Proposal: Bos-Ott Ullmark for Norris, Forsberg + pick

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Seems like fan bases are miles apart on values. I assume this thread is just going to keep going south

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's only a matter of time before Toronto finally beats us in the playoffs. The "even a broken clock is right twice daily" law of averages is going to catch up to us. They beat TB last year, Matthews is having a career year this year. Running into Florida again will be a monumental task, I'd rather have Sway-mark in goal than only one and a shaky backup
Toronto has so many holes. D core is brutal, they had a way better team last year. Would be silly for Boston to not try and get someone this year. They beat Florida and they're going to the SCF.

Gryzlcyk/Forbort and Ullmark for Norris matches the money. Not saying I really want that I think that Norris didn't just lose his ability. He's coming off a bad injury. I do think Ullmark is solid but very much a product of a great system. Year away from UFA. I don't want Ottawa to give up on Norris they're trading him at his lowest possible value.

Divisional rival too. Knowing the way sens trades always happen it probably ends up haunting them.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
A Vezina winner with 1 more year left on his contract is still not worth a top-5 pick even if traded within the division.

In any case, Ottawa isn't helping Boston with a top-6 center just as Boston won't give Ottawa a slightly better goalie than what they currently have.

I get not moving the pick for a goalie, which is a more than reasonable take. Nobody should move a top 5 pick for a goalie.

The highlighted one is laughable though. Ullmark is a massive upgrade on Korpisalo. Ullmark posted better than league average numbers when on the lowly Buffalo Sabres. Korpisalo outside a 30 game run last season has been posting career backup numbers. Problem now is he's doing it making starter money.

It's the other way around. Boston makes their goalies better than they actually are.
Swap Korpisalo and Ullmark and there would be minimal change in the current standings.

This total BS. I was watching Ullmark game in game out when he was on the Sabres. Look at the numbers he posted with Buffalo. Outside last season his 1st and current season is pretty much even with his career numbers from Buffalo.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I like to value a player's worth over multiple seasons. Especially goalies where one year they're Stanley Cup champions and the next are getting sent to the AHL...Ottawa fans are quite familiar with the story hence my Korpisalo being maybe a tier below Ullmark and the difference making little change in Ottawa's current standing take.

Ottawa needs a couple solid D, a couple of veteran bottom-6 players and a coach who is going to whip them to shape. Only then can they go through a goalie carousel.
Why were Ullmarks stats WAY better than Korpisalo when he played for a brutal Buffalo team?

He’s a vastly better goalie and it’s absolutely hilarious to suggest otherwise

Reactions: SweSensFan

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
"Pinto and a 1rst , plus a top prospect maybe gets you Ullmark"
and
"Ullmark is a slightly better goalie than what Ottawa currently has"

Having a tough time deciding which of these two statements is more outlandish. lol

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Lol OK have fun wasting this year with no top 6 centers and a goalie who is gonna sit on the bench who you're gonna have to dump anyway.

No that's atrocious for Ottawa.
Boston has “no top 6 C” so clearly the answer is to trade for a guy who’s pacing less than both Zacha and Coyle while being paid $8M? :laugh:

That’ll solve their issues!!

Btw, that “non top 6 C” in Coyle is pacing for like 10pts less than the mighty Stutzle while actually knowing what defensive play is

Reactions: Hookslide

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Norris had 35 goals in 66 games as a 22 year old. In his rookie year before that he played at a 70 point pace. I get it you're incapable of understanding development or looking at larger than small sample sizes to cherry pick arguments but these things happened. He's pacing for 25 goals and 50 points coming off a major injury.

Are you actually trying to argue Coyle is as good as Stutzle? God damn you just love embarrassing yourself. Just a born hater with 0 ability to evaluate the sport. Stick to your slafkovsky projections you clown.

Cool, he also only had 55 points. A lower pace than Charlie Coyle is on this year.

Ottawa can have fun paying 8m a year

Reactions: nbwingsfan

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Goal is to win the cup when they're this close they should be trying to make it happen. If I am a Boston fan I wanna deal Ullmark for a top 6 center. Maybe you don't think Norris is the right fit that's fine but you're wasting Ullmark on the bench and the cap. Other than Florida the east sucks. How many more years of prime Marchand are left?
The key to success this season begins with Swayman/Ullmark.

Giving one up is what would end their fortunes for this season.

In fact, I would be stunned if Linus is moved at all before the summer.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Goal is to win the cup when they're this close they should be trying to make it happen. If I am a Boston fan I wanna deal Ullmark for a top 6 center. Maybe you don't think Norris is the right fit that's fine but you're wasting Ullmark on the bench and the cap. Other than Florida the east sucks. How many more years of prime Marchand are left?
I get what you are saying and it makes sense but this trade offer just screams that one team needs something really bad and the return might be justified by sure doesn't look anywhere close that way right now.

Of course the wildcard here is that goalies often don't return their value in a trade.

To me the biggest problem in the 35 goal season in 21-22 seems like an aberration for his career and he hasn't hinted at that type of goal scoring anywhere in his prospect career other than as a 20 year old on that Bellville team that has a ton of prospects that did extremely well and Sens fans were super excited about and all have really underperformed to some degree.

It's just going to be really hard to trade Norris with that contract the way this season has gone.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Ullmark is better than Korpisalo, you guys can relax.

Even so, Ottawa doesn't need/want Ullmark for that price.

Swayman for Norris makes more sense.
In what universe are you getting a 25yo who’s played at an elite level for back to back years for a 50pt C making $8M?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ullmark would be an absolutely gigantic upgrade for the Sens

They can't be giving up what would be asked, the deal really has nowhere to go unless they actually wanted a guy like Norris which they shouldn't, but he would be an absolutely gigantic upgrade.

Really not much the Sens can/should be giving up to make that kind of a deal

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
- Ullmark IS substantially better than Korpisalo

But

- Ottawa isn’t making the playoffs this year
- Ullmark’s contract ends summer 2025 and he isn’t even eligible to sign extension until July 2024.
- Ottawa learned a big lesson about acquiring a player before starting his final contract year with the DeBrindebacle.

So … I can’t see Ottawa making a move like this NOW, in advance of the 2024 trade deadline. The only one of the two teams with any urgency to act now because of plans to play past April, is Boston. Ottawa acquiring Ullmark now is getting a goalie to ride out a playoff missing season and then have only one guaranteed year with them before walking. Acquiring him in the summer gives them a chance to negotiate an extension as the deal is being made and ensure he isn’t just a single hopeful-playoff-season rental.

Ullmark extended to Ottawa in July 2024? Yes. Ullmark to Ottawa in Feb/Mar 2024? Doesn’t add up at all.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
In what universe are you getting a 25yo who’s played at an elite level for back to back years for a 50pt C making $8M?

24 year old center coming back from a massive injury who hasn't been 100%
The same center who put up 35 goals in his 22 year old season.
In the same division, yes that's the price like it or not.

• Haha
Reactions: nbwingsfan

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
24 year old center coming back from a massive injury who hasn't been 100%
The same center who put up 35 goals in his 22 year old season.
In the same division, yes that's the price like it or not.
Hasn’t been 100% based on what?

Galchcenyuk also scored 30G as a 22yo and then never returned to that level. Fairly meaningless what Norris did two years ago when he’s performing this way right now.

Thinking a team is going to trade one of the youngest elite Gs in the league for a guy who’s play this season has made him currently overpaid by like $3M is straight delusional.

As I said, the unanimous thought here to non-Sens fans is Norris is bordering on negative value right now… sure as hell not elite 25yo #1G.

Here’s other players making around the same as Norris:

Tkachuck
Hughes
Stutzle
Hertl
Kyrou
Thomas
JT Miller
Fiala
Bratt
Debrincat
Robertson
Etc.

Norris sticks out like a sore thumb here as drastically overpaid.

Last edited:

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
Ullmark has one year left on his deal after this season. Would he even extend in Ottawa?

I think it would be more likely for him to extend than sign as a free agent, especially if the team can heat up.

Otherwise its highly unlikely that he would sign as a free agent in a D market.

Reactions: RRhoads

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
Hasn’t been 100% based on what?

Galchcenyuk also scored 30G as a 22yo and then never returned to that level. Fairly meaningless what Norris did two years ago when he’s performing this way right now.

Thinking a team is going to trade one of the youngest elite Gs in the league for a guy who’s play this season has made him currently overpaid by like $3M is straight delusional.

As I said, the unanimous thought here to non-Sens fans is Norris is bordering on negative value right now… sure as hell not elite 25yo #1G.

Here’s other players making around the same as Norris:

Tkachuck
Hughes
Stutzle
Hertl
Kyrou
Thomas
JT Miller
Fiala
Bratt
Debrincat
Robertson
Etc.

Norris sticks out like a sore thumb here as drastically overpaid.
Why are you in EVERY Ottawa thread bashing the Sens?

As for the proposal, I echo what most have said:
- Ottawa wouldn't want to trade quality assets for someone who could (and probably would) walk in a year
- Norris' value is at all at time low. I understand why nobody would want him at his cap hit. I'd prefer to see what next year brings before we explore trading him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad