Seravalli: Blues pursuing Timo Meier

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Seems blues fans have spoken. We are just not interested in timo. Prob should close thread

I’m interested, just not for this years top 6 pick, next years #1, Snuggerud or Bolduc.

If they want the two late 1sts this year and whatever we get for Barbs, then sure.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why does it not? This was posted on a hockey board, did you expect Armstrong would reply here and not fans?
Because it's irrelevant if fans want it. If it's reported that the actual team has interest then it's worth discussing. The Blues' fans in this thread that have a God awful take on Meier don't get to make the call on whether the team has interest or not.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
we all sit here and type behind a screen our opinions and thoughts speculation, some based on rumors, some based on actual reporting that are based on rumors. It’s all interesting stuff to think about and to talk about and debate and all that. Why would you just want to close the thread because some virtual GM’s who think they actually have a say, and what happens with these pro sports teams in the NHL? That is insane. Let the discussion continue we can debate go back-and-forth make proposals people can say what they won’t do what the blues won’t do with the sharks will do what the sharks won’t do it’s all part of why we come here you don’t just stop having a discussion because one group of fans doesn’t want to entertain the discussion .
Well, then, those fans can leave the thread and not come back to it but I’m sure that there are other people that still will find this whole situation Interesting. Apologies if my auto correct on my iPhone has scrambled a lot of what I’m trying to say but I’m doing talk to text while I’m driving.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Agreed. It’s a recipe for mediocrity most times.
The Blues need to get some more high end talent through the draft. Then they can look at these type of deals.
I mean I can see them getting back to the playoffs with this strategy but they won’t be a real contender.
The picks they got from Ny and Toronto are going to be late 1sts, they will have their own 1st which will be much higher and more likely to land “high end talent”.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So.... Do the Blues now send Parayko to Ottawa for a package around Ottawa's 2023 1st, and then send the OTT + NYR + TOR 1sts all to San Jose for Meier?

Others might not agree but IMO that would be some savvy GM work from Armstrong and a real opportunity to pull off a successful 1 year retool. As much as I dislike that entire franchise.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
So.... Do the Blues now send Parayko to Ottawa for a package around Ottawa's 2023 1st, and then send the OTT + NYR + TOR 1sts all to San Jose for Meier?

Others might not agree but IMO that would be some savvy GM work from Armstrong and a real opportunity to pull off a successful 1 year retool. As much as I dislike that entire franchise.
If the Blues did get Ottawa's 1st in 23 I'd much rather them keep it than trading it for Meier. But that's just me.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009

Nah. I think realistically, in my opinion, the best we could hope for is Ottawa and Toronto’s one in the early to mid teens one late in the first.

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
I’m interested, just not for this years top 6 pick, next years #1, Snuggerud or Bolduc.

If they want the two late 1sts this year and whatever we get for Barbs, then sure.
Why though 10 mil in qualifying. One defense is in shambles, we have to many wholes to fill. Time to just rebuild.

• Haha
Reactions: Fist of Fury
Dec 15, 2002

If Ottawa trades their 1st in 2023 for Parayko, even at 50% retention by the Blues, Sens fans should forcibly march Dorion from Ottawa to Alaska by way of the Arctic. And I can't imagine a package from the Blues that makes it worth Ottawa to send its 1st this year that does not include Snuggerud or someone else currently considered 'untouchable' by Blues fans. [No, I would not put MV63 in that group.]

But pretending that Armstrong suckers Dorion into it, trading for Meier and putting him on the top line isn't covering the hole that results from shipping Parayko out, even if Parayko has been craptastic most of this year. Someone has to fill those minutes, and throwing a rookie or 2nd year defenseman out there - or god forbid, Perunovich - isn't going to cut it. That's going to be another move, and at some point Armstrong is going to have to surrender someone considered untouchable to get a piece he can build around on the blueline. Or, he can keep trying to half-ass the defense.

It can't be really mediocre forever when it's largely composed of mediocre guys, right?

We’d sign him to an 8 yr deal
This presumes he'd sign an 8-year deal. And, given Armstrong's stances, it would have to be an 8-year deal without a NMC of any kind, without a full NTC for the entire contract, and without any signing bonus at all. Might want to find all of that out before investing all that trade capital, especially since you can't condition picks on whether/when/where a player signs or not.

Can Armstrong convince him to forego all of that?

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
We’d sign him to an 8 yr deal
At 10 mil and he would leave at 35. Let's just get our top 5 and 2 or 3 top 20-32 picks so we can properly draft the areas we need to fix. The defense is in shambles. We need to rebuild. We don't need to waist assets on timo.

That would be a helluva 1st round
I would love it if the Blues were able to draft leo carlson

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
If we get Ottawa’s 1st this year, we better not unload all these for Meier. I’d rather go after Will Smith, Ryan Leonard, and Reinbacher. One of the other 1st’s packaged to move up for Leonard.
I would like to somehow see Zack Ostapchuk in the deal. he profiles as a bottom six guy, but skates very well for a big man and comes to play every night. Be a great young player to have for the future.

StlBill

Jul 1, 2018
I would like to somehow see Zack Ostapchuk in the deal. he profiles as a bottom six guy, but skates very well for a big man and comes to play every night. Be a great young player to have for the future.
Watching team Canada at the world juniors, outside of Bedard (obvious), him and Stankoven were surprising stand outs for me. On the flip side, I really thought Brandt Clarke looked bad.

Would love to get Ostapchuk in a possible Parayko deal.

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
Watching team Canada at the world juniors, outside of Bedard (obvious), him and Stankoven were surprising stand outs for me. On the flip side, I really thought Brandt Clarke looked bad.

I think we need to draft carlson 2nd or 3rd over all.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I feel like it's a move that teams need to do more often.
I was saying he should have done it an entire core before he started doing it. Army would for the longest time demand hockey trades and it a big reason he pissed away Oshie’s value. Seemingly he learned from it but now he is rumored to be fixated on jumping the gun and trying to retool too fast.

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis

That is an unfortunate name.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad