Half-Assed GDT: Blues vs Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Too little, too late. The time to make a push was a couple of weeks ago, before we gave up Stastny. I also don't see us keeping our first, so I hope they keep pushing, even if it's just for pride and to give some play time to the youngsters.

If Jake plays like he did these past 2 games, they have a chance.

Reactions: Bendak

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
The problem is Jake and the offense have to show up at the same time. I'm glad they played with some pride, but I know better than to have fool's hope right now. My hope for the remaining games is that some of these guys close to cracking the roster next year get some quality experience. I'm excited about the future. This season, not so much.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The problem is Jake and the offense have to show up at the same time. I'm glad they played with some pride, but I know better than to have fool's hope right now. My hope for the remaining games is that some of these guys close to cracking the roster next year get some quality experience. I'm excited about the future. This season, not so much.

My hope is that Berglund and Sobotka play out of their minds and carry us to the playoffs and teams will offer 2nd round picks for each of them at the draft.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I'm going with the Oddball approach from Kelly's Heroes: No Negative Vibes, we're winning today, if for any other reason than the Kings won't be expecting it.

Berglund gets a point, the team steamrolls and Allen plays today like he did against the Sharks.

Blues 4
Kings 0

*gets home, sees the score and stares for a long, long time* ... Should I apologize for this post?

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
Well, L.A. isn't exactly playing well, as we just saw. Kopitar has been amazing, Doughty is really good, but hte rest of the team has been iffy. Calgary is also iffy, and it's easily buyable we can hold them off. Were things get iffy is Colorado, who is playing really good hockey right now, having only lost 1 of their last 10 in regulation. If they slow down, we... have as good a shot as anyone at the 8 seed if we warm up? The problem is, if we actually want to do... anything at all in the playoffs, we probably need to climb to 7th and avoid Nashville. That means catching Dallas, which, maybe? They aren't lighting the world on fire right now.

Dallas has a brutal road trip coming up. Bishop had been hurt too.

I honestly look at it this way...you make the playoffs regardless you are one of the hottest teams in the league.

you match up with Nashville you have nothing to lose and revenge from last year. They have EVERYTHING to lose and they have gone for it all this year

Vegas doesn't scare me because I dont think they have the depth on d in a 7 game series.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Dallas has a brutal road trip coming up. Bishop had been hurt too.

I honestly look at it this way...you make the playoffs regardless you are one of the hottest teams in the league.

you match up with Nashville you have nothing to lose and revenge from last year. They have EVERYTHING to lose and they have gone for it all this year

Vegas doesn't scare me because I dont think they have the depth on d in a 7 game series.

Stars and Avs both have much harder remaining schedules than the Blues. One negative though... the Blues have 4 B2B’s

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Glad to see the Blues pull off a big win against the Kings. I'm hoping they're still in contention for a playoff spot in a few weeks when I'll be in town to watch them take on the Sharks.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Yeah, makes you wonder what could of been if we had a GM who knew what he was doing.

This is the same guy who talked about killer instinct and sticking a knife into an opponents brain and twisting it, yada yada yada, and last year before the Blues got hot and on a run, he said he didn't want to make the playoffs just to get blown out in the first round and then this year, Blues fans were looking for a deal since December to fortify the team and all he did was sit back and watch his team melt away into nothing. Wish Doug would practice what he preaches.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yeah, makes you wonder what could of been if we had a GM who knew what he was doing.

This is the same guy who talked about killer instinct and sticking a knife into an opponents brain and twisting it, yada yada yada, and last year before the Blues got hot and on a run, he said he didn't want to make the playoffs just to get blown out in the first round and then this year, Blues fans were looking for a deal since December to fortify the team and all he did was sit back and watch his team melt away into nothing. Wish Doug would practice what he preaches.
Odd...because he was after Hoffman since the beginning of the season when the Blues learned Fabbri would miss the whole season.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Odd...because he was after Hoffman since the beginning of the season when the Blues learned Fabbri would miss the whole season.

And because of that, Blues fans should give him a pass? He literally watched his team become unglued and fall back to the pack while not accomplishing anything. Just a complete inept job of management IMO.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
And because of that, Blues fans should give him a pass? He literally watched his team become unglued and fall back to the pack while not accomplishing anything. Just a complete inept job of management IMO.

Inept job? If you don't get the value your happy with from moving a top-tier prospect why not error on the side of caution. Can't just make a move to make a move. Hopefully Fabbri will be back next season, that WITH the combination of some of the kids making the team we still have plenty of a window to win with this core. You never want to piss away assets just to be a little more competitive for this much of a volatile season. We're building something sustainable here, and im on board. If DA and BA believe in our prospects this much, i do as well.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Even if Blues added Hoffman or Patches and kept Stastny, our top 9 is still no way better than Winnipeg. Even if JBow's hip didn't finally give out, our D Corps is not better than Nashville. Even if Allen comes back to form, he can't carry us through the playoffs i.e: see last year. Armstrong gave this team an honest assessment and seen that the team HE assembled is just not good enough this year. I have no doubt he could have went to Stillman and said that he could get us a stop gap and probably creep back into the playoffs but it will cost us some of our youth and Stillman was acceptable to missing the playoffs.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The players we’d like to acquire would require trading the players we want to keep. Army could have easily acquired Hoffman or Patches, but say goodbye to Thomas and Kyrou.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It takes a honest competent person to take a step back and say this sucks, and redo what they built.

This 7-2 win doesn't change the fact this team has been hot garbage since December. Nashville and Winnepeg are ridiculously stacked this year. Army openly expressed his interest in adding a top 6 player with term. He knew this team wasn't strong enough to compete on paper. Adding Hoffman now would have given half a season to judge his impact and make moves in the offseason to augment the roster. From his pressers he's sick of some of the players and wants to move them.

Armstrong doesn't get a pass for the roster he built or the contracts he gave out, but every team has them. Look at how Bowman screwed the Hawks with the trades he made and contracts he gave out. While they did win 3 cups...his inability to manage the roster caused a tailspin. Armstrong has only once spent major assets on an all in move, as opposed to gutting the future every year.

Reactions: Bendak and 67Blues

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
It takes a honest competent person to take a step back and say this sucks, and redo what they built.

This 7-2 win doesn't change the fact this team has been hot garbage since December. Nashville and Winnepeg are ridiculously stacked this year. Army openly expressed his interest in adding a top 6 player with term. He knew this team wasn't strong enough to compete on paper. Adding Hoffman now would have given half a season to judge his impact and make moves in the offseason to augment the roster. From his pressers he's sick of some of the players and wants to move them.

Armstrong doesn't get a pass for the roster he built or the contracts he gave out, but every team has them. Look at how Bowman screwed the Hawks with the trades he made and contracts he gave out. While they did win 3 cups...his inability to manage the roster caused a tailspin. Armstrong has only once spent major assets on an all in move, as opposed to gutting the future every year.
Well said. Armstrong, for all his flaws, is spot on with his assessment and shows that he can admit that this team has become a gong show. The key will be to see how he does a course correction in the off season and doesn't do anything that is a knee jerk reaction that will continue to have more of the same results. We have plenty of 3-4 line players and passengers. Hopefully he takes a strategic 2-3 year plan over the offseason and builds to that.

Reactions: Bendak and Dbrownss

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
@Bluesguru

If you're unhappy with Armstrong right now I think you will be happy when he makes a major move at the draft. He tried to get the top 6 guy everyone wanted and found the price to be too high. I certainly understand your frustration and share it but this team is flawed and DA was right to stand pat. All reports pointed to him aggressively looking to add a top 6 guy and we know we have to replace Stastny now as well. That pretty much means he HAS TO GET 2 TOP 6 PLAYERS BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS. After this debacle of a season I highly doubt he maintains a patient approach. I think we'll see him be the most aggressive he's ever been as Blues GM and he's shown willing to make a major trade at the draft so give it at least until then before losing all faith in him(although from the sounds of it you aren't going to let the Backes situation go).

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
@Bluesguru

If you're unhappy with Armstrong right now I think you will be happy when he makes a major move at the draft. He tried to get the top 6 guy everyone wanted and found the price to be too high. I certainly understand your frustration and share it but this team is flawed and DA was right to stand pat. All reports pointed to him aggressively looking to add a top 6 guy and we know we have to replace Stastny now as well. That pretty much means he HAS TO GET 2 TOP 6 PLAYERS BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS. After this debacle of a season I highly doubt he maintains a patient approach. I think we'll see him be the most aggressive he's ever been as Blues GM and he's shown willing to make a major trade at the draft so give it at least until then before losing all faith in him(although from the sounds of it you aren't going to let the Backes situation go).
One thing that has changed is he has major currency to use now in a trade. Before he didn't have much to move

Reactions: 67Blues and Bendak
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad