Boone Jenner

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
In this great season for Columbus it seems odd for an outsider such as myself to see that Boone Jenner only has 13 goals this year after a breakout 30 goal season last year. I have been rooting for this guy since the world juniors where he was a beast. Is he just unlucky or has he regressed this year?

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
He and Dubinsky started awfully to the year--neither could find a rhythm. That's changed recently for both. I've called for the Jenner-Dubi-Atkinson line to be broken up because they've had some awful defensive games (I think they were a combined -18 or something against Boston this year with just one point).

There's a moderately vocal contingent on the boards who say Jenner just isn't quick or skilled enough for how Torts wants the team to play, so he's a square peg in a round hole.

I think last year's 30 goals was a fluke, and that he's really more of a 20 goal guy. Solid middle sixer, but doesn't have the vision or skill to really be much more. His passing will hold him back from a bigger breakout, but he's a decent piece.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Almost as if he was playing through an injury during first half.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It wasn't just scoring, he was terrible at everything in the first half. He wasn't even hitting much because he was so slow to get around. Confidence, injury, conditioning, who knows why.

He is really more of a 20-20 guy if he's on a scoring unit. That's about what most of us would have told you last summer too. (I think I said 25 goals). You won't see big assists from him either because of his limited vision. That's fine with me. He is what he is and he's a terror for teams to play against.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's been one of our best players since the calendar flipped. He's going to be around 20 goals every year. He brings intangibles, leadership, and drives the play with his style of play. He's the exact player Torts loves.

His season hasn't gone as planned but if he keeps playing like he has the past 2 months I am more than fine with him.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Was vocally upset with Jenner's play earlier this season, but he has definitely come around. As long as he doesn't ask for too much on his next contract, he's a good player to have on our side.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Not sure if it's true but a week or so ago, one of the announcers(can't remember who and if it was one of guys from t.v. or radio) said that Tortorella went up to Jenner and said something like this, "Look, you're not going to score 30 goals this season so just play your game" and ever since that talk, Boone's playing well.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
In this great season for Columbus it seems odd for an outsider such as myself to see that Boone Jenner only has 13 goals this year after a breakout 30 goal season last year. I have been rooting for this guy since the world juniors where he was a beast. Is he just unlucky or has he regressed this year?

If you had done a poll of the fans at the conclusion of last year, I think 80% of us would have said 30 goals was the anomaly. As other have chronicled, the 13 this season is probably too low becasue of his ice cold start to the year. Jenner is probably the 18-25 goal guy.

I didn't think about it until I began to type this, but Jenner didn't begin to warm up, until the team's power play began to cool off. They were scoring so much and so quickly on the power play, that skill was taking over and there was less team devotion to crashing the blue paint. Last night's goal in New Jersey is classic Boone Jenner.

www.nhl.com/bluejackets/video/jenners-stuff-in-goal/c-50028603

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
His numbers are very comparable to Shane Doan at the same age. I don't think his ceiling is as high as Doan, but I agree if you get 20-20 out of him, sort of a Dubinsky-as-wing.....that's not a terrible thing.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio

Boone has played his game this year.. at times like last night the puck rebounds and he pots the goal. His scoring had dried up so badly that he was pressing really hard & almost appeared awkward with the puck. Luckily the rest of the team has picked up their play and we could win without Boone on the score sheet. Once the reality hit that 30 wasn't happening, he has reappeared as a gritty drive the net guy that goes to the crease and fights to screen the goalie. Good for him for fighting through it.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
30 was a peak year for Boone. 20-25 is a realistic expectation. He's fought it a bit this season, but he's coming along of late.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Boone (and Dubinsky to a lesser extent) wreaking havoc on that line is a good compliment to Cam's skill. Boone's back to being Boone. Good to have that energy, getting under opponents' skin with his intensity. He's not a classic agitator. He pisses players off with tenacity more than cheap shots or chirps.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
A player like Boone is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more valuable in the playoffs than he is in the reg season. He'll be worth his wait in gold in those close, physical games.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
A player like Boone is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more valuable in the playoffs than he is in the reg season. He'll be worth his wait in gold in those close, physical games.

I agree, Jenner is built for it. And I feel the same way about Anderson, Dubi, Foligno, maybe Hartnell, JJ, and without a doubt, Savard. This team has the composition to punish the opposition, we just don't see it because that's not Torts' gameplan. I'm wondering if round 1 they'll unload.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I agree, Jenner is built for it. And I feel the same way about Anderson, Dubi, Foligno, maybe Hartnell, JJ, and without a doubt, Savard. This team has the composition to punish the opposition, we just don't see it because that's not Torts' gameplan. I'm wondering if round 1 they'll unload.
Probably. It isn't reasonable to play such physically punishing games during the regular season with still so many games left to go.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Also by showing different looks and finding different ways to win games keeps the opponent guessing as to what they can do and it gives the guys confidence that they can win games in other ways than grinding it out or pure skill.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015

^^This.

Imagine Jenner, Anderson and Hartnell all healthy on an extended playoff run. As Hitch would say......heavy.

Then throw in some more sandpaper like Calvert and Dubinski (or as Grapes would say Dublinski). Okay.....Savard and Johnson just for good measure.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Hi guys!

Is there a deal to be made during offseason for him?

I thought :

:habs

Boone Jenner

:cbj

Michael McCarron

if a small add is needed, we can negotiate something (If Jenner's available obviously)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Hi guys!

I thought :

Boone Jenner

Michael McCarron

if a small add is needed, we can negotiate something (If Jenner's available obviously)

Ta-boom-tush
:laugh: :laugh:

What makes you think they're in the same planet value-wise?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Hi guys!

I thought :

Boone Jenner

Michael McCarron

Could there be a Jenner deal in the offseason? Slight chance i guess but unlikely. Is McCarron the guy to trade for? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I think last year's 30 goals was a fluke, and that he's really more of a 20 goal guy. Solid middle sixer, but doesn't have the vision or skill to really be much more. His passing will hold him back from a bigger breakout, but he's a decent piece.

He is really more of a 20-20 guy if he's on a scoring unit. That's about what most of us would have told you last summer too. (I think I said 25 goals). You won't see big assists from him either because of his limited vision. That's fine with me. He is what he is and he's a terror for teams to play against.

I can save keystrokes as these posts reflect my thoughts on Boone.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Hi guys!

I thought :

Boone Jenner

Michael McCarron

Since I'm sure you don't mean McCarron is the centerpiece of a deal for Jenner, what's the centerpiece? McCarron is a pretty big throw-in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad