Seravalli: Blues shopping Binnington

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
In theory something like

Binnington @ 5m AAV for Mrazek and Kerfoot + draft pick would get St. Louis out of the term of that deal and save the Leafs 1M in cap space for the deadline while addressing goaltending.

Especially if St. Louis flips Kerfoot for a 3rd they could likely get the Leafs 2nd and another teams 3rd and half Binnington's caphit and term in the process. Would help both teams.
Delusional. There is no market for Binnington no a team can absorb that contract without taking back significant Salary. You would have to look at Matt Murray in OTT. Also no chance the Leafs trade Kerfoot, who is having a career year...lol

Reactions: teddygmr

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
His numbers are bad on a better defensive team . He is not the answer in Edmonton . Then the fact Edmonton doesn't have the cap space also has to be considered .
Where are you getting blues are better defensive team? They rank bottom in leagje acrosd almost all defensive metrics xga, x5vs 5 ga, high danger scoring chances against. Etc.

The cup winning team was good defensively. But petrangelo and bouwmeester are gone. So is gunnarson, dunn, and edmondson.

Parayko and bortuzzo only defensemen from that team remaining and parayko has regressed while bortuzzo was basically a 6th/7th defenseman

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Where are you getting blues are better defensive team? They rank bottom in leagje acrosd almost all defensive metrics xga, x5vs 5 ga, high danger scoring chances against. Etc.

The cup winning team was good defensively. But petrangelo and bouwmeester are gone. So is gunnarson, dunn, and edmondson.

Parayko and bortuzzo only defensemen from that team remaining and parayko has regressed while bortuzzo was basically a 6th/7th defenseman
I agree with all of this, but it's worth noting that Parayko has looked really good the last few weeks. And Faulk has been really good for us the last couple years. But you're right, we're still not even close to how good we were defensively when we won the Cup. We have yet to replace what Bouwmeester brought.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'd love him in Toronto. He's the kind of winner this team needs. Doubt there's a way to make the cap work tho, Blues would want no part of Mrazek.

Binnington and Campbell would be quite the tandem of polar opposite personalities. It'd be nice if his mean streak could rub off on Campbell a little bit.

At the end of the day I don't see the Blues trading him at all tho
He is playing bad in STL right now, now imagine being in the pressure cooker that is TO with playoffs looming? Also, TO can't afford him due to cap space.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I love all the references to his stellar play during the Cup winning season, and nothing about him being 0-9 with a sub .900 and 3.5+ GAA in the playoffs since. The only way a trade would make sense is if another team had another overpaid struggling goalie they'd both take a risk on swapping.

Maybe a change of scenery would do him good and he'd bounce back, but right now he's at best a mediocre backup.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I love all the references to his stellar play during the Cup winning season, and nothing about him being 0-9 with a sub .900 and 3.5+ GAA in the playoffs since. The only way a trade would make sense is if another team had another overpaid struggling goalie they'd both take a risk on swapping.

Maybe a change of scenery would do him good and he'd bounce back, but right now he's at best a mediocre backup.

I get what you’re saying. However the first set of 0-5 was in the bubble when the Blues whole team looked god awful. Second set of 0-4 was when they were severely outmatched by Colorado.

Nonetheless, Binner probably isn’t really all that moveable which is fine. Blues are best off going into the playoffs with him vs without him.

A lot of his decline in numbers is pretty well in sync with the Blues decline in defensive group. Our team defense has been brutal this season as we can’t manage to get the puck out. Binnington has had a few games where he let in some bad goals but he’s not a lost cause while in between the pipes out there.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
What's happened to Binnington? He was solid a couple of years ago. Now, he's a below-average goaltender this season.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The Blues have offered a struggling goaltender at the start of a 6 year 6M deal for another struggling goaltender on a 5M contract with 3 years remaining.

Yeah I bet they would.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
The Blues have offered a struggling goaltender at the start of a 6 year 6M deal for another struggling goaltender on a 5M contract with 3 years remaining.

Yeah I bet they would.
Who's that 5M contract with 3 years remaining in his contract?

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
How can you "shop" a player that has a full NTC?

Either Binnington wants out for some reason or this story is just smoke and mirrors.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Not to mention, he was extremely inconsistent in the 2019 playoffs with some fairly terrible performances even behind an absolutely impenetrable defensive system. The hindsight narrative is extremely kind to Binnington.

BattleLevel

Jan 19, 2014
Some team is going to be in for a rude surprise when they make a trade for someone to fix their goaltending situation and they get Jordan Binnington instead.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Some team is going to be in for a rude surprise when they make a trade for someone to fix their goaltending situation and they get Jordan Binnington instead.
Perhaps, they think a change in goaltending coaching can do the job. I can't guarantee benefit from that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad