Half-Assed GDT: Blues Oilers: bounce back or crash landing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Nice win! I had stuff going on with my kids this evening and didn't even want to check the score out of fear we were going to get smacked. This one was a pleasant surprise for sure.

Looks like Neighbours had another strong game and Thomas bounced back from a tough one v. the Leafs.

Edmonton starting to cool off a bit losing 3 of their last 5. Looking back at that long winning streak they had a lot of games against some very weak opponents.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Neighbours is the newest Blues' true power forward, in the Keith Tkachuck tradition. He just needs one more for 20, and, being hot, he might even get up to 30, with about 30 games left. His gritty net-front play will be a big boost for The Blues in the playoffs. Great to see him finally clicking as an NHL difference-maker.

I'd like to say something similar about Perunovich, if only he could stay healthy enough to develop his NHL game.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Nice win! I had stuff going on with my kids this evening and didn't even want to check the score out of fear we were going to get smacked. This one was a pleasant surprise for sure.

Looks like Neighbours had another strong game and Thomas bounced back from a tough one v. the Leafs.

Edmonton starting to cool off a bit losing 3 of their last 5. Looking back at that long winning streak they had a lot of games against some very weak opponents.
A terrific game. He scored his 19th goal, and had his first 2-assist, 3-point game, while stationing himself in front of The Oilers' net every time The Blues were inside The Oilers' zone. He fought hard to hold his position there. He also screened Skinner from seeing shots on a couple other goals for which he didn't get assists. Adding a little more bulk and engaging in fisticuffs, and maybe we'll have the new Gordie Howe! :laugh:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
That’s not what was posted. He may end up having the best Blues career when it’s all said and done, but he’s not close to the best goalie we’ve had.
brodeur wasn't still great when he was here. was washed-up gretzky best player we ever had? i say not even close. he may be greatest of all time, but that is on what he did in edmonton and la. here he was fading star who turned puck over to yzerman to eliminate us.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
for a guy who had a goal and an assist, i thought kyrou was pretty crappy all game.

I agree. Personally, I'm VERY disappointed in his lack of development and improvement in several different aspects of his game. He's had several seasons with The Blues, and still hasn't improved his moves and shooting when driving in on goal. Ascoring forward should have been constantly working on that while in Juniors, and also during his first few or several seasons in The NHL. He HAS finally improved a bit in his play both on offence, and on defence, when he doesn't have the puck. He has been making an effort to back check some, but it's more sporadic than it should be. He seems to be skating harder and trying harder more often, but still coasts at times. All the while, Thomas has been improving much more and pretty much steadily. He is a fast skater and a good shooter from the slot and mid-distance, in general, but seems to lack both offensive and defensive awareness compared to other relatively young scoring forwards with his level of NHL experience. Personally, I'd like to see Armstrong trade him and get a haul for him before other GMs realise that he's got lower upside than a lot of people thought, despite seemingly putting up reasonably good-looking numbers. I don't think he's a "winning player".

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Saad is my hero

Blues were sucking fumes
he had been conserving energy by being useless all night until the eng. and lest you think i am joking, that was his only shot of night, he had no assists, blocked shots, or hits either. he is a remarkably useless player so much of the time; we just rarely notice bc we has so many other mediocre forwards, but the numbers in his case tell the story. his inactivity makes hayes seem high energy in comparison. kapanen we all get on because he sucks, but kap displays his lack of talent so obviously that we tend to notice how bad he is, saad has talent but just doesn't care to use it most of the time. so we don't realize it

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Your team is getting bitch slapped by a team that has played like hot garbage all year and HAS the worst PP in the western hemisphere.
That should read "HAD the worst PP". They've been scoring at 24-25% rate since Neighbours was placed on The 1st PP Shift (last 9-10 games?). Their rate for the whole season is now about 15-16% and climbing (up from a low of 7.3%).

Reactions: LogosBlue

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Kessel with points in back to back games now. Was 3rd in TOI among our d-men tonight and led the team with 6 blocked shots and 3 hits.

He doesn’t play a flashy game by any means, but he continuously shows good signs. He’s willing to play that gritty game that we need back there. I think jumping up in the play and using his shot more will come with added experience and confidence. But for a player with only 20 NHL games under his belt, I’m happy with him.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Maybe it won't be this year, but this team will be serious cup contenders again sooner than we think. :nod:

Binnington looked awesome (legit, franchise #1 G, don't @ me).
Krug looked awesome (yep! :yo:).
Neighbours (wow)
Thomas (what else is new :lol:).

We have a lot to be happy about. :yo:

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Maybe it won't be this year, but this team will be serious cup contenders again sooner than we think. :nod:

Binnington looked awesome (legit, franchise #1 G, don't @ME).
Krug looked awesome (yep! :yo:).
Neighbours (wow)
Thomas (what else is new :lol:).

We have a lot to be happy about. :yo:

Krug had a couple bad giveaways on the PP, but he also deserves a lot of credit for playing a whopping 26 minutes and making some big plays at both ends of the ice. Pretty crazy that he got so much ice time, but I guess it's because we spent so much time on the PP due to the Oilers complete and utter lack of discipline. Parayko was extremely solid as well and Scandella also deserves some props. Not easy playing defense against the Oilers, that's for sure. Kessel 6 blocks in 18 minutes of ice time, damn!

But Binner had a huge game, which has been pretty standard for him this year. MVB, MVB!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad