Rumor: Blues/Sens in serious talks on Brassard/Hoffman (Not both)

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Aging is not near as big of a problem as outsiders tend to believe. We are not wanting to hold on to these prospects just because we love them so much. It's that they fit our needs and our core is fairly young. Pietro 27/28, Tarasenko/ Schenn 26 Schwartz 25/26 Parayko 24/25. That is or main core 3 years does not take any of them out of their prime. If anything it puts some in it. Contractual wise around that time we would need the flexibility to retain them all as Schenn and Pietro have contracts expiring the same year.
ok i accept your explanation the cap s real after all

I just thik youre closer than you realize

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
For what it’s worth, as a Sens fan you can have Brassard for a first round pick.

For Hoffman I would want Kyrou/Thomas, 1st, and one lesser piece.

I'd assume the Blues wouldnt be acquiring Brassard as a rental. He's worth more than a first.

Hanzal had 26 points at the time of the trade last year at the same age roughly. The Wild knew he was probably just a rental. Brassard has 35 at this point and a week to go. He's worth a first and a top prospect. Especially if they're planning on keeping him, as they've shown no interest in signing Stastny as far as I've seen.

On another note, the Blues need to stop trading 1st round picks as it is.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I'd assume the Blues wouldnt be acquiring Brassard as a rental. He's worth more than a first.

Hanzal had 26 points at the time of the trade last year at the same age roughly. The Wild knew he was probably just a rental. Brassard has 35 at this point and a week to go. He's worth a first and a top prospect. Especially if they're planning on keeping him, as they've shown no interest in signing Stastny as far as I've seen.

Yes! They do!

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa

I wouldn’t recommend any team giving up a top prospect and a 1st for Brassard. I think that’s a huge overpayment.

A 1st is more than fair from my perspective.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

WHAT?!? ITs house money we're playing with :)

Guess you don't want to see Doug Armstrongs credit card statements lol

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Normally it seems like on odd years since 2009, we give up the first. But last year we broke that cycle and had 2 1sts (Thomas and Kostin), but this year we start it up again. But I don't think you'll find a single person who would not do the Schenn trade with Philly for this coming years' 1st.

Reactions: Godfather

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I wouldn’t recommend any team giving up a top prospect and a 1st for Brassard. I think that’s a huge overpayment.

A 1st is more than fair from my perspective.

That should absolutely be the asking price though, whether or not the Sens get a team to offer that is another question.

Ottawa should hold all the leverage in this situation. Brass is easily the best C available, he's under contract for a another year and he's having a decent year statisically. For the Sens to just get a first for Brassard would be dreadful, though sadly I wouldn't be floored if that were the return given Dorian's trade history.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007

If the option is between re-signing Stas and trading a 1st + top prospect for Brassard, what would you do?

What do you mean by blues have shown no interest? There haven't been any talks of negotiations as far as I know, but Stas isn't exactly the type of player you should try to sign as soon as there is 1 year left on the deal.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
If the option is between re-signing Stas and trading a 1st + top prospect for Brassard, what would you do?

What do you mean by blues have shown no interest? There haven't been any talks of negotiations as far as I know, but Stas isn't exactly the type of player you should try to sign as soon as there is 1 year left on the deal.
I suspect the team will take Tavares' temperature for coming to St. Louis and have a backup plan for Stastny. I suspect Tavares stays put or goes to another team and that Stastny signs a $5.2M/4yr deal to retire at here like his dad did.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

I havent seen them try to resign him and I also heard something mentioned on NHL radio the other day about not resigning him being the reason they'd have interest in Brassard. I would've thought it was a no brainer. He wants to be there and he's played well enough to earn another contract. Unless he wants some crazy payday but we havent heard that either as far as I know. I would doubt he's asking for $7 million this time around.

If they're planning on resigning him, than there's absolutely no reason to even go after Brassard because of the cost. I'd put less assets into getting a guy like Grabner or Vanek as a rental if that's the case.

Godfather

Feb 13, 2004
I suspect the team will take Tavares' temperature for coming to St. Louis and have a backup plan for Stastny. I suspect Tavares stays put or goes to another team and that Stastny signs a $5.2M/4yr deal to retire at here like his dad did.

I’m not sure he’s worth that amount, & length.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
That should absolutely be the asking price though, whether or not the Sens get a team to offer that is another question.

Ottawa should hold all the leverage in this situation. Brass is easily the best C available, he's under contract for a another year and he's having a decent year statisically. For the Sens to just get a first for Brassard would be dreadful, though sadly I wouldn't be floored if that were the return given Dorian's trade history.

As a Sens fan if I had the choice of trading him for a 1st or holding on to him, I'd definitely trade him for a first.

Leverage goes both ways.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
show me where i said that. you cant because you made it up. i could care less what you do, get that straight. you dont want to trade for players that wil help you get where you want to be that fine. its no skin off my nose. trust me, I couldnt care less than I do. but I do know you only get so many bites at the apple.. you want to waste your chance, thats on you,

i do know that Brassard was a key player on several Ranger playoff runs and rose to the occasion lifting his play in the playoffs, and I know Hoffman scores big goals, not just living of his assists totals If I were Gm Dorian, i wold not trade him at all. but you want to make excuses for why you arent bold enough to go for it thats perfectly ok with me

but know this winning a stanley cup stays with you forever. I was an islander security intern paying my way through hofstra university at the time, and I saw all 4 making $3.55 and hour and they are priceless to me 35 years later. you think you know what your talking about. you obviously believe that anyway. but unlike you I lived it. and im telling you its worth it.

dont believe me I dont care, but on the off chance somebody recognizes the truth when they hear it. Im trying to do you a solid, its up to you whether you accept it or not. those 4 seasons are 4 of the best years of my life, how sad for you if you miss out because you were afraid to reach for the stars'

im 59 now, and i doubt ill live to 65 due to a physical ailment, not that im complaining im not. ive had a great ride. but I do have perspective that you dont. i wouldnt trade those 4 years for anything
Best of luck to you health-wise.

Reactions: 72hockey guy

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Best of luck to you health-wise.
thank you very much

I was born with severe cerebral palsy, but i Had a 27 year Career at the IRS and Revenue Canada (even carried a Gun, on occasion when required) was married and since most people like me dont make 50, im extremely lucky. My parents deserve all the credit, they wouldnt let me feel sorry for myself.

the best thing you will ever do my friend is empower your kids. if you do one thing in this life.....do that. at 15 my mom literally picked me up and threw me out of the house and said: "dont come back till you get a job" sounds cruel, I know but it was the greatest gift she could have given me

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
As a Sens fan if I had the choice of trading him for a 1st or holding on to him, I'd definitely trade him for a first.

Leverage goes both ways.

it does but you migt change your mind if you see him in the playoffs, he definitely picks it up there at least it did with the Rangers

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
thank you very much

I was born with severe cerebral palsy, but i Had a 27 year Career at the IRS and Revenue Canada (even carried a Gun, on occasion when required) was married and since most people like me dont make 50, im extremely lucky. My parents deserve all the credit, they wouldnt let me feel sorry for myself.

the best thing you will ever do my friend is empower your kids. if you do one thing in this life.....do that. at 15 my mom literally picked me up and threw me out of the house and said: "dont come back till you get a job" sounds cruel, I know but it was the greatest gift she could have given me
Well done! I admire your courage and persistence. One of my best friends has severe CP, so I may have a small idea of your situation. Peace to you.

Reactions: Weiss1604

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Would stl fans trade fabbri for brass?

To me, a move like that means they're definitely moving on from Stastny. And if that's the case, they'd also need to trade Stastny for a good return in order for that trade to really interest me. And I doubt that happens.

Even though Fabbri is understandably a risk for other teams, sports medicine is getting better and better and he's a highly skilled, highly intelligent player. He should still have a good career. And with the injuries, his contract should be a bit of a sweetheart deal. Skill on a cheap contract is invaluable right now.

Reactions: Parayko Physics

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Well done! I admire your courage and persistence. One of my best friends has severe CP, so I may have a small idea of your situation. Peace to you.

simon, just encourage him. when my mom did that. i was convinced id never get a job and i could never go home again, but that night I went home and my mom let me in and said you go back out tomorrow, the next day I got my first job. it changed my life. your friend is probably so scared of the future, wondering if he'll ever fit in anywhere. You can be invaluable to him, self confidence changes everything. it did me.

its part of the reason I want blues fans to get a Stanley cup, once you do you'll always have it. it only gets better with time

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
From reading the trade boards, it looks like the Pens might out bid us for Brassard. Hoffman is too expensive for what he is, IMO. I don't think their is going to be a deal.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
To me, a move like that means they're definitely moving on from Stastny. And if that's the case, they'd also need to trade Stastny for a good return in order for that trade to really interest me. And I doubt that happens.

Even though Fabbri is understandably a risk for other teams, sports medicine is getting better and better and he's a highly skilled, highly intelligent player. He should still have a good career. And with the injuries, his contract should be a bit of a sweetheart deal. Skill on a cheap contract is invaluable right now.

Good post. I still think Fabbri is going to carve out a good NHL career so I'd prefer to hold on to him. In the Stastny replacement scenario you laid out, I'd imagine Brassard would have a bit more value than Stas since he's got the extra year. But if Brassard only cost the Sureves first rounder and we could recoup a first flipping Stas with some retaining, that would be okay in my book.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
simon, just encourage him. when my mom did that. i was convinced id never get a job and i could never go home again, but that night I went home and my mom let me in and said you go back out tomorrow, the next day I got my first job. it changed my life. your friend is probably so scared of the future, wondering if he'll ever fit in anywhere. You can be invaluable to him, self confidence changes everything. it did me.

its part of the reason I want blues fans to get a Stanley cup, once you do you'll always have it. it only gets better with time
What he has accomplished so far is already an inspiration. He is almost fully independent and self sufficient. I will of course continue supporting him. Now... if I could only dissuade him from being a die hard Leafs fan ..... :D

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Good post. I still think Fabbri is going to carve out a good NHL career so I'd prefer to hold on to him. In the Stastny replacement scenario you laid out, I'd imagine Brassard would have a bit more value than Stas since he's got the extra year. But if Brassard only cost the Sureves first rounder and we could recoup a first flipping Stas with some retaining, that would be okay in my book.
I agree with you, but I like the idea of having Brassard in the lineup against the Jets and/or Preds in the playoffs. I don't like the idea of going 2 yrs without a 1st, but, if we could recoup it as you suggested ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad