Blues want Canada to adopt them as 'their' team

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
So are they playing the anthem or not?

I know it sounds like a small thing, but not hearing the Canadian national anthem played during the playoffs sucks. I know Canadian teams usually get bounced early recently, but it still matters.

A big part of the playoff experience for Canadians is hearing our anthem played before the game. I get chills running down my spine every time.

Are they going to play it or not? It would be a massive troll job to Canada if they said they would do it then they don't end up doing it.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
So are they playing the anthem or not?

I know it sounds like a small thing, but not hearing the Canadian national anthem played during the playoffs sucks. I know Canadian teams usually get bounced early recently, but it still matters.

A big part of the playoff experience for Canadians is hearing our anthem played before the game. I get chills running down my spine every time.

Are they going to play it or not? It would be a massive troll job to Canada if they said they would do it then they don't end up doing it.

I don't know where the report came from that they would not play it. As far as I know it's happening.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't know where the report came from that they would not play it. As far as I know it's happening.

:handclap:

Well I was on the Sharks wagon before.

But with Tony X and the Blues showing some love for Canada + my ****ing hatred for the little ***** Polak, I'm rolling Blues.

Someone should run Polak. That coward couldn't face Nurse himself after Nurse beat his ass. Now you got to face Nurse a year older and stronger Polak, you ****ing *****.

#LGB

Silent Knight

45 RULES
Nov 6, 2010
Cypress Creek
Friendly sharks fan here, just poking around.

I wanted to mention that the Blues' appeal to Canada is a reaction to the Sports Illustrated story from April:

Why the San Jose Sharks should be Canada's playoff team

So... it seems a little late to ask Canada -now- although I suppose Canada can changer her mind :D

Friendly Leafs fan here, I was already with the Sharks, it's time for Jumbo Joe to get his ring. I have nothing against the Blues, other than my teams horrible management (at the time) was hosed for Alex Steen, beyond that I respect them and if the Sharks can't win I will support the Blues. :)

Blues = 18 Canadians
Sharks = 13 Canadians

13 was a good number for the Leafs this year... ;)

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Friendly Leafs fan here, I was already with the Sharks, it's time for Jumbo Joe to get his ring. I have nothing against the Blues, other than my teams horrible management (at the time) was hosed for Alex Steen, beyond that I respect them and if the Sharks can't win I will support the Blues. :)

Blues = 18 Canadians
Sharks = 13 Canadians

13 was a good number for the Leafs this year... ;)

The Blues have been waiting to get their ring since 1967. Thornton can get bent. Lol

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Except you guys basically gave us so much disrespect by saying you would play "O Canada" then not doing it.

Well played Blues. You guys probably have no clue about how much that actually would have meant something to Canadian hockey fans.

Yeah Canadian hockey fans can be over the top because of much we love and care about our game. But, we're a kind people and known "honest brokers" around the world. If you say you're going to do something, do it. This was a massive disappointment.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Except you guys basically gave us so much disrespect by saying you would play "O Canada" then not doing it.

Well played Blues. You guys probably have no clue about how much that actually would have meant something to Canadian hockey fans.

Why don't you wait to see what they do before taking offense?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Why does the anthem matter at all? These are two American teams. If they are going to do the Canadian anthem then take an hour and do them all.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Why does the anthem matter at all? These are two American teams. If they are going to do the Canadian anthem then take an hour and do them all.

They just should not have annoinced they would do it if they weren't. Sounds like there was some conflict (I bet NBC nixed it for the telecast) so they are doing something else to recognize Canada.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Yeah Canadian hockey fans can be over the top because of much we love and care about our game. But, we're a kind people and known "honest brokers" around the world. If you say you're going to do something, do it. This was a massive disappointment.
Getting offended by a national anthem is extremely childish.

This game is being played in the United States, sorry but if you don't like it then maybe your Canadian teams should start getting better so they can play hockey in May.

This is a hockey game. I don't understand the need to "recognize" Canada. Yes I'm aware where this game started, but when did this become a thing to do? No other teams are doing that. Why start now?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Getting offended by a national anthem is extremely childish.

This game is being played in the United States, sorry but if you don't like it then maybe your Canadian teams should start improving their ****ing rosters.

I've said it seems stupid, and I realize as an educated person that it is completely ridiculous that it matters. But it does. It wouldn't be an issue if you didn't say you were going to play it.

If you weren't going to do it, then don't say you will.

You don't need to recognize Canada, the reason it's a piss off is that you said you were going to perform it, and then you didn't. Stick to your word!

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I've said it seems stupid, and I realize as an educated person that it is completely ridiculous that it matters. But it does. It wouldn't be an issue if you didn't say you were going to play it.

If you weren't going to do it, then don't say you will.
I agree that the Blues should have never said that. To me I think they are just trying too hard to gain bandwagon fans. I don't think they actually "care" about Canada. The whole thing is stupid but it's the Blues who sometimes do things like that.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I agree that the Blues should have never said that. To me I think they are just trying too hard to gain bandwagon fans. I don't think they actually "care" about Canada. The whole thing is stupid but it's the Blues who sometimes do things like that.

That's why it's frustrating. No one would care if you didn't say you were going to do it.

Big PR mistake.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
My bad, I misread what you were frustrated about. That is understandable.

All good :).

Yeah it's not that you need to pay "respect" to Canada or anything silly like that. That would be arrogant and dumb, we would never expect that.

The problem is you said you were going to perform "O Canada" then you didn't. The Blues broke their word, that does not fly well with Canadians and the type of people we are.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Because the Blues said they were going to do it. No one would care if they didn't say they would.

Silent Knight

45 RULES
Nov 6, 2010
Cypress Creek
Yes I'm aware where this game started, but when did this become a thing to do? No other teams are doing that. Why start now?

Why start now? I'd say the question is best asked to the Blues organization which is mostly Canadian even in the upper office portion of it so I guess they figured this was a nice gesture to try and make Canadian fans more interested, by "adopting a team" makes sense. I cringe though when I see people like snipes and now this reply too (or at least the part I omitted), because in my time on forums it always just continues to get worse, more mud slinging, more foolish advice for others and it usually starts with someone making some triggered comment. The stars aligned in such a way that Canadian teams sucked this year, so be it.... the fact that there are only 7 pretty much guaranteed it would happen again at some point. I don't really care one way or another, I watch hockey for hockey not for a flag, this isn't the world cup, it's the Stanley Cup playoffs. :)

EDIT: Nice to see things smoothed over, thought this was going other places when I first typed this and took so long to reply.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Why start now? I'd say the question is best asked to the Blues organization which is mostly Canadian even in the upper office portion of it so I guess they figured this was a nice gesture to try and make Canadian fans more interested, by "adopting a team" makes sense. I cringe though when I see people like snipes and now this reply too (or at least the part I omitted), because in my time on forums it always just continues to get worse, more mud slinging, more foolish advice for others and it usually starts with someone making some triggered comment. The stars aligned in such a way that Canadian teams sucked this year, so be it.... the fact that there are only 7 pretty much guaranteed it would happen again at some point. I don't really care one way or another, I watch hockey for hockey not for a flag, this isn't the world cup, it's the Stanley Cup playoffs. :)

Again, zero issue if they didn't say they would do it. They certainly have no obligation to whatsoever. I would never think another country needs to pay "homage" or anything dumb like that, just don't make a foolish PR mistake like that. It doesn't sit well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad