Confirmed with Link: Blues trade Kostin to Edmonton for Samorukov

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Has Samorukov played for you guys since his recall? One of his trademarks was his open ice hits in juniors, the first one that he attempted at Oilers rookie camp in his first year pro against the Flames rookies he ended up having a lengthy injury. If he can get back to being that player at this level he could become a fan favorite for you guys.

As for Kostin, Rattie brought nothing when he wasn't scoring. Klim brings physicality and can cycle the puck effectively. Not saying that he will continue on his pace and score 15-20 goals this season, but if he continues playing with 1 of McDavid, Draisaitl or Nugent-Hopkins at ES it wouldn't surprise me either.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Good to see Kostin florishing in Edmonton. Dude didn't get opportunity in Blues.
He's getting all of ~2 shifts more per game in Edmonton than he did last season with the Blues. He's increased his hitting(20% higher) and shooting(50% higher) rates, while also cutting his giveaway rate by 50%. It has almost nothing to do with opportunity and everything to do with him actually doing something with his TOI.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
He's getting all of ~2 shifts more per game in Edmonton than he did last season with the Blues. He's increased his hitting(20% higher) and shooting(50% higher) rates, while also cutting his giveaway rate by 50%. It has almost nothing to do with opportunity and everything to do with him actually doing something with his TOI.
Playing with McDavid helps too lol

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Has Samorukov played for you guys since his recall? One of his trademarks was his open ice hits in juniors, the first one that he attempted at Oilers rookie camp in his first year pro against the Flames rookies he ended up having a lengthy injury. If he can get back to being that player at this level he could become a fan favorite for you guys.

As for Kostin, Rattie brought nothing when he wasn't scoring. Klim brings physicality and can cycle the puck effectively. Not saying that he will continue on his pace and score 15-20 goals this season, but if he continues playing with 1 of McDavid, Draisaitl or Nugent-Hopkins at ES it wouldn't surprise me either.
He hasn’t dressed for us yet.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's unfortunate if Oiler fans have come here gloating. I had mixed feelings about this trade when it happened since I have been a big fan of Samarukov since his days in Guelph. Particularly after his fantastic run at the end of the 2018-2019 season and his playoffs that year. Once the Storm traded Merkley it was like Sammy had been freed from his bonds.

Samarukov seems to me to be a great team guy and a very coachable player. I always thought it would take him some time to find out what sort of player he would be as a pro because he had always been somewhat of a chameleon playing a style that fit the moment and the team's needs. So be patient with him. I think he has the tools to be a solid NHL defenseman who can help a team win.

From the Oilers perspective though Kostin really has been a impactful acquisition. With Kane out, they needed an injection of physicality up front without having to get it from a guy with no skills. As BBO said he started out on the 4th line and has worked his way up. So far we have seen solid two-way play and a lot of recent chemistry with Nuge and Janmark. I like him with Nuge since Nuge typically does very well with guys who play a simple game but who have enough skill to finish when the chance arises. Of course it is too early to tell if this is a change-of scenery success story. But this trade was low risk for both teams but could end up being a win-win.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Playing with McDavid helps too lol
His best performances have been with Nuge.

He hasn't played much with McDavid. Plus when you play with McDavid if your name is not Leon Draisatl your primary job is to get him the puck, work the boards and head to the net. Then be ready because a chance could come out of nowhere.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It happens. Some players simply don’t get it until a trade sometimes. Change of scenery trades can be important for that. Don’t think the guy is going to be a top 6 guy for the Oil or anything but I think he will be a solid bottom 6 guy, simply because he ramped up his physicality so he is always doing something positive. It’s never a knock on the org they came from, just guys need a wake up call.

I still deep down think Samorukov has a higher ceiling once he gets his feet under him and I hope he starts playing for you guys soon.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Oilers fans can come here and gloat all they want, if that is, in fact, what they’re doing.

There are maybe 2 or 3 members here who give a shit.

By the way, I don’t think Oilers fans are gloating. I just think they’re excited.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Oilers fans can come here and gloat all they want, if that is, in fact, what they’re doing.

By the way, I don’t think Oilers fans are gloating. I just think they’re excited.
I can speak for myself and guys like @Fourier and @CycloneSweep, that is not our intention. We have been on the side of craptacular trades and had it rubbed in our faces as Oilers fans so we know what that feels like. We really do wish the best for Samorukov and hope that Kostin can become a consistent NHL player whether it's a 2nd, 3rd or 4th liner. This trade will not cripple either team the way that the Griffin Reinhart trade really screwed us for instance. In a perfect world Kostin becomes a 2nd liner for us and Samorukov becomes a top 4D for you guys. The bottom line is that neither would be happening under the clubs that drafted them. If you guys were the Leafs, Canucks, Flames, Ducks, Vegas, etc. we wouldn't be having the same mindset of hoping for a win/win trade! Looking forward to hearing good things about Samorukov because many of us were very high on him at one point before injuries derailed his career a bit.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I can speak for myself and guys like @Fourier and @CycloneSweep, that is not our intention. We have been on the side of craptacular trades and had it rubbed in our faces as Oilers fans so we know what that feels like. We really do wish the best for Samorukov and hope that Kostin can become a consistent NHL player whether it's a 2nd, 3rd or 4th liner. This trade will not cripple either team the way that the Griffin Reinhart trade really screwed us for instance. In a perfect world Kostin becomes a 2nd liner for us and Samorukov becomes a top 4D for you guys. The bottom line is that neither would be happening under the clubs that drafted them. If you guys were the Leafs, Canucks, Flames, Ducks, Vegas, etc. we wouldn't be having the same mindset of hoping for a win/win trade! Looking forward to hearing good things about Samorukov because many of us were very high on him at one point before injuries derailed his career a bit.
Right on, Mod!

As a long-time Oilers fan, I would love to see McDavid and Draisatl raise the Cup more than once. And I think I safely speak for most of HFBlues that they feel the same.

Most of us here enjoy having other teams' fans join us. Again, I never thought you guys were gloating or whatever, but that you are genuinely excited. I f***ing love that!! Hockey is the best sport ever!

As you already know, I was never a fan of Kostin, but I like the updates from Oilers fans. Klim is much better off staying in NA for as long as he can. It's safer. Good luck to him.

Cheers and go Oilers! (except when you play the Blues, in which case we shall unleash some zero point on the oil)

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
was watching old hockey videos and Gassoff got two fighting majors and two misconducts on the same bench clearing brawl against the Rangers
I totally remember when Bob Gassoff died. This ceremony is digging up some old Blues member berries.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Samorukov has getting been some praise from the Springfield Thunderbirds people, and has apparently been doing well down there which is a good start. I'm just not sure he'll ever have a place on our roster unless our injuries continue piling up and/or he's able to win the position away from a handful of guys in front of him on the depth chart.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

we are confused how we actually did a good trade for us. We all were very high on Sami and when we heard we were getting KK--most of us went who. This is one of those under the radar trades that could help both teams. Sami is a good all around D man and on the oiler board we thought he was developing nicely. Our D is a joke right now

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Such a dumb trade. Trading away a big, physical young power forward before you give him a real chance to play.

Reactions: blueswede22

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Such a dumb trade. Trading away a big, physical young power forward before you give him a real chance to play.
Maybe if he acted like he actually wanted to be in the NHL he would still be here. Blues gift wrapped him NHL play time multiple times and he didn't do anything with it and let players like Toropchenko surpass him. How about we blame the player instead of trying to Blane management for everything. Kostin got traded because Kostin didn't do what he needed to do to continue to be an NHL player.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Maybe if he acted like he actually wanted to be in the NHL he would still be here. Blues gift wrapped him NHL play time multiple times and he didn't do anything with it and let players like Toropchenko surpass him. How about we blame the player instead of trying to Blane management for everything. Kostin got traded because Kostin didn't do what he needed to do to continue to be an NHL player.
He had plenty of time. He wasted it. we will see whether he can keep this up. Sometimes it takes a trade to wake up a knucklehead before they finally get it.

Reactions: Linkens Mastery

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

He was only given a couple games here and there.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
He was only given a couple games here and there.
That's just factually wrong. He was gift wrapped 1/2 a season last year. Where he was played up and down the lineup trying to get him literally anything and he never could do anything no matter what line he was on besides a couple games.

Reactions: Blueston

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
That's just factually wrong. He was gift wrapped 1/2 a season last year. Where he was played up and down the lineup trying to get him literally anything and he never could do anything no matter what line he was on besides a couple games.

I didn’t think 40 games is enough to evaluate somebody. What’s the hurry to run him out the door?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
When ROR, Tarasenko, Barbashev and Acciari are all gone next year, wouldn’t it nice to have Kostin on the 3rd line? I just dont understand what the rush was to move him.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
When ROR, Tarasenko, Barbashev and Acciari are all gone next year, wouldn’t it nice to have Kostin on the 3rd line? I just dont understand what the rush was to move him.
Pretty sure kostin wanted a change of scenery. We had a player who we felt didn’t fit and both the team and the player wanted a change. So we made a trade for a position of need which was left defense. It hasn’t worked out for us so far but good on kostin for improving

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad