Proposal: Boone Jenner to Rangers

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I mean... not gonna lie, some of these posts are hilarious.
Well Perreault and K. Miller are the two guys who I find interesting from a CBJ POV.

The other stuff is fine, just not what we need.

To get Jenner, it’s going to hurt…

You find them "interesting"? I'm sure you do. Zero chance that a prospect of Perrault's caliber is traded for Jenner.

No one expects to get Jenner for cheap. But realistically he is a career 40 point player and in his last 20 playoffs games has a whopping 4 points.

The way people are drooling over Jenner you would think he's averaged 40 goals and 70 points a year for the last 5 years.

He is good, but pass.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I mean... not gonna lie, some of these posts are hilarious.

You find them "interesting"? I'm sure you do. Zero chance that a prospect of Perrault's caliber is traded for Jenner.
And what is caliber is that exactly? A 5’11 165lb kid drafted late in the 1st, who is playing on a loaded BC team is now untouchable? What makes him significantly better than say, Gavin Brindley? No - I am not saying he’s bad. He’s a good player. However, kick rocks. You’re mad because we don’t want to trade a good player for cheap. None of the other pieces listed in the OP are worth enough to the CBJ to warrant moving Jenner.
No one expects to get Jenner for cheap. But realistically he is a career 40 point player and in his last 20 playoffs games has a whopping 4 points.
Jenner’s last 163 games, 109 points (55pt pace).
30+ goal pace for the past 3 years on a terrible team. He’s making 3.75 AAV until 2026. His 5v5 G/60 would be behind only Panarin on the NYR, and tied for 3rd in total goals 5v5.
The way people are drooling over Jenner you would think he's averaged 40 goals and 70 points a year for the last 5 years.
Almost like there is more to hockey than just points.
He is good, but pass.
We are more than happy keeping him!

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
And what is caliber is that exactly? A kid drafted late in the 1st, who is playing on a loaded BC team is now untouchable? Kick rocks then. You’re mad because we don’t want to trade a good player for cheap. None of the other pieces listed in the OP are worth enough to the CBJ to warrant moving Jenner.

Jenner’s last 163 games, 109 points.
30+ goal pace for the past 3 years on a terrible team. He’s making 3.75 AAV until 2026. His 5v5 G/60 would be behind only Panarin on the NYR, and tied for 3rd in total goals.

Almost like there is more to hockey than just points.

We are more than happy keeping him!
I'm mad? That is news to me!

It has nothing to do with trading a player for cheap. I fully understand you have to give to get. I just don't quite get the love affair with Boone Jenner or think he is worth some of the ridiculous asks. While it's great that you can pull stats from the last 3 years vs. looking at his entire inconsistent body of work, he had a whopping 41 points in 111 games in the years prior.

We need Jenner for the playoffs and I'm sorry, his playoff stats are reminiscent of Rick Nash. If the Rangers are going to make a splash for a player, it needs to be someone who is an impact playoff player.

You guys can keep Jenner and both teams can be happy.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I'm mad? That is news to me!

It has nothing to do with trading a player for cheap. I fully understand you have to give to get. I just don't quite get the love affair with Boone Jenner or think he is worth some of the ridiculous asks. While it's great that you can pull stats from the last 3 years vs. looking at his entire inconsistent body of work, he had a whopping 41 points in 111 games in the years prior.
You mean after playing through multiple back injuries (starting in 2014, then occurring on an off again from 2017-2020), missing training camps…
We need Jenner for the playoffs and I'm sorry, his playoff stats are reminiscent of Rick Nash. If the Rangers are going to make a splash for a player, it needs to be someone who is an impact playoff player.
You keep saying this but it’s pretty clear you just are looking at stats rather than matchups/usage/lines.

Go look when they asked him to play 1st line in the playoffs in 2013. 5 points in 6 games playing across from Jack F***ing Skille.

You use his ‘bad’ playoff stats against him without considering
1) We suck, one series win ever
2) We used other players in scoring roles, and used him on a shutdown line (as seen in the last 2 playoff runs where 21% and 34% of his starts were in the dzone - which is top3 on the team both years).
You guys can keep Jenner and both teams can be happy.
Agreed. Please take Roslovic as a parting gift, for free. Our gift to you.

Last edited:

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
I'd imagine Miller very much not off-limits, Othmann as well I guess. Jones possibly. Whether CBJ need them I've no idea. Rangers aren't giving up Kakko or Gabe for a 30yo 3C purely because he's on a good contract for a couple of years.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
You mean after playing through multiple back injuries (starting in 2014, then occurring on an off again from 2017-2020), missing training camps…

You keep saying this but it’s pretty clear you just are looking at stats rather than matchups/usage/lines.

Go look when they asked him to play 1st line in the playoffs in 2013. 5 points in 6 games playing across from Jack F***ing Skille.

You use his ‘bad’ playoff stats against him without considering
1) We suck, one series win ever
2) We used other players in scoring roles, and used him on a shutdown line (as seen in the last 2 playoff runs where 21% and 34% of his starts were in the dzone - which is top3 on the team both years).

There is no 'bad'. Those are bad and yes, I am looking at stats. As most people do.

You guys can keep Jenner and be happy and the Rangers will not have Jenner and be equally as happy. Both those things can exist.

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
Jones, Kakko, Miller not off limits at this TDL. Othmann and Perrault, absolutely.
Gonna be dumb trading Kakko. Unless it's a blockbuster (Z), end even then we're already skin deep at RW. Let alone defensively sound RW.
Othmann still can't skate at NHL level and we're loaded at LW. You saw where he ended up at his last outing.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
There is no 'bad'. Those are bad and yes, I am looking at stats. As most people do.
Stats are meaningless without context

Example) is Perreault better than Celebrini because the stats say he scores more? Does a Vatrano for Lafreniere trade make sense?? Obviously not.

For the record, I was more interested in K’Miller as the piece coming to Cbus anyway.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
What will it take?

Big roster contributors off limits. Gabe Perreault only prospect off limits.

Assets I'd consider moving (in the right deal): 2024 1st, 2024 2nd, 2025 1st, Othmann, Sykora, Kakko, Jones, Robertson
Firstly, thank go you are not the NYR GM. Why not just mortgage our entire future for mid-line players?

Secondly, these asks for Jenner are absolutely crazy. He is a 30 year old middle 6 centre with meh numbers. Anyone really thinks he NYR are paying ridiculous price for someone who would be a 3rd line centre is smoking some strong stuff.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Jenner is not a pending UFA nor has he requested a trade.

He is a very effective player and a valuable leader on a young team.

The Jackets have 0 reason to move him aside from potentially getting a trade offer containing a player or piece they could not say no to. So unless a trade offer meets that criteria, a trade is unlikely to happen.

Reactions: CBJx614

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
He's just disproportionately necessary for our ongoing roster development, and, as always, people get offended when the lowly Blue Jackets tell them "no" to being their farm team.
Y’all have said the same thing for 5-6 years now. It hasn’t worked. I think it’s absolutely bat shit crazy to turn down blue chip prospects for Boone Jenner. But it works in the Pens favor so go for it.

The best teams of the cap era except for Boston all did full blown tear downs. Idk why CBJ needs to be different.

Reactions: Toe Pick

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Y’all have said the same thing for 5-6 years now. It hasn’t worked. I think it’s absolutely bat shit crazy to turn down blue chip prospects for Boone Jenner. But it works in the Pens favor so go for it.

The best teams of the cap era except for Boston all did full blown tear downs. Idk why CBJ needs to be different.
Where are these blue chip prospects you speak of? Certainly not in this offer

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Jenner's goal totals are going to come down playing for NY.
1. We suck 5 on 5.
2. He's not scoring 7-8 powerplay goals.
3. He's not getting 19 minutes a night. His current even strength /60 scoring are the same as Cuylle. So expect to be slightly disappointed if you're looking at him and thinking you're getting close to 50 points with him playing less minutes, less powerplay minutes, and playing a 3c role.

I would be thrilled to land Jenner, but the cost to acquire him is greater than the cost of the position we need to fill. He's better than a 3c and it would be a waste to put him there. It would be a waste of the assets needed to make this trade go down.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd imagine Miller very much not off-limits, Othmann as well I guess. Jones possibly. Whether CBJ need them I've no idea. Rangers aren't giving up Kakko or Gabe for a 30yo 3C purely because he's on a good contract for a couple of years.
Disagree about Kakko.

They will both be UFA’s at the same point. Kakko will also be getting a raise soon for his contract to be at a similar or higher cap hit to Jenner. Some like to think of Kakko as this 2OA with amazing potential, but we are in year 5, and he has the offensive numbers of a fourth liner despite playing half the season on the first line. Players aren’t as bad as their worst year, but it was pulling teeth for this guy to hit 40 points last season. We are in year 5, he’s no better than an okay second line winger, and his bad seasons he’s been worse than that.

With the wingers we have coming in Perreault in Othmann, I don’t think trading Kakko would be some disaster, especially if it helps us upgrade for more than one season at a position of need. 3C is a big issue, now and in the future, because of Chytil’s concussions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad