TSN: Bob McKenzie's Top-100 Draft Ranking (According to Scouts He's Polled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Southern Ontario.... and sweaters in the evening...🤬

...I'd rather sweaters 24/7 to the heat, meself...always hated the heat...why I live in Northern Nova Scotia, but now with the way weather is (damn Climate Change), it's messing me up bigtime...next move is to the Arctic Circle...at least then I'll just drown cuz of the melting ice caps...:laugh:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Depends what you compare it to. Against several past draft classes, definitely not. Our bad luck that we’re not in a better draft class this year.

Both Wright and Slaf are projected by several pundits to be 2nd liners so my expectations are low for both players, regardless of the positions they play.

I’m more concerned about the scouting contingent that was inherited from the prior regime and how competent Bobrov and Lapointe might be as the flaws of two already blemished top candidates, may be coated with an extra layer of uncertainty depending on how much say they have with HuGo on that 1OA.

My most comforting thought comes from how well Hughes did at the trading deadline. I’m hoping that’s an indication of how well they’ll do their due diligence now.
The good news is that Wright isn't going against previous or future draft, he just needs to be compared to players in this draft.

I personally never quite understood the need to compare previous draft years to the current year...like why does it matter that Wright isn't at the level of McDavid or Matthews or Power, etc.?

There's so much noise at draft time, so much over-analysis, I'll be happy when the pick is made, whoever it is.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
He clearly had a bias, likely to stir the pot and drum up sales for their "Black Book".

Some over the top terrible comparatives:

- Citing improvement from Slafkovsky during the season yet ignoring Wright's consistent increase in production through the year in favour of his 15 year old season vs an 11 game playoff sample. Thus using different models to reach his predetermined conclusion.
Wright went from a 1,45 PPG pace playing with the kids to a 1,70 PPG pace playing with guys like Chromiak, Wisdom, frasca, Edmonds ect. 1,7 was the very best he could offer in the 3rd tier of the season , do you think a such pace at the junior level is 1st OV worthy?
- Giving Slafkovsky the edge in skating because he is "a better skater for his size". That is nothing short of b.s. as Wright is quite easily the better skater of the two and by using this caveat he is tipping his bias once again.
Wrong, Wright has very good agility but his top speed is non existant in game play, he even admitted himself that he needed to work on his foot speed, whereas Slafkovsky uses it basically every shift and can really explode through the neutral zone, Slaf is a powerful skater and you are badly underrating that part of his game.
- Stating that Slafkovsky is and likely will continue to be the better defensive player.....that is such a blatant reach at nonsense that no real scout would agree with.
Slafkovsky competes hard on 200 ft. is pretty strong and relentless on pucks whereas Wright is not physically engaged, doesnt hustle much and rather weak on pucks. Scouching guy and HP are both pointing out how far he is from a center like Bergeron. Wright is smart, but his 200 ft. game flawed in term of workload at this point.
- Even going as far to negate the positional advantage for Wright by saying Slafkovsky may end up as a center without any evidence to support such a claim.
The guy thinks Slaf's IQ is high enough to play center, but specifies that his physical tools and boards work are possibly better suited for the winger position, which is an evidence to me. Cant see Slaf playing center, he is a power winger.
- Claiming that Wright was out of shape and could not keep up despite not having a shred of evidence to back up this unfounded accusation.
Wright was not playing with much energy, lacked pace and looked overall slow footed. Not sure what the issue was personally, but the added weight in the offseason was one hypothesis here.
- He never mentions Slaf having Tatar as a linemate in International games who is far superior to anything Wright had to work with.
1st, Slafkovsky was awarded MVP of the Olympics meanwhile Tatar was skating on NJ's third line. Secondly, Slaf was driving Slovakian's 2nd line at the WC for the 1st half of the competition where he still was getting pts and generating momentum, André Tourigny was quoted saying their 2nd line was their best one before promoting the kid on the top line. Thirdly, that was Thomas freaking Tatar who is on the line to retire and finish his carreer oversea vs top men competition including a couple of NHLers in the mix , Slaf still outproduced a bunch of them including some big names on team Canada. 4th, you are making it look like it was a Pee-wee CC level of competition when it was some of the best KHLers and best men euro league players on the planet with a couple of NHLers in the mix. So what is more impressive, Slafkovky ending up as the best Slovakian scorer of that competition playing half his games with Tomas f***n Tatar or Wright producing at a 1,27 rate in the OHL playoffs with Chromiak and Edmonds besides him? One dominated a top men competition and the other one struggled against 16-20 yrs old kids. Pick one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schooner Guy

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Wright went from a 1,45 PPG pace playing with the kids to a 1,70 PPG pace playing with guys like Chromiak, Wisdom, frasca, Edmonds ect. 1,7 was the very best he could offer in the 3rd tier of the season , do you think a such pace at the junior level is 1st OV worthy?

Wrong, Wright has very good agility but his top speed is non existant in game play, he even admitted himself that he needed to work on his foot speed, whereas Slafkovsky uses it basically every shift and can really explode through the neutral zone, Slaf is a powerful skater and you are badly underrating that part of his game.

Slafkovsky competes hard on 200 ft. is pretty strong and relentless on pucks whereas Wright is not physically engaged, doesnt hustle much and rather weak on pucks. Scouching guy and HP are both pointing out how far he is from a center like Bergeron. Wright is smart, but his 200 ft. game flawed in term of workload at this point.

The guy thinks Slaf's IQ is high enough to play center, but specifies that his physical tools and boards work are possibly better suited for the winger position, which is an evidence to me. Cant see Slaf playing center, he is a power winger.

Wright was not playing with much energy, lacked pace and looked overall slow footed. Not sure what the issue was personally, but the added weight in the offseason was one hypothesis here.

1st, Slakovsky was awarded MVP of the Olympics meanwhile Tatar was skating on NJ's third line. Secondly, Slaf was driving Slovakian's 2nd line at the WC for the 1st half of the competition where he still was getting pts and generating momentum, André Tourigny was quoted saying their 2nd line was their best one before promoting the kid on the top line. Thirdly, that was Thomas freaking Tatar who is on the line to retire and finish his carreer oversea vs top men competition including a couple of NHLers in the mix , Slaf still outproduced a bunch of them including some big names on team Canada. 4th, you are making it look like it was a Pee-wee CC level of competition when it was some of the best KHLers and best men euro league players on the planet with a couple of NHLers in the mix. So what is more impressive, Slafkovky ending up as the best Slovakian scorer of that competition playing half his games with Tomas freaking Tatar or Wright producing at a 1,27 rate in the OHL playoffs with Chromiak and Edmonds besides him? One dominated a top men competition and the other one struggled against 16-20 yrs old kids. Pick one.
I love Slaf. Huge fan. Good complete level. But he's Josh Anderson bad with some of his poor IQ mistakes. Good thing is he's still young and can improve in that area, especially because his compete level is high.

Reactions: ReHabs

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Exactly the point that I have been trying to drive home.

It is comical that posters act like the kid has somehow lost the skill that he had used to demolish every challenge in front of him prior to this season. Both he and his coach have both explained his point totals being lower than expected yet the same questions keep being thrown at him while other prospects have blatantly obvious question marks and are being treated as superior prospects.

You would think he totally sh*t the bed but he was 2nd among 1st year draft eligible players in the entire CHL. This while intentionally sacrificing offence for defence and conceding ice time to a top line of 20 year olds.

He wasn't perfect and I have aired my concerns but imo he is convincingly the best forward in this draft.

I think he is the victim of over exposure and perhaps Lafreniere's slowish start is influencing the contrarian narrative.

I will be shocked if HuGo does not select Wright but I will get behind whomever they select unless it turns out poorly down the road. Hopefully others here are big enough to do the same......

It's so true..

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I love Slaf. Huge fan. Good complete level. But he's Josh Anderson bad with some of his poor IQ mistakes. Good thing is he's still young and can improve in that area, especially because his compete level is high.
Oh boy, you will see the difference of skills, offensive awarenessess and IQ quick enough if we draft him.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
My ideal 1st pick for us is Wright with a iota more ability to drive play and desire to take over a game. If our management/coaching team think they can get him there then let's just go for it and call it a day.

I need the draft to get here already.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Oh boy, you will see the difference of skills, offensive awarenessess and IQ quick enough if we draft him.
Why didn’t he, or couldn’t he, apply his god given skills to produce more in Liiga?

Once again you never answer this: your effusive praise of the player in all facets and aspects belies the empirical evidence we have before us. There were thirty some odd games where he did not produce a single point. Why is that?

Either he isn’t as complete (mentally, physically, etc) as you and others keep insisting he is or it is truly irrelevant that a 1OA, who will be an NHLer in a few months, couldn’t produce against Liiga opposition.

I’m willing to be more open minded about Slaf if someone can convince that his very low Liiga production is truly irrelevant.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
All I see is one guy saying Wright sucks and Slaf is better and another saying Slaf sucks and Wright is better. Both of you guys are pushing for your prospect. There are cons to BOTH prospects.
It’s not that Slaf sucks, it’s more simple: if he’s so complete and perfect why weren’t his stats better? How can he have high IQ, superior stick, perfect physique, terrific skating, and lots of nifty tools (I am paraphrasing that scout from the devil’s blog video) and not produce more than c. 0.35 PPG?

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Anyone think they should take a chance on that Russian kid recovering from non Hodgkins lymphoma if he slips late first round or early second? I heard he recovered but who knows what's going to happen with Russia in the coming years. I think they're deep enough to take a swing at him.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

1st, Slafkovsky was awarded MVP of the Olympics meanwhile Tatar was skating on NJ's third line. Secondly, Slaf was driving Slovakian's 2nd line at the WC for the 1st half of the competition where he still was getting pts and generating momentum, André Tourigny was quoted saying their 2nd line was their best one before promoting the kid on the top line. Thirdly, that was Thomas freaking Tatar who is on the line to retire and finish his carreer oversea vs top men competition including a couple of NHLers in the mix , Slaf still outproduced a bunch of them including some big names on team Canada. 4th, you are making it look like it was a Pee-wee CC level of competition when it was some of the best KHLers and best men euro league players on the planet with a couple of NHLers in the mix. So what is more impressive, Slafkovky ending up as the best Slovakian scorer of that competition playing half his games with Tomas f***n Tatar or Wright producing at a 1,27 rate in the OHL playoffs with Chromiak and Edmonds besides him? One dominated a top men competition and the other one struggled against 16-20 yrs old kids. Pick one.
Wright's top end speed is non existent ???

Your crediblility is non existent. Slafkovsky isn't in the same league as Wright as a skater, passer or shooter.....those are just facts. Slaf is bigger, stronger and plays with more flair and who knows maybe he ends up the better player but there is no need to make up nonsense to support your claim.

I am done lowering myself to this discussion with you.

Reactions: Jack Skellington

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Anyone think they should take a chance on that Russian kid recovering from non Hodgkins lymphoma if he slips late first round or early second? I heard he recovered but who knows what's going to happen with Russia in the coming years. I think they're deep enough to take a swing at him.

Only if he's not going back to Russia.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I'm ready for any player they draft. The way I see it;

Wright - Will not be surprised and happy with the pick
Cooley - Pleasantly surprised and happy with the pick
Slafkovsky - Will not be happy with the pick, but will get behind him just like I did with KK.

The only thing I don't want is another bust with our high pick.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I'm ready for any player they draft. The way I see it;

Wright - Will not be surprised and happy with the pick
Cooley - Pleasantly surprised and happy with the pick
Slafkovsky - Will not be happy with the pick, but will get behind him just like I did with KK.

The only thing I don't want is another bust with our high pick.
So going by your “feelings” what if Habs select Wright or Cooley and they bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad