Blues Trade Proposals Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If this years playoffs has shown us anything it's that we should never trade Pietrangelo (really we should have already known that but some people didn't). The guy is logging 30 min a game against the toughest competition and playing great.

That dude needs to go nowhere.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Ok friends, so do we let Backes walk this off season and attempt to replace him? I know the popular opinion has been to let him walk to the fat multi year contract some team is no doubt willing to throw at him in FA. Given his PO performance thus far has your opinion changed if indeed you were willing to let him walk prior to the start of PO's? Keep him pending qualifiers like only a 3 yr deal at X amount of dollars? Or no just let him sign with someone else and find a replacement?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Eh...Backes has put us in an interesting position. He's been a key players in the playoffs. Don't cripple the team but if you can keep him, do it.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Ok friends, so do we let Backes walk this off season and attempt to replace him? I know the popular opinion has been to let him walk to the fat multi year contract some team is no doubt willing to throw at him in FA. Given his PO performance thus far has your opinion changed if indeed you were willing to let him walk prior to the start of PO's? Keep him pending qualifiers like only a 3 yr deal at X amount of dollars? Or no just let him sign with someone else and find a replacement?

I'd like to evaluate the entire body of work in the post-season, so not enough info yet. But I'm beginning to feel that a 6M salary with a non-fatal term is the best option. I'd go 4 years if he'd take it, realizing that it will be overpaying him at the end likely. Frankly, he's earned it, and I think he's a big part of this team's success to this point.

Brouwer is tricky. I think they'll probably let him walk, unless he's willing to re-sign for a lower salary. I like what he's brought, but I think he'll get a better off than the Blues can compete with.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It's always difficult to look at these things in isolation. How much we give Backes is down to the number of years, and then it comes down to what the plans are with the rest of the roster.

His performances have certainly made me more comfortable with giving him 4 years, but going beyond that isn't something I'd be interested in.

I've always wanted to sign Backes, but I've never wanted to pay the likely price.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Draisaitl and Nurse for Petro? There is zero chance of DA doing that deal.
Not long ago I suggested Nurse, Draisaiti and Edmonton's 1st, (4OA), for Pietrangelo and our 1st. (Plus maybe throwing in Vanelli.) Some people replied that that was so bad it was insulting for Edmonton. After watching Pietrangelo in this series, I'm honestly not sure if I even keep that on the table. :) He's going nowhere.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Not long ago I suggested Nurse, Draisaiti and Edmonton's 1st, (4OA), for Pietrangelo and our 1st. (Plus maybe throwing in Vanelli.) Some people replied that that was so bad it was insulting for Edmonton. After watching Pietrangelo in this series, I'm honestly not sure if I even keep that on the table. :) He's going nowhere.

Its not the value that makes this a terrible trade. Its that it takes the Blues from contender status and replaces their best player with prospects and players who are a few years from being able to contribute at their best level. So what if the Blues had 5 first round picks this year? If it costs veteran players who are in the prime of their careers, it takes the Blues away from being a Cup contender now.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
It depends on what Shattenkirk package is.

Let's say its Detroit and we get Tatar and Svech. Those are 2 likely NHL ready wingers. Tatar we know is ready, Svech could be. So in that case two people gotta go. Considering Svech and Tatar have a combined salary of 3.675. This is essentially what Troy Brouwer currently makes, but arguably two better players.

So necessarily we replace Backes and Brouwers roster spot but spend what Brouwer makes (he makes 3.66 do slightly above).

So if that trade were to happen, bringing Backes back wouldn't be the greatest idea. I mean Backes would be the best 4th liner in the league but he wants a payday. Brouwer as well.

So the Shattenkirk trade is key not just for value, but for roster replacements, future assets and money wise.

BlueMagic

Oct 19, 2014
Kind of interesting to see how active this thread is right now. I don't know how anyone can be looking this far ahead with how much is currently at stake. I don't have the attention span for anything else than game 6 tonight.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Kind of interesting to see how active this thread is right now. I don't know how anyone can be looking this far ahead with how much is currently at stake. I don't have the attention span for anything else than game 6 tonight.
Agreed.

I think the Backes situation depends on what happens in this series. If the Blues don't make it past the 2nd round he can't be back. Neither can Shattenkirk.

If the Blues go to the Cup, then it'll be hard to justify screwing up what we have.

If anything, these decisions are a lot more unclear than they were a month ago. It's really impossible to know what would be the best route right now.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ

Let's say its Detroit and we get Tatar and Svech. Those are 2 likely NHL ready wingers. Tatar we know is ready, Svech could be. So in that case two people gotta go. Considering Svech and Tatar have a combined salary of 3.675. This is essentially what Troy Brouwer currently makes, but arguably two better players.

So necessarily we replace Backes and Brouwers roster spot but spend what Brouwer makes (he makes 3.66 do slightly above).

So if that trade were to happen, bringing Backes back wouldn't be the greatest idea. I mean Backes would be the best 4th liner in the league but he wants a payday. Brouwer as well.

So the Shattenkirk trade is key not just for value, but for roster replacements, future assets and money wise.
There's zero chance that anything being discussed in here would relegate Backes to a 4th line role.

I can easily see an argument for Tatar being better than Brouwer, assuming their usage would play to their respective strengths, but there is no real reason to believe that Svechnikov is NHL ready (much less that he makes anyone one the current roster expendable). Tatar would also likely cost more than Brouwer would once he signs his next contract, so it's not like that upgrade comes with a corresponding cost savings beyond the first year.

If the intention is to use Shattenkirk's trade value to replace one of Backes or Brouwer, then there needs to be a better player coming back...someone that's a cut above what we might easily acquire via UFA and/or the player(s) we're letting go, or alternatively someone that's similar talent but at a significant long-term cost savings.

If the Blues can't manage either one of those things and they're still committed to trading Shattenkirk, I'd rather just see them trade him for the best futures package that is being offered.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
There's zero chance that anything being discussed in here would relegate Backes to a 4th line role.

I can easily see an argument for Tatar being better than Brouwer, assuming their usage would play to their respective strengths, but there is no real reason to believe that Svechnikov is NHL ready (much less that he makes anyone one the current roster expendable). Tatar would also likely cost more than Brouwer would once he signs his next contract, so it's not like that upgrade comes with a corresponding cost savings beyond the first year.

If the intention is to use Shattenkirk's trade value to replace one of Backes or Brouwer, then there needs to be a better player coming back...someone that's a cut above what we might easily acquire via UFA and/or the player(s) we're letting go, or alternatively someone that's similar talent but at a significant long-term cost savings.

If the Blues can't manage either one of those things and they're still committed to trading Shattenkirk, I'd rather just see them trade him for the best futures package that is being offered.
The Shattenkirk deal is a tough one to come up with. Is there a fit?
People assume he will sign in the east, I can't find any proof of that.

One team is Dallas. Goligoski, Demers, Russell are all UFA so they need a defenseman. Shattenkirk fits into their offensive style. But what is Dallas willing to give? Nobody that I can think of that we'd like.

I'd settle for future pieces depending on the those pieces. Some have proposed is a 3 way which ends with us picking #4. Obviously the details within the deal haven't been set so what would those be? The other two teams involved are Edmonton and New York Islanders.

Rangers fans have obnoxiously suggested Rick Nash but that ain't happening. Rangers have no future pieces and none that they'd give up. No one else on there roster of interest.

Boston is a possibility but Krejci has a NMC. That leaves Spooner. Who, doesn't seem like he'd be a great fit and probably never a 1C. So nothing there.

So to come up with a logical idea for Shattenkirk would need to establish all teams with interest. Regardless if whether he'd resign. Then establish value (resigning would weigh in). Then establish which players give that value.

Is Armstrong interested in future peices? Players to help now? Potential 1C (upgrade on Lehtera)?

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
Not saying Backes is a number 1 center offensively, however defensively he is. If we lose him....who in the world is gonna match up vs the big boys

Thornton
Getzlaf
Kopitar
Toews
Johansen

All big guys

Internally I guess stastny? However is there anything out there we could get

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Elliott and Shatty and our 2nd/3rd rd pick to Calgary for 1st rd pick and frolik

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Calgary's top 4 D are set, Hamilton,Wideman, Brodie, & Giordano. There doesn't seem to be a fit there with Shattenkirk.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Hamonic rescinds trade request apparently so maybe the market will increase a little bit for Shattenkirk

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

This I agree with as well. Depends on the return. If anything, then we can package up for something else.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Is Shattenkirk married? If not can Edmonton help lure him up there with a woman?

Sure would be nice if that could be the landing spot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad