TSN: Bob McKenzie's Top-100 Draft Ranking (According to Scouts He's Polled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I'm ready for any player they draft. The way I see it;

Wright - Will not be surprised and happy with the pick
Cooley - Pleasantly surprised and happy with the pick
Slafkovsky - Will not be happy with the pick, but will get behind him just like I did with KK.

The only thing I don't want is another bust with our high pick.
After all the work and resources our hockey ops put into this, I just want them to pick the player who is #1 on their list as the best player over the long haul. I don't want them to cave to PR. This pick is too important.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Makes me wonder if the draft wasn’t held in Montreal, would Hughes have been inclined to trade down.

Or trade the pick outright for young talent

I really hope something as arbitrary as the location of the draft doesn't factor in to our long term team building strategy, but I do understand the optics of it.

In terms of trading the pick for young talent, I think we're too early in the rebuild to try to accelerate things. Any established young talent in the NHL will likely be at least 22/23 and we will have fewer years of cost control. And I'm not sure teams who have said young talent would want to trade it for a pick as that would likely signal taking a step back. Do you have anyone in particular in mind that would be a fair(ish) 1-1 swap for the 1st OA? I can't find a good fit.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
It’s not that Slaf sucks, it’s more simple: if he’s so complete and perfect why weren’t his stats better? How can he have high IQ, superior stick, perfect physique, terrific skating, and lots of nifty tools (I am paraphrasing that scout from the devil’s blog video) and not produce more than c. 0.35 PPG?
I read that he had work to do on his skating.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Anyone think they should take a chance on that Russian kid recovering from non Hodgkins lymphoma if he slips late first round or early second? I heard he recovered but who knows what's going to happen with Russia in the coming years. I think they're deep enough to take a swing at him.
Rumor is he is attending the draft. If he's there and agrees to go the CHL when healthy I'd roll the dice.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
...Technical Ecstasy is a ridiculously underrated album, imo...
Yep, I put it off forever and was taken aback by how solid it is compared to what’s been written about it and knowing the stories behind it. Still not in the upper echelon, but that’s a high standard they set with all the albums proceeding it.

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I see Kulich jumped way up. I thought he was goal scoring machine in U18. Was hoping he would be there at 26
He’d be a great fit if we could find a way to move up for him. Love Kulich. Somehow leaving with Wright, Kulich, and one of Mateychuk/Hutson would be the dream scenario for me.

Reactions: Saxon

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Yep, I put it off forever and was taken aback by how solid it is compared to what’s been written about it and knowing the stories behind it. Still not in the upper echelon, but that’s a high standard they set with all the albums proceeding it.

...soo true, amigo...when your first 4 albums are historic level, it's a hard peak to continuously conquer...:thumbu:

...anyway, how about that Shane Wright kid!?!...:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: FloJack

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I read that he had work to do on his skating.
The analyses on skating and D seem a bit odd comparing Slafkofsky to Wright. Wright is known for his defense and is one of the top skaters, not far behind Savoie and Cooley. Slafkofsky has lots of stuff going for him but I didn't think he was particularly know for either, more "good for a big guy" and "good for a mostly offensive forward." I don't get the latest head to head comparisons going around that give Slaf the edge in both.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Why didn’t he, or couldn’t he, apply his god given skills to produce more in Liiga?

Once again you never answer this: your effusive praise of the player in all facets and aspects belies the empirical evidence we have before us. There were thirty some odd games where he did not produce a single point. Why is that?

Either he isn’t as complete (mentally, physically, etc) as you and others keep insisting he is or it is truly irrelevant that a 1OA, who will be an NHLer in a few months, couldn’t produce against Liiga opposition.

I’m willing to be more open minded about Slaf if someone can convince that his very low Liiga production is truly irrelevant.

It’s not that Slaf sucks, it’s more simple: if he’s so complete and perfect why weren’t his stats better? How can he have high IQ, superior stick, perfect physique, terrific skating, and lots of nifty tools (I am paraphrasing that scout from the devil’s blog video) and not produce more than c. 0.35 PPG?
I second these questions. If Slav is such a great player -- a legitimate 1st overall draft pick -- then why is it that he could not produce in LIIGA, which may be the 5th best league in the world at best behind the NHL, KHL, AHL, and SEL?

Comparison of D-1 years in Finland

Kotkaniemi, 29 points in 57 games
Sebastien Aho, 13 points in 30 games
Aleksander Barkov, 48 points in 53 games
Arturri Lehkonen, 30 points in 45 games
Rantanen 28 points in 56 games
Patrick Laine 33 points in 46 games
Teuvo Terevainen 18 points in 40 games

If Slafkovsky was on par with those players, he'd probably be the 4th or 5th best player in the draft, but his 10 points in 31 games is the worst performance of the above -- by a comfortable margin.

Last edited:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
:lol: have you been living on Venus this spring? Because that was one of the worst springs I've ever experienced in Montreal. We're July 3rd and I still pause before going out as to whether I should bring a coat in the evening.
Down in windsor we have had 2 weeks in the 30s. Humidity through the roof and hard to work in a shop in those conditions. Especially in "hurry it up to ship it out before the american holiday" mode :(

I don't mind the heat at all. But when its 26-32 and humid I hate it. Your "blueprints" feel moist to the touch.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Or trade the pick outright for young talent
Was debating that with some leaf fans today. Package up something and get a legit quality player with a prospect and picks, or whatever. Maybe even find a miracle way of moving gally and our 1st for a quality early 20s forward, preferably center or a number 1 dman. Maybe we move gally and our 1st for Sergechev and TBs first :laugh:

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
...soo true, amigo...when your first 4 albums are historic level, it's a hard peak to continuously conquer...:thumbu:

...anyway, how about that Shane Wright kid!?!...:laugh:
In my old age I reach for Sabotage the most, which I find interesting. Megalomania has almost become my favourite Sabbath song too. It’s a beautiful, paranoid prog dirge.

And yeah, Bob’s list or whatever. :nod:

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
In my old age I reach for Sabotage the most, which I find interesting. Megalomania has almost become my favourite Sabbath song too. It’s a beautiful, paranoid prog dirge.

And yeah, Bob’s list or whatever. :nod:

...as much as I luv them all, I still gotta go with Master of Reality when I'm in my younger days Heavy mood...Solitude is probably my most listened to song ever...dark, depressing, and absolutely magnificent...:thumbu:

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
...as much as I luv them all, I still gotta go with Master of Reality when I'm in my younger days Heavy mood...Solitude is probably my most listened to song ever...dark, depressing, and absolutely magnificent...:thumbu:
What can I say, that album rules, that song rules. Sandwiched between LOTW and Into The Void, with that nice little Orchid passage to start makes for one of the best side 2’s of vinyl you can hear imo. Not that side 1 doesn’t rule too.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
oap-old-man.gif

• Haha

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I second these questions. If Slav is such a great player -- a legitimate 1st overall draft pick -- then why is it that he could not produce in LIIGA, which may be the 5th best league in the world at best behind the NHL, KHL, AHL, and SEL?

Comparison of D-1 years in Finland

Kotkaniemi, 29 points in 57 games
Sebastien Aho, 13 points in 30 games
Aleksander Barkov, 48 points in 53 games
Arturri Lehkonen, 30 points in 45 games
Rantanen 28 points in 56 games
Patrick Laine 33 points in 46 games
Teuvo Terevainen 18 points in 40 games

If Slafkovsky was on par with those players, he'd probably be the 4th or 5th best player in the draft, but his 10 points in 31 games is the worst performance of the above -- by a comfortable margin.
Totally, I don’t know if Hugues is a risky guy, but clearly odds are against Slaf. And when you look how many players with 10 points in liiga became all stars in the NHL. How many did it? . You don’t find many guys, and hoping Slaf will become the next one is like saying : im gonna win 10millions at lotto 6/49 tommorrow. Stats isnt everything, but tournament either. Playing at olympics vs ahl level and producing against kazakstan at WC doesnt impress me at all. At least, he is not my first choice, cause I still consider slaf as a top 5 players

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Oh boy, you will see the difference of skills, offensive awarenessess and IQ quick enough if we draft him.
I've seen enough of him to know. He makes terrible mistakes frequently. Still love the prospect and have zero issue if we take him.

After all the work and resources our hockey ops put into this, I just want them to pick the player who is #1 on their list as the best player over the long haul. I don't want them to cave to PR. This pick is too important.
Hughes mentioned only Wright and Slaf months ago when talking about prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad