Blues Trade Proposals Part XXXIV

Trade bait at TDL or off-season: Sobotka or Berglund?

• Sobotka

• Berglund

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
As much as Babcock loves him some Edmundson, Lou would not even let Armstrong finish a statement. Doesn't matter how many cookies DA is willing to give up.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
What options are there though?

Sure, if Tavares is unsigned at the end of the season then Armstrong should be aggressive in trying to get him before UFA. Pick and prospect is better than losing him for nothing, signing an 8 year deal and traded is better than 7 year deal in UFA for Tavares and we can afford to move a decent prospect & pick. That's all rather hopeful.

Or going after someone like Reinhart and hoping for the best? Or just wait for Thomas?

I think Reinhart would actually be a good target with BUFF being an absolute mess. Worst case scenario he can play RW a position in which we have a need. Problem will be his next contract and what that entails.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Anyone else think that Marner rumor is totally bogus? Is that even a legit source? Sounds like some Eklund cow dung...

Reactions: BleedBlue14

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It’s frustrating how few quality RWers are anywhere near the market right now. Reilly Smith with VGK might be about as good as we can do, but he’s overpaid and streaky, not to mention Vegas is probably going to make the playoffs this year (which is nuts). Not sure what we could offer them for Smith that would be at all appealing, considering their depth at goalie and defense. Okposo with Buffalo makes me feel similarly, but I suspect that we’ve had eyes for him for awhile and I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see us pull the trigger there (except he has a NMC and idk what the terms of it are). Idk, this is going to be a weird deadline and I’m sure that whoever we end up getting, if anyone, will be totally unexpected like Schenn was. All of these injuries are just adding more complications into the mix. If we could manage to get Nino out of Minny that would be the ideal outcome, but that will almost certainly never happen

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I think Reinhart would actually be a good target with BUFF being an absolute mess. Worst case scenario he can play RW a position in which we have a need. Problem will be his next contract and what that entails.
I wonder if they would actually be open to moving him. When I look at what Drouin returned, I suspect that Buffalo's ask would be significant based on his decent production in the past couple of seasons and draft pedigree.

Wouldn't be surprised if they were focused on Dunn or Thomas.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I mostly brought it up as a conversation piece. IDK if they are credible though.
Ahhh gotcha. Well as long as folks aren't taking it too seriously, don't let me rain on the parade.

I thought Marner was pretty much a pure RW but you mentioned he can play C...do you that like how Schwartz technically CAN play C, but should 100% be on the wing?

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
Ahhh gotcha. Well as long as folks aren't taking it too seriously, don't let me rain on the parade.

I thought Marner was pretty much a pure RW but you mentioned he can play C...do you that like how Schwartz technically CAN play C, but should 100% be on the wing?
51% face off this year....on like 50 face off chances lol. I think he should be a RW but he could fill in C better than Steen (not saying much i know) .he is only 20 so he could still have C ability, but i would 100% be okay going after him as a RW only

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
The only appealing player from the Sabres is ROR for me (Eichel is obviously off limits). He would be a good Stastny replacement if we're not looking to re-sign him. Okposo has health issues and is overpaid while on the decline of his career. Kane is a head case and while he can score goals, he doesn't provide any other benefit to the team. Reinhart is just a meh player.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
What options are there though?

Sure, if Tavares is unsigned at the end of the season then Armstrong should be aggressive in trying to get him before UFA. Pick and prospect is better than losing him for nothing, signing an 8 year deal and traded is better than 7 year deal in UFA for Tavares and we can afford to move a decent prospect & pick. That's all rather hopeful.

Or going after someone like Reinhart and hoping for the best? Or just wait for Thomas?

I can come up with some options but everything is a risk and there's no guarantee with any of them.

Army isn't going to be able to trade for anything close to a Matthews type young center. Teams just won't give them up & everyone knows that. He has at least 4 options for upgrading at center:

1. Wait for free agency and and hope beyond all hope he can sign JT which is probably the least likely of options.
2. Trade for a young highly touted NHL player and hope like hell they can live up to expectations as a center, ie: Zacha, Bennett, (Larkin to some degree), McCann, Galchenyuk, etc... type player
3. Trade for a more established C like ROR, Zetterberg, Giroux, Stepan, Thornton.. Not saying any of these guys are available but these are all established centers on lower end teams (Giroux plays wing now but has played C)
4. Wait it out and hope like hell Thomas or Thompson transition to C in the NHL and are that impact player

It's a gamble no matter which way Army decides. I still think he'll get a Vrbata type player and be happy to make the playoffs and hope for a 2nd round.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The only appealing player from the Sabres is ROR for me (Eichel is obviously off limits). He would be a good Stastny replacement if we're not looking to re-sign him. Okposo has health issues and is overpaid while on the decline of his career. Kane is a head case and while he can score goals, he doesn't provide any other benefit to the team. Reinhart is just a meh player.

I know I'm in the minority, but if Buffalo retained salary, I'd absolutely be interested in Okposo. 2RW solved for the next 4 years. The injury was a concussion that he's come back from. The Sabres are a tire fire. If you can buy low on this guy, I think he's easily a bounce back 50-55 point player. At $4.5M-5M/year? Absolutely. That’s less than JBo and Steen make and probably about as cheap as you can get a comparable replacement.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I know I'm in the minority, but if Buffalo retained salary, I'd absolutely be interested in Okposo. 2RW solved for the next 4 years. The injury was a concussion that he's come back from. The Sabres are a tire fire. If you can buy low on this guy, I think he's easily a bounce back 50-55 point player. At $5M/year? Absolutely.
Okposo had some major health issue, and i don't think it was concusion related. Im not even remotely interested in him. That's another candidate for an anchor contract.

Blues should look to just add a cheap whateer guy like Vrbata. For the lack of RW available...id rather just wait on the prospects as most of them should be ready for looks next year. If the Blues could add a guy like Marner(just for example) without pulling from the main roster core, then go for it. Other wise its a case of robbing peter to pay paul. I am not at all comfortable with removing Eddy or Dunn to add to the forward group.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I know we have been over this multiple times, but Kapanen out of Toronto seems more do-able than Marner. Fast, RHS RW. I've been iffy about him in the past, as he can't seem to crack the Leads lineup, and he also seems to limit his play to the perimeter. He would be a lot cheaper than Marner. Perhaps a deal around Schmaltz when we are healthy?
'

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Okposo had some major health issue, and i don't think it was concusion related. Im not even remotely interested in him. That's another candidate for an anchor contract.

Blues should look to just add a cheap whateer guy like Vrbata. For the lack of RW available...id rather just wait on the prospects as most of them should be ready for looks next year. If the Blues could add a guy like Marner(just for example) without pulling from the main roster core, then go for it. Other wise its a case of robbing peter to pay paul. I am not at all comfortable with removing Eddy or Dunn to add to the forward group.

He was sidelined with that mystery illness that was later revealed to be an adverse reaction to medication he was taking to treat the symptoms of said concussion. A lot to like about a healthy Okposo, but there seem to be a lot of risks involved too. He'd likely slot in as our 2RW for the foreseeable future, but not sure he's the guy to target considering his large contract and what it would take to get him. But if the Blues could fit his contract in long term, he's worth considering I suppose.

I agree, I'd rather them aim lower/cheaper unless a better fit comes along.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I know we have been over this multiple times, but Kapanen out of Toronto seems more do-able than Marner. Fast, RHS RW. I've been iffy about him in the past, as he can't seem to crack the Leads lineup, and he also seems to limit his play to the perimeter. He would be a lot cheaper than Marner. Perhaps a deal around Schmaltz when we are healthy?
'
Kapanen is a player that I like, but I don't think he is a very good target at this point.

While I am sure we will continue to push Thompson at centre in the AHL, I think he'll be a RW in the NHL. That would mean we have Thompson, Kyrou and Kostin as RW prospects. We have to be hopeful that one of them can claim a roster spot out of camp next season.

Thomas and Barbashev will be pushing for a roster spot at centre.

Fabbri is an unknown next season.

Adding a fourth inexperienced/unknown to a roster looking to win isn't ideal. He also isn't ideally placed to help us make a push this season. With our respective prospect depth at RW & D, I'd say Schmaltz is more of a need for us... we just need to open up the roster spot for Schmaltz. If we want Kapanen, then it should be a forward prospect swap.

I agree with the others who are talking about Vrbata being a likely target, but I'd also think that is a mistake. We should be looking for an experienced, natural RW to fill that role for the next few seasons.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think everyone shares that sentiment....but he kinda fills a hole and should be dirt cheap.
I guess I just feel like he would be another Miller. He is a player that is a theoretically better player than is on our roster, but once he gets on the team he actually doesn’t help.

Reactions: 2 Minute Minor

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I guess I just feel like he would be another Miller. He is a player that is a theoretically better player than is on our roster, but once he gets on the team he actually doesn’t help.
I dont disagree, but he's a right hand shot that's good at sitting in the soft area's and rifling 1 timers. I think he could be good on Stastny's wing. If he's not, no big deal as the cost shouldn't be high to get him. I just dont want to see DA try for a grand slam(Miller) and fail again. Vrbata would be a bunt....doesn't look impressive but could eventually result in a RBI(i hate baseball btw...just seemed like a good analogy

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

I see where you’re going but Vrbata, or a similar caliber of player, won’t cost near as much as Miller did so I don’t think it’s a great anology.

Sure, a “hockey trade” where the Blues get a RW that fits the team that will be here a few years would be ideal but that guy might not be available...or might cost way more than we can afford if he is available.

Someone like Vrbata isn’t as exciting of a splash but that type of move seems more reasonable to actually pull off.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
If we're going to trade for Vrbata, why not just give one of the kids a chance in that role?

I don't see what difference a slow, aging, rather ineffective player will do for us.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
If we're going to trade for Vrbata, why not just give one of the kids a chance in that role?

I don't see what difference a slow, aging, rather ineffective player will do for us.

Maybe because Vrbata is currently better than those guys? Vrbata had 55 pts last season. And 11 in 26 games so far this season. That’s not great but better than I think could reasonably be expected from Jaskin, Paajarvi, TT, Blais, Kostin etc.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Maybe because Vrbata is currently better than those guys? Vrbata had 55 pts last season. And 11 in 26 games so far this season. That’s not great but better than I think could reasonably be expected from Jaskin, Paajarvi, TT, Blais, Kostin etc.
That's 34 points over 82 games. What use is it to waste assets on a third line scoring winger who isn't anything special defensively and will literally be here for what's left of this season?

Adding Vrbata isn't going to fix any scoring woes. We need a guy who can create offense, who can be the driver on a line.

If you wanna find a support player who will produce on the PP, call up TT and simply play him with Stastny and Steen/Sobotka. We don't need to waste assets on Vrbata. The reason TT didn't produce is because he can't drive the play himself and Yeo put him with the elite offensive talents of Sundqvist and Paajarvi.

Reactions: Edgar Carrow

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I see where you’re going but Vrbata, or a similar caliber of player, won’t cost near as much as Miller did so I don’t think it’s a great anology.

Sure, a “hockey trade” where the Blues get a RW that fits the team that will be here a few years would be ideal but that guy might not be available...or might cost way more than we can afford if he is available.

Someone like Vrbata isn’t as exciting of a splash but that type of move seems more reasonable to actually pull off.

i was only referencing Miller when it came to his performance before and during his time on our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad