Proposal: Boone Jenner to Rangers

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Where are these blue chip prospects you speak of? Certainly not in this offer
Perreault is a no doubt blue chipper IMO. Othmann was picked in the teens and could definitely be in the discussion depending on your definition of “blue chip”.

Columbus doesn’t have some awesome prospect pool or serious young talent outside of Fantilli. They need every lottery ticket they can get in my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowumbus and Groo

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Perreault is a no doubt blue chipper IMO. Othmann was picked in the teens and could definitely be in the discussion depending on your definition of “blue chip”.

Columbus doesn’t have some awesome prospect pool or serious young talent outside of Fantilli. They need every lottery ticket they can get in my opinion.
Fantilli, Johnson, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Marchenko, Chinakhov, Voronkov and Sillinger are some solid young pieces either for their next core or as trade pieces. Add to that they will have another high pick this year. They accumulated a lot more young pieces than the Rangers did in their rebuild but the Rangers had better vets in place and had a Norris caliber defenseman force his way there.

We have had plenty of lottery tickets, we either need to let this group grow together and see if they are good enough or do what NJ did and start supplementing the identified core using young pieces through trade

Reactions: Viqsi

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
why so much for Jenner? Like his playing style but hes got 2 years left on the downside of 30. He wont be playing top line minutes or power play minutes for the rangers so scoring will disappear to just being a random chip in guy which is needed in the playoffs but the trade value simply isn't there. If CBJ fans are saying his value is high because they dont need to/want to move him thats fine but Jenner shouldnt command any real value outside of that.

Reactions: Ail

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The prospect pool here was being routinely rated among the top 5 in the league before Fantilli was drafted.
There’s some solid players like Brindley and Mateychuk joining Fantilli and Marchenko and Voronkov. Can’t tell if Chinakov is a long term piece but I like him. I’d be worried about Sillinger/Johnson/Jiricek though.

I don’t think it’s deep enough to be turning down a solid return for Boone Jenner. That’s my point. I get why you don’t move Werenski. But Jenner?

It would be wise to cash in on him playing a ton of minutes on bad teams while you can.

Reactions: Toe Pick

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
There’s some solid players like Brindley and Mateychuk joining Fantilli and Marchenko and Voronkov. Can’t tell if Chinakov is a long term piece but I like him. I’d be worried about Sillinger/Johnson/Jiricek though.

I don’t think it’s deep enough to be turning down a solid return for Boone Jenner. That’s my point. I get why you don’t move Werenski. But Jenner?

It would be wise to cash in on him playing a ton of minutes on bad teams while you can.
He plays a ton of minutes because hes valuable to us. We are bad with him, we'd be horrible without him. Last game, his 1st without the bubble on since a broken jaw was a good example of what he brings to the team.

Also I dont get why people get concerned over Jiricek specifically? We know defensemen almost always take time. His biggest progressions will be made in the gym.
Johnson is probably having a bit of a sophmore slump but his 5v5 scoring is up, the PP is terrible and somehow he has 0 points there, definitely room for improvement for himself and the team there.
Sillinger is fine and can be a solid 3rd line center. Kind of why I hope we draft in a position where Lindstrom is avilable

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
why so much for Jenner? Like his playing style but hes got 2 years left on the downside of 30. He wont be playing top line minutes or power play minutes for the rangers so scoring will disappear to just being a random chip in guy which is needed in the playoffs but the trade value simply isn't there. If CBJ fans are saying his value is high because they dont need to/want to move him thats fine but Jenner shouldnt command any real value outside of that.
Sentimental value. I get it. All teams have heart and soul guys that you love to watch play, night in and night out. It also means said players value is usually drastically inflated.

Jenner is a fine player. But for the reasons you outlined, he won't command anywhere near the value expected. 1st + Prospect? 2nd + young player reclamation project? Sure.

I don't think he will fetch anywhere near what Lindholm or Monahan did though. He has never had the point per game type of production those two have had.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see some team pay through the nose to acquire Jenner. I've always liked the Jackets and I want to see them do well. I just don't think he is worth it and if there really is a ridiculous ask by the CBJ, let it be another team to pony up and not the Rangers.

Reactions: Caps8112

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Disagree with framing his term as a negative. $3.75 mil is pretty friendly for what he brings to the table at a premium position. It would be the justification for a team paying the high price required.

Reactions: Viqsi

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Disagree with framing his term as a negative. $3.75 mil is pretty friendly for what he brings to the table at a premium position. It would be the justification for a team paying the high price required.
I agree with this.

However, I also think the only way Columbus gets anywhere near the ask that has been speculated is if they retain 50%. If you do that, then yeah. I think you get into 1st + blue chip + territory. A guy like Jenner, with term, at $1.9 million? Many teams could make that happen and I'd expect the price to be outrageous.

At his current cap hit? Less so.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Do you watch college hockey at all, or even know a single CBJ prospect outside of Fantilli? No offense, of course. Anyway, I’d make the argument that Gavin Brindley is just as good of a prospect as Perreault; and neither are blue-chips. Jiricek and Mateychuk ahead of him easily. Brindley isn’t even top 3 for us…

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Do you watch college hockey at all, or even know a single CBJ prospect outside of Fantilli? No offense, of course. Anyway, I’d make the argument that Gavin Brindley is just as good of a prospect as Perreault; and neither are blue-chips. Jiricek and Mateychuk ahead of him easily. Brindley isn’t even top 3 for us…
I watch some, mostly the tournament. I love Brindley and I’d put him around Perreault too.

Has everything to do with your definition of blue chip being different than mine. I just mean an A prospect like Central Scouting does.

Not here to argue about prospect rating either, my original post is that CBJ is not close enough to competing nor is Jenner good enough to pass up A prospects like Perreault or 1sts for him. Agree to disagree.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Perreault leads college hockey in PPG. If you want to say Brindley is blue chip, I got no issue with that, but Perreault most definitely is a blue chip guy.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowumbus

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Perreault leads college hockey in PPG. If you want to say Brindley is blue chip, I got no issue with that, but Perreault most definitely is a blue chip guy.
Yeah on a stacked BC team and he’s not even their best player.

You need to be like a 8.5-9B ranking to be a blue chip I’d say. Both Brindley and Perreault are like 8C.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah on a stacked BC team and he’s not even their best player.

You need to be like a 8.5-9B ranking to be a blue chip I’d say. Both Brindley and Perreault are like 8C.
Why is he not even their best player?

He plays on a team with three top 10 picks, and has more points than all of them.

Don't you think that says something?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Why is he not even their best player?

He plays on a team with three top 10 picks, and has more points than all of them.

Don't you think that says something?
Do you watch them play? He’s a liability in his own zone.

I said he was good (clearly, as he was one of my targets in a trade!). But imagine saying Bordeleau was a blue-chip prospect and Michigan’s best player because of points… anyone that watched could have told you Beniers or maybe even Brisson.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
my original post is that CBJ is not close enough to competing nor is Jenner good enough to pass up A prospects like Perreault or 1sts for him.

It's sad that there is such a pervasive idea on the boards that the only reason to keep a great veteran leader is if you're close to competing.

Folks here only think in terms of selling and buying. The long awkward in between parts where you need stability, structure, and good mentoring are ignored. Perhaps because they don't exist in the video games.

Reactions: CBJx614

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do you watch them play? He’s a liability in his own zone.

I said he was good (clearly, as he was one of my targets in a trade!). But imagine saying Bordeleau was a blue-chip prospect and Michigan’s best player because of points… anyone that watched could have told you Beniers or maybe even Brisson.
No, I’ve never seen him play. Only look at the box score.

Kucherov isn’t a good defensive player. Doesn’t matter when you score a million points.

I don’t think he’s that bad defensively either. He’s not a strong defensive player, but I think every team has at least one worse defensive forward than him.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Probably.

I guess my point is if I was drafting someone off of BC, he’s not my first choice.
And if I'm taking a player from the Penguins dynasty then Malkin isn't my first choice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad