Rumor: Blues/Sens in serious talks on Brassard/Hoffman (Not both)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Caley, what is this guy like as a source? Haven't seen his name before.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Schenn Stastny Brassard Brodziak down the middle, with other center options of (Berglund/Sobotka) Steen Sundqvist Thompson Barbashev Megan.

Looks pretty good. D is good, goalie tandem is good, wingers are fairly good but maybe can use a small upgrade as well. Too bad Fabbri wasn't healthy.

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

Says the Blues are interested in Hoffman and Brassard but that they would be acquiring one, not both.

Mentions Fabbri, Sobotka and/or Berglund going back the other way.

If that is what is being talked about as a return, I pray it's Brassard being talked about over Hoffman. And also picks coming back from the Blues

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The Sens should demand one of Kyrou or Thomas as the main piece going back.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. Armstrong has a way of stretching a dollar and making it cry. I imagine if the Sens wanted one of those guys, the deal may be something like Kyrou + Sobotka +2nd. Between Sobotka and Berglund, Berglund is the better player and I know some Blues fans will lose their s*it about this, but it's true.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
An offer involving Fabbri and Hoffman was rumoured to be turned down by the Blues. I am really curious as to what Ottawa's ask is now.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
A year and a half of Brassard isn't going to get you as much as you think and he's the one I'd target if I'm the Blues.

Hoffman has twice the term and I don't see the Blues being that interested in him; they will not want to dedicate that much money on a "long term deal" (He has what, 3yrs left on his contract?), just how Armstrong works.

A year and a half of Brassard isn't worth a cornucopia of picks and prospects.

Last edited:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If it’s Hoffman it has to be Fabbri but if Brassars I think Sobotka plus picks will do it

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Brassard for Berglund, 2nd 2018 & 1st 2019.

Is hope we'd just re-sign Stas at the pick price. If it's Hoffman sure but I'm going to go ahead and guess it would be more of Fabbri and a 2nd barring medical exam and extreme confidence on OTTs side. Was rumors from the STL side that GMDA turned down Fabbri for Hoffman not sure what the adds where or if it was 1 for 1

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
I have no interest in Sobotka or Berglund. Ottawa needs to clear salary and add young players and picks. This does not accomplish that.

Ditto.
They are solid top 9 role players for a team contending now, but they are the antithesis of what Ottawa should be looking for. We need young cost controlled talent, not 30 year olds with 3-5 years of term left at 3M+.

I did like Robby Fabbri before he got hurt. But Haven't kept up on his status/recovery after his setback earlier this season.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Ugh, this again. Hope it's wrong like the first time. There are way better teams to trade with for Brassard, and Hoffman shouldn't even be part of a discussion at this point. We will lose a deal with St Louis.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yesterday Armstrong said he would not trade any prospects for rentals, but did not rule out doing it for signed guys.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
A year and a half of Brassard isn't going to get you as much as you think and he's the one I'd target if I'm the Blues.

Hoffman has twice the term and I don't see the Blues being that interested in him; they will not want to dedicate that much money on a "long term deal" (He has what, 3yrs left on his contract?), just how Armstrong works.

A year and a half of Brassard isn't worth a cornucopia of picks and prospects.

I don’t expect a ton of picks and prospects, but adding Berglund and/or Sobotka does not help Ottawa.

A 1st/2nd and a young roster player/prospect is a fair ask in my mind.

Props for using the word Cornucopia though. Good word.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Something has to give on this Blues roster. Especially now that they’ve traded for Soshnikov and activated Sanford from IR.

Would be surprised if one of Berglund or Sobotka were NOT moved. (Not that it would have to be in a deal with Ottawa persay)

As far as the names mentioned here, I’m very hesitant to trade any of our big 4. I just don’t know that I think any of the names we could get justify speeding up the window when it feels like we should be in a good position in the next couple of years.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Ottawa is going to get fleeced if they make a deal with the Blues, especially if they are stupid enough to trade Hoffman at this point.

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. Armstrong has a way of stretching a dollar and making it cry. I imagine if the Sens wanted one of those guys, the deal may be something like Kyrou + Sobotka +2nd. Between Sobotka and Berglund, Berglund is the better player and I know some Blues fans will lose their s*it about this, but it's true.

Berglund is definitely the better player. Not by a ton, but in pretty much all the ways that count. I'm done with Sobotka at this point and I'd take a draft pick for him just to get him off the powerplay. If they can actually unload him and spare parts for a better player, I'll give Doug Armstrong a massage he won't forget.

The reason you'd move Berglund, instead, is because of salaries and level of interest, obviously, but god I hope it's Sobotka. The recent timing of putting him back at center is a little suspicious to me, but maybe I'm reading tea leaves.

Brassard makes too much sense because they'll be terrible if they can't/don't re-sign Stastny and can't land another center. Hopefully that doesn't make the Blues desperate or appear desperate to a trade partner.

Reactions: simon in canada

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I’d be extremely surprised if Berglund would waive his NTC for Ottawa.

The Blues have a lot of prospects who are going to be pushing for a roster spot, plus Fabbri as a question mark going into next season. We have a lot of bottom-6 guys who are blocking the way for these prospects. So we’ll definitely be involved in trades before the start of next season.

It just won’t be Thomas or Kyrou involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00