Boone Jenner

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
A lot is riding on Hartnell's decision. If he is concerned about getting picked, perhaps guarantee him a stipulation that we'll pay LV a 2nd rounder to not take Hartnell. Crazy, I know, but it's probably easier to pay him off that way than to pay off LV - if Anderson/Jenner are unprotected they're as good as gone.

I agree that a lot rides on Hartnell's decision. I'm sure he has no interest in going to an expansion team so he would need to feel he is safe from being selected. Your approach seems a reasonable way of buying protection for him. (The reality is that I think LV would take Jack if looking for a 30-something option but Scott would be looking for more security than offered by a likely projection).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I agree that a lot rides on Hartnell's decision. I'm sure he has no interest in going to an expansion team so he would need to feel he is safe from being selected. Your approach seems a reasonable way of buying protection for him. (The reality is that I think LV would take Jack if looking for a 30-something option but Scott would be looking for more security than offered by a likely projection).

Well that's the carrot. The stick is "waive or we're buying you out."

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Is threatening Hartnell with a buyout really the "stick"? He would still be paid $5 million of the remaining $7.5 on his contract. He could very easily sign a contract worth what he "lost" in the buyout with nearly any competitive team in the league. It's not like he's the type of player who would be out of a job if he were bought out :laugh:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

I find the "stick" more preferred tool for eliminating non-productive players (e.g. Boll, Toots). I understand the desire to clear a slot, but don't like the "value proposition" in this scenario.

Now he may take it if offered. Like Finn said in a subsequent post, from Hartnell's viewpoint is getting $5M to say goodye a stick? or a carrot? I've always said in the business world, a great day for a large company CEO is the day he is fired and walks away with a $40M severance package. (Egos aside, but those heal quickly). :)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Is threatening Hartnell with a buyout really the "stick"? He would still be paid $5 million of the remaining $7.5 on his contract. He could very easily sign a contract worth what he "lost" in the buyout with nearly any competitive team in the league. It's not like he's the type of player who would be out of a job if he were bought out :laugh:

Money wise it's not really a stick, correct. But if he's unwilling to waive (no clue if he will be) it's probably because he doesn't want to risk getting uprooted, and that's exactly what a buyout would do.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Money wise it's not really a stick, correct. But if he's unwilling to waive (no clue if he will be) it's probably because he doesn't want to risk getting uprooted, and that's exactly what a buyout would do.

You really think they'd do that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad