Seravalli: Blues shopping Binnington

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
It's a flat out jerk move. They signed him, now they want to trade him after he got them a Cup? Only classless organizations trade their key players. :sarcasm:
That contract was a gift his play didnt deserve jist as a thank you for the cup. He was merely average the next season and then awful in playoffs. He was then average again last year whem we signed him midseason, and was again not stellar in playpffs though we did leave hom lut to dry vs avalanche.

We were nice enough to give him that contract. His ability does nptndeserve the 6x6 he got. He is an average goalie making top dollar. Hes worse this year from a rough stretch where he got lit up but mostly is an average goalie. The cup was a team win as his play durimg those playoffs was actually close to league average. He got us tp the ayoffs that year, but the binny rhat was on fife the first 2 mo ths of his callup was.never gonna be the long term binnington.

Only thing is husso may be flash in pan just like binnington

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
It's a flat out jerk move. They signed him, now they want to trade him after he got them a Cup? Only classless organizations trade their key players. :sarcasm:

Actually the team is merely rectifying a overpayment mistake they made. Binnington caught lightening in a bottle and was overpaid for a small window of evaluation. The all star goalies prove themselves year in and year out by performing above your avg net minder...

Hockey is ultimately a business, and fans should expect their respective teams to correct mistakes and strive to achieve, hanging out a player simply because he played some role in winning a cup or playoff series while his current performance is nowhere near the paid salary expectations.

Look at Crawford and Rask Crawford is obviously the better of the 2 goalies but he was making 3 million less , however rask still was a Allstar goalie year in and year out..

Binnington was merely a fluke

Reactions: Szechwan

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
We've pretty much known that Army has been aggressive in trying to free up cap space and going after LHD targets. This piece said there wasn't any traction, so probably not much to discuss. It's worth making a call to see if a team is interested.

FWIW, he has looked better since his break, but teams won't take that risk on until he has a longer stretch of solid play.
and the team in front of him has played better too

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
It’s weird how the Blues are tryimg to dump Binnington and go with the hot goalie . What happens if the same thing happens to Husso that is currently happening to Binnington? So toos Binnington away , go with Husso , sign him to huge $$ , and what happens if Husso regresses ? Rinse and repeat? Just seems a little odd to me to repeat a potential mistake.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
An average at absolute best goalie... even teams like Edmonton and Toronto should aim higher.
Guess you blacked out what his “absolute best” looks like from your memory.

Tarasenko had negative value a few months ago too. Doubt there’s a deal that makes sense out there right now tho

Last edited:

JTRAIN1966

Jul 18, 2012
Imperial, Mo.
All i keep seeing is, the Blues are going to have to retain to get rid of Binnigton .

Couldn't be further from the truth . Armstrong gotten rid of Lehtera's albatross of a contract ( took 2 first rounders ), & found a way to shed Sabotka, Berglund as well .

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
It’s weird how the Blues are tryimg to dump Binnington and go with the hot goalie . What happens if the same thing happens to Husso that is currently happening to Binnington? So toos Binnington away , go with Husso , sign him to huge $$ , and what happens if Husso regresses ? Rinse and repeat? Just seems a little odd to me to repeat a potential mistake.

Husso has the pedigree as a highly rated goalie prospect for quite a while whereas Binnington came out of nowhere. Pedigree matters in profesisonal sports. Also, just watching them play you can tell Husso has more talent. I see what you're saying but I would feel quite comfortable rolling with Husso as my future goalie.

Reactions: Eggtimer

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Husso has the pedigree as a highly rated goalie prospect for quite a while whereas Binnington came out of nowhere. Pedigree matters in profesisonal sports. Also, just watching them play you can tell Husso has more talent. I see what you're saying but I would feel quite comfortable rolling with Husso as my future goalie.
Both had very similar pedigrees, and we just haven't had time to see Husso regress to his mean yet. Last season was his low, this season is his high, but where does Husso settle in at. Binnington and Husso at their best are about equal, both can absolutely steal games.

Reactions: Laphroaig

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

Idk, winning a cup sounds like a pretty damn good pedigree

Reactions: JTRAIN1966

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Is St. Louis retaining half his contract? Below average G w a big contract sounds like adding more problems as opposed to any kind of solution

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Both had very similar pedigrees, and we just haven't had time to see Husso regress to his mean yet. Last season was his low, this season is his high, but where does Husso settle in at. Binnington and Husso at their best are about equal, both can absolutely steal games.

I guess I just meant that Husso was widely considered a top 5-7 goalie prospect before he played in the NHL and I don't remember Binnington having that same expectation. He kind of just arrived with a dominant rookie season but has regressed every year since that run.... reminds me of another Blues goalie who played well early on then falls off a cliff (*cough* Jake Allen). Same thing could happen to Husso but it just looks different to me. Also could be a bit of bias because I've been quite high on him.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I guess I just meant that Husso was widely considered a top 5-7 goalie prospect before he played in the NHL and I don't remember Binnington having that same expectation. He kind of just arrived with a dominant rookie season but has regressed every year since that run.... reminds me of another Blues goalie who played well early on then falls off a cliff (*cough* Jake Allen). Same thing could happen to Husso but it just looks different to me. Also could be a bit of bias because I've been quite high on him.

Binnington played great in the 2019-2020 season until the covid break. As for the bubble playoffs no one on the team cept for Faulk looked good so how Binnington played is irrelevant. 2020-2021 season we had half our team hurt most of the time and Parayko had a back injury that severely limited him and they played him through it anyway. Binnington while his numbers didn't look good was a major reason we were even able to make the playoffs. This year Binnington was playing good and was the reason we were able to hang around in a lot of the games we were completely outplayed in, then he got covid and has not been the same since.

Cape

Dec 31, 2019
Finland
Actually the team is merely rectifying a overpayment mistake they made. Binnington caught lightening in a bottle and was overpaid for a small window of evaluation. The all star goalies prove themselves year in and year out by performing above your avg net minder...

Hockey is ultimately a business, and fans should expect their respective teams to correct mistakes and strive to achieve, hanging out a player simply because he played some role in winning a cup or playoff series while his current performance is nowhere near the paid salary expectations.

Look at Crawford and Rask Crawford is obviously the better of the 2 goalies but he was making 3 million less , however rask still was a Allstar goalie year in and year out..

Binnington was merely a fluke
You think Crawford is better than Rask? Otherwise i agree with you.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Guess you blacked out what his “absolute best” looks like from your memory.

Tarasenko had negative value a few months ago too. Doubt there’s a deal that makes sense out there right now tho

His absolute best was giving up 4+ goals every other game in the playoffs behind a stellar defensive system. He is what he always has been.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
His absolute best was giving up 4+ goals every other game in the playoffs behind a stellar defensive system. He is what he always has been.
You realize that only happened twice in the Finals, and both games the team was completely flat and got rolled. One was the 1st home game where it was an emotional high and the other was the chance to win at home, another emotional high where the team was distracted by the moment.

crying-marchand.gif

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Don't forget about the fact that he had a record of 8-2 and a GAA of 1.46 and a SP of .944 in 10 starts that playoffs involving Games 5-7. Pure garbage. Anyone can perform like that when the games don't mean anything.

Reactions: IndimusPrime

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
The only team that could do it ARZ or OTT. I am sure they will want a draft pick attached to the player or take back some garbage like Matt Murray.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad