Confirmed with Link: Blues trade Kostin to Edmonton for Samorukov

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Kostin two goals, penalty drawn, penalty taken halfway through the game tonight. Best I’ve seen him play, though that’s a pretty low bar to clear.
Until the good starts regularly outweighing the bad, this is probably nothing more than Klim teasing his talent. He’ll likely go invisible (at best) to noticeably bad over a coming 20-game stretch and keep getting dressed simply because the coach knows he has the talent to do what he just did last night…even if it’s just lightning striking every 15 games or so.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I was hoping Kostin could finally become a solid role player this year, but then I thought he looked pretty bad in the preseason. Maybe we gave up a year too early, but maybe it was never going to happen for him here.
He has become somewhat of a Cult Hero in Edmonton. His interviews are awesome. We have some idiots for press in Edmonton and Kostin made them look like fools. The fans loved it

• Haha
Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Until the good starts regularly outweighing the bad, this is probably nothing more than Klim teasing his talent. He’ll likely go invisible (at best) to noticeably bad over a coming 20-game stretch and keep getting dressed simply because the coach knows he has the talent to do what he just did last night…even if it’s just lightning striking every 15 games or so.
Yeah, he's at a whopping 2nd to last xGF with 45%. He's the same Kostin, the goals are just coming right now for him and even then it's not that many

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Not to diminish how Kostin is doing, but Calle Rosen has the same stats in less games played. However, I am glad to see that Kostin is doing fairly well. I’m just still skeptical that he’ll keep it up.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I think that he is likely a bottom 6 guy long term. Strong on the puck, plays fairly physical and is a decent passer and shooter as well. I think that your depth in the bottom 6 is what made him redundant. Our bottom 6 badly needed a player like him and realistically could still use another guy like him. He is making the most of his opportunity here and looks like a solid depth NHL player.
that's good to hear, but... that's WAY off his potential.. which has kinda been the issue all along

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
A couple Edmonton posters have come here to crow about Kostin becoming a contributor for them, had cheaply. I think they’re looking for some angst from our fans, but I’m just happy for Klim if he manages to stick. Very skeptical, but happy.
not to be argumentative, but I don't get that from the Oiler fans posts. did I miss something?

they said they had a need for bottom 6 players, and this afforded KK something he couldnt get here in STL.. TOI in the bigs
like someone else said, we have plenty of those players here, and when KK looked lost out there (which was way too often) he'd get sat for someone else. that's just the way it works here

I'm just wondering if there was some kind of conflict with him and the coaching staff. no evidence for that, mind you, but would make sense for the short leash

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
that's good to hear, but... that's WAY off his potential.. which has kinda been the issue all along
He started on our 4th line and has worked his way up to our 3rd line (2nd line with Draisaitl out). He has been solid for us and seems to keep getting better. He's also one of a very few players on our team that plays with an edge so he's gained a lot of fans that way as well. If his upside is a 3rd liner that's still fine by me, but he might eventually become a top 6 option if he is able to keep building on his game. I don't see top line upside, but as far as I'm concerned he has brought something positive to a team that lacked depth so I am pleased with the trade since we have 2 guys in Broberg and Niemelainen ahead of where Samorukov was for us. I haven't kept up with Samorukov, but hope that he's doing well for you guys as well.
Kostin two goals, penalty drawn, penalty taken halfway through the game tonight. Best I’ve seen him play, though that’s a pretty low bar to clear.
He has had some very good chemistry with RNH (this season might be the best that he has ever played) and Matthias Janmark of all people. He seems to be fitting into the team, asking questions of guys like Hyman and Draisaitl about how to better protect the puck and he is working hard out there.
I was hoping Kostin could finally become a solid role player this year, but then I thought he looked pretty bad in the preseason. Maybe we gave up a year too early, but maybe it was never going to happen for him here.
Sometimes a change of scenery is needed. Look at Puljujarvi for example, he will probably be better once he goes to another team too. As an Oilers fan I have seen my team sell low and then the players blossom under better coached teams with better depth. This is nice seeing the shoe on the other foot for a change, Hoping that the change of scenery benefits Samorukov as well as he's always seemed like a solid guy with more to give potential wise.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not to diminish how Kostin is doing, but Calle Rosen has the same stats in less games played. However, I am glad to see that Kostin is doing fairly well. I’m just still skeptical that he’ll keep it up.
This is why you guys could afford to make such a trade in the first place. We didn't have that depth so Kostin got the opportunity that he needed and he has made the most of it so far. Likewise Samorukov was also down the depth chart so hopefully he can also get his opportunity with you guys.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
not to be argumentative, but I don't get that from the Oiler fans posts. did I miss something?

they said they had a need for bottom 6 players, and this afforded KK something he couldnt get here in STL.. TOI in the bigs
like someone else said, we have plenty of those players here, and when KK looked lost out there (which was way too often) he'd get sat for someone else. that's just the way it works here

I'm just wondering if there was some kind of conflict with him and the coaching staff. no evidence for that, mind you, but would make sense for the short leash
Yeah, you missed something. Go back and review the posts since the trade and you’ll find some that were simply pot-stirring. Not so much the most recent couple. But the point was about my reaction to Klim’s “emergence”.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Didn't win anything with him though, so who cares at the end of the day.

Yeah, I doubt he was ever gonna make it here but he's getting more of an opportunity in EDM. The Oilers are a top-heavy team with poor depth while the Blues have been one of the deepest teams at forward for years. He was always gonna have to fight for a spot in the lineup here, and there were too many guys ahead of him on the depth chart for him to have a realistic shot for top 9 minutes.

I'm not surprised he's producing more in EDM as he always had the potential to do more, but he had plenty of chances to prove himself here and he didn't.

Reactions: MissouriMook

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Playing on McDavids line tonight

But samorukov was called up today too.

Battle of the waived

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This is Ty Rattie all over again. Same posters thrilled about Kostin and certain we made a mistake moving him were pencilling in Rattie for 30 goals next to McDavid a few years ago.
I do think Kostin can play a role, but it's as a 4th liner. He's not quite the same as Rattie in that he's top 6 or bust, but I'm not sure he ever fully accepts a 4th line role, where his contribution is simply physical play.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
If you designed a person in a lab to take the most seflishly stupid, ill-timed penalties to harm his team, it would be Klim Kostin, and today is yet another day when he is not in the Blues organization, so we have that going for us.

If they get into the playoffs, there is going to be a crushing moment when he totally screws the Oilers with one of these penalties, watch.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I do think Kostin can play a role, but it's as a 4th liner. He's not quite the same as Rattie in that he's top 6 or bust, but I'm not sure he ever fully accepts a 4th line role, where his contribution is simply physical play.
Agreed. He is more versatile than Rattie. I just don’t think we’ll grow to really regret moving him.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

They don't call him Klim Coastin' for nothing. Wait, was it only me who called him that?

He could be very effective as a modern tough guy who can occasionally chip in offense but he'll have to accept his role. The problem with him was consistency. He'd tease you with his talent, then disappear for long stretches. Someone like Ryan Reaves will always leave an impact even if he's only playing 5-8 mins a night. That's what Kostin should aim for. Do something to make an impact every night.

Reactions: Blueston

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Even with Kane out, if Klim Kostin is a placeholder on McDavid's line that is a sad indictment for Edmonton.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad