Islanders Point Blank: Botta on Snow

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Jaffe got royally screwed. I remember when he first came on and was going along with the script, being the absolute biggest homer there could be. The next season a little less, and then the gloves were off. He called it like it was, Wang didn't like it, so out he went. Another good hockey mind that wasn't allowed to be within a mile of Wang.

It’s happened often with announcers to be honest. Even the great Cubs fired an announcer about 6-8 years ago because ownership felt he was too critical of the team

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Botta was with the Isles for 15 years (1993-2008 I think) and only 2 of those were under Snow before he moved to IPB. I don't know if I'd frame him as Snow's puppet, given those circumstances.

Anyway I like the guy and don't mind that he's got an axe to grind. He's not wrong about any of this. He prob still has sources in the front office, and he's still passionate about the team and the fans. So yeah he's fine with me.

He had a blog though after, where he was still spinning crap into gold. I suspect he was fed stuff by Snow and gently instructed on how to frame his stories.

With that said, he knows the Isles well. Had resources for a number of years, even after '08.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Making the Isles future (arena notwithstanding) unclear and unsuccessful and not likely to re-sign John Tavares.

Why are they "not likely" to re-sign Tavares? :huh: Based on what?

Also, arena not withstanding? You can't discuss an unclear future for NYI and simply gloss over the arena situation. That has been the NUMBER ONE uncertainty for this franchise since forever it seems. L&M were able to do in 1-2 years what multiple ownership groups couldn't do for decades. Secure their own arena, exclusively for the Islanders, in Nassau.

They have also opened up the purse strings and we are now a cap ceiling team. I look for two main things in ownership: commitment to the area and investing in team payroll. Everything else is secondary. I understand that people are frustrated Snow is still GM but let's not forget that we have some some pretty solid owners. They paid a fortune for the team and have done some very positive things.

Reactions: MartyC

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

This should peobbaly be added to the OP

Botta isn’t wrong but it’s just hilarious how clearly petty he is. He clearly has a personal agenda against snow for yanking his credentials. Snow was definitely in the wrong but Botta is making himself look like a jackass now. He’s enetering Larry Brooks territory.

I don’t disagree with him regarding the ridiculous Rhetoric we hear from snow but instead of being s “journalists” he’s making it personal. His writing sounds like he’s venting to a therapist.

deHann who is a UFA was given a great bargaining chip with snows comments. However, if he see Snows comments about Toews it shows what we all have thought all along. The organization views Toews as deHann eventual replacement. It’s why CDH was only signed to 1 year deal. The islanders wanted enough space to re-sign Tavares and/or Bailey. Toews is on an ELC. Weather he’s ready or not for full time NHL gig is anybody’s guess but it’s clear the plan all along was to have as much space as possible at the end of this year to sign Tavares.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
deHann who is a UFA was given a great bargaining chip with snows comments. However, if he see Snows comments about Toews it shows what we all have thought all along. The organization views Toews as deHann eventual replacement. It’s why CDH was only signed to 1 year deal. The islanders wanted enough space to re-sign Tavares and/or Bailey. Toews is on an ELC. Weather he’s ready or not for full time NHL gig is anybody’s guess but it’s clear the plan all along was to have as much space as possible at the end of this year to sign Tavares.

Maybe. Or maybe he's just a bullshit artist who is grasping at straws so he can cover his ass for yet another failed season.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
I am still trying to wrap my head around how a legitimate owner could not fire Snow as soon at they gained control of the team. Ledecky and Malkin are not morons. I think Snow sees that the writing is on the wall and is grasping at straws to try and justify why he should still have a job. If the Islanders miss the playoffs then Ledecky and Malkin need the stones to fire Snow the day after the regular season ends. If Tavares has his feelings hurt by this, then bye.

I don't have a problem with Botta's writing at all. He isn't a reporter that is beholden to "play nice" with management.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
This should peobbaly be added to the OP

Botta isn’t wrong but it’s just hilarious how clearly petty he is. He clearly has a personal agenda against snow for yanking his credentials. Snow was definitely in the wrong but Botta is making himself look like a jackass now. He’s enetering Larry Brooks territory.

I don’t disagree with him regarding the ridiculous Rhetoric we hear from snow but instead of being s “journalists” he’s making it personal. His writing sounds like he’s venting to a therapist.

I'm fine with petty! We need someone to be petty right now.

Reactions: Eberzal

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
A little uncomfortable reading this. Botta lashed Snow once again, and the fact that everything he said is true is really really worrisome.
I think the worst line was Snow saying that we’re not in a position to trade for rentals. Obviously we aren’t, but having him nonchalantly saying that shows where this organization is. How the f*** are you not in a position to trade for rentals after 12 YEARS?!

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Hard to say Botta is being petty when just about everything he's saying is true. If you disagree with Botta then that's fine, but his personal background doesn't make anything he's saying less true.

I'm glad there's finally someone with a little bit of media cred (let's be honest, Botta is basically a free lance writer at this point) willing to say the truth about Snow.

Reactions: C24

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
The problem is L&M probably think Botta is nothing more than an ex employee with an axe to grind. What we really need is for Tavares to say what Botta said. Then maybe L&M listen and Snow gets fired. Until then I will spend more time in the movie thread. This hockey stuff is too depressing. :)

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Why are they "not likely" to re-sign Tavares? :huh: Based on what?

Also, arena not withstanding? You can't discuss an unclear future for NYI and simply gloss over the arena situation. That has been the NUMBER ONE uncertainty for this franchise since forever it seems. L&M were able to do in 1-2 years what multiple ownership groups couldn't do for decades. Secure their own arena, exclusively for the Islanders, in Nassau.

They have also opened up the purse strings and we are now a cap ceiling team. I look for two main things in ownership: commitment to the area and investing in team payroll. Everything else is secondary. I understand that people are frustrated Snow is still GM but let's not forget that we have some some pretty solid owners. They paid a fortune for the team and have done some very positive things.

The uncertainty I see is not with the arena at all - it's essentially what you say, a cap ceiling team that sucks isn't a place you can win. So if Tavares feels that he wants to win, he'd have to be completely delusional to think that a Garth Snow team is that place. It's beyond absurd - no?

He's built a team without defense or goaltending, no prospects for a top pairing dman (no disrespect to Toews, MVS - they are closer to deHaan/Donovan than Karlsson/Doughty), who knows if/when Sorokin happens - and keeping this team together as-is, for the next two years, means almost ZERO roster moves and they will be a cap ceiling team.

So what could Garth or Ledecky/Malkin possibly say to Tavares (even if the new shiny arena was ready today) to make him believe this was his best chance to win? I just don't see it.

And, frankly, If I'm Garth, I should SEE these holes and realize that trading JT may, in fact, be a better move to building a winner for when the arena's ready. A GM who has 4-5 star players playing way above their current cap hit (Barzal, Tavares, Bailey, Lee, arguably Eberle) - all due for huge raises, and still can't be a contending team - maybe the GM should be hit with a brick of awareness "oh, crap, maybe I wasn't able to build a winner with this "CORE" of players" but at least I locked up the pathetic FRINGE to long term deals. Yay.

It's not what JT says about wanting to sign or not - I think it's in everyone's interest for JT to be dealt. It saddens me to say that, he's my favourite Islander since #22 - I hate that this team sucks so much. And I hate the ownership/GM even more now.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Don't kill the messenger (Botta).
The facts remain that Botta had his credentials pulled on order of Snow because of Snow being petty. He would not accept questioning his moves or authority. It was an unprecedented move.
Just keep in mind, Botta is a fan. He has bounced around a bit but held the position of VP of Communications for the Islanders before starting Point Blank. But his perspective has always been that of a fan with inside information.
And as always, the big picture is 12 years, 4 playoff appearances, 1 time past the first round. That is a dismal record when more than 50% of the league make the playoffs every year. Dismal is too soft.....insert your own word, but it is failure on a grand scale.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Here's the most interesting part...

"As he did in the Charles Wang era, Snow's primary focus is on retaining his power with ownership. Think that's being overdramatic? This is a man who failed for years and was given the added title of president and later a golden parachute by Wang. Imagine if his Islanders had ever accomplished anything!

Snow is no longer team president, but he remains prime minister of puffing himself up."

Oh really...? When did that happen because Isles.com is unaware of it...

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/team/garth-snow-bio

Reactions: SI90

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I think the worst line was Snow saying that we’re not in a position to trade for rentals. Obviously we aren’t, but having him nonchalantly saying that shows where this organization is. How the **** are you not in a position to trade for rentals after 12 YEARS?!

The only thing that bothers me more than this is Isles fans, and potentially our owners, who digest that fact and somehow think, "snow just needs a bit more time..."

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
From the Botta article:

With de Haan, the Islanders were dreadful on defense (yes, the porous goaltending didn't help), yielding 3.42 goals per game. The Ls started to pile up before the loss of de Haan, but the team has certainly been worse without him. Since de Haan went down, the Islanders have given up an additional half-goal per game. Combine those numbers with Snow's quote, and the line forms on the left to represent de Haan in his next contract negotiation. He can be an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Pretty much verbatim of what I said recently.

Only a master crapsman like Snow

:laugh:

Reactions: SI90

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
For me, I am even more angry at the breakout and transition out of the zone. It's ****ing absurd how much of an adventure it is. I really think their game plan is to have a good skater skate it out on their own. Watching other teams positioned nicely for quick easy passes and immediately get speed into the neutral zone makes me want to punch myself in the face.

It's so ham handedly executed and amateur that it's tough to pin exactly what type of D system they are trying to employ. It's obviously at the very least a strong side overload, which ironically is the same D system that got Cappy fired for similar results. The only thing I can think is it's some kind over version of the swarm. There is no other system on the planet I've seen where you end up with both D in the same corner so often, or at the very least both D completely abandon the front of the net. The breakout suffers because everyone is ontop of eachother when possession changes. Typically, your opposite D boards up and your forwards swing low looking for an outlet pass. In a swarm, your D are in bed together and your wingers are bunched up and already too low to swing around. This leaves the puck holder with two options, pass the puck to open ice and hope someone retrieves it, or skate it out themselves.

Those are absolutely wonderful breakdowns, especially the second one. I believe in breaking out lower in the zone, but I don't like the swarm style defense. Capuano's problem was the dumb stretch pass and Weight's problem is he's having three #7 defenseman run a system that magnifies mistakes when they're made and leads to prime scoring chances. There is a middle ground, they just don't do it.

It also perfectly illustrates how some systems fit particular players more than others do. A lot of fans tend to forget that. It's the reason why some terrible players on one team can go someplace else and have success.

You don't go to war with the army you want, you go to war with the one you have. It's the coaching staffs obligation to employ a system that works within the confines of the team they are handed. They have failed epically at doing that. Defense isn't that hard.... this team would be instantly better playing a simple passive box. Everyone knows it, it's easy to play even for young defensemen. Instead they have 3rd graders trying to do advanced physics..... and even worse, their professor appears to have a 2nd grade education.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad