Bottom 10? Edit: 6th worst, trending down, season over

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If I’m not mistaken, Russell’s contract is very much structured to be movable after 2 and if not that, definitely 3 seasons. As others have said, that’s not even the issue this year at all. The frequently anointed top pairing, maybe top 15-20 dman in the league, Klefbom, has been a massive disappointment. I never had faith that Benning was just going to continue his linear development and be a stud.

It's structured to be movable in the first two years. Still possible to move him in years three and four of the deal, but much more difficult.

Yesterday might have been Benning's best of the season, but he still wasn't good. Maybe a 7 D based on his play yesterday.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
It's structured to be movable in the first two years. Still possible to move him in years three and four of the deal, but much more difficult.

Yesterday might have been Benning's best of the season, but he still wasn't good. Maybe a 7 D based on his play yesterday.

Cannot be moved until 3rd year.
10 team list year 3. 15 team list year 4

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ya our goaltending can't be atrocious forever. We have a top 5 goalie who's stats look like that of a guy on the bubble of getting waived. That won't continue.
I don't see our goal scoring getting to much better though. I feel like our players overall will score less than last year and Eberles production will not be replaced. That said I think our goaltending and overall defense should be okay

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Ya our goaltending can't be atrocious forever. We have a top 5 goalie who's stats look like that of a guy on the bubble of getting waived. That won't continue.
The goaltending has been fine the last two games.

Maybe the scorers should do what they're supposed to do. We're 30th in offense and people want to point fingers at the goalie?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't see our goal scoring getting to much better though. I feel like our players overall will score less than last year and Eberles production will not be replaced. That said I think our goaltending and overall defense should be okay

Eberle had 15 or 16 goals when this team clinched a playoff spot. He's not the issue. Problem is we have two other Eberles content to play crap hockey like he was. You're not going to be an offensive powerhouse with players like this, lazy entitled players.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Eberle had 15 or 16 goals when this team clinched a playoff spot. He's not the issue. Problem is we have two other Eberles content to play crap hockey like he was.
Holy f***ing shit dude just stop. I never said any of that. I said we lost his production and brought in nothing to replace it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Eberle had 15 or 16 goals when this team clinched a playoff spot. He's not the issue. Problem is we have two other Eberles content to play crap hockey like he was. You're not going to be an offensive powerhouse with players like this, lazy entitled players.
And we downgraded from Eberle to a complete invalid in Strome.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ryan Strome can score 15/16 goals in 80 games in the top six. Not worried about that.

That's not the issue. The issue is Lucic-RNH-Eberle-Strome are the bet on being the secondary scoring here and none of them can handle that role. None of them.

Matt Duchene has one 40 point season and the world goes crazy ... for RNH? Eberle? Lucic? Yawn. New normal for them.

Duchene shows up this year and despite having every excuse to whine/mope/ shows up like a pro and is back producing, meanwhile Ryan Nugent Nothing is content to be in year 3 of his "slump".

And yet it's some giant mystery to some of you why we're not scoring like the Maple Leafs. It's not hard to see why.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ryan Strome can score 15/16 goals in 80 games in the top six. Not worried about that.

That's not the issue. The issue is Lucic-RNH-Eberle-Strome are the bet on being the secondary scoring here and none of them can handle that role. None of them.

Matt Duchene has one 40 point season and the world goes crazy ... for RNH? Eberle? Lucic? Yawn. New normal for them.

Duchene shows up this year and despite having every excuse to whine/mope/ shows up like a pro and is back producing, meanwhile Ryan Nugent Nothing is content to be in year 3 of his "slump".
Lucic hit 50 points... That beats your narrative.

Strome has also been above 15 goals once in his NHL career and ou guarantee he can hit that again?

Shiny new toy syndrome and grass is always greener.

I think 99% of your posts is shittin on Nuge and Eberle and suckling Stromes D

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lucic hit 50 points... That beats your narrative

I don't see him hitting that this year. He was good for 20 games last year and then nothing in the playoffs and looks to me to be getting even slower.

Should not have signed this player, bad move. He will likely be a 40 point player this year and likely doesn't care or won't be terribly bothered by it either.

$6 million dollar paycheques take a lot of the stress away.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't see him hitting that this year. He was good for 20 games last year and then nothing in the playoffs and looks to me to be getting even slower.

Should not have signed this player, bad move. He will likely be a 40 point player this year and likely doesn't care or won't be terribly bothered by it either.
Looking slower?

Lucic has looked faster this year and has played well the last few games.

Man I hate people like you with your agendas and make shit up to support them.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

And yet it's some giant mystery to some of you why we're not scoring like the Maple Leafs. It's not hard to see why.
Strome has scored 15+ goals ONCE in his career. He does nothing offensively and defensively he left his man on yesterday's GWG. He's completely inferior to Eberle in every way.

Yeah, maybe downgrading the team wasn't such a good idea, was it?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Strome has scored 15+ goals ONCE in his career. He does nothing offensively and defensively he left his man on yesterday's GWG. He's completely inferior to Eberle in every way.

Yeah, maybe downgrading the team wasn't such a good idea, was it?
Nah Nah, trade Lucic, Russell and Nuge for literally nothing and the team will be better guaranteed! /s

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The bottom line is Chia made a fundamental gamble with this core group ...

That by trading Taylor Hall he could spend a ton of cap on Milan Lucic instead and that some combination of Lucic-Eberle-RNH can supplement McDavid's line effectively.

What he didn't count on was the degree to which RNH-Lucic-Eberle would suck.

He made a poor gamble and it's manifesting itself this year. This is not a "we should have signed an available UFA like Vanek" problem, this is a "you built the entire house on a crooked foundation problem".

The foundational bet that Chiarelli made here was flawed. All we are seeing now are the predictable cracks in the foundation that were always going to manifest.

Taylor Hall should never have been traded. You cannot rely on Lucic/RNH/Eberle ... they are player's content to mediocrity and cashing paycheques for things they did 3-4 years ago or "potential" things they were supposed to do and never did.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Keep blaming Eberle when Strome is completely ineffective.

Strome has 2 points in 3 games in the top six?

Eberle hasn't scored in 21 GAMES. lol. He is on pace for fewer points this year despite playing with John Tavares. You are still picking this hill to die on? Good grief.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Eberle hasn't scored in 21 GAMES. lol. He is on pace for fewer points this year despite playing with John Tavares. You are still picking this hill to die on? Good grief.
Eberle still has more points.

2 points in one game for Strome and completely ineffective in every other game, including letting his man go on yesterday's GWG. But hey, cap space, right!

You need scorers to win and we traded a scorer for another one of Snow's doozies.

We're 30th in offense but hey let's jettison our scorers!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

And last game Strome literally unplugged his controller glided into the zone and watched his man score.

He had a single good game in the top 6 and you point to that as being as effective. The guy has not been as effective his entire career. He has never been as good as Eberle not even close. But you think 3 games proves your point?

Reactions: guymez

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Eberle still has more points.

2 points in one game for Strome and completely ineffective in every other game, including letting his man go on yesterday's GWG. But hey, cap space, right!

You need scorers to win and we traded a scorer for another one of Snow's doozies.

We're 30th in offense but hey let's jettison our scorers!

He has two more secondary assists for 3x the cost playing 1st line with Tavares.

That.

Is.

Pathetic.

I'm sorry, I don't see how you can keep defending this player.

You never raise a stink when RNH only does something 1/3 games, so why should it be any different for Strome? If that's your standard, I want to see the same criticism applied to Lucic and RNH too. They do the same garbage, they just get paid way more money.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He has two more secondary assists for 3x the cost playing 1st line with Tavares.

That.

Is.

Pathetic.

You never raise a stink when RNH only does something 1/3 games, so why should it be any different for Strome?
Stromes best season years ago was as good as Eberles worst season last year.

I don't know why you think this player is as good.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And last game Strome literally unplugged his controller glided into the zone and watched his man score.

He had a single good game in the top 6 and you point to that as being as effective. The guy has not been as effective his entire career. He has never been as good as Eberle not even close. But you think 3 games proves your point?

You can't be mad at a player for only showing up for 1/3 games when RNH has made a career of it here and you hold him to zero accountability for it and look the other way when Lucic does it too.

Showing up for 1/3 games is acceptable on the Oilers. This team has plainly allowed it for years here. For $6 million/year no less.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

That.

Is.

Pathetic.

You never raise a stink when RNH only does something 1/3 games, so why should it be any different for Strome? If that's your standard, I want to see the same criticism applied to Lucic and RNH too. They do the same garbage, they just get paid way more money.
Oh okay, secondary assists don't count suddenly? I'll alert the media.

But hey Eberle would be our 2nd leading scorer right now. I'm hard on Strome because it was a braindead trade for nothing. RNH is what he is at this point. I'm not even upset with him anymore.

I honestly don't really care all that much for what they get paid because the GM is one who deals out contracts and RNH would've been stupid to turn his down, same with Eberle/Lucic. At least they can score 20 a year.

Strome will be lucky to score 15 this year. We traded a 50+ point player for a 30 point player. This was an absolute joke of a trade.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The goaltending has been fine the last two games.

Maybe the scorers should do what they're supposed to do. We're 30th in offense and people want to point fingers at the goalie?

Oh great. 3 games of quality goaltending. That negates the 4 stinkers they put up right? Do we only actually need a shot at winning 35 games this year? Or is it maybe possible that our goaltending tandem is capable of putting up more than an .891 SV%? In the 3 games our goaltending hasn't sucked, we have a winning record.

Yes, our offense needs to start converting more, but that doesn't mean our goaltending gets a free pass for single handedly losing us games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad