Proposal: MTL - STL

St Louis515

Nov 18, 2018
As a Blues fan, I would do that, St Louis needs to get a #1 damn moving forward, I would then take the Kyrou money and try to sign Stamkos to a 2-3 year deal for Kyrou's money. Perfect 2nd line center, leader, again something missing since ROR left.

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
As a Blues fan, I would do that, St Louis needs to get a #1 damn moving forward, I would then take the Kyrou money and try to sign Stamkos to a 2-3 year deal for Kyrou's money. Perfect 2nd line center, leader, again something missing since ROR left.
If Stamkos is taking a 2 or 3 year deal it is in Tampa. Stamkos wants a 7 or 8 year deal.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I've seen way worse proposals; value isn't making me think "ARE YOU CRAZY??" or "the other fanbase is going to have a Sh*t"!, so Kudos. Mtl is also looking for a top 6 winger and this addresses that.

However, I think Mtl here says no here for the same reason STL would want #5; though Kyrou is a "known" value that can play now, the draft may be deep enough that #5 overall may have a higher chance to help a team in a meaningful way. At the very least, it may simply give STL a 6 years window to replace kyrou with, if a rebuild is in the cards.

I'd say no, but id definitely see if there is interest in other assets (mtl is especially loaded at D right now), maybe coupled with later picks.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
I like Kyrou but I would rather make the pick or try and go even bigger if we're moving that pick. Now if we could discuss Robert Thomas....

Well, if you are talking about Thomas, then you are definitely adding.

He is a low-end / mid-range #1 C today, and still has room to improve. There needs to be something other than just the pick to make it worth while.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Well, if you are talking about Thomas, then you are definitely adding.

He is a low-end / mid-range #1 C today, and still has room to improve. There needs to be something other than just the pick to make it worth while.
Yeah I would expect to add although I don't think we'd be talking pieces like Guhle, Caufield etc. more in that next tier. If we're trading a high value piece like 5th overall I'd rather add and go BIG than settle

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Yeah I would expect to add although I don't think we'd be talking pieces like Guhle, Caufield etc. more in that next tier. If we're trading a high value piece like 5th overall I'd rather add and go BIG than settle

Right, I think some Blues' fans are dead set on keeping Thomas, since true #1 centers has traditionally been very hard to come by for the franchise.

Some would be willing to consider, if there is a great package that includes #5 and another big piece. It just need to solve our problems, which right now is the future of D, front and center. The forward corps of prospects are among the best in the league, the D by comparison is non-existent, probably not a single top-4 D in the future ATM. So that might be the only thing that would make the Blues budge, if there are two big pieces of future D coming back.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
So what will he get to sign with a team like the blues?
Why would he sign with a team like the Blues? Blues are not a playoff contender, then you trade your leading goal scorer from the past two years for a full future's package. Why does Stamkos look at the Blues and say "oh damn, might as well go to a team who won't win in my final years in the NHL"

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I respect the opinions that Blues fans wouldn’t trade a known commodity who is still fairly young and one of the few proven offensive weapons currently on the roster but I do this all day long if I’m St. Louis. You free up a ton of financial flexibility, you can look at signing a free agent or making another trade for a shorter-term scoring wing replacement and you can draft the centerpiece of your blueline overhaul.

Thomas is obviously the guy you can’t move. You’ve got Neighbors already showing goal scoring chops. Bolduc coming on strong at the end of the year and Snuggerud should arrive in the fall of ‘25 as a ready made top six wing option. Add in Dvorsky, Stenberg, Dean etc and Hofer in net and you’ve got a tremendous core.

Seems to me that the blueline is missing that formative transitional piece. Lindstein is gonna be solid and a guy like Buchinger is underrated but at some point you’ve got develop some more internal options to replace the Parayko/Faulk/Leddy/Krug era. If you tell me you can add a Buium, Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson or Yakemchuk to the rest of your young pieces - now you are cooking with gas in all areas. And I don’t think it’s gonna take long for some of the stud defenseman in this draft to hit the NHL.

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
My best guess would be anywhere from 2-4 years depending on the AAV he's looking for. Absolutely no one is going to sign a contract that takes him into his 40s.
Looks like the Blues are the front runners for Stamkos -https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/jon-cooper-on-tampa-bay-lightning-pending-ufa-steven-stamkos-he-belongs-here-1.2113352

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Looks like the Blues are the front runners for Stamkos -https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/jon-cooper-on-tampa-bay-lightning-pending-ufa-steven-stamkos-he-belongs-here-1.2113352
It is communicating the high chance of Stamkos staying in Tampa & the zero chance of him signing with the Blues as some think this is an option.
I never implied the Blues would be in on signing him, I simply stated that he wouldn’t be getting a max term deal. And that 2-4 year deal projection is a blanket statement for wherever he may sign.

Reactions: Blueswin

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Right, I think some Blues' fans are dead set on keeping Thomas, since true #1 centers has traditionally been very hard to come by for the franchise.

Some would be willing to consider, if there is a great package that includes #5 and another big piece. It just need to solve our problems, which right now is the future of D, front and center. The forward corps of prospects are among the best in the league, the D by comparison is non-existent, probably not a single top-4 D in the future ATM. So that might be the only thing that would make the Blues budge, if there are two big pieces of future D coming back.
I would do #5 and any young D in the system but Guhle, Hutson, Reinbacher + a long shot like Kidney or Tuch. Would sting to give Mailloux along with #5 but I'd probably bite on it. I'd guess he's young enough for St. Louis to keep and continue building around in any case

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I would do #5 and any young D in the system but Guhle, Hutson, Reinbacher + a long shot like Kidney or Tuch. Would sting to give Mailloux along with #5 but I'd probably bite on it. I'd guess he's young enough for St. Louis to keep and continue building around in any case
What if #5 was off the table but the deal was built around Kyrou and Guhle as the two main pieces?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
What if #5 was off the table but the deal was built around Kyrou and Guhle as the two main pieces?
I'm VERY high on Guhle so while I don't think the value is out to lunch I just wouldn't be interested. If someone like Struble or Xhekaj took a bigger step this year I might bite but I just feel like Guhle is poised to be too important long term. Also just don't necessarily want to target a guy like Kyrou when we already have a lot of small skilled guys

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Id Pass, but Xhekaj + id think about.
I'm VERY high on Guhle so while I don't think the value is out to lunch I just wouldn't be interested. If someone like Struble or Xhekaj took a bigger step this year I might bite but I just feel like Guhle is poised to be too important long term. Also just don't necessarily want to target a guy like Kyrou when we already have a lot of small skilled guys
Trading Guhle so young smells like the Ryan McDonagh trade.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A 5th for Kyrou or Guhle for Thomas...

They say that the best trades are the ones both sides feel the pain.

Losing Guhle, our 22 year old defensive cornerstone is going to hurt a LOT. He's our physical Weber without the canon. Well, he does have a canon but is defensivly focused. As I'm sure losing Thomas is going to hurt too.

The only upside is that if Mailman and Hutson are the real deal, Habs are going to contend in a few years. If those two are meh, we filled a hole and just made a hole in our defense.

• Haha
Reactions: Shwabeal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad