Blues Trade Proposals Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I'd prefer to get NHL ready players 24 and under then anything. Obviously we need a center. But maybe getting replacements for 1 of Backes or Brouwer would be nice, along with extra pieces.

With Hamonic no longer requesting a trade, Shattenkirk's value just rose a little.

If Buffalo is willing to trade Sam Reinhart tha'ts one guy who I'd love. But doubtful they are.

Detroit to me seems most logical. Lack of RHD. They have some young forwards, but man who knows.

Were not getting #4 for Shattenkirk.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
As of today, Harmonic rescinded his trade request since the health issues of his family member have stabilized. I wonder how this effects the market for Shatty? Harmonic wanted a Western Canadian team (Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary and Vancouver). I don't think any of those would have much interest in one year of Shatty with little chance or re-signing him. Harmonic moving would have opened the Islanders as a bidder for Shatty. They'd have a shot at re-signing him. So even though Harmonic staying with the Isles takes a similar player off the market, I think it actually hurts Shatty's value as it takes a possible suitor out. The teams who would have bid on Harmonic, won't go after Shatty. Strange situation.

Sadly the market seems very small for Shattenkirk. Looks like its down to Detroit and Boston as the likely spots. With Detroit losing Datsyuk, their chances as a winner next year took a hit, as did their cap space with the retirement penalty. They might not even be on the market for a 1-year guy if they can't get a deal in principle done before the trade. What about Florida? They have Campbell's $7M coming off the books and are thin on the right after Ekblad (although they have 3 RHD under contract). Rangers as a Boyle replacement? Flyers could use D?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
As of today, Harmonic rescinded his trade request since the health issues of his family member have stabilized. I wonder how this effects the market for Shatty? Harmonic wanted a Western Canadian team (Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary and Vancouver). I don't think any of those would have much interest in one year of Shatty with little chance or re-signing him. Harmonic moving would have opened the Islanders as a bidder for Shatty. They'd have a shot at re-signing him. So even though Harmonic staying with the Isles takes a similar player off the market, I think it actually hurts Shatty's value as it takes a possible suitor out. The teams who would have bid on Harmonic, won't go after Shatty. Strange situation.

Sadly the market seems very small for Shattenkirk. Looks like its down to Detroit and Boston as the likely spots. With Detroit losing Datsyuk, their chances as a winner next year took a hit, as did their cap space with the retirement penalty. They might not even be on the market for a 1-year guy if they can't get a deal in principle done before the trade. What about Florida? They have Campbell's $7M coming off the books and are thin on the right after Ekblad (although they have 3 RHD under contract). Rangers as a Boyle replacement? Flyers could use D?
What would we want from those teams? I don't see much of anything. Maybe Vincent Trocheck? Reilly Smith?
As for Philly, only Schenn, Couturier and Simmonds draw interest. Are they willing to give those guys up?
Lastly, New York. New York has next to no youth, and no forwards of any interest. Maybe Derrick Brassard or Derek Stepan but their both iffy.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
What would we want from those teams? I don't see much of anything. Maybe Vincent Trocheck? Reilly Smith?
As for Philly, only Schenn, Couturier and Simmonds draw interest. Are they willing to give those guys up?
Lastly, New York. New York has next to no youth, and no forwards of any interest. Maybe Derrick Brassard or Derek Stepan but their both iffy.

Philly: They have a mid-late first, Simmonds (don't like but others do) Couturier (3C 2-way replacement if we move on from Backes), Laughton (young C/W with some upside) and really awesomely staggering LHD depth. Morin is 4th of their 22 and younger LHD depth and he's a beast. Huge LHD who plays physical, fights and can drop the gloves. If we add a RHD prospect, we could maybe snag Provorov instead. They'd still have GhostBear, Sanheim and Morin. Provorov + Laughton for Shattenkirk + Schmaltz/Vannelli + balancing pick or Morin + Courturier + 1st for Shatty + Vanvelli + balancing pick.

Rangers- They are all in for a cup while Lundqvist is playing, so I think they'd bite on Shatty. But you are right. There is not much there. If they re-sign Staal, it might make JT Miller or Brassard expendable. I'd prefer Miller as he is cheaper in salary and asset cost. 20 G scoring C/W who will be cost controlled. I'd love Kreider's speed, but he is a LW. Buchnevich is a great prospect, plays RW and may be NHL ready next year. So Miller + Buch + 2nd for Shatty + Rattie + balancing pick?

Florida- Also have a mid-late first. Trochek or Bjugstad would be great. I'd almost prefer Bjugstad due to his size, but I'm not sure either would be available. Same with Reilley smith. He'd be a cool #2 RW but I am not sure he'd be available. Smith + Bjugstad + 1st + for Shatty + Berglund + balancing pick

Boston - This one has been talked to death. Usually involves Krejci pretty much straight up or Spooner + Khokhlachev + 1st.

Anyway, I was more just thinking of teams that would want Shatty, not so much who we could get. I'm not really good with balancing value on trades in a vacuum. I look more toward team needs, and I don't know some teams as well as others. That's why all my trades have balancing picks added. I might have made them so lopsided, you'd need to add 3 firsts to balance it. In fact, I just edited the Philly one because I was giving us a huge steal lol

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Philly: They have a mid-late first, Simmonds (don't like but others do) Couturier (3C 2-way replacement if we move on from Backes), Laughton (young C/W with some upside) and really awesomely staggering LHD depth. Morin is 4th of their 22 and younger LHD depth and he's a beast. Huge LHD who plays physical, fights and can drop the gloves. If we add a RHD prospect, we could maybe snag Provorov instead. They'd still have GhostBear, Sanheim and Morin. Provorov + Laughton for Shattenkirk + Schmaltz/Vannelli + balancing pick or Morin + Courturier + 1st for Shatty + Vanvelli + balancing pick.

Rangers- They are all in for a cup while Lundqvist is playing, so I think they'd bite on Shatty. But you are right. There is not much there. If they re-sign Staal, it might make JT Miller or Brassard expendable. I'd prefer Miller as he is cheaper in salary and asset cost. 20 G scoring C/W who will be cost controlled. I'd love Kreider's speed, but he is a LW. Buchnevich is a great prospect, plays RW and may be NHL ready next year. So Miller + Buch + 2nd for Shatty + Rattie + balancing pick?

Florida- Also have a mid-late first. Trochek or Bjugstad would be great. I'd almost prefer Bjugstad due to his size, but I'm not sure either would be available. Same with Reilley smith. He'd be a cool #2 RW but I am not sure he'd be available. Smith + Bjugstad + 1st + for Shatty + Berglund + balancing pick

Boston - This one has been talked to death. Usually involves Krejci pretty much straight up or Spooner + Khokhlachev + 1st.

Anyway, I was more just thinking of teams that would want Shatty, not so much who we could get. I'm not really good with balancing value on trades in a vacuum. I look more toward team needs, and I don't know some teams as well as others. That's why all my trades have balancing picks added. I might have made them so lopsided, you'd need to add 3 firsts to balance it. In fact, I just edited the Philly one because I was giving us a huge steal lol

Really like Bjugstad and Couturier, but talking trade with those two.....:amazed: Look out....

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis

Philly: Couturier is a 2C. He's a Selke type forward, who puts up 50 points. His offensive production was actually great and he could be the guy for Tarasenko. I don't think would get Morin and a 1st. Maybe just the 1st considering our needs.
New York can't give any young players. It'd be irresponsible for them to. So it just won't happen.
Florida: I wouldn't wanna trade Berglund but if were getting those guys then I would. Though after the year they had, unlikely they part with two.
Boston: Krejci has NMC. So that's a no. Koko has attitude issues and is leaving for Russia. So scrap that.

So the Philly option or Florida may work.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
He still hasn't cracked 40 points. I don't really care about paces because they guarantee nothing. I'm not trying rag on him because he's a quality piece. I just don't make assumptions about his offensive productions when he hasn't proven he can do it over a full season.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
He still hasn't cracked 40 points. I don't really care about paces because they guarantee nothing. I'm not trying rag on him because he's a quality piece. I just don't make assumptions about his offensive productions when he hasn't proven he can do it over a full season.

The guy is pretty valuable. I doubt Philly is even willing to part with him. Nevermind add on to a deal involving him.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
We really need to find a way to restock the cupboard. If we can spin some of our extra pieces (Shatty, Rattie, Jaskin, one of the G's) into extra draft picks we'd kill two birds with one stone (prospect depth, and cap-space) and extend the competitive window while only losing a bit of depth.

Would be nice to have another Fabbri on the way...but we're going to need a first round pick (or two) to reload.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Really intrigued by Morin. Can he skate? Do we really need him with Edmundson and Parayko in our long term plans? What is Couturier's contract status? Couturier and Morin ....hmmm. Would the Flyers do it? We might have to add to Shattenkirk... Interesting. :)

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Really intrigued by Morin. Can he skate? Do we really need him with Edmundson and Parayko in our long term plans? What is Couturier's contract status? Couturier and Morin ....hmmm. Would the Flyers do it? We might have to add to Shattenkirk... Interesting. :)

As to whether we need him, its not a desperate need but I think he'd be useful. I think we need to shore up our future LHD now and in the future. On the right side, we have Petro and Parayko who will be long term studs with us. We have Schmaltz who will be ready in a year and has strong top 4 potential. On the left we have Jbo who is slipping, Gunnar who is good but a stop gap and Edmundson. I really like Eddie, but he isn't a jaw-dropping top 4 guy. He's going to be a great bottom pairing guy or a decent 4th D. Lindbohm regressed some and doesn't have any more potential than Eddie (sorry Ranksu). We have Walman and Dunn, who either have potential on the outside as a top pair guy. So if they both hit, we are fine. But they are both projects in their own way. I wouldn't mind another solid option coming up.

And yea, Morin can skate. He isn't going to be the fastest guy on the ice but he has a strong powerful stride. The knock on him is doesn't use his size to full advantage (but neither does Parayko tbh), and that he doesn't have the best offensive instincts. He does have a booming slapshot. I think it would be awesome to have him and Parayko out there on the PP. Two 6'6" guys with howitzers. The goalie would be hiding behind the net.

Philly: Couturier is a 2C. He's a Selke type forward, who puts up 50 points. His offensive production was actually great and he could be the guy for Tarasenko. I don't think would get Morin and a 1st. Maybe just the 1st considering our needs.
New York can't give any young players. It'd be irresponsible for them to. So it just won't happen.
Florida: I wouldn't wanna trade Berglund but if were getting those guys then I would. Though after the year they had, unlikely they part with two.
Boston: Krejci has NMC. So that's a no. Koko has attitude issues and is leaving for Russia. So scrap that.

So the Philly option or Florida may work.

As Vladys said, Courturier has a career high 39 this year. That was missing 19 games, so he would have hit 40. When I called him a 3C, I meant in the role we would use Backes for (or whoever centered his line). A shut down role that could score as well. We don't really have a strict 1-2-3 structure as the minutes get heavily determined by the situation. I agree with you on the Boston trade. Krejci could waive, but nothing there interests me. It is just the options. As far as value, I was basing everything off of the Detroit fan offers of Tatar/Nyquist + Svech + mid first. Those pieces don't fit as well as I'd like, but would be ecstatic for that value (young 2nd line roster player, B or higher prospect that was former first and mid first).

As for New York, when have they ever been responsible? Look what they gave TB for a 40 year old St. Louis (the Martin not the blues).

Last edited:

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
As to whether we need him, its not a desperate need but I think he'd be useful. I think we need to shore up our future LHD now and in the future. On the right side, we have Petro and Parayko who will be long term studs with us. We have Schmaltz who will be ready in a year and has strong top 4 potential. On the left we have Jbo who is slipping, Gunnar who is good but a stop gap and Edmundson. I really like Eddie, but he isn't a jaw-dropping top 4 guy. He's going to be a great bottom pairing guy or a decent 4th D. Lindbohm regressed some and doesn't have any more potential than Eddie (sorry Ranksu). We have Walman and Dunn, who either have potential on the outside as a top pair guy. So if they both hit, we are fine. But they are both projects in their own way. I wouldn't mind another solid option coming up.

And yea, Morin can skate. He isn't going to be the fastest guy on the ice but he has a strong powerful stride. The knock on him is doesn't use his size to full advantage (but neither does Parayko tbh), and that he doesn't have the best offensive instincts. He does have a booming slapshot. I think it would be awesome to have him and Parayko out there on the PP. Two 6'6" guys with howitzers. The goalie would be hiding behind the net.

As Vladys said, Courturier has a career high 39 this year. That was missing 19 games, so he would have hit 40. When I called him a 3C, I meant in the role we would use Backes for (or whoever centered his line). A shut down role that could score as well. We don't really have a strict 1-2-3 structure as the minutes get heavily determined by the situation. I agree with you on the Boston trade. Krejci could waive, but nothing there interests me. It is just the options. As far as value, I was basing everything off of the Detroit fan offers of Tatar/Nyquist + Svech + mid first. Those pieces don't fit as well as I'd like, but would be ecstatic for that value (young 2nd line roster player, B or higher prospect that was former first and mid first).

As for New York, when have they ever been responsible? Look what they gave TB for a 40 year old St. Louis (the Martin not the blues).

Okay, see I just misunderstood.
I'd prefer Brayden Schenn over Sean Couturier. Worst case, we get Simmonds. One advantage, Simmonds is under 4 million for multiple years. He'd be perfect PWF to play RW behind Tarasenko. However, Brayden Schenn may be the player who could center Tarasenko.

New York has not made great decisions in the past, but a team with that lack of a future can't be that desperate. Maybe I'm wrong.

The Florida one would be nice. However Trocheck shot at a astonishing 14% same with Reilly Smith. So expect them to drop in production next year a bit. Bjugstad is in a good contract, but hasn't hit over 40 points and I feel he may never be a truely top 6 player. So I'd take Trocheck over Bjugstad.

If Buffalo is willing to talk, I'd love Sam Reinhart, he's gonna be an amazing player.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'd prefer to get NHL ready players 24 and under then anything. Obviously we need a center. But maybe getting replacements for 1 of Backes or Brouwer would be nice, along with extra pieces.

With Hamonic no longer requesting a trade, Shattenkirk's value just rose a little.

If Buffalo is willing to trade Sam Reinhart tha'ts one guy who I'd love. But doubtful they are.

Detroit to me seems most logical. Lack of RHD. They have some young forwards, but man who knows.

Were not getting #4 for Shattenkirk.

Yeah, Reinhart's not going anywhere. Shattenkirk also doesn't really fill a need for Buffalo, aside from being a great puck mover. We've got 5 righties already (Ristolainen, Bogosian, Pysyk, Franson, and recently signed college UFA Casey Nelson).

I think Edmonton would be real interested in Shatty, though. There's no reason they shouldn't be. They've got a dearth of RHD, crappy D overall, and a number of quality forwards they can afford to part with.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Their 4th would be nice but we've beaten Shattenkirk to Edmonton to death. He's already spit at the idea of going Edmonton according to a radio guy up there. We just don't bother with it anymore. If it happens, It happens

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don't think Shattenkirk's value will take a hit or anything of that sort. A lot of teams will still be interested in him because 27 year old defensemen who put up points are desired.

The Blues should have enough teams bidding for him to get a decent deal, but I think that's all it will be. It's hard to see the team improving from a trade because there's no centers out there that really put us over the top (maybe Krejci).

I think whatever trade we make will be a lateral move without a doubt, but that's still okay with me, because it will just balance out the team a little more.

But until we know what happens with Backes and/or if one of Lehtera/Berglund are also thrown into a deal, I really have no idea what type of player to expect (i.e. center or winger, etc). It's hard to see any deals out there that really jump at you. Boston is probably the best bet right now, maybe Detroit. Florida has some nice pieces but Trochek isn't going anywhere and I really doubt Bjugstad is either. I do like Couturier from Philly but I can see why others wouldn't. At this point, nothing would really surprise me because it's also tough to know what players Armstrong and the scouting staff are considering. None of us would have guessed Brouwer for Oshie.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Okay, see I just misunderstood.
I'd prefer Brayden Schenn over Sean Couturier. Worst case, we get Simmonds. One advantage, Simmonds is under 4 million for multiple years. He'd be perfect PWF to play RW behind Tarasenko. However, Brayden Schenn may be the player who could center Tarasenko.

New York has not made great decisions in the past, but a team with that lack of a future can't be that desperate. Maybe I'm wrong.

The Florida one would be nice. However Trocheck shot at a astonishing 14% same with Reilly Smith. So expect them to drop in production next year a bit. Bjugstad is in a good contract, but hasn't hit over 40 points and I feel he may never be a truely top 6 player. So I'd take Trocheck over Bjugstad.

If Buffalo is willing to talk, I'd love Sam Reinhart, he's gonna be an amazing player.

If Wayne Simmonds is the "worst case scenario" then things are better than I thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad