TSN: Bob McKenzie says that the #2 overall pick is up for grabs

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Isn't Juolevi the last thing they need
Yeah.. it seems.... but like every roster, it's such a dynamic situation..

IF Carolina is set on the backend in terms of talent.. they need something upfront.

Well in the 2nd spot they have a potential star forward available to them... so why would they be willing trade out of it?

Maybe looking for a top end Center from someone..
No one is giving up a #1 C for a 2nd overall... so then what?

Wasn't there talk of trading Justin Falk while his value is high? Then things make more sense..
Carolina is willing to move down to draft a dman, gain assets and then off load Falk to address other needs..

Who the f*** knows. New GM, so you don't even know what his assessment is of the situation.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
It's been said here but this would have to include the 7th OA and Demko to even start negotiations. It's the "and then ..." that I don't want to entertain.

Way too many holes and needs on the Canucks end of things to begin giving up multiple assets for a single player who is - at this point - not considered generational.

Keep acquiring assets and building depth, and maybe there's a chance to be in the Hughes Jr. and Lafrenière sweepstakes in the next two drafts ... if management embraces the need to rebuild.

Reactions: MarkMM

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's been said here but this would have to include the 7th OA and Demko to even start negotiations. It's the "and then ..." that I don't want to entertain.

Way too many holes and needs on the Canucks end of things to begin giving up multiple assets for a single player who is - at this point - not considered generational.

Keep acquiring assets and building depth, and maybe there's a chance to be in the Hughes Jr. and Lafrenière sweepstakes in the next two drafts ... if management embraces the need to rebuild.
Well said....At this point for the Canucks to be giving up multiple assets they would be filling one hole,and springing another..

At the end of the day,Carolina will be picking #2 anyways..

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I don't see the point in trading up for Svechnikov considering that Carolina would want something attractive with the 7th overall (aka not a 2nd round pick or good prospect). If the 2nd rated player was a potential #1 C or #1D then sure but I don't see the value in trading up for a position that we are fairly deep.

You would have to be 100% confident in Pettersson sticking at center to even consider this kind of move and I'm not sure anybody should feel 100% confident about that at this point.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I'm definitely interested to see how Don Wadell and the finance ghoul blow it in Carolina. I could see them making some hideous trade involving their pick. Obviously Jim Benning will be nowhere near this deal as he's lacking the basic competency to complete a trade of any significance or complexity.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
This is almost certainly because Svechnikov is the consensus 2nd overall pick and the Hurricanes haven't drafted a Russian player in more than a decade. They avoid that region entirely.

I would definitely try to get in on this. Not sure what we'd have to give up. If it's Boeser/Petersson I'm out.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
7OA + Virtanen + Gaudette + Hutton + Goldobin + DiPietro + 2nd

... would still be a massive low-ball, people. Quantity does not buy you quality.

Virtanen, Hutton, and Goldobin barely have trade value, Gaudette probably has more value to us than to anyone else, and DiPietro is another so-so prospect. The 7OA is the only thing in that package that would pique a team's curiosity for the 2OA.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Canuck things of real value: Boeser, Petersson, Horvat, Demko, 2018 7th OA pick, 2019 1st Rd pick, 2020 1st Rd pick.

I'm not giving up any one (or combination) of those at this point.
Agreed, although I think you mean any two of these. A 2OA is worth giving up just about any one of these (other than possibly Boeser).

Reactions: Sleestack

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
First post here, and I'm curious why Carolia would move their pick

1. They need help at all positions so they must have their eye on someone who's ranked lower that they know they can get at that pick?

2. Clearly, that player is a defenseman or center since 2 and 3 are established (or at lest highly probable) Svech/Zadina who are wingers.

3. Are they willing to move their pick to move down for a player that they like later in the rankings, or are they looking to move pick (with no first rounder back) for a more established young player (ie help now to make the playoffs-they were close this year)

All of these questions matter because unless we know the 'why', its hard to put a value on what they would take. I can say for those saying 7th + Jake + 2nd rounder is not enough - its actually an overpayment

Carolina would get a kid who's "starting" to get it at 20 years old (most drafted players haven't had a sniff of the NHL by that age by the way- its just many canucks fans seem to expect every player to come in at 18 and dominate-there's no such thing as patience and development), and is as fast as McDavid and a power foward, who can hit and has hands which will come around (7th overall) plus only move down 5 spots (not lose a high first rounder) AND get a high 2nd? Alot here clearly don't realize Jake has alot of value still and will as he emerges even more.

I don't make that trade for the simple reason (as a Canuck), that Svech or Zadina are highly unlikely to have more value than Jake + (ex) Bouchard, Wahlstrom, Kotkaneimi, Hughes, Dobson etc, ad whomever we get with our 2nd. You'd have to be stupid as Bening to make that deal, especially in a rebuild.

Shiny new object syndrome, one high player is a "savior" and better than 2 very highly drafted young players and another very young NHL'er who still has great potential to be a game breaking power forward and is showng flashes of it. No #2 isn't worth that unless he's guaranteed to be Malkin 2.0 - which no one ever is.

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
This is almost certainly because Svechnikov is the consensus 2nd overall pick and the Hurricanes haven't drafted a Russian player in more than a decade. They avoid that region entirely.

I would definitely try to get in on this. Not sure what we'd have to give up. If it's Boeser/Petersson I'm out.

Svech vs Zadina isn't too much of a stretch. They don't need to trade the pick to choose Zadina, if the "russian factor" is an issue - which I doubt.

My guess is they need a C, and are willing to move the pick and not care about getting a first round pick back if the C they get in return is proving he can be a #2 in the NHL - ie they will want a Bo or Bo Lite for the pick straight up in my view. But wanting vs getting are two different things. I don't think any team is going to trade a Bo type player for an unproven draft pick.

Maybe Toronto moves Nylander or Edmonton RNH+ a pick? I could see that working. They can both fill an offensive 2c Role, takes cap worries away for both. And even if either team throws in their first it works out.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Not worth the price it will cost. They would want another high-end piece to go along with the 7th overall pick. So one of Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Juolevi, Demko would need to be packaged with the 7th and we can't afford to part with these type of pieces as of now.

Keep our assets and just draft Wahlstrom/Hughes/Kotkaniemi/Dobson with the 7th.

Continue finishing low in the standings for the next 2 years and hope for lottery luck.

Reactions: NucksRock

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
First post here, and I'm curious why Carolia would move their pick

1. They need help at all positions so they must have their eye on someone who's ranked lower that they know they can get at that pick?

2. Clearly, that player is a defenseman or center since 2 and 3 are established (or at lest highly probable) Svech/Zadina who are wingers.

3. Are they willing to move their pick to move down for a player that they like later in the rankings, or are they looking to move pick (with no first rounder back) for a more established young player (ie help now to make the playoffs-they were close this year)

All of these questions matter because unless we know the 'why', its hard to put a value on what they would take. I can say for those saying 7th + Jake + 2nd rounder is not enough - its actually an overpayment

Carolina would get a kid who's "starting" to get it at 20 years old (most drafted players haven't had a sniff of the NHL by that age by the way- its just many canucks fans seem to expect every player to come in at 18 and dominate-there's no such thing as patience and development), and is as fast as McDavid and a power foward, who can hit and has hands which will come around (7th overall) plus only move down 5 spots (not lose a high first rounder) AND get a high 2nd? Alot here clearly don't realize Jake has alot of value still and will as he emerges even more.

I don't make that trade for the simple reason (as a Canuck), that Svech or Zadina are highly unlikely to have more value than Jake + (ex) Bouchard, Wahlstrom, Kotkaneimi, Hughes, Dobson etc, ad whomever we get with our 2nd. You'd have to be stupid as Bening to make that deal, especially in a rebuild.

Shiny new object syndrome, one high player is a "savior" and better than 2 very highly drafted young players and another very young NHL'er who still has great potential to be a game breaking power forward and is showng flashes of it. No #2 isn't worth that unless he's guaranteed to be Malkin 2.0 - which no one ever is.

Jake isn’t 20, he’ll turn 22 this August. And there are MANY kids who’ve had a “sniff” of the NHL at his age. Most of whom have eclipsed 10 goals as their career high by that age too. Svechnikov would be a massive bust if he didn’t exceed Jake’s entire career total as a rookie next season alone.

There’s zero chance he is payment enough to drop from #2 to #7. Not even close.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkMM

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
The payment was #7+Jake + 2nd rounder - that is more than enough and an overpayment when you consider where he is, what you're giving up in picks for a rebuilding team and what you're getting back -that was the point. Svech is not > Jake, any player we get at 7 and given Benning's Drafting who we get at 38 (or whatever number our 2nd is).

And I'm glad you know definitively what the Carolina GM thinks lol

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The payment was #7+Jake + 2nd rounder - that is more than enough and an overpayment when you consider where he is, what you're giving up in picks for a rebuilding team and what you're getting back -that was the point. Svech is not > Jake, any player we get at 7 and given Benning's Drafting who we get at 38 (or whatever number our 2nd is).

And I'm glad you know definitively what the Carolina GM thinks lol

I don’t know what Edmonton’s GM thinks either but I’d be equally confident he won’t trade McDavid for Horvat and Juolevi.

Common sense. Jake isn’t the player you describe him as. That’s just Canuck-tinted glasses talking.

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
Dude Svech or Zadina are no where close to McDavid, what are you talking about. Svech or Zadina "may be top 3 players, and should be top 6" but are not generational and aren't even in the class of Eichel, Matthews or Patrick Kane.

I think you need to calibrate your view on the picks after Dhalin. Your argument would hold for him, as by all accounts he's been called the McDavid on defense, the next 2 are potential stars but by no means guaranteed. So much so, they may very well be moves of those picks (as we are talking about here) and players like Kotkaiemi, Walhstrom etc may creep into the top 3 or 5.

If #2 was generational do you think Carolina would be open to moving? 2-7 is going to be a crapshoot. They are alot closer than you are suggesting.

Tryforthekingdom

Nov 15, 2015
Svechnikov today is already a better player than Virtanen despite the four year age difference, and it's not going to get any closer. I would want Horvat, Demko, and the 7th if I was Carolina.

As someone mentioned above, the only way I see them trading down is if they have a centre really high on their draft board, if they feel someone like Kotkaniemi can be a number one guy, and they're also able to address their goaltending and get a young forward back in a hypothetical deal then maybe there's the slimmest hope something gets done. Realistically, Carolina is just doing it's due diligence and listening to what other teams are willing to throw out there.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Dude Svech or Zadina are no where close to McDavid, what are you talking about. Svech or Zadina "may be top 3 players, and should be top 6" but are not generational and aren't even in the class of Eichel, Matthews or Patrick Kane.

I think you need to calibrate your view on the picks after Dhalin. Your argument would hold for him, as by all accounts he's been called the McDavid on defense, the next 2 are potential stars but by no means guaranteed. So much so, they may very well be moves of those picks (as we are talking about here) and players like Kotkaiemi, Walhstrom etc may creep into the top 3 or 5.

If #2 was generational do you think Carolina would be open to moving? 2-7 is going to be a crapshoot. They are alot closer than you are suggesting.

So, dovetailing off your logic here, why trade up and give away anything?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

I wasn’t comparing him to McDavid, it was an example of being able to make reasonable conclusions about players value without actually knowing the GM.

Being open to moving is always contingent on getting proper value in return. It doesn’t mean they will just throw it away at the first terrible offer they receive. Svechnikov may not be the player they ideally want but they clearly recognize his value and as such will want more than the 7th pick and a 22 year old draft disappointment in return. Even adding the 37th gets you nowhere close in value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad