Confirmed with Link: Bobby Ryan being bought out

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The issue here is that to reach the floor, that second line would have to sign for ~15M. Do you want to commit that kind of money to them long term? One year from UFA for all three I believe, so would you risk one year?

I still believe the team has it in the budget to get one more top 6 forward or upgrade that D.
It's likely they sign a couple of UFAs that could bring up the salaries. Someone else mentioned of it would be cheaper for EM to not make the floor & pay the penalty which would be really weird so who knows. It's also why I was surprised they bought Ryan out without having some plan in place to get to the floor. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Bobby said his first choice would be Flyers if call him

Konecny-Hayes-Ryan could be a good line I think but the problem is the Flyers are already too slow. They need to acquire fast players.

Usually players who just got bought out sign a very friendly deal so it could be good for a team that needs a stop gap veteran winger that can produce some offense and relieve pressure on the younger guys, a 6th-7th guy in your arsenal. If Ryan scores 40-50 pts for 2 M$ while providing a good vibe in the locker room, you're very happy.

Look at Shattenkirk, gets bought out, wins a Cup, 34 pts in 70 GP this season, 13 pts in 25 GP in the Playoffs. All that for 1.75 M$

Look at Sekera, gets bought out and reaches the SCF. Didn't really produce offense but can still take a shift and provided good depth on Dallas squad. Only cost 1.5 M$

Ennis and Perry are the 2 other recent examples

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Konecny-Hayes-Ryan could be a good line I think but the problem is the Flyers are already too slow. They need to acquire fast players.

Usually players who just got bought out sign a very friendly deal so it could be good for a team that needs a stop gap veteran winger that can produce some offense and relieve pressure on the younger guys, a 6th-7th guy in your arsenal. If Ryan scores 40-50 pts for 2 M$ while providing a good vibe in the locker room, you're very happy.

Look at Shattenkirk, gets bought out, wins a Cup, 34 pts in 70 GP this season, 13 pts in 25 GP in the Playoffs. All that for 1.75 M$

Look at Sekera, gets bought out and reaches the SCF. Didn't really produce offense but can still take a shift and provided good depth on Dallas squad. Only cost 1.5 M$

Ennis and Perry are the 2 other recent examples

I would not put Perry and Ennis in the same sentence... Perry plays his role in a team game. Ennis can play pond hockey and do it all himself which was somewhat valuable in driving offense last year but not a player I particularly want. He'd come in do his thing with the corsi and be gone at the deadline. Perry is way more meat and potatoes.

Reactions: GCK

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
It's likely they sign a couple of UFAs that could bring up the salaries. Someone else mentioned of it would be cheaper for EM to not make the floor & pay the penalty which would be really weird so who knows. It's also why I was surprised they bought Ryan out without having some plan in place to get to the floor. I guess we'll see soon enough.

I agree, but that means less spots for the up and comers. Realistically it makes sense to look at one year FA's (due to some raises required next year plus those up and comers cannot wait forever), but when you are offering one year deals to UFA's, its usually reclamation projects.

And as for the "fine", that may not be all. The fine is between 1-5M, but at the discretion of the commish the team can be fined draft picks, all games could be forfeited, and club employees (i.e. the GM) can be suspended. Given all that, I certainly think the team will make the floor, and as such some younger players may not get a chance this year. but this whole floor conversation goes away next year when Tkachuk gets a raise, although it only helps so much as its likely only a 2M gain between losing Gaborik LTIR and the raise.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I would not put Perry and Ennis in the same sentence... Perry plays his role in a team game. Ennis can play pond hockey and do it all himself which was somewhat valuable in driving offense last year but not a player I particularly want. He'd come in do his thing with the corsi and be gone at the deadline. Perry is way more meat and potatoes.

I was strictly talking about guys that got recently bought out and that were bargains because they signed for cheap just after being bought out. Perry was signed at 1.5 and Ennis at 0.8... They didn't need to do anything extraordinary to give a good return on the dollar.

You'd have to be worse than Scott Sabourin to not be worth 800 K$ in today's NHL.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Bobby Ryan was on NHL on XM today and confirmed he got a call from Dorion to give him the news that he was being bought out. The call was made before any news came out. So that settles that.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Bobby Ryan was on NHL on XM today and confirmed he got a call from Dorion to give him the news that he was being bought out. The call was made before any news came out. So that settles that.
I thought that's the way it's always done?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

That was clear from the get go....the first quote i read from Bobby he said that. Can't remember which publication but the first quotes i read from Bobby he said he got the call at 730 in the morning

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
That was clear from the get go....the first quote i read from Bobby he said that. Can't remember which publication but the first quotes i read from Bobby he said he got the call at 730 in the morning

Collect call to save on long distance charges

Reactions: InAbsensia

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yup. But the usual crew around here were convinced that Bobby saying the news came as a bit of a shock clearly meant Dorion didn’t let Bobby or his agent know.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yup. But the usual crew around here were convinced that Bobby saying the news came as a bit of a shock clearly meant Dorion didn’t let Bobby or his agent know.

Ya well, you just need to fine tune your hf sens noise filter

He said both in the first quotes i read

I would have liked to keep him, I've always liked him and he's highly skilled. That said, i was shocked we spent the money to buy him out.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Usual crew?? Common GCK, baiting/trolling isn't your schtick.

Dorion didn't let BR or his agent know until the morning that the buyout happened, we all know that. I don't think anyone disputed that. (Hopefully I didn't..lol)

Letting him and his agent know a few hours before it was announced doesn't change much, still a dirt bag move regardless.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Usual crew?? Common GCK, baiting/trolling isn't your schtick.

Dorion didn't let BR or his agent know until the morning that the buyout happened, we all know that. I don't think anyone disputed that. (Hopefully I didn't..lol)

Letting him and his agent know a few hours before it was announced doesn't change much, still a dirt bag move regardless.
There were 5 or 6 posters saying how any other org would have given the player or agent a heads up.

How is it a dirt bag move to call a player directly (not the agent) and tell him they have made the decision to buy him out. Are you saying they should have waited 3 days before putting him on waivers ?

Reactions: Sweatred

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
For the life of me I can’t find the posts I remember. God I hope I’m not having HFSens dreams. I may need a break.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There were 5 or 6 posters saying how any other org would have given the player or agent a heads up.

How is it a dirt bag move to call a player directly (not the agent) and tell him they have made the decision to buy him out. Are you saying they should have waited 3 days before putting him on waivers ?

I think the prevailing thought was the decision to buy him out was likely made long before the 1st day of the buyout window, and the team could have given him or his agent a heads up before the day of.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think the prevailing thought was the decision to buy him out was likely made long before the 1st day of the buyout window, and the team could have given him or his agent a heads up before the day of.
Okay but I doubt that the decision was finalized before late Thursday. Either way I’m bailing on this because it’s not important and I may in fact be misremembering the responses. Sorry to bring it back up. Back to my mock.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Okay but I doubt that the decision was finalized before late Thursday. Either way I’m bailing on this because it’s not important and I may in fact be misremembering the responses. Sorry to bring it back up. Back to my mock.

Basically some people have their own set of standards as to what is "respectful" and what is not. Some might say they should have told him a day before, some might say a week, some might say Dorion is a dirtbag for not letting Ryan know back in March that he was going to be bought out ... even if Dorion himself did not know it either.

Reactions: Sweatred

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
They were probably exploring some other moves. tried to find a way to keep him that would still make the cap as low as possible. In the end it didn't surprise him

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Basically some people have their own set of standards as to what is "respectful" and what is not. Some might say they should have told him a day before, some might say a week, some might say Dorion is a dirtbag for not letting Ryan know back in March that he was going to be bought out ... even if Dorion himself did not know it either.
Maybe melnyk told him the night before? maybe it was up to Dohrion(i doubt it)

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
All this “timing of phone call”crap assumes Ryan wasn’t happy with the news. There is no reason to believe he wasn’t relieved or even elated about being bought out.

He’s trained to not say things like “I’m so glad I’m getting paid without having to play hockey in Ottawa”. Or “I wish they bought me out last year”.

I could handle handle a phone call from my employer saying they are paying me for the rest of my life but I’m free to find something else to do.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Yeah. this is fine. Dorion paid for Murray's impulsive buy-in after Alfie bolted and the team paid for it with mediocre play. Wish him absolutely the best but quite happy to let someone else take that RW spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad