Confirmed with Link: Borowiecki Signs 2 Years AAV of $1.2 million ($1.2M in both years)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Boucher admitting on the radio that there are so few of guys like boro left. Yeah no kidding

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The fact that Lou Lamourillo and Mario Lemieux worry at night about Crosby and Matthews being knocked out of a game by a Boro hit makes me happy about this signing.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I think nostalgia is clouding some memories around here.

Gryba was expendable for a reason.

What does Boro do better than Gryba?

I think the only thing that can be argued is hitting and Imo the only thing he has in that aspect is quantity and not quality.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
What does Boro do better than Gryba?

I think the only thing that can be argued is hitting and Imo the only thing he has in that aspect is quantity and not quality.
One plays RD the other plays LD. When we let go of Gryba I seem to remember him making a really bad turnover during a playoff game. Wideman > Gryba.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
People are quick to call Boro a terrible defensive player, and he certainly has his flaws, but here's how he ranked on the team in some defensive metrics:

CA/60 rank 2
FA/60 rank 2
SA/60 rank 2
GA/60 rank 2
SCA/60 rank 1
HDCA/60 rank 1
OZ start rank 3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Whatever you want to say about him, fine, but he's out there to reduce quality chances, and while it comes at the expense of any offense, the numbers support that the other team isn't getting great chances when he's on the ice.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
One plays RD the other plays LD. When we let go of Gryba I seem to remember him making a really bad turnover during a playoff game. Wideman > Gryba.

I'd say that Gryba is better then Wideman, and espcially for our team now I think Gryba at #6 on RD to PK and play back would be the perfect compliment to a player like Chabot.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The fact that Lou Lamourillo and Mario Lemieux worry at night about Crosby and Matthews being knocked out of a game by a Boro hit makes me happy about this signing.
If he does it he's worth the money. Let us see.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I know I am in the minority but I like this signing. Boro intimidates opposition and can make the winger change his game so he doesnt get leveled.

I feel a lot of hate for Boro is unjust.

Reactions: Back in Black

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Maybe Boro won't have to become a cop after this contract after all.

I know I was told by someone credible that's what he was thinking about doing when his NHL career was over. I think this was all he wanted was another 2 years, and he jumped at it.

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
Hahaha YES. :nod: LOVE this signing, and absolutely delighted that it's twisting the panties in a knot of all the arrogant, scoffing arm chair know it all corsi nerds around here who don't value the things Boro bring and who constantly persecute, belittle and insult him and act like he's the worst player in the NHL. Soooo satisfying:D

This board really is on a different planet. The coach, management and players have nothing but praise for Boro, commentators also speak highly of him during broadcasts all the time, and the general sens fan base, ie regular everyday fans at the games and around the city, love Boro but you come here on this board and you'd swear Boro is the antichrist. :laugh:

I've said it before, but it's actually downright hilarious how obsessed people around here are with a 6D. And now this "we wouldn't have gone as far with Boro in the line up last year" revisionist BS? :laugh: Wow, oh man that's priceless! Yep, you're right Hf, a bottom pair 6D playing or not is the defining factor into how far the team goes. Excellent logic. Lmao how far are people willing to go to discredit Boro...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I do like listening to guy though. He has an explanation for everything he doesn't. Cameron was just blah blah blah blah blah. and it showed on the ice.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
This contract is fine. It's only about 400k more than the cheapest possible defender in our system would cost. It's veteran 7th D money for a guy who apparently brings a ton of leadership and is capable of being a 7th D in the NHL. Not to mention, nobody else on our team really brings what he is capable of bringing to games that might require us to dress a more physical presence on our end.

If people want to state they don't like the fact that the team uses Boro as an everyday player, sure. But there's nothing wrong with this contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

burf

Mar 27, 2012
I'm an "arrogant scoffing arm chair know it all corsi nerd", and I have no problem with this signing. Boro does well in a limited and sheltered role. Put him with another guy who has no ability to get the puck out of the zone (i.e. Ceci - the minutes they played together last season were a DISASTER), and there's a problem, but as long as he's playing sheltered minutes with a puck moving partner like Wideman he's fine. And if one of the Bingo players steps up and can take his spot, he's a perfect candidate to be a 7th D.

The team's real problem is the lack of a decent puck mover on the 2nd pairing. Phaneuf's too slow and Ceci doesn't have the defensive-zone hockey IQ.

Reactions: NyQuil and DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Money is what it is. We knew this signing was coming.

I just hate we have a roster spot tied up in him for 3 more years with guys like:
Harpur
Jaros
Chabot
Lajoie
Englund

All in the wings looking like the can play in the NHL sooner than later. That part of an early extension doesn't make sense to me.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I figure next year's D looks something like:

Claesson - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
Phaneuf - Jaros
Harpur, Borowiecki

With Englund and Lajoie still in the AHL.

I have the feeling at least one, most likely two, of Wideman, Phaneuf, Ceci will be dealt. Keep our 1st (NYR have our 2nd). Send something to Vegas for James Neal

Chabot - Karlsson (Chabot on his natural side)
Claesson/Harpur - Ceci/Phaneuf (which could modify the sides)
Claesson/Harpur - Jaros (shut down)
Borowiecki

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Hearing GMPD has gone into hiding until the guys in the room come down from the high of celebrating this signing, all the high fives and hugs were starting to get out of hand and aggressive!

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
I'm an "arrogant scoffing arm chair know it all corsi nerd", and I have no problem with this signing. Boro does well in a limited and sheltered role. Put him with another guy who has no ability to get the puck out of the zone (i.e. Ceci - the minutes they played together last season were a DISASTER), and there's a problem, but as long as he's playing sheltered minutes with a puck moving partner like Wideman he's fine. And if one of the Bingo players steps up and can take his spot, he's a perfect candidate to be a 7th D.

The team's real problem is the lack of a decent puck mover on the 2nd pairing. Phaneuf's too slow and Ceci doesn't have the defensive-zone hockey IQ.
This is a solid, reasonable post. Good stuff. And I agree. You're obviously not an "arrogant scoffing" poster, because people like that are not capable of rational discussion. ;)It's all "grrr grrr Boro bad! Boro worst of all time. Boro reason we lose! GRRR" in between severe bouts of drooling and foaming at the mouth for these people. You could ask these people anything and they'd say it's Boro's fault. Climate change? Grrr Boro's fault! ISIS? Damn Boro! McDonald's ice cream machines always broken? BOROOOOO

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Now we know why so quiet on trades and signings.
So what they're saying is we don't have anyone good who does what boro does so we sign boro

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Very important signing.

The glue of the team. The swiss army knife.

His hitting and leadership qualities, his accountability. We need this. We need the Boro-saurus.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Money is what it is. We knew this signing was coming.

I just hate we have a roster spot tied up in him for 3 more years with guys like:
Harpur
Jaros
Chabot
Lajoie
Englund

All in the wings looking like the can play in the NHL sooner than later. That part of an early extension doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not disagreeing with you about a potential logjam, but don't you think this is a very movable contract in a trade if it came to that? 1.2M x 2 years for a veteran bottom pairing D (ideally as a 7th D) who leads the league in hits and has somehow had every coach he's ever played for in love with him?

Now the Sens would probably never trade the guy, but that's not really the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad