Blues Trade Proposals Part XXXIV

Trade bait at TDL or off-season: Sobotka or Berglund?

• Sobotka

• Berglund

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Perron was shoehorned into RW as that’s what the Blues desperately needed him to play. He’s much better at LW though. And he shoots lefty. The Blues desperately need a right shot, particularly on the PP. Having virtually all lefties really limits options.

I’m usually not so concerned about handedness among forwards but a righty is really needed on this team.

Perron shoots right-handed

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Nash is intriguing but only at a steeply reduced price. I'm talking at least $2-3 mil retained by NYR. Perron doesn't need to come here a 3rd time, but this doesn't matter because Vegas won't trade him. Vrbata is a solid rental as a pure rental...depending on the price. I would still circle back to the Canadiens if they continue to sit this far out of a playoff spot. Galchenyuk has a bad contract in terms of his production, but he's still a potential candidate to explode in a different circumstance. Gallagher would be the best choice on that team. Kapanen from the Leafs is another good choice but again, what's the cost? I'm pretty sure most teams realize the Blues need a little help at forward, but many are going to be asking for Kyrou or Thomas in that deal. I'd almost rather see those two get a shot with the Blues rather than the "sure thing" of a veteran player who might have a high contract and prevent a potential move over the off-season.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Perron was shoehorned into RW as that’s what the Blues desperately needed him to play. He’s much better at LW though. And he shoots lefty. The Blues desperately need a right shot, particularly on the PP. Having virtually all lefties really limits options.

I’m usually not so concerned about handedness among forwards but a righty is really needed on this team.
Perron's a righty silly.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
They're nothing alike though..... we need to add a sniper, plus Im sure Perron wouldn't be cheap from Vegas.
We don't need a sniper if that "sniper" is freaking Radim Vrbata.

4 goals in 27 games? Yeah what a sniper.

Perron is miles better than Vrbata at this point in their careers. He'd be perfect next to Schenn and Schwartz when he gets back.

The "sniper" label is used to put a team together in the video games. Put Steen on the 3rd line with Bergy and (Jaskin/Blais/Thompson/Barby) and they'll score their fair share of goals.

Last edited:

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
If I'm DA im targeting Jon Marchessault. Right handed. Can play wing. 750,000 cap hit and we have plenty in the reserves to get a deal done without sacrificing our future

We'll see if Vegas can stay a float until the deadline

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Can't really say I'm on board with Vrbata.

First off, how cheap are we talking for him? I really don't want to give up any of the prospects with a chance of playing in the NHL. Of course that means no Kostin, Kyrou, Thompson, and Thomas. But I'm also including the likes of Blais, Barbeshev, Musil, Mikkola, Walman, and Schmaltz. They provide a solid future along with cap flexibility. Honestly, I see getting a Vrbata just puts a band-aid on the season that I'm not sure would do much in the playoffs.

Secondly, all of the reasons as to why the Blues need to target Vrbata don't make sense to me. He can shoot from all over the ice? Okay, but how does that help? I get that the point is to funnel pucks to the net, but I never thought that was the Blues problem. I've always seen the problem as the Blues not having adequate skill on the 2nd or 3rd line to drive the play effectively. The Blues can shoot from all over the ice, but the problem is they don't get close enough into the high-danger areas to create multiple scoring opportunities. Vrbata doesn't fix that problem for me.

I'm on board lookin for external options, but I'd rather get something other than Vrbata. Unless the Blues can snag Vrbata for a 4th rounder or less, I just don't see the value.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
If I'm DA im targeting Jon Marchessault. Right handed. Can play wing. 750,000 cap hit and we have plenty in the reserves to get a deal done without sacrificing our future

We'll see if Vegas can stay a float until the deadline

But why does Vegas trade him? They are playoff bound this year.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
"We'll see if Vegas can stay a float until the deadline"

That doesn't change my question. Stay afloat? Aren't they battling LA for first? They just got Fleury back and they've spent the entire season near the top of the Pacific. I don't think Vegas is going anywhere. I could be wrong, but thinking they'll just "stay a float" isn't giving that team enough credit.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love DA to land Marchessault, but I just dont' see Vegas trading him unless it's an overpay by the Blues.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
That doesn't change my question. Stay afloat? Aren't they battling LA for first? They just got Fleury back and they've spent the entire season near the top of the Pacific. I don't think Vegas is going anywhere. I could be wrong, but thinking they'll just "stay a float" isn't giving that team enough credit.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love DA to land Marchessault, but I just dont' see Vegas trading him unless it's an overpay by the Blues.

Its December. I doubt the Sharks, Flames, Ducks, and even the Oilers have completely given up yet.

Teams get hot, teams get cold. And we both know teams get injured

Unproven Vegas team, building for the future, with a bunch of players on their last contract year? Let them walk for nothing? I'm still convinced they'll be a busy deadline team

Last edited:

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
The Blues had one of the hottest starts in franchise history but I'm still not conviced theyre a guaranteed playoff team. Look at the way Nashville. Winnipeg, and the Hawks have played of late. Not even going to write off the stars either.

Its a long season

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
The Blues had one of the hottest starts in franchise history but I'm still not conviced theyre a guaranteed playoff team. Look at the way Nashville. Winnipeg, and the Hawks have played of late. Not even going to write off the stars either.

Its a long season

It's a long season and you're right, we know teams can get hurt. My point with Vegas is they've been through like 5 goaltenders and have a bunch of dudes playing very well. They might move a few players at the deadline but I don't see Marchessault being one.

The Blues would have to play sub .500 hockey the rest of the season to miss the playoffs. I don't think they're that bad of a team. Yes, Nashville is playing well, but they are a goalie misstep or injury away from being in trouble, same as the Blues. Winnipeg is also playing well, but they have their flaws. They're the scariest to me come playoff time. Chicago and Dallas are severely flawed teams. I know your worry. I understand it, but I'm not as worried I guess as you are.

If he is available, what would you offer for Marchessault? I think Vegas would want C and Thompson is the only center prospect I'd be willing to part with at this point as I don't want Thomas moved unless it's for a Tavares, Stamkos, etc.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
We don't need a sniper if that "sniper" is freaking Radim Vrbata.

4 goals in 27 games? Yeah what a sniper.

Perron is miles better than Vrbata at this point in their careers. He'd be perfect next to Schenn and Schwartz when he gets back.

The "sniper" label is used to put a team together in the video games. Put Steen on the 3rd line with Bergy and (Jaskin/Blais/Thompson/Barby) and they'll score their fair share of goals.
Lets try this again.

Vrbata=cheap, as in late pick or nothing prospect

Perron=not cheap, as in 1st or good prospect+late pick.

Ill say it again, we need a guy who can lose coverage and find soft spots, Vrbata can do that. Even if he sucks....we lost a late pick for a maybe. Perron was an absolute ghost when the Blues needed him the most. He can stay gone for good, especially at the price tag he would command.

As for JM.......why would they move him anyway? He's young and at this point is a proven goal scorer. You would have to give them someone who could be better then what they have.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Secondly, all of the reasons as to why the Blues need to target Vrbata don't make sense to me. He can shoot from all over the ice? Okay, but how does that help? I get that the point is to funnel pucks to the net, but I never thought that was the Blues problem. I've always seen the problem as the Blues not having adequate skill on the 2nd or 3rd line to drive the play effectively. The Blues can shoot from all over the ice, but the problem is they don't get close enough into the high-danger areas to create multiple scoring opportunities. Vrbata doesn't fix that problem for me.

Then why don't we?
We're 35 games into the schedule and we already have 9 games with less than 30 shots on goal(26% of our games) and 5 games with less than 25 shots on goal(14% of our games).

I disagree with this statement pretty strongly. The Blues have the bodies to shoot the puck(and we seem to score a lot more goals when we're in that mindset), but it seems like it takes a direct order from the coaching staff for them to actually do it and that mindset evaporates very quickly. I've seen far too many games this year where we just don't have a shooters mentality. We're out on the ice trying to force jam plays, trying to pull off power moves through 3 and 4 defenders, trying to deke our way around half the opposing team or just cycling the puck without even the slightest inclination of putting it on goal. That nonsense needs to stop. I think we do need a guy on the ice who's going to say "enough of this nonsense; throw the puck on goal and see what happens" and hopefully that attitude becomes contagious and lights a fire under some of these guys. I'm getting really sick of watching these games where we go full PP's without a shot on goal, go full periods with maybe 5 shots on goal and full games where we barely top the 20 shot mark(and yes, I will cite Sunday's game against Winnipeg as an example of this; we've seen that exact same show play out far too often this year).
IMO the "shooters mindset" has proven to be a major issue with this years team.

I think we would all agree that a higher caliber player with that shooters mindset would be preferable. A Kucherov or Tavares or Simmonds would completely transform this team. But guys like that are going to cost an arm, leg and eye to acquire.
Vrbata has the mindset I think we need, plays the position we are weakest at and shouldn't cost much more than a 5th round pick and/or Vannelli/Bleackley type prospect to acquire. IMO you pay that price rather than going after some high profile guy who's going to cost us some of our high end prospects. Especially since we do have some guys in the system who can eventually fill the role we need filled, they just aren't ready yet and we need a "bandaid" for the spot until they are.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Perron shoots right-handed

Geez, I have GOT to start getting more sleep.

The part I’ll stick by though is that in his career Perron has been way better at LW than RW. He must like being able to cut into the middle on his forehand.

We’ve already seen how Perron looks for the Blues as a RW. Ok, but not a great fit IMO. And I agree with others that he’d be somewhat costly, especially with his bloated stats so far this season. Certainly not the worst option but I don’t see him as ideal. And at this point, I’m not sure why Vegas would be sellers either...unless they just want to sell to amass more picks/prospects but that’d be a bit of a middle finger to their fan base IMO - play at a clear playoff pace the entire season and still sell the top players at the deadline. Odd situation there. I doubt even they expected to be as good as they are.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Then why don't we?
I disagree with this statement pretty strongly. The Blues have the bodies to shoot the puck(and we seem to score a lot more goals when we're in that mindset), but it seems like it takes a direct order from the coaching staff for them to actually do it and that mindset evaporates very quickly. I've seen far too many games this year where we just don't have a shooters mentality. We're out on the ice trying to force jam plays, trying to pull off power moves through 3 and 4 defenders, trying to deke our way around half the opposing team or just cycling the puck without even the slightest inclination of putting it on goal. That nonsense needs to stop. I think we do need a guy on the ice who's going to say "enough of this nonsense; throw the puck on goal and see what happens" and hopefully that attitude becomes contagious and lights a fire under some of these guys. I'm getting really sick of watching these games where we go full PP's without a shot on goal, go full periods with maybe 5 shots on goal and full games where we barely top the 20 shot mark(and yes, I will cite Sunday's game against Winnipeg as an example of this; we've seen that exact same show play out far too often this year).
IMO the "shooters mindset" has proven to be a major issue with this years team.
And I can say that I can't agree with any of this.

Like you're tired with the Blues players moving around the ice and not creating anything, which is ironically the thing I'm complaining with as well, I'm sick and tired of Blues players just throwing the puck towards the goal. It either gets blocked along the way or is thrown at a place that doesn't have much of a chance of going in unless the goalie thought an icepick lobotomy sounded like a good pre-game warm up. I'm sick and tired of this concept that shooting is what matters, because if the shot isn't a quality one, there really isn't a point of taking the shot. I get that players miss 100% of the shots they don't take, but players also miss 99% of quality scoring opportunities when the shot is directed square at the goalie's chest, or into some defenseman's torso, or even just missing the net completely. I want the Blues to generate scoring opportunities in the offensive zone, hence why I think the BLues need someone to utilize high-danger areas. Unless you can tell me that Vrbata is someone who can drive plays by moving into those zones, then I don't see how he benefits the team.

Long story, short, I think the Blues problem is quality, not quantity.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Vrbata shots per 60 this season is .16. He has 62 shots total in 28 games. Which equates to 2.2 shots per game.

His shot total ranks just ahead of Jaskin and right behind Edmundson. If you adjust for shots per game he would inch higher. If it is shots you want, then Vrbata is a decent add.

I think it’s worth mentioning that in seasons that he was getting higher point totals, he was getting 3+ more minutes per game (and he had a higher shooting percentage). At 36, I don’t see those numbers reversing course too much. I certainly don’t see him getting that on the Blues.

If you look at the Panthers with him on the ice, shot totals for decrease and shots against increase. So while Vrbata shoots the puck, he doesn’t help generate shots for his teammates and certainly doesn’t help prevent them.

I liken Vrbata to empty calories. They might fill you up, but they are not nutritious. Another comparable might be Brad Boyes. He brings very little to the table when he isn’t pointing. The same is true for Vrbata and if his point totals so far are any indication of what is in store for the rest of the season, he won’t be pointing often.

craws

Apr 16, 2015
What about Mark Stone as an option? He's a right handed shot that plays for a pretty poor team (Ottawa). He is in the last year of his contract, so there may be some incentive to move him if it's unlikely that he will be resigned. He's not a game-breaker, but he's good for 20-30 goals within a good offense. His salary is comparable to Sobotka (3.5M) though, so there would have to be some salary moving in their direction. Is it possible that they would entertain Gunnarsson? They have injuries to 2 of their defensemen now, and their defense is nothing to write home about anyway. We may have to add a prospect to get the deal done, but it might be a deal where both teams could benefit.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
What about Mark Stone as an option? He's a right handed shot that plays for a pretty poor team (Ottawa). He is in the last year of his contract, so there may be some incentive to move him if it's unlikely that he will be resigned. He's not a game-breaker, but he's good for 20-30 goals within a good offense. His salary is comparable to Sobotka (3.5M) though, so there would have to be some salary moving in their direction. Is it possible that they would entertain Gunnarsson? They have injuries to 2 of their defensemen now, and their defense is nothing to write home about anyway. We may have to add a prospect to get the deal done, but it might be a deal where both teams could benefit.
Stone is their best forward, offering Gunnarsson isn't going to get anything besides the phone hanging up.

Reactions: LetsGoBooze

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Stone would cost a TON and most likely is unavailable. He would fit our team well but i just dont see why they would move him.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

Whenever considering a trade for Stone you need to consider what you would take for Schwartz. They're very, very similar players. There's next to 0 chance they are going to trade Stone, much less with Gunnarsson being the main piece.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Stone is most definitely a game breaker and would cost a hefty package for Ottawa to even consider moving him. Gunnarsson does not move the needle in the slightest.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
If we can get Stone for Gunnarsson, I propose trading Edmundson for Kucherov.

On a serious note, Stone would be an excellent add, but i doubt we land him without trading Kostin, Thomas, Kyrou, or Walman, and then some.

Lindholm would likely take one of the aforementioned as well. He’s young, a good center, and RHS. All the things a young team would love to have, including the Blues. He fits too well with their upcoming d-corps for them to trade him.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I’m all aboard the Wayne Train. I’ll keep hoping for that until they inevitably trade for a Vrbata range player closer to the TDL.

Reactions: shmotz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad