Value of: Bobby Ryan (40% ret) and Ottawa 1st from NYR

SenatorFrank

Jan 8, 2014
Ottawa
Just not at 7.5 million. Same problem with Rick Nash. Great secondary two way goal scorer, but just paid way too much on this current deal.

I also don't think Ryan is a good enough player defensively to be a good bottom-6 option. That's just my opinion though.

However if Staal is going the other way the salary cap aspect can work.

Ya that's a fair comparison, though I think Nash offers more than he does not to mention he doesn't miss games like Ryan does. I think he's best suited to play on a scoring third line. But as you mentioned is salary doesn't exactly translate.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Avs should take Ryan for Ott's 2019 1st and removal of the conditions on the 2018 1st.
Ryan must agree to waive his NMC (for expansion draft only)

Ryan's NMC is already not enforceable in expansion drafts. He did not have to waive for Ottawa to expose him. The NMC for whatever reason was a modified one written in a way that makes it so that it only pertains to Ryan being sent to the minors.

So long as we do not win a top 3 pick in the lottery, I would do what you outlined in the OP if Karlsson is willing to extend in Ottawa. But, I think value ways, it's skewed against COL. I'd be surprised if a team was willing to take Ryan that cheap.

Giving up let's say 5th overall in exchange for 2019 OTT 1st+COL taking Bobby Ryan is unfortunately great value for Ottawa which feels odd to say when you're talking about giving up a top 5 pick.

I would expect it to cost us one of our best pieces with nothing coming back, whether that's our pick as one of the top picks in the draft, Thomas Chabot, etc. At that point, so long as the offers for Karlsson are strong, I think we're better off just bundling Ryan with Karlsson and re-tooling/rebuilding because I don't we can compete with Karlsson @ market value, and Ryan+Gaborik+Phaneuf+Mac as dead money under a 68M budget.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Ya that's a fair comparison, though I think Nash offers more than he does not to mention he doesn't miss games like Ryan does. I think he's best suited to play on a scoring third line. But as you mentioned is salary doesn't exactly translate.

Yeah, to me, ideally you'd like Ryan to be a 2nd line winger but if he's on your 3rd with some good defensive forwards he can get by.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Personally I think it’s loopy that folks want both retention and Ottawa’s 1st.
Personally I think it’s loopy that folks want both retention and Ottawa’s 1st.

They're like vulture's... seriously. Trying to pry Karlsson, Ryan retained and our first because they know our owners a cheap ass. We would never do the mentioned deal though, EM wont retain on Ryan.

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
In general, contracts seem to be worth 100k per point for these type of players. At his 7.25mil x year, Ryan never was even close to deserving that contact. Pure poison. Dude is worth around 3.5 mil a year based on his production. Nobody wants this guy nor do I see him improving much. Decline from here.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Are you talking about Andersson? They didn't go "waaay" off the board to draft him at all, and post-draft he's proven to be further ahead than a lot of the picks around him.

That deal would be Andersson (7OA) + ~30OA for 5OA and a godawful contract. No thanks.

I think he means Chytil actually.

Walter t

Mar 12, 2018
What about this. Start with Ryan to the Rangers for Smith. That seems like a win for the Sens as they save lots of money. But adding a 1st rd pick is too much, especially a top 5. How about a swap of the Sens pick at say #4 and the Rangers at #10. Or maybe the pick Ott gets from Pitt is 5 or 6 better than one of the Rangers late picks, and you swap those. Or just the Sens 3rd pick?

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
What matters most to Melnyk, the cap budget or putting 14-15 mil in his Pocket? We have to ask ourselves would a guy like Melnyk let a 5OA get in his way of saving that money?
Brutal proposal for the Sens. Last time I checked Dorion was the GM, not Melnyk.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
I don't understand why in ottawas sense they are in the start of a rebuild so why give up assets to rid yourself of a contract when that said contract can help you tank

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
bobby ryan at 60 percent is a 4.35 million cap hit
brendan smith also has a 4.35 million dollar cap hit when he's in the nhl
4.35+4.35=8.7
sidney crosby has a cap hit of 8.7 million dollars
therefore, brendan smith + bobby ryan = sidney crosby

/thread

giphy.gif

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Is the owner that cheap that he would give away their highest lottery pick in years to get rid of a bad contract? Why not just buyout Ryan?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Ottawa retains 3 mil, Ryan is tradeable without adding any incentive. Or retain 2 mil and add something a lot less than 5 OA.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Kings would trade for Ryan at 40% retained without the first.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The good thing about Ryan cap wise is he is often injured. Sens are just going to have to live with his bad contract. No use just trading bad contracts or giving up picks to move him.
Are the Rangers the "home" of bad contracts? Girardi is retained at 2.6m, Staal makes 5.7m, Smith 4.35m and Belesky, Even Lundqvist at 8.5m is too high. Can't see the Rangers being saddled with another poor value player.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
40% retention is huge. Adding that pick to eat the rest isn't worth it for the sens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad