Player Discussion BoJesus-Jangles Horvat

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Horvat wants out... the guy is a competitor and likes to win, I can see being on a team as badly managed as the Canucks and the bleak future we currently have with little direction why he'd want out of this joke. I'm betting this has to do with the hold up, personally I really like Horvat and I think his career would be better served outside of the Canucks, so a part of me hopes he's moved so he can do something with his career.

I think it's time to go enjoy that summer weather, sir.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I hope Horvat signs for a shorter term, has massive breakout years and then cashes in. Would pay money to see the look on linden's face after his recent quote of not wanting him at 8 years.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I hope Horvat signs for a shorter term, has massive breakout years and then cashes in. Would pay money to see the look on linden's face after his recent quote of not wanting him at 8 years.

Even better if he does that on another team that offer sheets him and the Canucks don't match.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I predict Bo getting a deal that's probably slightly higher than Johnny G's.

6 year deal, $41.4M ($6.9M AAV) with a 3M signing bonus.

Management's made their bed. Now they gotta sleep in it.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Cool. Enjoy watching Sutter as your 1C then.

that's nice. Where is Bo going to go for the next 4 years? Him, his dog, and his girlfriend going to Russia?

He has no arbitration rights until next year. If he thinks he is worth 6m then bridge him. go prove it.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
If I was him I wouldn't settle for a penny under Eriksson's contract. You can say RFA vs UFA all you want, one guy is paid handsomely to not play very well and that sets expectations for everyone else. That's the problem with overpaying bad players for bad production, everyone else now wants more when they are pulling their own weight.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
If I was him I wouldn't settle for a penny under Eriksson's contract. You can say RFA vs UFA all you want, one guy is paid handsomely to not play very well and that sets expectations for everyone else. That's the problem with overpaying bad players for bad production, everyone else now wants more when they are pulling their own weight.

and Loui Eriksson signed that after a 30g / 63 point campaign. Should we just pay him 7years 7m per because he outscored the sedins?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
that's nice. Where is Bo going to go for the next 4 years? Him, his dog, and his girlfriend going to Russia?

He has no arbitration rights until next year. If he thinks he is worth 6m then bridge him. go prove it.

:laugh:

Management is going to sit Bo because of his contract demands? Like they sat Kesler right? Oh right... they didn't, they traded Kes for good stuff + Sbisa.

Management is going to ask Bo Horvat to "prove it"?

Because the Canucks have sooooooooooo much leverage right now?

Because Hank is gonna suddenly get 5 years younger and 5 years less jaded?

Because Granlund? Sutter?

Oh I know.. because the fans are a patient bunch and are fully onboard with a 10 year rebuild because Lying Linden said the word?

Please share why you think the Canucks have enough leverage to be able to ask Bo to "prove it".

PS. Without Bo, who's our first line next season?

edit.

Oops.. I forgot about Gagner

Ok. Gagner is now our 1C. Praise Jimbo.

Last edited:

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
lol...are you serious? Bo is loyal and loves the city and team. He's the face of the franchise. Take a hike. Worst post of the year and that's including MtB ones

Mah I read worse, like when almost every member on this board was calling Horvat a bust cause he couldn't score in the AHL, I was one of the very few disagreeing with that. When most of you wanted to trade him for a 2nd rounder...

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
:laugh:

Management is going to sit Bo because of his contract demands? Like they sat Kesler right? Oh right... they didn't, they traded Kes for good stuff + Sbisa.

Management is going to ask Bo Horvat to "prove it"?

Because the Canucks have sooooooooooo much leverage right now?

Because Hank is gonna suddenly get 5 years younger and 5 years less jaded?

Because Granlund? Sutter?

Oh I know.. because the fans are a patient bunch and are fully onboard with a 10 year rebuild because Lying Linden said the word?

Please share why you think the Canucks have enough leverage to be able to ask Bo to "prove it".

PS. Without Bo, who's our first line next season?

The Sedins as they probably will be anyways.

Sedin
Sutter
Gagner
Burmistrov

there is the centers. wow what a challenge.

the Canucks are a 700m franchise. If they are getting pushed around by every player agent who comes in then they will get no respect.

Bo Horvat's leverage is 'i'm a good player.' There is nothing else there for him right now. Perhaps an offersheet but it won't happen.

The narrative could also turn pretty quickly on Bo Horvat and his agency. An agency that people already dislike as they normally play hardball. There are a lot of comparable contracts in that range and if they are asking too much then the mainstream media will display that. one season at 52 points and asking 6million. People would turn.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The Sedins as they probably will be anyways.

Sedin
Sutter
Gagner
Burmistrov

there is the centers. wow what a challenge.

the Canucks are a 700m franchise. If they are getting pushed around by every player agent who comes in then they will get no respect.

Bo Horvat's leverage is 'i'm a good player.' There is nothing else there for him right now. Perhaps an offersheet but it won't happen.

The narrative could also turn pretty quickly on Bo Horvat and his agency. An agency that people already dislike as they normally play hardball. There are a lot of comparable contracts in that range and if they are asking too much then the mainstream media will display that. one season at 52 points and asking 6million. People would turn.

So the message I'm getting from you is that Bo is a replaceable dime-a-dozen player that the Canucks can afford to play hardball with.

I accept that this is your opinion and we'll agree to disagree. :)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Linden basically said horvat not getting an 8 year deal.

Thats a disaster if true

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Yea this might be the straw that broke the Camel's back for me

Sign this guy to 8 years now.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Regardless of what Lying Linden says, Bo knows his value to this team.

• With Hansen gone, Bo is our #1 play driving forward now.
  • Hank's just along for the ride at the moment as evident by post-TDL play and his end-of-the-season words of (paraphrasing) he has no idea what the future holds for them
  • Instead of an amiable cooperative transition, management decides on a scorched earth policy and makes it ABUNDANTLY clear to anyone paying attention how much they valued Hank and the other vets.
  • There is currently no other player as important to both the short term as well as the long term well being of this franchise as Bo Horvat and management's butchery of the team over the last few years has all but guaranteed this scenario.
Bo knows his value to this team and so does Bo's agent.

If I were Bo's agent, with 9.3M in cap space left, I'd be asking for at LEAST 6 of that... or maybe even higher considering the Sedin's salaries come off the books next season.

Bo doesn't owe the Canucks diddly squat right now and loyalty? Incompetent fools don't engender loyalty.

Cynical? Not at all. If you paid attention the last couple years you would have seen how unhappy our vets were and nothing's changed aside from Hansen and Burr no longer with the team.

edit.

**** yo. If 24 point Eriksson can get a 6x6 contract out of these fools, then if I'm Bo, that's where I'm starting my negotiations.

Pretty much this.

It also wouldn't surprise me at all if the Canucks were only offering $3-4M. My guess is they probably still see him as a 3rd line defensive C so why would they give him a big contract?

I'd bet your bang on Y2K!

The clowns running this organization are so incredibly stupid that they have probably already pissed Bo and his agent off trying to low ball him.

Just give Bo whatever term he wants somewhere around 5-6 mill per year. Even if Bo doesn't take another inch forward in his development, that's the current rate for a young 50 point #2 C.

This should be Bennings easiest contract to make in his time here and I honestly don't know why it's taking so long :dunno: even a rocket surgeon would be able figure this out.

Last edited:

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Everyone talking about how Linden said an 8 year deal isn't going to happen are assuming that that's on the Canucks end; maybe Horvat's camp doesn't want that long of a deal?

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
It's a little strange the negotiation seems to be a bit drawn out. Even before the season ended Linden and Benning were making comments that the contract could "take a while", or something to that effect.

I think it gets done, but I'm not sure what the complication is. I suppose the discussion is on whether this should be a bridge contract or something a bit longer term.

I would think something along the lines of $25 million over 5 years would be a decent compromise by both sides? Or am I way off?

"Left handed playmaking center" :huh:

I think your on to something

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Mah I read worse, like when almost every member on this board was calling Horvat a bust cause he couldn't score in the AHL, I was one of the very few disagreeing with that. When most of you wanted to trade him for a 2nd rounder...

I'm sure you can pull up threads verifying that "almost every member on this board was calling him a bust" and "wanted to trade him for a second rounder" because that's not at all how I remember it. I remember some hand wringing over Nuke and a few sensationalist posters freaking out about his poor youngstars tournament but I seriously doubt what you are claiming

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
This should be Bennings easiest contract to make in his time here and I honestly don't know why it's taking so long :dunno: even a rocket surgeon would be able figure this out.

Point of clarification.

"It doesn't take a rocket scientist"...

---

This isn't cut and dry at all.

Bo's value TO THE CANUCKS is way way higher than his NHL market value.

Which is essentially my point.

Context matters and comparing Bo's production to similar players doesn't mean a damn thing as THE CANUCKS do NOT have another player like Bo in their (our) organization.

Unlike for example Toronto who CAN AFFORD to play hardball (if need be) with William Nylander and Mitch Marner come contract time because Austin Matthews. They won't need to though because the SC is the end goal for Toronto and none of the aforementioned players would (presumably) jeopardize that by looking out for themselves and asking for the moon.

Vancouver on the other hand is one of the teams that is the furthest away from a SC and if the Canucks are serious about a rebuild, they need a strong leader to lead them and that boat has sailed with regards to Hank due to age and management idiocy.

Bo and his agent knows the situation here in Vancouver and no SC in the next 6 years means Bo has to look out for Bo and a 6x6.9M contract isn't unrealistic IMO.

I don't know if Lying Linden who is publicly stating they won't sign Bo to a 8 year contract knows.

I have no idea how or why this guy is still employed. :shakehead

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Well we went through a similar delay with Kesler years ago. And I suspect some team will pay Bo the dollars he deserves. We also gave Umberger away years before Kesler.

As a franchise we love playing hard ball with players we draft who are looking good and still young.

As I have said before, this team will never win anything until its moved somewhere else.

The only hope it has, is to fire the scouts and the management, hire proven winners, and remove the current country club atmosphere.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
i don't know how the **** Bo's agent could argue for 6m. they have next to no rights. I'd be sitting his ass out at that point.

putting him at par with Filip Forsberg, 100k behind Mark Schiefele, 400k off Monahan and Mackinnon, 100k more than Barkov and Huberdeau.

He should be getting around Mike Hoffman money if they go long term. 5.2m or so.

Because you have to get him signed or else the ticket sales will plummet even more.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Because you have to get him signed or else the ticket sales will plummet even more.

And because Jim Benning.

There was no reason for Ben Hutton to get 2.8M either; it was totally absurd. But when your GM is Santa Claus you ask for what you want.

Leave it to this FO to play hardball with Bo though after giving everyone else whatever they asked for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad