Blues Trade Proposals Part XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
It better be a stupid offer to give up an elite skating, borderline elite playmaking RHS RW.....

Agreed, I see the impact Pasta has on that Marchand Bergeron line and think wow can you imagine with the way that Schenn and Schwartz click what would happen if you threw a guy like Kyrou on the wing there and we actually had 2 scoring lines instead of 3 checking lines. But again we'd need Thomas to be ready next year or at least a capable center for Vladdy and health for Fabbri.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Agreed, I see the impact Pasta has on that Marchand Bergeron line and think wow can you imagine with the way that Schenn and Schwartz click what would happen if you threw a guy like Kyrou on the wing there and we actually had 2 scoring lines instead of 3 checking lines. But again we'd need Thomas to be ready next year or at least a capable center for Vladdy and health for Fabbri.

So many potential directions Blues could go. I'd like to see them add three players for top 6 roles. Ideally, we already have the players in the system (Fabbri/Thomas/Kyrou) but they are unknown at this point. Need to add some insurance so we don't have a repeat of last season.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Am I the only one not sold on Kyrou? I watch his OHL highlights and watched him at WJC and really question how much of that translates to higher level. Couldn't make lineup for Chicago after last season (when Tage and Musil both did), non-factor this year in OHL playoffs, couldn't make lineup for Chicago after this season. Not saying he can't become quality pro, but Tage seems like much better bet to be top 6 winger (and that is certainly not guaranteed).

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park
Am I the only one not sold on Kyrou? I watch his OHL highlights and watched him at WJC and really question how much of that translates to higher level. Couldn't make lineup for Chicago after last season (when Tage and Musil both did), non-factor this year in OHL playoffs, couldn't make lineup for Chicago after this season. Not saying he can't become quality pro, but Tage seems like much better bet to be top 6 winger (and that is certainly not guaranteed).

I'm pretty sure 18-19 is Kyrou's first year of eligibility for the AHL.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
A lot of people speculated that he was hurt during the playoffs this year. I think if he starts in San Antonio this year, it’s because we added multiple top 6 guys through trades and free agency.

I think it’s safe to assume that Tarasenko, Schwartz, Schenn, Steen, Fabbri, Berglund, and Thomas will hold 7 of the top 9 spots. Just up to Army to see who will hold the other two.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
What exactly do you question? The WJC would be a showcase of NHL readiness outside of the few really fancy highlight dekes. He showed a sound 2 way game, and high level vision.

Making the lineup on a team the Blues have zero control over coming from juniors shouldn't even be a talking point.

Kyrou was injured right before the OHL playoffs.

Reactions: SteveR85

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
What exactly do you question? The WJC would be a showcase of NHL readiness outside of the few really fancy highlight dekes. He showed a sound 2 way game, and high level vision.

Making the lineup on a team the Blues have zero control over coming from juniors shouldn't even be a talking point.

Kyrou was injured right before the OHL playoffs.
Last year Musil and Tage both got regular icetime after their seasons ended. Kyrou didn't- played 1 game and then nothing further. And fwiw, he was actually pretty crappy in OHL playoffs last year.

This year he again didn't (although we no longer controlled) get in lineup. I can't speak to whether he was hurt, but he did play for Sarnia in playoffs (as opposed to Kaspick who missed last several games for his junior team). If he had injury may help explain lack of production in this year's playoffs, but haven't seen any details on what he may have injured so seems fairly speculative.

As to WJC, yes he played well but to me he didn't really drive the play. I know Kyrou put up good amount of points, but Thomas seemed much more impressive to me.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Last year Musil and Tage both got regular icetime after their seasons ended. Kyrou didn't- played 1 game and then nothing further. And fwiw, he was actually pretty crappy in OHL playoffs last year.

This year he again didn't (although we no longer controlled) get in lineup. I can't speak to whether he was hurt, but he did play for Sarnia in playoffs (as opposed to Kaspick who missed last several games for his junior team). If he had injury may help explain lack of production in this year's playoffs, but haven't seen any details on what he may have injured so seems fairly speculative.

As to WJC, yes he played well but to me he didn't really drive the play. I know Kyrou put up good amount of points, but Thomas seemed much more impressive to me.
I can't speak to why those 2 got more time over him but with that said, its 2 seasons ago. I didnt investigate what happened to him but he was wearing a full cage going into the playoffs. Even then he wasnt exactly a ghost, his linemates couldn't cash in on his plays.

For WJC, Kyrou was the engine on his line and was the most impressive player on the PP. I actually found him better and more impactful then Thomas. But he's 2yrs older them Thomas, so it not really a thing. Kyrou is far more capable offensively then he showed but he played to the system the coach wanted. That to me speaks volumes for a guy who's complete game is a question mark

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I can't speak to why those 2 got more time over him but with that said, its 2 seasons ago. I didnt investigate what happened to him but he was wearing a full cage going into the playoffs. Even then he wasnt exactly a ghost, his linemates couldn't cash in on his plays.

For WJC, Kyrou was the engine on his line and was the most impressive player on the PP. I actually found him better and more impactful then Thomas. But he's 2yrs older them Thomas, so it not really a thing. Kyrou is far more capable offensively then he showed but he played to the system the coach wanted. That to me speaks volumes for a guy who's complete game is a question mark
I certainly hope he reaches his potential, but failing to get any ice time in back to back AHL trials is a major red flag, especially for someone so slight.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
He joined Chicago after his OHL season ended each of the past 2 years.
Playing for Chicago was not an option for Kyrou this season once he failed to make the Blues.

The CHL and NHL have a transfer agreement in place that says that a player drafted out of the CHL must be assigned back to the CHL if the player is not assigned to the NHL roster. This restriction is in place until the player is 20 years old (age on Sept. 15th, IIRC)...usually after two years of post-draft play. Only once the prospect's OHL season is over can he be assigned to the AHL.

Musil faced the same restrictions, but has finally aged out of them. Thompson did not have those restrictions at all because he went the NCAA route.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I certainly hope he reaches his potential, but failing to get any ice time in back to back AHL trials is a major red flag, especially for someone so slight.
I dont see it as some major red flag honestly especially when Chicago is concerned.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Playing for Chicago was not an option for Kyrou this season once he failed to make the Blues.

The CHL and NHL have a transfer agreement in place that says that a player drafted out of the CHL must be assigned back to the CHL if the player is not assigned to the NHL roster. This restriction is in place until the player is 20 years old (age on Sept. 15th, IIRC)...usually after two years of post-draft play. Only once the prospect's OHL season is over can he be assigned to the AHL.

Musil faced the same restrictions, but has finally aged out of them. Thompson did not have those restrictions at all because he went the NCAA route.
Once a player's junior season is over these don't apply. This is why Musil and Kyrou were eligible last year. Musil got in several games and made an impact. Kyrou got in 1, didn't, and then was released last year. This year he was assigned to Chicago after his OHL season and didn't get in a game. Tage didn't have same restrictions, but he signed after his NCAA season last year and played good number of games for Wolves. Same with Walman, Point being, it wasn't Wolves not playing kids. They apparently didn't think Kyrou could help them even while playing other similarly situated players. You can choose to ignore that as a red flag, but everything I presented here is factual.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I dont see it as some major red flag honestly especially when Chicago is concerned.
I hope you are right. But they didn't have any use for him a year ago when Blues controlled them and they consistently played Musil, Tage, and Walman. That concerns me.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I hope you are right. But they didn't have any use for him a year ago when Blues controlled them and they consistently played Musil, Tage, and Walman. That concerns me.
Could be position of need. Musil and Tage can play down the lineup

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Once a player's junior season is over these don't apply. This is why Musil and Kyrou were eligible last year. Musil got in several games and made an impact. Kyrou got in 1, didn't, and then was released last year. This year he was assigned to Chicago after his OHL season and didn't get in a game. Tage didn't have same restrictions, but he signed after his NCAA season last year and played good number of games for Wolves. Same with Walman, Point being, it wasn't Wolves not playing kids. They apparently didn't think Kyrou could help them even while playing other similarly situated players. You can choose to ignore that as a red flag, but everything I presented here is factual.
Musil is a bottom six player, and that's where they used him in limited minutes. Musil, to his credit, performed well. Thompson, IIRC, also played in their bottom six at the beginning, and he joined them much earlier in the season than Kyrou did. He also broke into the NHL in a bottom six role. Walman started off with bottom pairing minutes as well, IIRC.

Kyrou is a top six player, and would clearly be ineffective in a bottom six role.

If you think there was any chance that Chicago was going to throw Kyrou into their top 6 at the end of the season and roll with him, I honestly don't know what to say. That's not how Chicago operates. They sign AHL vets for those important roles, and they operate to win. There was zero chance that Kyrou was going to come in at the last minute and displace an established player like Bennett or Hyka who was already putting up a point per game for the team in that role.

If you think Kyrou not being a fit for a bottom six role is a red flag, that's fine, but I don't share that opinion. We can save the "red flag" stuff for next year when Kyrou will actually have a legitimate shot to carve out a role for himself.

I honestly can't believe we're talking about red flags for Kyrou at the end of a season where he was named player of the year for his league, and he led team Canada in scoring at the WJC. If anything, this was a wildly encouraging year for Kyrou, not a cautionary one.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Musil is a bottom six player, and that's where they used him in limited minutes. Musil, to his credit, performed well. Thompson, IIRC, also played in their bottom six at the beginning, and he joined them much earlier in the season than Kyrou did. He also broke into the NHL in a bottom six role. Walman started off with bottom pairing minutes as well, IIRC.

Kyrou is a top six player, and would clearly be ineffective in a bottom six role.

If you think there was any chance that Chicago was going to throw Kyrou into their top 6 at the end of the season and roll with him, I honestly don't know what to say. That's not how Chicago operates. They sign AHL vets for those important roles, and they operate to win. There was zero chance that Kyrou was going to come in at the last minute and displace an established player like Bennett or Hyka who was already putting up a point per game for the team in that role.

If you think Kyrou not being a fit for a bottom six role is a red flag, that's fine, but I don't share that opinion. We can save the "red flag" stuff for next year when Kyrou will actually have a legitimate shot to carve out a role for himself.

I honestly can't believe we're talking about red flags for Kyrou at the end of a season where he was named player of the year for his league, and he led team Canada in scoring at the WJC. If anything, this was a wildly encouraging year for Kyrou, not a cautionary one.
I have my doubts, but hopefully y'all are right.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

He was injured prior to the start of the playoffs took a high check. Someone said he was wearing a cage, but I didn't watch any highlights so I don't know that for sure.

As for red flags, I don't see the argument based on not getting into any games for the Wolves. To say the Blues/Wolves relationship was anything other then lousy may be an understatement. There is a reason some of our prospects wound up in other AHL teams. Our AHL affiliation was a mess. Due to San Antonio not making the playoffs - JK wasn't going to get any playing time in the AHL when he was assigned to the Wolves. I would go further and say I believe he joined them when the playoffs were getting ready to begin. Had he been there during regular season, it might have been a different story. Like the last week of the regular season.

He has a lot of work to do on his overall game - same with every young player, but I think he can be a very solid high end scoring forward.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I would be willing to bet money Kyrou is on the of one of the top 3 lines for the Blues at the start of next season. It's not a fluke that he was named the OHL MVP. His defensive game needs some work but since this team struggles to score goals, I think he'll carve out a spot for himself.

I concur with @Frenzy31. I remember reading about his having to wear a cage in at least the first playoff series and many writers and analysts were wondering if that was affecting him in any way. Who knows. Maybe they were also focusing on stopping him in the playoffs.

Kyrou isn't a prospect I'd be overly concerned about right now. Thompson (rough year), Blais (staying healthy), and Walman are on my concerned list. Kostin could get there if he has a bad year in the AHL. Call me optimistic about Kostin, but I think he's going to shine and get a call up at some point this season.

Reactions: STLBLUES44

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I would be willing to bet money Kyrou is on the of one of the top 3 lines for the Blues at the start of next season.

I don't know about that one...it's tough. There's definitely a scenario that sees him on the RW in the top-9 on Day 1.
There are also about a dozen *more likely* scenarios that sees him starting the season in San Antonio. Armstrong is almost certainly going to bring in an established forward from another organization...and if that number turns into two rather than one, Kyrou is going to be in a numbers game along with Thompson, Sanford, Fabbri, Blais, Kostin, Foley, Musil & Stevens for perhaps a single spot. I certainly wouldn't be betting any money on Kyrou breaking camp just knowing the circumstances...at least not until the Blues are able to shed a few people currently on the 23-man roster.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I don't know about that one...it's tough. There's definitely a scenario that sees him on the RW in the top-9 on Day 1.
There are also about a dozen *more likely* scenarios that sees him starting the season in San Antonio. Armstrong is almost certainly going to bring in an established forward from another organization...and if that number turns into two rather than one, Kyrou is going to be in a numbers game along with Thompson, Sanford, Fabbri, Blais, Kostin, Foley, Musil & Stevens for perhaps a single spot. I certainly wouldn't be betting any money on Kyrou breaking camp just knowing the circumstances...at least not until the Blues are able to shed a few people currently on the 23-man roster.

I still think Armstrong could bring in two top 6 players and Kyrou is still in the top 6. If he does bring in two, I'd almost guarantee that Fabbri is one the players who's leaving, so you'd still have a wing spot open on one of the top 6 lines. I'm also assuming that the top 6 players are a center and a left winger. I really don't foresee how the OHL MVP and the OHL Playoff MVP can't make this roster because either would have been arguably better than Thompson, Blais, or the parade of other failures last season that were the top 9 fill ins. I forgot to add that I'm also assuming one of Sobotka or Berglund is traded and Steen is on Thomas's left wing on the 3rd line. I may be hopeful, but it seems the most logical scenario. So, since it's the most logical, it won't happen. YAY Blues!

Reactions: SteveR85

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I still think Armstrong could bring in two top 6 players and Kyrou is still in the top 6. If he does bring in two, I'd almost guarantee that Fabbri is one the players who's leaving, so you'd still have a wing spot open on one of the top 6 lines. I'm also assuming that the top 6 players are a center and a left winger. I really don't foresee how the OHL MVP and the OHL Playoff MVP can't make this roster because either would have been arguably better than Thompson, Blais, or the parade of other failures last season that were the top 9 fill ins. I forgot to add that I'm also assuming one of Sobotka or Berglund is traded and Steen is on Thomas's left wing on the 3rd line. I may be hopeful, but it seems the most logical scenario. So, since it's the most logical, it won't happen. YAY Blues!

Give me dat:
Fabbri-Tavares-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Steen-Thomas-Thompson/Kostin

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3