Blues want Canada to adopt them as 'their' team

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
What a super move by Tarasenko! It's one of those midget "through the defender's legs" moves that doesn't usually work on The NHL level. Too bad no teammate was there to get the rebound.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Lol. Robb you seem to always find yourself in the wrong thread.

I agree with the others on here. Don't say you're going to do something and then don't do it.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I want the Blues to win original expansion team had many good teams only to have the gm destroy the chemistry at trade deadline in 90s early00s would be fantastic for their city to win Stanley

spiller19

Sep 23, 2013
As an avalanche fan and Canadian I don't really like the blues but I'm cheering for them not because of the video but because I want to see/hear more from the guy who discovered hockey in game 7 against the Hawks :)

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Lol. Robb you seem to always find yourself in the wrong thread.

I agree with the others on here. Don't say you're going to do something and then don't do it.

That's a bit strong! It implies that I NEVER make a post on the correct thread. You could say that I OFTEN post on a wrong thread. That happens when I'm posting between periods on other threads, and forget I'm NOT on the GDT when the game starts again.

That comes from being 70 years old. I can remember well Gordie Howe in his prime, but I often can't remember something that happened 5 minutes ago. :rant: It's also usually the middle of the night for me (almost morning of a no-sleep night). That adds to the lack of awareness. Luckily, I'm an independent contract artist, and so, work at home. So I can start sleeping at 5:00 or 6:00 in the morning, sleep 5-6 hours, and then wake up and work 7-8 hours.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
That's a bit strong! It implies that I NEVER make a post on the correct thread. You could say that I OFTEN post on a wrong thread. That happens when I'm posting between periods on other threads, and forget I'm NOT on the GDT when the game starts again.

That comes from being 70 years old. I can remember well Gordie Howe in his prime, but I often can't remember something that happened 5 minutes ago. :rant: It's also usually the middle of the night for me (almost morning of a no-sleep night). That adds to the lack of awareness. Luckily, I'm an independent contract artist, and so, work at home. So I can start sleeping at 5:00 or 6:00 in the morning, sleep 5-6 hours, and then wake up and work 7-8 hours.

Robb, your historical knowledge of the Blues and hockey generally, coupled with the passion to follow the team closely from across the ocean...it's a treasure on is forum. When I think of the Blues winning their first Stanley Cup, I think about fans like you who have been waiting 50 years.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Except you guys basically gave us so much disrespect by saying you would play "O Canada" then not doing it.

Well played Blues. You guys probably have no clue about how much that actually would have meant something to Canadian hockey fans.

Yeah Canadian hockey fans can be over the top because of much we love and care about our game. But, we're a kind people and known "honest brokers" around the world. If you say you're going to do something, do it. This was a massive disappointment.

I don't know if it made the broadcast on NBCSN or the Canadian broadcast, but the team hosted six members of the Canadian Snowbirds in seats behind the Blues bench. They were in town this weekend for an airshow in suburban St. Louis. If I am remembering correctly, they are members of the RCAF and were basically honored the same way in which we honor a US Service Member of the game at each home game during a stoppage in play. In my mind, it was a much classier move than simply playing the Canadian National Anthem. Unfortunately, if you weren't actually at the game you probably didn't see it. I expect the team intended to play the Canadian Anthem before the game, too, but were likely rebuffed by the NHL since both anthems aren't traditionally played unless a Canadian and American team are playing. If you want to be mad at anyone about this, my guess is that you should be mad at the league.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't know if it made the broadcast on NBCSN or the Canadian broadcast, but the team hosted six members of the Canadian Snowbirds in seats behind the Blues bench. They were in town this weekend for an airshow in suburban St. Louis. If I am remembering correctly, they are members of the RCAF and were basically honored the same way in which we honor a US Service Member of the game at each home game during a stoppage in play. In my mind, it was a much classier move than simply playing the Canadian National Anthem. Unfortunately, if you weren't actually at the game you probably didn't see it. I expect the team intended to play the Canadian Anthem before the game, too, but were likely rebuffed by the NHL since both anthems aren't traditionally played unless a Canadian and American team are playing. If you want to be mad at anyone about this, my guess is that you should be mad at the league.

That was cool that they did that for the vets. Props! And no, I don't recall the broadcast showing it during the game.

You're probably right, it likely came from the NHL brass to not allow the Blues to do this simple gesture :shakehead. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be upset or blame the Blues for it. It's just the Blues said they would do it, then didn't.

Cooler heads have prevailed obviously, but it was disappointing. I'm not going to stay angry over it by any means, it was just a very frustrating moment when most Canadian fans are already highly frustrated with the NHL.

From changes to Hockey Night In Canada, no Canadian playoff teams, and rumours that the NHL won't let our guys go defend our Olympic Gold in 2018, most average Canadian hockey fans are fairly frustrated with the NHL right now.

A 60% reduction in Playoff viewership amongst Canadians is hard to ignore. Stuff like this doesn't like exactly help. I don't want to blame the Blues though, I'm going to assume it was an honest mistake and there was no intent to make a promise they couldn't keep. It is worth noting that I do realize how objectively stupid something as small as "O Canada" being sung is, it's just something that I was looking forward to hearing for the first time these playoffs.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
Getting offended by a national anthem is extremely childish.

This game is being played in the United States, sorry but if you don't like it then maybe your Canadian teams should start getting better so they can play hockey in May.

This is a hockey game. I don't understand the need to "recognize" Canada. Yes I'm aware where this game started, but when did this become a thing to do? No other teams are doing that. Why start now?

I can't believe no one is cluing in yet it is about RATINGS. Ratings are in the tank this post season and those numbers matter. this is why St. Louis is trying to woo fans. That said, I think the anthem before games is redundant and should be removed.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
I agree that the Blues should have never said that. To me I think they are just trying too hard to gain bandwagon fans. I don't think they actually "care" about Canada. The whole thing is stupid but it's the Blues who sometimes do things like that.

of course they care about Canada. you don't bite the hand that feeds. an angry beaver bite hurts. a moose killed my sister once.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
That was cool that they did that for the vets. Props! And no, I don't recall the broadcast showing it during the game.

You're probably right, it likely came from the NHL brass to not allow the Blues to do this simple gesture :shakehead. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be upset or blame the Blues for it. It's just the Blues said they would do it, then didn't.

Cooler heads have prevailed obviously, but it was disappointing. I'm not going to stay angry over it by any means, it was just a very frustrating moment when most Canadian fans are already highly frustrated with the NHL.

From changes to Hockey Night In Canada, no Canadian playoff teams, and rumours that the NHL won't let our guys go defend our Olympic Gold in 2018, most average Canadian hockey fans are fairly frustrated with the NHL right now.

A 60% reduction in Playoff viewership amongst Canadians is hard to ignore. Stuff like this doesn't like exactly help. I don't want to blame the Blues though, I'm going to assume it was an honest mistake and there was no intent to make a promise they couldn't keep. It is worth noting that I do realize how objectively stupid something as small as "O Canada" being sung is, it's just something that I was looking forward to hearing for the first time these playoffs.

Here is a link to the in-game presentation if you're interested.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

So, it seems that The NHL nixed The Blues' permission to play both national anthems, because they didn't want to start a trend that they could potentially be later "held to" as a tradition, which could possibly become a bone of contention, and, perhaps instigate bickering. AND, they gave that tribute to Canada's military, instead.

One can't blame them. No team administration would make a promise they have the ability to keep, and then, deliberately not keep it. That would be a very bad public relations mistake.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007

I know my friend. Just giving you grief! :laugh:

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
We love Canadians, lol. This Blues fan spent 45 days in the lost region of Alberta known as CFB Wainwright with most of the Canadian Armed Forces back in 1985. Middle of nowhere, looked a lot like our midwest states like Kansas, lol. Canadians have a sense of humor, their F18 pilots used to buzz our tents 100 feet off the ground daily, lol. Trained and partied with their officers in their Regimental Messes almost every night during the field excercises. Highlights were the all unit Subbie's party (Junior officers, Lieutenants mostly) where a huge brawl broke out, and dancing at a club in Wainwright with a young, blonde French Canadian enlisted soldier that I had met serving at one of the Regimental messes. Canadian Army knew how to train, they used to allow their soldiers to have two beers at lunch in their messes. Our commanders said when in Rome, etc. One of the best deployments during my time in the Army, only slightly less fun than training in Thailand, with a visit to Bangkok. Later while living in Alaska, I often visited Canada in the Yukon and BC. Always had a good time, watched some Junior B league hockey when I could in Whitehorse, YKT.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Thank you! I don't know how I missed this in my quotes notification just seen it now. That's cool that they did that, they didn't show it on the live broadcast (at least not here in Alberta).

I do apologize, I shouldn't have been as offended as I was over the whole anthem thing. We just love hockey up here in a way that is probably unhealthy. I don't know what an American equivalent would be, perhaps college football in the deep south? Hockey is a very big part of our culture, especially on the frozen plains of Western Canada.

We love Canadians, lol. This Blues fan spent 45 days in the lost region of Alberta known as CFB Wainwright with most of the Canadian Armed Forces back in 1985. Middle of nowhere, looked a lot like our midwest states like Kansas, lol. Canadians have a sense of humor, their F18 pilots used to buzz our tents 100 feet off the ground daily, lol. Trained and partied with their officers in their Regimental Messes almost every night during the field excercises. Highlights were the all unit Subbie's party (Junior officers, Lieutenants mostly) where a huge brawl broke out, and dancing at a club in Wainwright with a young, blonde French Canadian enlisted soldier that I had met serving at one of the Regimental messes. Canadian Army knew how to train, they used to allow their soldiers to have two beers at lunch in their messes. Our commanders said when in Rome, etc. One of the best deployments during my time in the Army, only slightly less fun than training in Thailand, with a visit to Bangkok. Later while living in Alaska, I often visited Canada in the Yukon and BC. Always had a good time, watched some Junior B league hockey when I could in Whitehorse, YKT.

I'm actually not too far from Wainwright. Thanks for sharing the story, that's really cool. Lots of my friends have served in the Canadian military, and Wainwright is the main training grounds for their regiment. The good Canadian boys are also tough as they come, I'm sure they held their own in the brawl.

Again, that's an awesome story I can definitely picture that happening. Albertans love hockey and we love to drink beer. When you combine them both, that's our kind of party :). A little fisticuffs never hurt no one.

Parayko is also a good northern Alberta boy. My favourite non-Oiler player in the NHL.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I'm an Oilers fan who's lived in Edmonton my whole life. Still, I didn't need the Blues organization to convince me to back them during this post-season. Every year, once my teams (Oilers & Flyers) are out, I root for whoever is playing the Oil's biggest historic rivals (Flames, Kings, Stars, Canucks, Ducks) but more so for teams like the Blues & Sabres whose longtime fans have stuck with their franchises the longest without experiencing a Stanley Cup victory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad