Half-Assed GDT: Blues vs Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
It was either hook him or let him take the shot. Don't know which I would've preferred but he shouldn't have forced a pass back to Buch.

I don't understand this logic. Its the same thing the announcers said. I'd much rather have a guy take a shot on a breakaway with some back pressure than give up a free penalty shot. An in-game break away you have to make your move quickly, otherwise someone is going to come from behind to nail you or strip the puck. The shooter is aware of that, so he has some pressure on him. It might even make him rush the shot. On a penalty shot, you have all the time in the world. You have time to think what you are going to do before you go, so you can plan your move before hand.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I have just never seen anything like this before. I mean we have had key guys out for long periods of time before but this many guys missing at once. With the outbreak in Springfield at what point does the NHL consider postponing some games like they did with the Islanders.
They postpone when there is uncontrolled outbreak. We haven't had any cases in 10 days. They don't postpone just bc you got a bunch of guys hurt.

Reactions: Mike Liut

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I don't understand this logic. Its the same thing the announcers said. I'd much rather have a guy take a shot on a breakaway with some back pressure than give up a free penalty shot. An in-game break away you have to make your move quickly, otherwise someone is going to come from behind to nail you or strip the puck. The shooter is aware of that, so he has some pressure on him. It might even make him rush the shot. On a penalty shot, you have all the time in the world. You have time to think what you are going to do before you go, so you can plan your move before hand.
The only logic I can conceive is that Perunovich may have thought that he would only get a penalty on the play rather than a penalty shot

Reactions: CoMoBlues

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Tough loss.

Had to be better on D in the 3rd.

I didn't think we had the wheels to win OT. Never figured it would be a penalty shot.

Peru is a young D man....he will learn

Reactions: TheDizee

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Tough loss.

Had to be better on D in the 3rd.

I didn't think we had the wheels to win OT. Never figured it would be a penalty shot.

Peru is a young D man....he will learn
Peru made bad play to lose puck in O zone. His hooking the guy who beat him was fine.

Nederlander

Apr 19, 2017
Colorado

Totally agree. How many times have you seen the guy fan or shoot wide or over the top? But I'm guessing it's because he's young and didn't really think it out. By far the worst part of the play was his turnover in the o-zone.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Peru made bad play to lose puck in O zone. His hooking the guy who beat him was fine.
I disagree. I would have rather have the guy take a breakaway shot under pressure than get an unimpeded penalty shot. In that situation you need enough awareness to know that a PS will be called and don't take the penalty, at least not a deliberate one like that. If you could convince me he was just trying to play defense and didn't intend to get called, I'd agree its not a bad play. But he looked like it was a deliberate and thoughtless hook.

The irony is that I think in a lot of ways this was Perunovich's best game prior to that. The fact that he was on the ice in the OT says a lot about what the coaching staff are thinking. It was a shame not to get that 2nd point, especially since it would be fun to win a game with the 4th string goalie. Oh well.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I think he was darn fine pick where we took him. I think he has done nice job filling in. But sorry, I'm not convinced he is a top 4d in NHL.
fwiw, I'm a huge fan of Mikkola, but we need to see more. Looks like a good fit for what we need on the bottom-6. Unfortunately he's forced to play with Parayko because we don't have a true #1 LHD to take the lead.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I missed tonight's game, again because of family commitments. But I will watch the replay. The bad thing about The Blues' games' time schedule when you are in USA and Canada is that family events are scheduled during game times. :ha: The good thing is that you can get a full night's sleep. :DD The bad thing about The Blues' games' time schedule when you are in Europe is that games run mostly between 1:00 and 5:00 during the late night and very early morning, and you feel like garbage if you have to work the next morning. :ha: The good thing is that you can see ALL the Blues' games for which you have access, because family events end long before the games start. :)

Last edited:

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
He should have dug in and skated.

Instead, he felt defeated and acted accordingly.
So when the puck gets picked off of Perunovich, Terry already has a step on him and Peru is about to turn around and try to catch up to Terry
upload_2021-12-13_1-28-41.png

It's a little blurry here, but Terry already has 5 strides on Perunovich AND Peru has just made his turn to try and keep up with Terry. As you can see, Terry is about half a foot in front when he first retrieves the puck
upload_2021-12-13_1-30-30.png

At this point here, Perunovich has already slashed Terry trying to lift the stick or have him lose control of the puck, but luckily wasn't called for it. It's after this slash about half a second later when Perunovich has given up and decides to intentionally hook him. What the picture doesn't explain is that Terry is losing Perunovich by like a foot at the time Perunovich actually hooks him, and the video pretty clearly shows that Terry would've more than beat Perunovich on the play.
upload_2021-12-13_1-32-26.png

I think him hooking Terry was a mistake on his part and yea, he probably should have tried to compete a bit longer on the play and cause some chaos for Terry, but I would bet that Perunovich didn't think he could do this and decided he'd rather take a chance on a penalty shot/penalty than have Terry score on the breakaway. It's not a good decision, but it is what it is. Idk if I can post youtube links, but you can find the vid on sportsnet's youtube channel

Reactions: Blueston

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Perunovich does not possess elite speed. He is a quick skater, but he has never had straight-ahead speed. It is not surprising he couldn't catch up. Now having said that, very few skaters could have caught Terry once he was away. Parayko, for example, would have had a much better chance of closing in on Terry. JBo might even have been able to catch him.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Sit the passengers, play the kids and call-ups. I’m not on the hate Scandella train but scratch him and Krug next game.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Perunovich better not get benched when Faulk returns. hes been good. so he made a mistake in a 3on3 gimmick OT, who cares. Learn from it and move on. The game does not even go to OT if Scandella ties up his man in front of the net on the second goal, I blame him more than a rookie out there in 3on3. Watching Scandella play so much and be a worthless cone makes me miss people like Gunnar and Jbo more and more.

we all need to be proud of the way they busted their asses on this homestand, this could have EASILY been a total disaster but instead they almost got every point. Tight checking, hard nosed 5on5 play, good goaltending and special teams wins is how you win in this league and in the playoffs and they did that on the homestand. the callups are playing like seasoned vets, the new goalies are standing on their heads spitting out 1st star performances. the power play is winning us games and getting points.

KEEP IT UP!

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Perunovich better not get benched when Faulk returns. hes been good. so he made a mistake in a 3on3 gimmick OT, who cares. Learn from it and move on. The game does not even go to OT if Scandella ties up his man in front of the net on the second goal, I blame him more than a rookie out there in 3on3. Watching Scandella play so much and be a worthless cone makes me miss people like Gunnar and Jbo more and more.

we all need to be proud of the way they busted their asses on this homestand, this could have EASILY been a total disaster but instead they almost got every point. Tight checking, hard nosed 5on5 play, good goaltending and special teams wins is how you win in this league and in the playoffs and they did that on the homestand. the callups are playing like seasoned vets, the new goalies are standing on their heads spitting out 1st star performances. the power play is winning us games and getting points.

KEEP IT UP!

I am VERY proud of this team and our call-ups. Got integrity, balls and heart. Yeah we lost but it’s not due to being battered it’s due to the same people not stepping up or playing at their level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad