Confirmed Trade: [BOS/BUF] Taylor Hall (50%) and Curtis Lazar for Anders Bjork and 2021 2nd round pick

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Up to this point absolutely. By the end of next next year that can change drastically
What a ridiculous comment to make. Thats like me saying ill take Rasmussen 1st overall because "that can change drastically". All you can do is base whats happened so far. Saying "Yeah but maybe next year he will break out" is entirely irrelevant because that applies to every single player.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
There is literally no argument for Mittelstadt versus those guys. It's not even worth the time because only a select few ridiculous homers would pick Mittelstadt.
Have you actually watched Robert Thomas play this season? He’s struggling.

what about Mittelstadt? Because he’s playing the best hockey of his career, by far. He has been better than Thomas this season.

If we were having this discussion last season i’d totally agree. Most of us Sabres fans had pretty much started writing Mitts off, but he looks like a different player this season. It looks like he’s finally figuring things out.

The sample size is too small to say for sure he’s going to be a long term top 6 C, but it’s also too soon to say he’s not.

I’m not saying he’s ahead of those guys, but they are also not way ahead of where Mittelstadt is right now (certainly not “way, way better” as the previous poster claimed)., and their total career NHL production is pretty similar.

There certainly isn’t anywhere near the gap between Mitts and those guys as there is between Debrusk/Senyshyn and Barzal/Connor (which is what the initial discussion was about).

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
What a ridiculous comment to make. Thats like me saying ill take Rasmussen 1st overall because "that can change drastically". All you can do is base whats happened so far. Saying "Yeah but maybe next year he will break out" is entirely irrelevant because that applies to every single player.
Why would that be a ridiculous comment.Mitts is 22 was brought in horribly for the first few years and was physically immature.He was on the taxi squad for most of Kruegers time this year playing sparingly.Since Granato took over Mitts has been our best two way centremen ,always dangerous in the offensive zone and being very responsible in the defensive zone.He has played at a very high level in the last month.Its a small sample size and someone like you would obviously dismiss it since you have an agenda.At 22 he has huge upside left and yes by the end of next year his reputation as a bust will be changed drastically. You obviously haven't seen him play in the last month because after all why would you watch a shitty team like Buffalo? We hear this all the time and rightfully so but if you watch Mitts at all you wouldn't say the comparisons were not even close.Unless of course you just started watching hockey and of course your agenda.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Have you actually watched Robert Thomas play this season? He’s struggling.

what about Mittelstadt? Because he’s playing the best hockey of his career, by far. He has been better than Thomas this season.

If we were having this discussion last season i’d totally agree. Most of us Sabres fans had pretty much started writing Mitts off, but he looks like a different player this season. It looks like he’s finally figuring things out.

The sample size is too small to say for sure he’s going to be a long term top 6 C, but it’s also too soon to say he’s not.

I’m not saying he’s ahead of those guys, but they are also not way ahead of where Mittelstadt is right now (certainly not “way, way better” as the previous poster claimed)., and their total career NHL production is pretty similar.

There certainly isn’t anywhere near the gap between Mitts and those guys as there is between Debrusk/Senyshyn and Barzal/Connor (which is what the initial discussion was about).
Their "total NHL totals" are only close because Buffalo rushed him to the NHL way, way too early. Theyre actually not even that close and he played 30 or so games more than Necas/Suzuki.

Their is absolutely no argument for him being above any of the players listed. None.

Thomas has been bad this season, after having 33 in 70 and 42 in 64, both substantially better than the career high 25 for Mittelstadt.

Necas, Suzuki and Norris don't even need to be argued. You can also add Chytil to that list.

Hes barely above Rasmussen who's been a massive let down

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Why would that be a ridiculous comment.Mitts is 22 was brought in horribly for the first few years and was physically immature.He was on the taxi squad for most of Kruegers time this year playing sparingly.Since Granato took over Mitts has been our best two way centremen ,always dangerous in the offensive zone and being very responsible in the defensive zone.He has played at a very high level in the last month.Its a small sample size and someone like you would obviously dismiss it since you have an agenda.At 22 he has huge upside left and yes by the end of next year his reputation as a bust will be changed drastically. You obviously haven't seen him play in the last month because after all why would you watch a shitty team like Buffalo? We hear this all the time and rightfully so but if you watch Mitts at all you wouldn't say the comparisons were not even close.Unless of course you just started watching hockey and of course your agenda.
You think any of the players listed havent played well for a month before?

If you dont take the guys who have been VASTLY better hockey players fpr 100+ games over the guy who's played okay for 10 games then you deserve to be fired.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018

If you dont take the guys who have been VASTLY better hockey players fpr 100+ games over the guy who's played okay for 10 games then you deserve to be fired.
Iam talking about now and in the future,not in the past.We are talking about two different things.And no he hasn't played "ok" he has played very well and two way play.Stop pretending you have been watching him play.All iam saying is now and in future that can and will change.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Iam talking about now and in the future,not in the past.We are talking about two different things.And no he hasn't played "ok" he has played very well and two way play.Stop pretending you have been watching him play.All iam saying is now and in future that can and will change.

You have absolutely no idea what "will" happen. Based on all the evidence at hand, they're all better than him

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Literally no person on the planet other than extreme Buffalo homers are picking Casey over Norris, Thomas, Suzuki, Necas. Thats hilarious to suggest otherwise

Last two seasons:
Mittelstadt: 9 (so bad he was sent to AHL) and 15

Necas: 36, 34

Suzuki: 41, 27

Norris: AHL rookie of the year (vastly outproduced Mittelstadt, 29

Thomas: 42, 8

Its so obvious who the weak link is here, and theres many more you can argue
Cool but he's playing way better than he was before.....development isn't linear not that I think he's better than Necas but I do believe he's playing at a level right now that he could be better than Suzuki.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Cool but he's playing way better than he was before.....development isn't linear not that I think he's better than Necas but I do believe he's playing at a level right now that he could be better than Suzuki.
Right Now meaning what? His last like 8 games? Rasmussen also played great for a few games. Hughes looked like a star the first 10 games. Erne scored like 6 goals in 8 games. That doesn't erase 100+ games of these guys being on a whole stratosphere better than him.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Right Now meaning what? His last like 8 games? Rasmussen also played great for a few games. Hughes looked like a star the first 10 games. Erne scored like 6 goals in 8 games. That doesn't erase 100+ games of these guys being on a whole stratosphere better than him.
There is a clear difference between a player who is on a hot point streak and a player that's fundamentally improved their actual level of play.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

IMO, Mitts has a higher ceiling than those guys. It's a risk because he's only starting to show it and who knows how Buffalo will find a way to screw his development again but i certainly would take Mittelstadt over those guys ( Im a Bruins fan who was livid when we didn't take Thomas, who I had been loudly pining over in our draft threads all year ).

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
And you can tell this over such a short period of time, how exactly?
By using your eyes. Mittelstadt's problem has always been his strength. What's obvious right now is that he's put in the work. Just watch him play. Right now, against NHL players, he looks like he did in Buffalo in the WJC against teenagers. He doesn't just look better, he often looks like the best player on the ice.

Reactions: Genny Screamer

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Hot take for HF, but hear me out: by watching the games. Mittelstadt now looks like the prospect we all saw in the WJCs, only he's doing it against NHL players.
OVER A VERY SMALL SAMPLE. Do you know how many players look great in small samples?

You dont pick a guy whos been vastly worse for hundreds of games because he looked good for the last 9.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
OVER A VERY SMALL SAMPLE. Do you know how many players look great in small samples?

You dont pick a guy whos been vastly worse for hundreds of games because he looked good for the last 9.

Why even bother asking the question if no answer is acceptable to you? Watch any Sabres game from last year with Mitts and watch any game from the last ~15 or so the Sabres have played and tell me with a straight face you think it's just some fluke not backed by actual development.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I really don't care what any other teams fans think about Mittelstadt. The light has gone on in this kid and he is dominating out there. If he keeps committed to the training and healthy habits he is going to be great.

The Sabres need to bring back Granato and get Eichel and Reinhart to buy in. Re-sign Reinhart who is entering his prime. Do this and fix the goaltending and I think the drought will be over. Rusto is going to provide secondary scoring as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 25-30 next season. If Eichel and Reinhart stay, I'll be putting some cash on the Sabres for next season.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Why even bother asking the question if no answer is acceptable to you? Watch any Sabres game from last year with Mitts and watch any game from the last ~15 or so the Sabres have played and tell me with a straight face you think it's just some fluke not backed by actual development.
Because I find it funny that 10 or so games now erase 100s of games where he was much worse. I know you guys are excited, but that's just asking for trouble.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Because I find it funny that 10 or so games now erase 100s of games where he was much worse. I know you guys are excited, but that's just asking for trouble.
I get what you’re saying but It wasn’t 100’s of games though. He hasn’t even played 100’s of NHL games (he’s at 140 ish).

He actually started out playing pretty well when he first entered the NHL. He had ups and downs then slowly started to disappear. You could see that he just wasn’t ready. He was way overmatched physically and couldn’t handle the NHL schedule (playing so many games).
Not surprising since he was only 1 year removed from high school hockey. His first NHL season wasn’t really all that much different statistically from other guys in his draft class though.

It was toward the end of his 1st season (and start of his 2nd season) where he really started to struggle. Then he was sent down to Rochester and never really given another shot under Ralph Krueger. He would get a game/shift here or there under Krueger this year and he would look really good. But then Krueger would sit him for 5 games while playing horribly performing vets in his place. And even in the games he played under Krueger, he would get minimal ice time on the 4th line. Oh and Krueger moved him to the wing and said his days as an NHL center were over (even though he looked better at center).

Then Granato took over, moved him back to C and gave him the top 6 minutes he had earned.

It really looks like a light has gone on for him this season (even before Granato took over) and he’s taken a big step in his development.
I get that you need to see it continue. We Sabres fans do too. Probably not much point in discussing this anymore until we see what he does next year.

Last edited:

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
3+3 in 7 games
He needs it.

Dude was a non trade away from a 1 year 1 mil prove it contract.He's gonna need to be consistent the rest of the way though and have a good play offs too. Its no secret I am not a Hall fan. I am definitely biased here, but I don't think he has it in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad