Rumor: Blues/Sens in serious talks on Brassard/Hoffman (Not both)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Believe what you want. There's a reason you never won anything in what 50 years??
Teams win with prime time players. Schwartz is good but he's not that. Even Brassard has been better at coming up with key goals. John Tonelli wasn't a great player by any means, but when it mattered he rose to the occasion.
So the Blues are a Brassard/Hoffman away from cup glory?

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Your post is laugable at best. To imply that hoffman or brassard are game breakers and better than schwartz is just plain ridiculous. Rising to the occasion, did hoffman or brassard win you a cup.

Pretty sure the poster is an Isles fan...

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Believe what you want. There's a reason you never won anything in what 50 years??
Teams win with prime time players. Schwartz is good but he's not that. Even Brassard has been better at coming up with key goals. John Tonelli wasn't a great player by any means, but when it mattered he rose to the occasion.
You've already stated that you basically don't watch the Blues play other than against the isles. How is anyone supposed to take your opinion on the team seriously? Please stop acting like you know the Blues' players/team better than people who watch 70+ regular season Blues games every year. You are embarrassing yourself, and it's frankly insulting.

Reactions: Colt55

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
You've already stated that you basically don't watch the Blues play other than against the isles. How is anyone supposed to take your opinion on the team seriously? Please stop acting like you know the Blues' players/team better than people who watch 70+ regular season Blues games every year. You are embarrassing yourself, and it's frankly insulting.
show me where i said that. you cant because you made it up. i could care less what you do, get that straight. you dont want to trade for players that wil help you get where you want to be that fine. its no skin off my nose. trust me, I couldnt care less than I do. but I do know you only get so many bites at the apple.. you want to waste your chance, thats on you,

i do know that Brassard was a key player on several Ranger playoff runs and rose to the occasion lifting his play in the playoffs, and I know Hoffman scores big goals, not just living of his assists totals If I were Gm Dorian, i wold not trade him at all. but you want to make excuses for why you arent bold enough to go for it thats perfectly ok with me

but know this winning a stanley cup stays with you forever. I was an islander security intern paying my way through hofstra university at the time, and I saw all 4 making $3.55 and hour and they are priceless to me 35 years later. you think you know what your talking about. you obviously believe that anyway. but unlike you I lived it. and im telling you its worth it.

dont believe me I dont care, but on the off chance somebody recognizes the truth when they hear it. Im trying to do you a solid, its up to you whether you accept it or not. those 4 seasons are 4 of the best years of my life, how sad for you if you miss out because you were afraid to reach for the stars'

im 59 now, and i doubt ill live to 65 due to a physical ailment, not that im complaining im not. ive had a great ride. but I do have perspective that you dont. i wouldnt trade those 4 years for anything

Last edited:

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
show me where i said that. you cant because you made it up. i could care less what you do, get that straight. you dont want to trade for players that wil help you get where you want to be that fine. its no skin off my nose. trust me, I couldnt care less than I do. but I do know you only get so many bites at the apple.. you want to waste your chance, thats on you,

i do know that Brassard was a key player on several Ranger playoff runs and rose to the occasion lifting his play in the playoffs, and I know Hoffman scores big goals, not just living of his assists totals If I were Gm Dorian, i wold not trade him at all. but you want to make excuses for why you arent bold enough to go for it thats perfectly ok with me

but know this winning a stanley cup stays with you forever. I was an islander security intern paying my way through hofstra university at the time, and I saw all 4 making $3.55 and hour and they are priceless to me 35 years later. you think you know what your talking about. you obviously believe that anyway. but unlike you I lived it. and im telling you its worth it.

dont believe me I dont care, but on the off chance somebody recognizes the truth when they hear it. Im trying to do you a solid, its up to you whether you accept it or not. those 4 seasons are 4 of the best years of my life, how sad for you if you miss out because you were afraid to reach for the stars

We aren't bold enough to go for it because we are not that good of a team. We are wildly inconsistent which in the playoffs kills a team. We are relying on Carter Hutton playing otherworldly right now. Tarasenko doesn't look right. Schwartz is still slightly recovering. Parayko has been fantastic but he's not a game breaker offensively. Pietro has cooled off. Schenn and Schwartz are a great duo still but Schwartz isn't fully healthy. We are in an extremely competitive conference right now and are not guaranteed to make the playoffs. We have two phenomenal prospects who fit our team needs and look like they may be ready next year. Why make a leap of faith when we can just sit back?

Also, were those Islanders championships in the cap era? Where ELCs are extremely important to building a championship level team, don't think so. Call these excuses if you like but adding another 5-6m/ year winger while trading our best chances at cap flexibility seems pretty dumb to me. But hey what do I know. I've never seen a cup in my lifetime.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Trying to value Hoffman vs Brassard? I'll help y'all out :laugh:

Sens want;

Thomas and a 1st for Brassard
Thomas and Kyrou and a 1st for Hoffman

Blues move their cap dumps to someone else for picks or whatever they feel is reasonable.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
We aren't bold enough to go for it because we are not that good of a team. We are wildly inconsistent which in the playoffs kills a team. We are relying on Carter Hutton playing otherworldly right now. Tarasenko doesn't look right. Schwartz is still slightly recovering. Parayko has been fantastic but he's not a game breaker offensively. Pietro has cooled off. Schenn and Schwartz are a great duo still but Schwartz isn't fully healthy. We are in an extremely competitive conference right now and are not guaranteed to make the playoffs. We have two phenomenal prospects who fit our team needs and look like they may be ready next year. Why make a leap of faith when we can just sit back?

Also, were those Islanders championships in the cap era? Where ELCs are extremely important to building a championship level team, don't think so. Call these excuses if you like but adding another 5-6m/ year winger while trading our best chances at cap flexibility seems pretty dumb to me. But hey what do I know. I've never seen a cup in my lifetime.
bleed, i respect that position, honestly i do. the Isles of 77 and 78 were talented, but wildly inconsistent too, but Al Arbour a St Louis natie by the way may he rest in peace, convinced Bill Torrey that Butch Goring was the missing link and the GM traded his first ever draft choice Billy Harris and a young top 4 Defender in Dave Lewis for Goring ad the rest is history. you team is better than you think. or at least I believe it is. but if you think youre not I'll trust your opinion youre there and see them every day, I dont

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Trying to value Hoffman vs Brassard? I'll help y'all out :laugh:

Sens want;

Thomas and a 1st for Brassard
Thomas and Kyrou and a 1st for Hoffman

Blues move their cap dumps to someone else for picks or whatever they feel is reasonable.

sens ive been defending your players so I know how good they are, but thats too much. youre over the top with both of those. and i like both players

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
sens ive been defending your players so I know how good they are, but thats too much. youre over the top with both of those. and i like both players

That's the list price at SoA variety... and I don't think the ask is that far off the mark... but I appreciate that not all buyers would agree.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Blues need to move one of those guys outside the trade back to Ottawa

But from an Ottawa perspective I don't see how it makes sense unless its accompanied with a pretty large return. Which from a Blues perspective it doesn't seem like they are willing to add assets like Thomas, Kyrou or Fabbri.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
But from an Ottawa perspective I don't see how it makes sense unless its accompanied with a pretty large return. Which from a Blues perspective it doesn't seem like they are willing to add assets like Thomas, Kyrou or Fabbri.
I'm ok with trying to trade them elsewhere to get the kind of return we want or we keep them ... no rush on either one of them

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I'm ok with trying to trade them elsewhere to get the kind of return we want or we keep them ... no rush on either one of them
I completely agree with you. That is the position I would take if I were a Sens fan. As a Blues fan, I value Thomas, Kyrou and the 2019 1st more than Brassard or even Hoffman. So we shake and walk away.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
That's the list price at SoA variety... and I don't think the ask is that far off the mark... but I appreciate that not all buyers would agree.

i accept that. but just because Sakic brutalized Dorian, doesnt mean he gets to rape Amstrong is all im saying, and I fully get ierre needs a win in the worst way. and Honestly I dont really blame dorian, I blame Melnyk the cheap bastard

Last edited:

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
Don't know why senators are interested in Carl Gunnarson , seems surprising to me but I guess they're looking for top four defence as they only have one recognised top 4 guy & he's well quite frankly been well below par this season . Chlapik + batherson seems alot to pay to me but adding a third in this year's deep draft seems a gross overpayment . Melnyk looking to make an impact trade in his new roll . The future is bright in Ottawa peeps & don't their loyal , outstanding & knowledgeable fanbase deserve it . Let's go sens !!

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
what about Kyrou Thomas and a 1st for both Brassard and Hoffman at50 % retention, both sides give and meet needs. could that work?

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
bleed, i respect that position, honestly i do. the Isles of 77 and 78 were talented, but wildly inconsistent too, but Al Arbour a St Louis natie by the way may he rest in peace, convinced Bill Torrey that Butch Goring was the missing link and the GM traded his first ever draft choice Billy Harris and a young top 4 Defender in Dave Lewis for Goring ad the rest is history. you team is better than you think. or at least I believe it is. but if you think youre not I'll trust your opinion youre there and see them every day, I dont

It's just hard to justify and expect a team to turn it around when one game they look like a legit contender for two periods and then one period they look awful, no drive, no nothing it's painful. Next game we just sit back and take it then all of a sudden theee games down the road we dominate a great team. I don't get it something just isn't right, not sure if it's desire or something else that only someone in there could know.

Regardless, if the cost is the two prospects which we need the most to be a legitimate contender then I'm out. If Hoffman was a RW who is right handed and had the same production from that side? Sure I'd be willing to part with Fabbri/Kyrou + something along those lines. But another left shot left wing is redundant due to our quality on that side and depth.

Same for Brassard, what does he bring that Stastny does not? I can for sure tell you whatever it is isn't monumental enough to trade one of the two prospects, same situation with the upgrade over Sobotka/Berglund. Admittedly I didn't know Brassard salary was only 3.5/ year im honestly shocked they are considering trading him unless the internal budget isn't really that strict.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
It's just hard to justify and expect a team to turn it around when one game they look like a legit contender for two periods and then one period they look awful, no drive, no nothing it's painful. Next game we just sit back and take it then all of a sudden theee games down the road we dominate a great team. I don't get it something just isn't right, not sure if it's desire or something else that only someone in there could know.

Regardless, if the cost is the two prospects which we need the most to be a legitimate contender then I'm out. If Hoffman was a RW who is right handed and had the same production from that side? Sure I'd be willing to part with Fabbri/Kyrou + something along those lines. But another left shot left wing is redundant due to our quality on that side and depth.

Same for Brassard, what does he bring that Stastny does not? I can for sure tell you whatever it is isn't monumental enough to trade one of the two prospects, same situation with the upgrade over Sobotka/Berglund. Admittedly I didn't know Brassard salary was only 3.5/ year im honestly shocked they are considering trading him unless the internal budget isn't really that strict.
been there, that was the isles of 78, its a slippery slope because everyone ages, by the time Kyrou and Thomas are are established, to say nothing of if they do. others will be older, none of us know what the future holds. I just see alot of mid 70's isles in the blues

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I’m assuming that I’m unaware of half of this thread. I’m also assuming that’s why I’m not nearly as dumbfounded as some of the posts I DO see.

Just a friendly reminder: this website has a block feature. :)

Reactions: Weiss1604

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
been there, that was the isles of 78, its a slippery slope because everyone ages, by the time Kyrou and Thomas are are established, to say nothing of if they do. others will be older, none of us know what the future holds. I just see alot of mid 70's isles in the blues

Aging is not near as big of a problem as outsiders tend to believe. We are not wanting to hold on to these prospects just because we love them so much. It's that they fit our needs and our core is fairly young. Pietro 27/28, Tarasenko/ Schenn 26 Schwartz 25/26 Parayko 24/25. That is or main core 3 years does not take any of them out of their prime. If anything it puts some in it. Contractual wise around that time we would need the flexibility to retain them all as Schenn and Pietro have contracts expiring the same year.

Reactions: Weiss1604

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
For what it’s worth, as a Sens fan you can have Brassard for a first round pick.

For Hoffman I would want Kyrou/Thomas, 1st, and one lesser piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad