gotten to round 2. Period.

The Oilers for many, many years completely ignored defense and look where that got them. You know the definition of insanity? It doesn't matter if you have 12 McDavids up front if you have 6 Russells on the back end.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You're... serious with this? Without Larsson we would not have made the playoffs, let alone gotten to round 2. Period.

The Oilers for many, many years completely ignored defense and look where that got them. You know the definition of insanity? It doesn't matter if you have 12 McDavids up front if you have 6 Russells on the back end.

We would've had 90+ points with Klefbom + Russell added into the blue line and a full year of McDavid + Drai going supernova.

Maybe you don't get 103 points, but what's one year of 103 points if the team is going to regress immediately the next year unless you constantly add "UFA depth"? That is not a workable formula especially when McDavid and Draisaitl need big money.

You need to have a rock solid core group that can get it done, no excuses AS IS, not constantly wishing for upgrades every year when you have a very precarious cap situation.

Hall was a guarantee. Eberle/RNH/Lucic are/were stealing money from this franchise, lets be honest.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
We had that player beyond McDavid/Drai. His name is Taylor Hall.

Eberle/RNH/Lucic are frauds, we got suckered into betting on them and they are laughing all the way to the bank.

even if we had hall, the rest of the lineup is too far behind. years of poor drafting has killed us. also I still believe hall is not a good fit here due to a variety of reasons.

the reason we got strome for ebs is because both players do very little in actually helping a team win. forget about the numbers. ebs scores a lot of unimportant goals when the game is already over. his general actual offensive contributions when really needed are close to none. his lack of tenacity and speed and defensive awareness puts him at a net negative for a team. strome is a nothing player. probably a slight net negative too. basically a poor player got traded for another poor player. it's how it goes. one team hopes to turn their careers around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad