Value of: Bobby Ryan (40% ret) and Ottawa 1st from NYR

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What about:

Bobby Ryan (at full contract) + Alex Burrows + Clarke MacArthur (LTIR, Rangers assume the real dollars owed) + OTT 1st '18

for

Brendan Smith
Matt Beleskey

Salary cap wise:
Year 1
$7.25m + $2.5m + $0m for $4.35m + $1.9m = Net -$3.5m in favor of OTT

Year 2
$7.25m + $0m for $4.35m + $1.9m = Net -$1m in favor of OTT

Year 3
$7.25m for $4.35m = Net -$2.9m in favor of OTT

Year 4
$7.25m for $0m = Net -$7.25m in favor of OTT

Real Dollars:
Year 1
$7.5m + $2.5m + 0.9m = $4.525m + $2m = Net -$4.375m in favor of OTT

Year 2
$7.5m + 0.9m = $4.525m + $1.5m = Net -$2.375m in favor of OTT

Year 3
$7.5m = $3.35m = Net -$4.15m in favor of OTT

Year 4
$7.5m = $0m = Net -$7.5m in favor of OTT

Ottawa saves $18.4m in real $$ over the lengths of all of the contracts. This also assumes that the smaller contracts of Smith and Beleskey aren't eventually swapped elsewhere for further cap savings.

You could probably simplify it and remove Burrows and Beleskey and Ottawa saves even more real $$

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Teams out of the playoffs do not/should not spend high draft picks to unload contracts. It makes no sense. They just end up digging a deeper hole. Cap space is only valuable if you can use it to improve your team significantly or to resign your own free agents that need raises.

Think about it. What type of player are you getting for that 4.5 million a 40-50 point player at best, which is what bobby ryan is right now. So basically give away a 1st to basically make a lateral move. Not smart.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Ryan at 5M plus a 2nd is more realistic, although still seems high. OPs offer is really reaching.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Brouwer and CGY 1st (if they somehow get it back) for Jeremy Lauzon
Lol I know that you are joking and trying to be obtuse, but if you changed lauzon to an equivalent prospect to Kylington (Harpur or maybe Ville Pokka? more likely Harpur) I would definitely make this trade post draft lottery. Brouwer is a f***ing anchor and Ryan is way worse. Those type of contracts hurt a team pretty bad.

If we got rid of brouwer we would be in good territory to throw a huge contract at tavares.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Lol I know that you are joking and trying to be obtuse, but if you changed lauzon to an equivalent prospect to Kylington (Harpur or maybe Ville Pokka? more likely Harpur) I would definitely make this trade post draft lottery. Brouwer is a ****ing anchor and Ryan is way worse. Those type of contracts hurt a team pretty bad.

If we got rid of brouwer we would be in good territory to throw a huge contract at tavares.
Lauzon is easily a better prospect than either of those guys IMO.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Avs should take Ryan for Ott's 2019 1st and removal of the conditions on the 2018 1st.
Ryan must agree to waive his NMC (for expansion draft only)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Ryan @ 50% + sens 2nd rd pick for an expiring dump could work

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Melnyk is super cheap.... so a cost controlled asset for the next 4 years is worth even more than you can imagine

Ya super cheap, look how little he payed Ryan........
Murray long term killed the sens not the owner

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Assuming Ottawa has 5OA after lottery, what does it take from the NYR?

Not worth giving up a top-five pick for Ryan at almost 50% retention.

Also doubt the Senators are looking to move that pick at all if it falls that high since it will be their highest pick in a very long time (I'm thinking Spezza in 01, but I could be blanking on someone else).

what’s the status on Clarke’s LTIR. Is he done for good or temporary? If NYR take on that cost, it puts 7.5+ mil back into Melnyks pocket. Would the 5OA stop Melnyk from reaching for the cash?

This is the wrong currency to the OP objective, ie OTT 2018 1st.

That pick has a certain value.
Conceivably, NY can buy it, although it remains to be seen if that is worth it.
I say that not insulting Sens fans, I'm coming from at some pt there is too much on the table to say no to. But again, if that is too much, NY does not go there; it only happens IF there is a middle ground, which remains to be seen.

Yes, the Ryan albatross contract is clearly negative value, and removing the negative is undeniably a positive to Ottawa, and esp for Melnyk.

That said, NY should try another approach, a hockey trade, not a $ trade here. The salary is bad but doable; the term however is not. This is not taking on 1 yr of Spezza or something like that. This is 7m+ for multiple years. Even with a buyout, there is cap hit. This approach is too constricting.

Unless I knew for certain we could amnesty buyout w/no residual cap hit and it would ONLY cost $, I would stay away. Even then, not for nothing, we are not doing anybody this kind of favor without ample return.

IMO both sides off
NY wants more than top 5 pick as only compensation for multiyear bad $
Sens prefer to retain as internal assets to the hit the floor than pay to move the contract.

no deal here

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh, Ryan when healthy is pretty good...His hand/fingers have been broken 4 times in the last 2 seasons....Why should we trade someone that is good when healthy,and is a likely candidate to be on LTIR sooner than later???

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Ryan still has value at 60%.
What was the name of that prospect NYR went waaay off the board to draft?
Probably him + Tampa's 1st for Ryan @60% + 5th OA

Are you talking about Andersson? They didn't go "waaay" off the board to draft him at all, and post-draft he's proven to be further ahead than a lot of the picks around him.

That deal would be Andersson (7OA) + ~30OA for 5OA and a godawful contract. No thanks.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
He's just never healthy! Even still if he can contribute 30-40 points in a season that's worth something...

Secondary scoring has value.

Just not at 7.5 million. Same problem with Rick Nash. Great secondary two way goal scorer, but just paid way too much on this current deal.

I also don't think Ryan is a good enough player defensively to be a good bottom-6 option. That's just my opinion though.

However if Staal is going the other way the salary cap aspect can work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad