Proposal: Boeser to NYI

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
They don’t play the same side for crying out loud

And we just drafted two nicely regarded defenders

What the heck has Bolduc done to warrant untouchable status?
not untouchable, but you want to trade him and a beau and a pick for a player coming off a hip injury? Seriously? Sorry not happening. The 2 we drafted are offensive players hopefully. Bolduc is a nice combo of size and possible offense. Boeser is not the answer...not at that cost. Right now he's a negative valve to Van....

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I appreciate the proposal, BUT no Thanks as an Islander fan living on Vancouver Island I have followed the Canucks rather closely and Boeser has not been the same player since his rookie season - I know he has had some challenges - his injury and the loss of his father, but it is starting to feel like he'll never regain that form.

And to be honest, like the Canucks, the Isles need to get faster, not slower. I'd be up for a Garland for Beauvillier trade.
Come on, ANOTHER scrappy winger? Give me one lousy SHOOTER! He had 23 goals last year, he’s not washed up. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . .

not untouchable, but you want to trade him and a beau and a pick for a player coming off a hip injury? Seriously? Sorry not happening.
Sorry Lou, didn’t recognize you with your clothes on

We’re 2-4 and every possible trade target gets s**t on here

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Come on, ANOTHER scrappy winger? Give me one lousy SHOOTER! He had 23 goals last year, he’s not washed up. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . .

The question is are you Lou in disguise. Going after damaged goods? How about we stop the madness and not go after the following type of players - overpriced, injury history, over the hill guys

We are 2-4 and we will not be any better with boeser. He's not a difference maker. We need about 3 of them

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The question is are you Lou in disguise. Going after damaged goods? How about we stop the madness and not go after the following type of players - overpriced, injury history, over the hill guys

We are 2-4 and we will not be any better with boeser. He's not a difference maker. We need about 3 of them
Go buy a team, I’d love to see how you run it

SI

Feb 16, 2013

You are going off the success of his first season - he is not the same player and the shot is not as deadly. Back injury might have been it - don't know, which is why Canuck fans are pitching his name out there.

Garland shoots A LOT! And he adds speed, grit, feistiness, and skill much stronger hockey player than Boeser, IMO.

If you want a player from the Canucks, who is not Boeser or Garland, then target Horvat! Excellent C, a two-way player, excels on the PP, and is still young - allows the team to move Nelson to wing or trade Nelson in a hockey trade for a winger.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Not trading Bolduc...With Mayfield most likely leaving he's a nice young piece I want to hang no to.
Bolduc was brought up due to another fan saying no to dealing picks, move prospects instead. I'd be fine with 2023 2nd or Bolduc + 24 3rd
They don’t play the same side for crying out loud

And we just drafted two nicely regarded defenders

What the heck has Bolduc done to warrant untouchable status?
Honestly I’d prefer bolduc but only because he’s huge at 6’4 220lbs and the Canucks lack size especially on the backend. From what I’ve read he actually uses his size to be physical

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Bolduc was brought up due to another fan saying no to dealing picks, move prospects instead. I'd be fine with 2023 2nd or Bolduc + 24 3rd
Honestly I’d prefer bolduc but only because he’s huge at 6’4 220lbs and the Canucks lack size especially on the backend. From what I’ve read he actually uses his size to be physical

Isles are built on defense, Bolduc is a keeper to me because of the size and physical presence, plus he's got a really nice shot. Perfect fit for us.

To me, Boeser isn't the answer for us. Not coming off a hip injury and his stats have gone down yearly.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
And he signed those 2 forwards to contracts that are 1 year too long and $1M too rich. Meanwhile they continue to underperform and Lou then doubles down on Mat Barzal and he underperforms as well. So we’d better keep some picks to grow our own talent since we’re still not a free agent destination and in 2 years we’ll finally have Bailey and Beauvillier drop off the books.

I hope you enjoyed the deepest run we’ve had since 1984 because I don’t see another one with the vets we have today.
Amen brother.

The Pageau deal paid short term dividends. I didn’t hate it once he signed an extension but with the benefit of hindsight it’s hurting us now and even more so in the future. Multiply that by 2 for Palmieri.

We need to draft like the NY Jets did this past year. That can’t be done if the high value picks have mostly been traded away. It’s been repeated by many and it’s obvious but we all know the UFAs aren’t signing here.

Reactions: MJF

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
You are going off the success of his first season - he is not the same player and the shot is not as deadly. Back injury might have been it - don't know, which is why Canuck fans are pitching his name out there.

Garland shoots A LOT! And he adds speed, grit, feistiness, and skill much stronger hockey player than Boeser, IMO.

If you want a player from the Canucks, who is not Boeser or Garland, then target Horvat! Excellent C, a two-way player, excels on the PP, and is still young - allows the team to move Nelson to wing or trade Nelson in a hockey trade for a winger.
Hate to break it to you but horvat being a 2 way player is a myth created by the media. He’s barely better than jt miller defensively.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Its pretty average. He's not fast or agile. He makes up for it by being pretty good in board battles
Thanks for the info on Boeser's skating. For me he would not be worth the assets to acquire and the cap space since the Isles need speed on the wing. And Dufour in the pipeline might bring some of the same attributes as Boeser. I'd rather spend the assets/cap space on a more dynamic talent.

Reactions: SI

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
No first-rounder. Absolutely no Raty going away in any deals. And I'm fine with the previous deals LL made in the context of why each deal was made. But the well has run dry with any future picks. I like Boeser but this needs to be a Beau-type player and a lower pick. I'd give up the 2nd but want a 3rd back

• Love
Reactions: Mike C

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Isles def need to restock the cupboard somewhat. I am also not confident the first round pick is going to be super late this season. Would like to see this team start drafting in the first round again.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
And he signed those 2 forwards to contracts that are 1 year too long and $1M too rich. Meanwhile they continue to underperform and Lou then doubles down on Mat Barzal and he underperforms as well. So we’d better keep some picks to grow our own talent since we’re still not a free agent destination and in 2 years we’ll finally have Bailey and Beauvillier drop off the books.

I hope you enjoyed the deepest run we’ve had since 1984 because I don’t see another one with the vets we have today.
I don’t mind that Lou traded those picks to go for it. I did enjoy those runs, it was nice to see a team that had momentum to go deep, too bad the team couldn’t find it in them to score some goals to get over the hump vs TB. Usually when teams face this, they acquire more veterans vs youth, so Lou was not out of character there.

The extra cash and term for UFAs seems like something the Isles have to do to acquire UFAs - happened under Snow too so it’s not limited to Lou. It’s going to cause pain if/when (and now) the player is underperforming on that deal. Absent over paying, Isles are getting scrubs on 1/2year deals as stop gaps to nowhere. Fans will complain all the way on that journey too.

I’m not the biggest Pulock fan and certainly Pulock at his current price tag is a LOT of coin/cap, but again, he’s underperforming. Lou invested in him and he hasn’t returned that in production. If he’s gonna be weak on the offense, then he’s a $4M player.

Yeah, the Barzal deal is gonna be an issue in the not too distant future. Change the GM, coach, and even give him Brett Hull and he ain’t gonna be the savior Isles fans are looking for. He’s a difficult player to play with and he refuses to alter his game for his teammates. Hence, it’s better the Isles move on and get a North/South player and let another team deal with HIS issues. I mentioned Horvat bc his flaws are less impactful, he shoots the puck, and for a simple game plan like the Isles,
N/S player is way better than a zig, zag, curl, pass.

On the picks, no need to flip any unless some magic happens before Feb.

Right now, how is this team playing any different than the road trip start last year? Underwhelming in both.

Reactions: MJF

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Nope, he's basically our only potential center prospect

Beau and Bellows if no picks

Bailey and a 2nd if a pick is necessary. The cost of the 2nd means you have to take the older player. If you decide not to sign him after next year, he'd be an attractive trade chip at the 2023 trade deadline to a contender who wants a proven playoff producer. He's just too similar to a number of our forwards right now and if you need a responsible two-way wing who will give you about 45 points, mostly assists, he would fit well with you. We need the goal scorer.

Beau and Iskhakov and Durandeau if you want two prospects who could grow into potential Bottom 6 forwards

I'm higher on Boeser than many of the Isles fan base.
Agree with all of this except Iskhakov. He is so young and played in a men’s league and is producing very well at bpt already, we have no idea what he is. Could be a gem… is he movable of course, but he isn’t a sweetener as of now

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
We need to draft like the NY Jets did this past year. That can’t be done if the high value picks have mostly been traded away. It’s been repeated by many and it’s obvious but we all know the UFAs aren’t signing here.
Pretty unlikely. There is way more opportunity, and way more information for the NFL draft than any other. Busts can + do happen at QB, and other positions due to injury. But misses really are inexcusable. Drafting 17/18 yo playing at different levels in different places is an order of magnitude more difficult.

I mean, look at Hall - now injured. Jets knew he was fast as heck, run routes, catch passes, and rush really well against good college competition. The worst case scenarios are (i) injury, and (ii) he's a complimentary back. But you can't get a total bust with that information. No team in the last NHL draft had that kind of info/confidence about any pick.

Reactions: The Real JT

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Pretty unlikely. There is way more opportunity, and way more information for the NFL draft than any other. Busts can + do happen at QB, and other positions due to injury. But misses really are inexcusable. Drafting 17/18 yo playing at different levels in different places is an order of magnitude more difficult.

I mean, look at Hall - now injured. Jets knew he was fast as heck, run routes, catch passes, and rush really well against good college competition. The worst case scenarios are (i) injury, and (ii) he's a complimentary back. But you can't get a total bust with that information. No team in the last NHL draft had that kind of info/confidence about any pick.
I pretty much agree with the substance of your post so I say the following somewhat sarcastically as a long suffering Jets’ fan.

Yes some of these picks were a long time ago but do you remember these more recent ones?
Dewayne Robertson
Dee Milliner
Vernon Gholston

Going back further when perhaps scouting was less of a science:
Blair Thomas
Johnny Lam Jones
Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp
Ken O’Brien over Dan Marino

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I actually like Boeser as a player and person, but if I was the GM of the New York Islanders (which I’m not but should be), he wouldn’t really tickle my gizzard because he’s not a ‘+’ skater.

He reminds me of Vanek…this team needs wingers who can skate with the puck and excel in zone entries. That will take pressure off of guys like Barzal and Nelson.

I’d rather try and poach Garland while his value is down because he plays like a bulldog and has that right handed shot that Eberle has.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I pretty much agree with the substance of your post so I say the following somewhat sarcastically as a long suffering Jets’ fan.

Yes some of these picks were a long time ago but do you remember these more recent ones?
Dewayne Robertson
Dee Milliner
Vernon Gholston

Going back further when perhaps scouting was less of a science:
Blair Thomas
Johnny Lam Jones
Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp
Ken O’Brien over Dan Marino
Oh I know. Many of those + more were inexcusable.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I’d honestly be as opposed to trading Beau as I would be to trading more 1st rounders. Youth and speed is something we should be looking to hold onto up front. I’d much rather look to deal from a position of strength and see what I could get for Pulock. I know everyone writes Mayfield off as all but gone next year, but if you deal Pulock you should be able to lock him up. Bring in a more offensive PMD type to hold down the 3rd pairing with Salo. Romanov-Mayfield can be our bruising 2nd pairing and Pelech-Dobson can be the top pairing we build around long term.

That said I’d probably stand pat for a while. See what we are at the midway point. If we’re legit, I’d be less opposed to moving our 1st as long as it’s for a Kane type - a true game breaker. If we’re not, then we can look to sell off some assets like Mayfield and Varly. Try to make sure we end up getting one of the big-5 in this draft. Restock the system and try to solve that hole on Barzal’s wing next offseason.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I’d honestly be as opposed to trading Beau as I would be to trading more 1st rounders. Youth and speed is something we should be looking to hold onto up front. I’d much rather look to deal from a position of strength and see what I could get for Pulock. I know everyone writes Mayfield off as all but gone next year, but if you deal Pulock you should be able to lock him up. Bring in a more offensive PMD type to hold down the 3rd pairing with Salo. Romanov-Mayfield can be our bruising 2nd pairing and Pelech-Dobson can be the top pairing we build around long term.

That said I’d probably stand pat for a while. See what we are at the midway point. If we’re legit, I’d be less opposed to moving our 1st as long as it’s for a Kane type - a true game breaker. If we’re not, then we can look to sell off some assets like Mayfield and Varly. Try to make sure we end up getting one of the big-5 in this draft. Restock the system and try to solve that hole on Barzal’s wing next offseason.
If the Isles can resign Mayfield at $4.5M, then I would trade Pulock for help up front. Pulock pairs very well with Pelech, but Pelech is doing most of the work on that pair. Isles can replace that spot with another d-man like a Brendan Dillon type or heck, Klingberg is gonna be desperate for a long term deal - maybe 4years in an attempt to make up for his agent botching his UFA.

Pulock was paid to produce offensively and it’s apparent that while he has a hard shot, he misses the net too much killing momentum and keeping the puck down low, doesn’t shoot enough, and his wind up is slow. Dobson is smooth and looks to get the shot on net and a majority of the time he does, no matter the velocity he’s getting it on net to keep the play in front of the G where a F can do the rest of the work.

He’s not going anywhere though, he fits Lou’s mold, he does play well defensively, and has a NTC. I just don’t see how his performance is really going to match his contract that should be in the 15G 40/50A range in this era at a minimum.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
If the Isles can resign Mayfield at $4.5M, then I would trade Pulock for help up front. Pulock pairs very well with Pelech, but Pelech is doing most of the work on that pair. Isles can replace that spot with another d-man like a Brendan Dillon type or heck, Klingberg is gonna be desperate for a long term deal - maybe 4years in an attempt to make up for his agent botching his UFA.

Pulock was paid to produce offensively and it’s apparent that while he has a hard shot, he misses the net too much killing momentum and keeping the puck down low, doesn’t shoot enough, and his wind up is slow. Dobson is smooth and looks to get the shot on net and a majority of the time he does, no matter the velocity he’s getting it on net to keep the play in front of the G where a F can do the rest of the work.

He’s not going anywhere though, he fits Lou’s mold, he does play well defensively, and has a NTC. I just don’t see how his performance is really going to match his contract that should be in the 15G 40/50A range in this era at a minimum.

If Pulock were putting up those types of numbers, he'd easily be an $8-9M level defender and a guy we wouldn't even consider trading. I think he's paid appropriately for what he brings. The fact though that we have Dobson and Mayfield is really the only reason we ever even discuss the possibility of dealing this guy. Dobson is going nowhere and Mayfield, while valuable, doesn't carry nearly the same value as Pulock. Mayfield could maybe bring back a 1st, but not a 1st line sniper. Pulock could potentially do that.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
If Pulock were putting up those types of numbers, he'd easily be an $8-9M level defender and a guy we wouldn't even consider trading. I think he's paid appropriately for what he brings. The fact though that we have Dobson and Mayfield is really the only reason we ever even discuss the possibility of dealing this guy. Dobson is going nowhere and Mayfield, while valuable, doesn't carry nearly the same value as Pulock. Mayfield could maybe bring back a 1st, but not a 1st line sniper. Pulock could potentially do that.
He wasn’t signed under this speedier, more open offensive era. He was signed just before it and the realization that this is the game now, ie last season. The bubble and shortened season were still indicative of the ‘older’ ‘new’ NHL that he was better suited for and should still produce at at 15/35/40 clip. Now, the stakes are higher and he’s not gonna be able to do it.

The cap squeezed out a lot of dead weight, placed an emphasis on cheaper, youth, and long term deals earlier in time, which tilted things towards speed, but also more mistakes, which results in more scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad