Blues Trade Proposals Part XXXIV

Trade bait at TDL or off-season: Sobotka or Berglund?

• Sobotka

• Berglund

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
You said you think there are better fish out there though. There may not be
I did because I believe there are. No one knew Schenn was even available when DA and Hextall did that trade. As far as I can tell, E. Kane is the only widely publicly reported player to be available, and not fanbase available. If my choices are E. Kane, waiting it out for closer to TDL, or not getting him, I'd take the latter two before getting E. Kane, especially for any good asset. 1st Rd Pick, Thomas, Kyrou, or Walman.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I did because I believe there are. No one knew Schenn was even available when DA and Hextall did that trade. As far as I can tell, E. Kane is the only widely publicly reported player to be available, and not fanbase available. If my choices are E. Kane, waiting it out for closer to TDL, or not getting him, I'd take the latter two before getting E. Kane, especially for any good asset. 1st Rd Pick, Thomas, Kyrou, or Walman.
Fair enough. Im not advocating for Kane. I think if there is a long term plan in place, it may be ok.

I expect if a d prospect is moved...its Walman/Schmaltz. Which would be ok with me.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
I still want Gustav Nyquist... It will be cheaper than Hoffman/Kane and I like him as a better fit. IDC about left handed RW, he is a good player that immediately makes our top 6 much better.

49/26/91- I think Terry and BBshv have great chemistry and need to be on a line together
20/10/14- Nyquist and Schenn would be fun to watch and having Schwartz with them in FEB :bow:
71/21/23- Sobi should be on the 3rd IMO, And ive been really impressed with Jaskin!
9/70/28- Typical big 4th

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I have no interest in Kane. Lacks hockey sense, is a left shooting LW when we need a right shooting RW, will require a good asset going the other way and then there’s the character concerns. I have virtually no interest in the guy.

Hornqvist would be perfect but I don’t see it as very feasible. PIT would have to become sellers, the Blues would have to move out a good chunk of cap space (more than Gunnar most likely) and PIT would have to actually want the pieces the Blues would want to give up and need to give up to make the cap work. Just incredibly unlikely IMO.

Gallagher seems a little more likely but still quite the long shot IMO. But it’s hard to say who all is available though and what the other team would want in return so...anything is possible but I’m not getting my hopes up.

I’d see what the price would be for guys like Vrbata, Vanek, Letestu and a few others.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
My main gripe about Kane is also his hockey sense. He isn't the type of player that will elevate his line and he's not anything to write home about in the defensive zone. I feel like he'll be end up being another Chris Stewart for us.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Sabres fan here...character issues don’t really seem to be a big deal but the IQ issues are. He has a rare combo of size, strength, speed, athleticism that would make him a great fit for some teams, but if you’re planning on having him play a significant role on your top PP, I’d look elsewhere.

This is a dude who can consistently create goals out of nothing at even strength with nobodies on his line, which could be absolutely perfect for some teams. But I wouldn’t get him if you’re looking to bolster your first PP squad, or someone to play on the top line. You play him with possession guys who struggle to put it in the net (our coach hasn’t figured that out).

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Grabner is still my realistic-ish add. Speedy RW with a scoring touch. UFA to be so that could help the price a bit but I’d assume the NYR would want a first at least.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Grabner is still my realistic-ish add. Speedy RW with a scoring touch. UFA to be so that could help the price a bit but I’d assume the NYR would want a first at least.
Rangers are a win now team....unless they crash and burn, they wont be sellers

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Gallagher is an obvious target for what the Blues are needing. My question is, if the Blues need a solid #2/#3 RW, who are some other good targets that are more off the radar? If their team is in the playoff picture, what is that team needing? If their team is not in the playoff picture, what kind of futures would they need? I'm looking at RW targets here, but not top line RW guys. How would you rank them and what would you give up? They can play another wing or C right now, but looking at RHS, off the radar, able to play RW targets.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Gallagher is an obvious target for what the Blues are needing. My question is, if the Blues need a solid #2/#3 RW, who are some other good targets that are more off the radar? If their team is in the playoff picture, what is that team needing? If their team is not in the playoff picture, what kind of futures would they need? I'm looking at RW targets here, but not top line RW guys. How would you rank them and what would you give up? They can play another wing or C right now, but looking at RHS, off the radar, able to play RW targets.
I'd be camped outside Bergevin's office. Looking at Gallagher or Galchenyuk. That team is a tire fire.

I still remember the uproar from Ott saying that team's system is Price.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I'd be camped outside Bergevin's office. Looking at Gallagher or Galchenyuk. That team is a tire fire.

I still remember the uproar from Ott saying that team's system is Price.
I agree on the Gal guys, but I'm saying OFF the radar targets. Like, if the Blues traded Steen right now, no one would have known he's available. It'd likely be a "hockey trade" type of deal. Something like that.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I agree on the Gal guys, but I'm saying OFF the radar targets. Like, if the Blues traded Steen right now, no one would have known he's available. It'd likely be a "hockey trade" type of deal. Something like that.

Maybe Comeau, doesn't solve a whole lot but is putting up a decent campaign at the moment could more than likely be swapped for Gunnar 1 for 1. There aren't a lot of teams that are pretty much out of it right now so it's a bit difficult to project who would possibly be a candidate to be traded until the offseason when all bets are off.

I'd say the only teams that are for sure sellers at the moment would be:
CAR, FLA, DET, OTT, BUF, ARI, EDM(?), MTL (?), COL, VAN

Duclair could possibly be another name that could be of interest. He's listed as a RW/LW on cap friendly even though he is left handed.

Maybe Justin Williams as well. Not exactly a fan of his cap hit or sure of how it would be able to be worked out cap wise as we are sort of against the cap. He also has a M-NTC. Derek Ryan from Car is sort of a low ceiling stop gap type of move as well.

Ideally as TDL comes closer and Anaheim gets healthier if SJ falls out of contention they have a few nice pieces that could possibly fill a hole and be doable cap wise (Hansen, Ward, Hertl, Karlsson could be a minor boost to the 3rd line as well.)

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Evander Kane is not worth it to the Blues. The only thing I’d hate more than getting him as a rental would be getting him long-term. He’s not good on the power play, and I don’t care if he’s matured - he’s a douche. One of the things that makes me love this team so much is that everyone appears to not be an asshole, and are all team-first guys.

Trading Schmaltz, Blais, Thompson, Thomas, Walman, Kyrou, or Barbashev is not worth it. I’d rather do nothing than acquire him for that price.

Please find someone else.

Last edited:

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I mean I don’t really want Kane either but if the main piece going back prospect wise was Blais or Schmaltz I’d for sure do it.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Why do the Blues need anyone? Sometimes rentals/TDL acquisitions work out great (Gaborik), but usually they don't work out (almost everyone else). The only ones who would move the needle on offense for the Blues will cost a painful amount of futures.

Kane is the only true top 6 guy available but that's only a move you make if you want to re-sign him, or if you really think this is the year you can win it and you want to go all in on an expensive rental. If I was Nashville, I'd probably do it. But pretty sure I'd sit tight and do nothing if I was the Blues.

Reactions: simon in canada

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Why do the Blues need anyone? Sometimes rentals/TDL acquisitions work out great (Gaborik), but usually they don't work out (almost everyone else). The only ones who would move the needle on offense for the Blues will cost a painful amount of futures.

Kane is the only true top 6 guy available but that's only a move you make if you want to re-sign him, or if you really think this is the year you can win it and you want to go all in on an expensive rental. If I was Nashville, I'd probably do it. But pretty sure I'd sit tight and do nothing if I was the Blues.

The Blues most glaring need right now is a middle 6 RW with 1-2 years left on their deal. The depth behind Tarasenko is pretty bleh and they’ve been trying a rotation of options in that spot without much of a result. They have Kyrou/Thompson/Kostin coming up who hopefully can fill that need as soon as next year, but currently, it’s the clear hole in an otherwise solid roster when Schwartz comes back. Wayne Simmonds or Mats Zuccarello would be ideal fits IMO but are not realistic, especially Zucc since NYR are likely not selling pieces at this point.

Which is why given the fact he’s a LW and all the off ice history, the reaction to Kane has been lukewarm at best.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
If Ottawa needs to clear space for a Karlsson contract, we should be making calls about Stone. Big, top-6 RW who fits our core group. Their defense is bad, their goalie situation is rapidly worsening, and if I remember correctly they’ve been in on Berglund in the past as well. If the goal for them is to dump cap space (knowing that Stone is due a hefty raise), a package of cheaper vets on multi-year contracts on the good side of $4mil could be very alluring. With the prospects we have, we could absorb that loss and still make our top-6 extremely potent. It would probably spell the end of Stastny here, but for Stone I’m willing to take that loss. Perchance to dream, anyways

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I want absolutely nothing to do with E. Kane! Another LHS LW, forcing more players to their off-sides. He apparently won't help the PP. Then there is the character issue. I don't think I'm allowed to post about the specifics on HF, and to be fair, Kane has never been charged. The nature of the allegations, however, are particularly repugnant to me. (I don't mean to sound moralistic, I had a family member deal with a similar incident, and believe me she was devastated ). Back to hockey, Kane is also a pure rental. I can't believe some posters would give up a prospect like Tage Thompson. I hope Armstrong steers very clear of Kane.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If Ottawa needs to clear space for a Karlsson contract, we should be making calls about Stone. Big, top-6 RW who fits our core group. Their defense is bad, their goalie situation is rapidly worsening, and if I remember correctly they’ve been in on Berglund in the past as well. If the goal for them is to dump cap space (knowing that Stone is due a hefty raise), a package of cheaper vets on multi-year contracts on the good side of $4mil could be very alluring. With the prospects we have, we could absorb that loss and still make our top-6 extremely potent. It would probably spell the end of Stastny here, but for Stone I’m willing to take that loss. Perchance to dream, anyways
Eh...There's some logic to it but it doesn't make alot of sense either. If they keep EK then they need Stone. At the same time I can see money being an issue. Berglund isn't waiving though so its shut down right there. For giggles though. We'd have to pay through the nose for him.

Berglund+ 2 prospects not named Thomas

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Is there any way to acquire Kane without giving up TT, Kostin, Thomas and Kyrou?

Walman + Blais + 2018 2nd + 2019 1st?

Kane would be a beast on the Blues. He’s exactly what this team needs. I just hate rentals. With the cap going up and some creative financial work, I think we can sign him long term.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Eh...There's some logic to it but it doesn't make alot of sense either. If they keep EK then they need Stone. At the same time I can see money being an issue. Berglund isn't waiving though so its shut down right there. For giggles though. We'd have to pay through the nose for him.

Berglund+ 2 prospects not named Thomas

Why wouldn’t Berglund waive? Also his NMC is only a 20-team list, so there’s a chance Ottawa is one of his 11 teams anyways. The vet on a cost-controlled contract could also be named Sobotka too, fwiw.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Why wouldn’t Berglund waive? Also his NMC is only a 20-team list, so there’s a chance Ottawa is one of his 11 teams anyways. The vet on a cost-controlled contract could also be named Sobotka too, fwiw.
Bergy isnt dumb. If he's wanting to avoid Ott then they're on there. There have been Bergy to Ottawa rumors for 2yrs. Good point on sobokta though

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Is there any way to acquire Kane without giving up TT, Kostin, Thomas and Kyrou?

Walman + Blais + 2018 2nd + 2019 1st?

Kane would be a beast on the Blues. He’s exactly what this team needs. I just hate rentals. With the cap going up and some creative financial work, I think we can sign him long term.
He is a 26 year old UFA who is having a career year.

Looking over the past 4 years and he has averaged 35 points a year, missed an average of 23 games a season and a least 12 in any one season. Even if we want to look at his PPG numbers, he is still only a 49 point player per 82 games over that stretch.

Now he will be looking for a long term, big money deal based on one seasons play. We already have Schwartz, Steen, Fabbri and Sobotka as primarily LW'ers; $14.6m+ Fabbri's cap hit.

It would be crazy to pay the premium rental price for Kane, then trade more assets to give him a $6m+ long term deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->