Player Discussion BoJesus-Jangles Horvat

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Cap space is irrelevant to us right now, so long term makes sense as long as it reduces his cap hit overall. My guess is Benning is offering an 8 year 5.5mil deal or a two year 3.5mil deal.

Either get him locked up at a reasonable rate, or low ball him on the short term to push him more towards the long term. He does still have a lot to prove, and as much as I think he'll get there this sport is still a business.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
2 yr, $4.75mil per.

Think he gets a bridge. 17 goalless games to end the season doesn't scream he's ready for a long term commitment. Needs to prove himself still.. and develop consistency.

Essentially every player is inconsistent when you look at it like this

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
So why hasn't he been signed yet? I wouldn't blame Horvat at all if he wants out of this joke of a team.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
So....

hifmzXl.png

iuL4EEo.png

What's it gonna be?

Think it's awesome Benning has 13 million tied up in Sutter, Gagner and Ericksson lol god that Ericksson contract really sucks, these deals should get GMs fired.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Yeah, not too sure why he's not signed yet. The Habs even got around to signing Galchenyuk, which is another alright comparable. I definitely think Horvat should be sub-$5M AAV.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Horvat wants out... the guy is a competitor and likes to win, I can see being on a team as badly managed as the Canucks and the bleak future we currently have with little direction why he'd want out of this joke. I'm betting this has to do with the hold up, personally I really like Horvat and I think his career would be better served outside of the Canucks, so a part of me hopes he's moved so he can do something with his career.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Horvat wants out... the guy is a competitor and likes to win, I can see being on a team as badly managed as the Canucks and the bleak future we currently have with little direction why he'd want out of this joke. I'm betting this has to do with the hold up, personally I really like Horvat and I think his career would be better served outside of the Canucks, so a part of me hopes he's moved so he can do something with his career.

Wow talk about negativity to the max hahaha... He is our draft pick he will go down with the ship I could care less about his career with another team. :nod:

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

lol...are you serious? Bo is loyal and loves the city and team. He's the face of the franchise. Take a hike. Worst post of the year and that's including MtB ones

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI

Its story time ! We have no idea how the players feel about how this team is run. This is nothing new when dealing with Newport they are great at waiting it out and getting the best deals for the guys they rep

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
Blame it on the Oilers for driving up the cost of RFAs year after year. Idiots.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I think the team wants to extend Sedins for a further two seasons. Seriously. They are afraid Horvat won't want to play behind them for three more years (and who could blame him?).

Canucks have zero upside if they lose Horvat. If you put it into those terms, they should be giving him Sedin money, no? Perhaps seven million US dollars is enough to watch the Sedins' decline?

Your constant hand wringing over Horvat leaving is really bizarre, especially since he's never given any indication of displeasure.

Yeah he's just totally ready to punch his ticket out of town. We have plenty of space and it will get done. Whether it's a discount or not I can't say but it's really not uncommon to wait to re-sign RFAs until after free agency.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
It's a little strange the negotiation seems to be a bit drawn out. Even before the season ended Linden and Benning were making comments that the contract could "take a while", or something to that effect.

I think it gets done, but I'm not sure what the complication is. I suppose the discussion is on whether this should be a bridge contract or something a bit longer term.

I would think something along the lines of $25 million over 5 years would be a decent compromise by both sides? Or am I way off?

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

Exactly. He is a professional that seems to work very hard to better himself (i.e. his skating). In his profession there are 30 teams. In the last 2 years his team has been at the absolute bottom of his profession. In all reality one can assume it's because of a lack of betterment and success by the management of this team. They are failures who do not get better over time when it's up to them to get better.

Why would someone who truly wants to get better put themselves in a situation that isn't even close to what's probably best for them?

This team is an absolute nightmare. Bottom of the league for two years in a row with no true gem to show for it. Traded a few players/lost to fa, replaced with worse players. What's to look forward to? These two latest first round picks? Really....? Feels like other teams that have done much better than us in last two years have better prospects than us.

Worse yet what does it actually look like behind closed doors? Probably even worse and mismanaged than what we get to see. His junior team was probably run better than the Canucks as of late.

What's to look forward to.... team produced social media stuff and youtube videos are on the rise, a renovated restaurant/bar/suites etc, hmm what else I can't contain myself

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Regardless of what Lying Linden says, Bo knows his value to this team.

• With Hansen gone, Bo is our #1 play driving forward now.
  • Hank's just along for the ride at the moment as evident by post-TDL play and his end-of-the-season words of (paraphrasing) he has no idea what the future holds for them
  • Instead of an amiable cooperative transition, management decides on a scorched earth policy and makes it ABUNDANTLY clear to anyone paying attention how much they valued Hank and the other vets.
  • There is currently no other player as important to both the short term as well as the long term well being of this franchise as Bo Horvat and management's butchery of the team over the last few years has all but guaranteed this scenario.
Bo knows his value to this team and so does Bo's agent.

If I were Bo's agent, with 9.3M in cap space left, I'd be asking for at LEAST 6 of that... or maybe even higher considering the Sedin's salaries come off the books next season.

Bo doesn't owe the Canucks diddly squat right now and loyalty? Incompetent fools don't engender loyalty.

Cynical? Not at all. If you paid attention the last couple years you would have seen how unhappy our vets were and nothing's changed aside from Hansen and Burr no longer with the team.

edit.

**** yo. If 24 point Eriksson can get a 6x6 contract out of these fools, then if I'm Bo, that's where I'm starting my negotiations.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Cap space is irrelevant to us right now, so long term makes sense as long as it reduces his cap hit overall. My guess is Benning is offering an 8 year 5.5mil deal or a two year 3.5mil deal.

Either get him locked up at a reasonable rate, or low ball him on the short term to push him more towards the long term. He does still have a lot to prove, and as much as I think he'll get there this sport is still a business.

What??

Oh God not this again.

CAP SPACE IS NEVER IRRELEVANT. CAP SPACE IS AN ASSET.

Hopefully that should put an end to that.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
i don't know how the **** Bo's agent could argue for 6m. they have next to no rights. I'd be sitting his ass out at that point.

putting him at par with Filip Forsberg, 100k behind Mark Schiefele, 400k off Monahan and Mackinnon, 100k more than Barkov and Huberdeau.

He should be getting around Mike Hoffman money if they go long term. 5.2m or so.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
What??

Oh God not this again.

CAP SPACE IS NEVER IRRELEVANT. CAP SPACE IS AN ASSET.

Hopefully that should put an end to that.

This needs to be reiterated. Completely shortsighted to think that cap space is irrelevant if it cannot be utilized today.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
i don't know how the **** Bo's agent could argue for 6m. I'd be sitting his ass out at that point.

putting him at par with Filip Forsberg, 100k behind Mark Schiefele, 400k of Monahan and Mackinnon, 100k more than Barkov and Huberdeau.

He should be getting around Mike Hoffman money if they go long term. 5.2m or so.

Cool. Enjoy watching Sutter as your 1C then.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Regardless of what Lying Linden says, Bo knows his value to this team.

• With Hansen gone, Bo is our #1 play driving forward now.
  • Hank's just along for the ride at the moment as evident by post-TDL play and his end-of-the-season words of (paraphrasing) he has no idea what the future holds for them
  • Instead of an amiable cooperative transition, management decides on a scorched earth policy and makes it ABUNDANTLY clear to anyone paying attention how much they valued Hank and the other vets.
  • There is currently no other player as important to both the short term as well as the long term well being of this franchise as Bo Horvat and management's butchery of the team over the last few years has all but guaranteed this scenario.
Bo knows his value to this team and so does Bo's agent.

If I were Bo's agent, with 9.3M in cap space left, I'd be asking for at LEAST 6 of that... or maybe even higher considering the Sedin's salaries come off the books next season.

Bo doesn't owe the Canucks diddly squat right now and loyalty? Incompetent fools don't engender loyalty.

Cynical? Not at all. If you paid attention the last couple years you would have seen how unhappy our vets were and nothing's changed aside from Hansen and Burr no longer with the team.

edit.

**** yo. If 24 point Eriksson can get a 6x6 contract out of these fools, then if I'm Bo, that's where I'm starting my negotiations.

Pretty much this.

It also wouldn't surprise me at all if the Canucks were only offering $3-4M. My guess is they probably still see him as a 3rd line defensive C so why would they give him a big contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad