TSN: Bob McKenzie says that the #2 overall pick is up for grabs

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/the-tsn-hockey-bobcast-season-2-episode-17-1.1076164

I’m a little late to the party on this, but yeah.....

Carolina is willing to move the #2 pick.

I might be in the minority here, but I do think there is a gap between Svechnikov and the other forwards in this draft. While I don’t think Svech will be the next Ovechkin or Kucherov, I think he’ll be in that Vladimir Tarasenko category.

While the Canucks are in need of more defensemen, having Svech and Boeser on separate lines on our Top 6 would be a potential nightmare for opposing teams. Dahlen-Pettersson-Svech = potentially one of the best lines in hockey in a few years.

So here are my questions:

1) Would you be willing to move up to the #2 spot?

2) what would it take to get there? I would like to think Virtanen + 7OA + 2nd would be enough, but Carolina likely wouldn’t accept anything less than atleast one of Boeser, Horvat, or Pettersson (which to me, is not acceptable).

I could see Virtanen + 7OA + Gaudette being a deal that both teams accept, but I’d be a little sad to lose both Virtanen and Gaudette. Obviously at this stage in the Canucks’ rebuild, they need to be wary of trading multiple young pieces.

However, the idea of having

Dahlen-Pettersson-Svechnikov
Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

As our Top 6 is extremely difficult to ignore.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
I don't see 7OA and Virtanen and 2nd being even in the realm of consideration for Carolina. Including Gaudette as well might get them interested though. Would I do that for Svechnikov? Probably not. Gaudette is tracking well to be a solid contributor in the top 9 (possibly a good 2nd line center for us - considering we are very thin at center as well, this is key).

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
Cant see Virtanen + 7OA + Gaudette doing it. Virtanen and Gaudette are still unproven pieces at this point.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Probably a price too steep for us to pay.

I imagine they want players that can help them in the playoffs next season.

Who do we have that we can afford to give up? Maybe a package that starts with Tanev + our 1st & 2nd (but you need to add more).

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
It would take Pettersson +

and yes it'll take a plus, because they can draft Svechnikov who is the better prospect of the two, so it wouldn't make sense for them not to ask for an addition.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I would love to get Svech, I just don't see us having the spare parts to make this happen. The parts that they would want, would offset us getting a talent like him.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Value wise I’d think it’d take something like 7th + Juolevi to get it done. But I can’t see us trading our only decent D prospect plus the pick we could use to get another one just for a RW, even as good as Svech is.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
It's hard to say what's the value of the 2nd overall pick is because it is hardly ever traded. However if it is hardly traded that means GM put a lot of value in it. The only time I remember a team using their own 1st round pick in part of a package to move up to 2nd overall was in 1993. 6th overall, 2nd and 3rd round pick was traded for the 2nd overall pick. That pick was used for Pronger.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It would take Pettersson +

and yes it'll take a plus, because they can draft Svechnikov who is the better prospect of the two, so it wouldn't make sense for them not to ask for an addition.
Generally,most teams would swap picks in this case...I'm assuming you don't mean Pettersson +7th OA...?

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
To be honest I rather just grab a D at 7. Price would be to hard to swallow. But if it just took Virtanen + 7th Overall I would absolutely do it, even put in Gaudette in the mix. Svech is a for sure top 6 forward in this league.

Puck Ingrate

Aug 18, 2011
MSP / YVR
The Canes don't need Virtanen when they've already got their own logjam of forward projects in the system, including Lucas Wallmark, Nicolas Roy, Aleksi Saarela, Valentin Zykov, Janne Kuokkanen and Martin Necas. That doesn't account for their young players who are already playing at the NHL level, like Aho, Teravainen, Lindholm, McGinn and Rask.

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Carolina needs goaltending badly... what about:

7th + Nilsson, Dipietro, Hutton for the 2nd overall.

Carolina gets 2 NHL players for their roster next year in 2018 World Championship winning goaltender Anders Nilsson and a puck moving Dman who fell out of favour under a new coach (happens all the time). Team Canada's World Junior starting goaltender in Dipietro and the 7th overall pick.

Then Jim Benning take that 2nd overall and draft Ryan Merkley.

;)

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Virtanen and a 2nd is a disgusting underpayment and Carolina laughs and hangs up mcHindu

Haha I know dude. However - my proposed package was Virtanen + 2nd + 7th overall (or Virtanen + Gaudette + 7th overall).

@CanaFan - you’re probably right about Juoevli but like you said, I’d try and hang onto him as he’s our only top end defensive prospect.

I love Gaudette, and think Virtanen will take the next step, but I think I’d strongly consider even the following package:

To Vancouver: Andrei Svechnikov
To Carolina: Virtanen, Gaudette, 7th overall, 2nd round pick.

If that proposal isn’t acceptable for Carolina, then we walk away. I’m not entirely sure if I would offer that because as I said......teams in our stage of the rebuild should be very wary of trading green houses for a red hotel......but hot damn would our top 6 be set with Svech and Boeser.

Dahlen-Pettersson-Svechnikov
Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Gaunce-Sutter-Eriksson
Granlund-Gagner-Goldobin

Juolevi-Tanev
Edler-Gudbranson
Hutton-Del Zotto

2/3 of Markstrom, Demko, Dipietro.

Sign a a short term band aid like Mike Green to a high cap hit short term deal. This possibly allows the kids to realistically compete for a playoff spot.

In a span of two years, let these kids grow and develop. Then, when Drew Doughty and Erik Karlsson become UFA’s, take a MASSIVE run at one of those two.

By that time, Karlsson or Doughty might strongly consider Vancouver IF guys like Demko/Dipietro, Juolevi, Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Dahlen, and Svechnikov start showing serious signs of being future championship calibre players.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Hrmmm... Horvat, Nilsson, Dipietro for the 2nd overall.

Canucks then trade the 2nd overall to the Islanders for picks 11, 12 and trade Tanev to the Leafs for the 25th overall pick and Eemeli Rasanen.

DRAFT:
11 -Noah Dobson
12 - Ryan Merkley
25 - Dominik Bokk

Then with the cash they've saved on Horvat/Sedins/Tanev they sign Tavares and Riley Nash.

Next season:

Virtanen - Tavares - Boeser
Baertschi - Granlund - Goldobin
Dahlen - Nash - Pettersson
Gagner - Sutter - Eriksson
Leipsic

Edler - Stecher
Gudbranson - Dobson
Del Zotto - Juolevi
Pouliot

Markstrom
Demko

-----

Gaudette, Bokk, Lind, Jasek, Rasanen, Merkley all in AHL or back to their Junior teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad